Stalking  Shadows (Scary Mary, #2)

Stalking Shadows (Scary Mary #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Mary’s back, and she has to help Vicky, her nemesis. While on a date, Vicky gets into car wreck that leaves her in a coma. Through dreams, she reaches out to Mary for help. Mary isn’t happy to help her, but she’s willing to do almost anything to get the cheerleader out of her head.
Published (first published October 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Stalking Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalking Shadows

Sophie Duncan
Jan 02, 2012 Sophie Duncan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Paranormal YA
Well, this is a first for me, a sequel that is better than the original.

This book felt much more confidently written, the pace was better, the plot developed more dramatically, no sudden gear changes that didn't feel quite right (that is not to say there are no sudden gear changes, but they worked as dramatic devices) and the plot did not rely on High School clichés nearly as much. There were some interesting developments on the loose ends from the first book too, character development I wasn't...more
grumpybybirth
Better then the first. If its possible this book was even better then the first. You can see Mary starting to really embrace her gift and use it well.

Mary is coming out of her shell a bit and learning to let people in. She is facing tougher challenges and kicking butt.

This story had me tearing up at the end. Mary has gone through so much and mixed in with the sadness and pain she is finding some friends that she didn't expect.

Great story and I am waiting anxiously for the next in the series.
Sharon Jenni
Mary's nemisis, Vicky the cheerleader and most popular girl in the class, continues to harass Mary. When Vicky is injured, the only "friends" to visit her in the hospital are Mary and Rachel (Mary's best friend since little girls). Mary and Rachel volunteer at the hospital and hear of Vicky's accident. When Mary's special ability tells her Vicky is in danger, Mary works to save Vicky even though Vicky has been incredibly mean even forcing other children be mean to Mary. I like Mary's integrity.
Stuart

A reasonable sequel to Scary Mary, though I had the niggling feeling that more could've been done in this book. Too much seem to be wrapped up too quickly. At times it had a short story feel to it. I know this book is only young adult market, still that does not stop the author adding any more to the plot. So in summary it felt more Scooby Doo than Harry Potter.
Melanie Pietrowski
wow! Kyle & Mary... who would have thought! didn't see that coming in book 1, but started thinking it mid way through book 2. definitely hooked and patiently waiting for book 3! homecoming! Such an awesome series! Great writing.
Nellysa
3.5 Stars
Might contain spoilers from book 1 and 2

Vicky Nelson, know as Mary's nemesis, is in a comma because of a car accident she had together with Cyrus. Now, the Shadowman who lives inside the hospital where Vicky is wants to hurt her, and the only one who can save her is, of course, our Scary Mary

Mary
I understand that Mary is just a teenager, and being teenager isn't a fun thing to be most of the time because everything is like:
Or
But, Mary, needed to realized URGENTLY who was by her side all...more
Kristin
These books are super short and surprisingly entertaining. I would have finished it sooner but I was obsessed with finishing my latest knitting project.

The first book was pretty funny while still being suspenseful as Mary tried to rid her new friend's house of a nasty ghost. This one was a bit more scary as Mary got the bejesus scared out of her by the Shadowman. This one was also a bit more uneven. I found her grandmother's bipolar attitude a bit weird towards the end. I got what Hunter was tr...more
Lisa
Better than the first. Looking forward to book #3. Just wish Chowder would have stuck around. :(
Cyndi
Wow. These books are just incredible. The characters are unique, and the writing just paints the perfect picture. This book had my heart pounding, and also had me laughing out loud (Chowder has to be the best side character ever). This is certainly a must read!

All issues I had with the first book were fixed in this one. Normally I can predict what is going to happen, but this book threw me completely off guard (much different than the first one). Very well done! I will be snatching up the next b...more
Danielle
I hope the author writes more books in this series.
Heike
Dieser Teil ist voller Überraschungen!
Vicky wendet sich im Traum hilfesuchend an Mary! Und die ist tatsächlich so großherzig und bemüht sich redlich das Problem zu lösen.
Cy, den ich im 1. Teil noch richtig schnucklig fand, entwickelt sich in diesem Buch zu einem richtigen Blödmann!
Auch wieder mit dabei ist ihre Freundin Rachel, die ihr immer hilfsbereit zur Seite steht; Kyle, der sich mit jeder Seite mehr in mein Herz geschlichen hat, und natürlich ihre Gran, die mal nicht fehlerlos war.
Das B...more
Angela

I'm ready for book three.
(This review may contain spoilers).

Anyone who has read my review of Scary Mary will know that I really struggled to finish it because of personal reasons. Not so with this book. I was actually relieved to see the bullying take a backseat and it was interesting that Vicky reached out for Mary's help. I'm really curious to see if Vicky does in fact have psychic abilities. I'm figuring that she must do, if she was attacked as well.

Speaking of Vicky... she actually showed that there was more to her...more
Aubrey
Just as good as the first! I love it! Mary and Rachel are at it again, this time to help terrible Vicky, who was in a car accident with still POS Cy. But now Cy's brother, Kyle, whom Mary rescued from his possession in the first book, is hanging around Mary. And let's just face it, he is really starting to redeem himself from the way he treated her in the beginning of the previous book. While their budding relationship is by no means prominent in the story, it is there and I really enjoyed their...more
Randi Kerr
The sequel IS better. Lots better... Although I'm still not feeling Rachel. If you even kind of liked the first book, give this one a go. It's still a light, easy read that you might expect but there's so much more character building.

