Start by marking “Ruffskin (Dance with the Devil, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ruffskin (Dance with the Devil, #4)

Ruffskin (Dance with the Devil #4)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  400 ratings  ·  39 reviews
An ordinary rainy day at the Bremen is interrupted when a strange courier shows up with a package for Peyton Blue, the Bremen's much-loved owner and bartender. When the package turns out to be a piece of Peyton's past and brings that past violently into the present, it is up to Johnnie to resolve a years old problem and put the past where it belongs once and for all.

8,400
Published March 28th 2012 by Less Than Three Press (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ruffskin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruffskin

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
173rd out of 608 books — 1,418 voters
With Caution by J.L. LangleyChange of Heart by Mary CalmesWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
248th out of 692 books — 995 voters

More lists with this book...

Arthur
Full 5 stars

Johnie and Grimm is my favorite couple, so I'm happy to read this. While the story is about Peyton, the wolf who was a bartender in Johnnie's bar, the story follows The couple's actions. There was a mutiny in Peyton's former pack, and his former lover, Hudson, was involved. A very dire crime was committed. It's up to Johnnie and Grimm to solve it.

A beautifully done story. Very dark topic that is seldom found in m/m stories. Yet, the banters and closeness between Johnnie and Grimm are
ttg
Jul 10, 2013 ttg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: reviews, m-m
A fun short story sequel to Derr’s Dance in the Dark. Here, we revisit with the Dracula’s adopted, mystery-solving son Johnnie, his protective bodyguard/love interest Grim, and the rest of the Bremen bar crew as they face a mystery around a missing werewolf, one from lone wolf Peyton’s past.

At around 9,000 words, it’s a pretty quick read, but still very fun to visit again with these characters, especially Johnnie and Grim, who so much love to bicker with each other just as much as they love to m
Ami

This sidestory to Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) is a short case related to the mysterious package sent to Peyton Blue, Bremen's bartender.

It's really good to read Johnnie and Grim again -- and to read how Johnnie can still be grumpy (the story is opened with Johnnie being totally jealous of Grim's ex *grin), while Grim is patiently loving him. I love these two!! Unfortunately, it is not quite long enough story related to Peyton himself (related to his past, to the man he
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Johnnie and Grimm are great, and I was happy to see them again.
This story was theirs even if Peyton and Ruff were reunited again, they just didn't have any real on page time.
Ms Derr dealt with a horrible issue very carefully and with sensitivity.
Definitely recommended for fans of Dance in the Dark.
Cole Riann
Review posted at Brief Encounters Reviews.

The Dance with the Devil series has several books that are only loosely related to one another by worldbuilding, so Ruffskin follows immediately after Dance in the Dark and deals with the same characters. It is important to read that novel first, because this short story does not stand on it's own. All of the character building and relationships are forged in the novel, and I would have been lost if I had not read it first. I was still a bit lost, actual
❧Gwen❤❦
3 Stars~

I Don't think I'll ever get enough of Johnnie and Grimm~

So why only 3 stars, when I love Johnnie and Grimm and can never get enough~

Ruffskin....The book, well I did not feel fulfilled" Ruffskin" and Peyton's story some of their pages seem missing~
L-D
This was a cute little short from the Dance with the Devil series by Megan Derr. Specifically, it is an offshoot of Dance in the Dark where we met Johnnie, the adopted son of the Dracula, and Grimm, his reaper boyfriend. In this short, Peyton Blue, the werewolf bartender of Johnnie's bar, Bremen, is given a Rolex from a mysterious stranger. Johnnie must solve the mystery of the Rolex and find its owner.

This was a good story, although short. I enjoyed it as a medium for giving me more of the char
Carissa
Peyton Blue, the bartender of the Bremen, has been on the outs with his old pack for some time--mostly because he decided to curb his Alpha's malicious tendencies by killing him, and all the Alpha Candidates. It solved the problem quite handily, but got him a death sentence. To avoid getting dead, by wolfy means, Peyton ran to the Dracula Desrosiers' territory and took up bar tending. Unfortunately he left some unfinished business--and an unfinished romance--back in Pack Blue territory. And now ...more
Amanda
A strange figure comes into Bremen looking for the bartender, Peyton. Now Johnnie is tracking the stranger to solve a mystery that goes back to Peyton's old pack.

This short story is the perfect little quick read and follows Dance in the Dark nicely.

*You need to read Dance in the Dark before reading Ruffskin
Mandi
This was AWESOME. Loved seeing Johnnie and Grim again. :)
Melanie
Jul 14, 2012 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Rating: 5 stars

It is a typical night at The Bremmer, it’s pouring outside and Johnny is arguing with Grimm inside over an alleged flirtation at a party they just left. A messenger interrupts them looking for Peyton Blue, the werewolf coowner and bartender of The Bremmer. The strange courier has a package to deliver, one that has an immediate effect on their beloved barkeep. When Grimm chases after the courier, he disappears under a magical spell.

The package is from Peyton’s past, bringing with i
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 Hearts

A stranger leaves a parcel for Peyton, who then reacts badly to seeing it. Johnnie and Grim set out to get to the bottom of the mystery.

This is a great little short story for those of us who are fans of Johnnie and Grim. Johnnie and Grim come to the aid of Peyton when a parcel is delivered and a mystery begins. Peyton ends up being attacked by members of his former pack, as they look for the Alpha Candidate. and the alpha candidate has fled them f
Murmurella

Ruffskin IS book IV in the series, but it comes right after Dance in the Dark. As it says in the very beginning of Ruffskin: "Ruffskin takes place after Dance in the Dark, and is best read after that story."

I don't know when the books were published, but chronologically Midnight should come first, then Dance with the Devil, then Dance in the Dark, then Ruffskin.
Sammy Goode
In the delightful short story, Ruffskin, Megan Derr once more gives us the delicious dup of Johnny (a near “norml” part time detective that was raised by Vampires) and Grim (yes—the Grim Reaper—collector of souls). I LOVE these two characters—both of which were introduced in their own spectacular book, Dance in the Dark.

When we left Johnny and Grim, they had become a happily established couple, who were deeply in love and quite possibly the feistiest duo around. I was so glad to see Johnny’s pen
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
That's interesting. . . The first non-4-star rating average in the series. I'm very intrigued now. Maybe I'll bump this up my reading list. What's even more interesting is that Ms Derr has repeated the mains for another book. Huh.

-------

I loved this book. Adored it. As much as every other "Dance" .book
It was so short and I was so distraught upon finishing it that I even tried tricking myself into believing that I had a faulty copy and really, it was a Lord-of-the-Rings-length novel.

And no, as un
Sarina
Johnnie is back in this short story only this time trouble has come to his bar and Peyton pays the price. This story revolves around Pack Blue and the ongoing troubles the pack has faced since Peyton left many years before. The story is a short one and there isn't a hell of a lot of details about the pack but I found it wasn't really needed with this story. It was just a nice excuse to see Johnnie and Grim again and to step back into this universe. If you like the rest of the series like I do, y ...more
Deeze
Loved this little short.

Great to catch up with Johnnie and Grim.

Very light on actual plot but still a fun read
Narelle
Good little short story.
Nice to see Johnnie and Grim again
K
Very short story within the Dance with the Devil universe and picking up after Dance in the Dark. When Peyton, the part owner and barman of The Breman receives a gift an attack by the wolves of his former pack is not long in following. Johnnie and Grim are sent by the Dracula to investigate and locate the deliverer of the watch. Fun short story with a nice chance to see these characters again.
Diane
It is so much fun to reconnect with the characters from Dance in the Dark, even for a short vignette such as this. It's really more of an epilogue and if you haven't read the original book, please stop now and do so... You are in for a wonderful treat.

Julesmarie
It was nice to get to see more of Johnnie and Grim.

I felt so bad for Peyton and Ruff, that they'd been so close to each other for so long and that fears and hurts from the past kept them apart. I would have liked to have seen a chapter or two (I want to say epilogue, but can you have an epilogue for a short story?) at the end to show how Peyton and Ruff are doing.
Ilona
I gave this only 3* because it seemed rushed and didn't really give me a feeling of a full story. There was a cameo appearance of Johnnie and Grim but the main romance of Peyton seemed like it had something missing. Not that what was there wasn't good because actually it was very good, it just wanted as much as the story deserved.
Jane (PS)
I think it would be hard for Megan Derr to write a book I don't enjoy. She is always consistently good/great! Whilst this was short, it was still a mostly complete story. However it is more an add on to Dance in the Dark. I waited to read as book 4, but in retrospect I should have gobbled it up as a short after book 2!
Steffany
This deserve five stars just because we can read more of Grim/Johnie, they're my favourite couple! XD

It's a short story (too short! >_<) about Peyton, but it was really hard to focus in something else than Grim and Johnie XD
Tamela
Much too short. Much as I loved seeing Johnnie in full on jealous mode over Grim's ex, I think I would love to learn Peyton's backgroun and how he ended up exiled from the Blue pack and Hudson, the one he loved.

Recommended.
Emily
I loved seeing more of Johnnie and Grim! It was nice to see Peyton get a HEA. My only problem with the story was that it was too short. I can't wait to see more of Johnnie and friends!!
glossedcurls
3.5 But it was really too short, I would have loved to read more about Peyton and Hudson's past. And definitely would have loved to read more about Johnnie and Grim.
Asitha
I love the Dance 'verse, and Johnnie and Grimm are my favorite couple. It was very nice to be able to see them again. This was a very enjoyable read.
blub
A very short story that follows [i]Dance in the Dark[/i]. Story centers around Johnnie and Grimm solving a case that pops up involving an attack on Peyton.
Ayla
**Re-read 2014, Short but awesome. Loved getting to see Johnnie & Grim again. Though I would love to know more about Hudson & Peyton.
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Body Magic (Triad, #2)
  • A Shadow of a Dream
  • Arson of the Heart
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Lone
  • Hunter of Demons (Spectr, #1)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Unforgiven (Fae #3)
  • Inheritance
  • Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2)
  • Good Bones (Bones #1)
  • Hell Cop 2
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
More about Megan Derr...

Dance with the Devil (7 books)
  • Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1)
  • The Glass Coffin (Dance with the Devil #1.5)
  • Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2)
  • Midnight (Dance with the Devil, #3)
  • Sword of the King (Dance with the Devil, #5)
  • Dance Only for Me (Dance with the Devil, #6)
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue (Love is Always Write) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) Prisoner (Kria, #1)