And also, the big reveal is less obvious than the first one. I kinda wanted to hit Mary for not seeing the locket for what it was in the first one.
Betsy
Cute, can I call a creepy, yet hauntingly charming story cute? This was the 2nd, and I'm 99% sure final book in this series. Do you call 2 books a series? Anyways, Mary is back again to help solve the mystery of the comatose-cheerleader-nemesis Vicki, and to save the day for not only herself but for others in need. Sounds like a Nancy Drew novel doesn't it? I'm pretty sure this is the 2013 version of Nancy Drew, "Modern Nancy".

I had a lot of fun with books 1 and 2 in this series, and I'm probab...more
Vikki Sonin
Heaven Winters
Excellent following

Excellent following

I so thoroughly enjoyed the last minute twist threw me for a loop!! excited to read part three of the series!!
Darlene
Feb 01, 2012 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yvensong
Recommended to Darlene by: Chris
I liked this, the sequel of Scary Mary, better than the first. The characters seemed fleshed out more, especially those with skeletal structures holding them upright. The story was less about high school bullies and more about a girl with abilities beyond those of her peers. I found that refreshing. Bullies may always be there giving them any attention seems to give them power over us. Let just get on with being alive and in our own power.

So Mary isn't so scary, neither is Gran. Rach is a bit sc...more
Paul
Well I knocked this one over in two days so this sequel must be better than the original. Even though it's a young adults kind of book, I liked it.
Melanie
Loved it! Better than the first. I thought the setting and new "monster" was original and lent to a darker feel than the first book.
Well, she did it again. Hunter brings Mary and crew back for another creepy, yet fun adventure full of wit, snark, creeptastic moments and a whole lotta heart. The sophomore slump certainly did not beguile Hunter as she leads Mary down a new path, helping those she never intended (or really wanted to), introduction of new and exciting characters, continued development of existing ones, and the prospect of far more to come! Honestly one of the best series I've come across in some time.
I really like the characters and the supernatural elements to the story. However, it's harder for me to like the high school drama parts and the stuff that affects fifteen year old girls seems pretty silly to me at times. The first 40 percent of this book seemed to have too much of that in it, but when it gets to the ghostly happenings I remembered why I enjoyed the first book so much. I bought book number three, so I do recommend this for fans of young adult paranormal books.
April Margeson
I read this from cover to cover in one sitting. I just couldn't put it down. The struggles that Mary has to endure keeps this story very exciting. The development with Kyle was a major plus. Cannot wait to start the next book in this series.
Mary Ann
Mary would have enjoyed a 'normal' life, but her nemesis needed Mary's help to survive a coma. Mary and her friend, Rachel, and her Grandmother start a search to prevent a nightmare creature from killing Vicky or anyone else in the hospital!
Sarah Sigler
I loved the first book and I loved this one. It has all the wit, excitement, and heart pounding moments as the first book had, but this time there's heartbreak as well. She puts clues all throughout the book but so subtly that you never know until the very end! It's an OH YEA moment! I can't wait to read more and hope there's a lot more to come with this series. LOVE it!!!! Mary is definitely my kind of gal.
Skye
I really like this series. The characters are believable and the plot is fun and fresh. In this one, Mary is confronted by a Shadowman that is sucking the life force out of hospital patients, including her arch-nemesis Vicky. The twist at the end is great! I'm already on to Book 3.
Shea Kennedy
An adorable little YA book that was cutely creepy, sarcastically funny, and a little bit of a tear jerker. I can see so much progress in S.A. Hunter's writing with each book. She could very easily become a force to be reckoned with if she continues the Scary Mary series.
Liane
Not bad at all! The first book had been a slow start for me but the new budding friendly between Mary and a couple of unexpected characters is keeping me interested. Slow start to the series, but now I'm looking forward to the third book for when it comes out!
Bunny
I really love reading about Mary's adventures and not just because I read them for free. I hope there will be many more books featuring her. Read about Mary
  • Descent of Blood (Red Veil, #0.5)
  • Werewolf Dreams (Taming the Wolf, #1)
  • Reason (Greystone, #3)
  • Call Me Crazy
  • Enigma
  • Darkness & Light (War of the Fae, #3)
  • Reviving Bloom (Bloom Daniels, #1)
  • How to Break Up with an Alien (My Alien Romance, #2)
  • A Royal Heartbreak  (The Moretti Werewolf, #2)
  • Zoey Rogue (Incubatti, #1)
  • The Iron Queen (Daughters of Zeus, #3)
  • All Fall Down
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization
  • Lies in Blood (Dark Secrets, #4)
  • The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • The Drowning Pool
  • Fighter (Outsider, #3)
S.A. Hunter lives in Virginia and works in a library. She is the author of the YA series Scary Mary as well as other fantasy novels. Visit her online at www.sahunter.net or email her sahunter@sahunter.net
More about S.A. Hunter...
Scary Mary (Scary Mary, #1) Unicorn Bait Broken Spirits (Scary Mary, #3) Dragon Prey: The sequel to Unicorn Bait Plasma Frequency Magazine: Issue 8 October/November 2013