Start by marking “Hybrydy” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Hybrydy

Robert J. Sawyer

Hybrydy (Neanderthal Parallax #3)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  3,802 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
In Hominids, Nebula Award-winning author Robert J. Sawyer introduced a character readers will never forget: Ponter Boddit, a Neanderthal physicist from a parallel Earth who was whisked from his reality into ours by a quantum-computing experiment gone awry-making him the ultimate stranger in a strange land.

In that book and in its sequel, Humans, Sawyer showed us the Neander
384 pages
Published 2008 by Agencja "Solaris" Małgorzata Piasecka (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hybrydy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hybrydy

Ian
I started my review of Hominids, the first book, by saying it was a pretty good start to the trilogy. Not great, but pretty good, and ultimately a little disappointing because a Hugo-winner should be better than, well, pretty good. Now I’ve finished the trilogy and Hybrids is solid ending. Not great, but, well, solid. Still I don’t feel the minor disappointment I felt with the first book because my expectations had been lowered from great to average, so reading a nice, solid ending was satisfyi ...more
Mei-Lu
Jan 06, 2012 Mei-Lu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hybrids is the final volume in Robert J. Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax Trilogy and I have to say... the series really degenerated from a promising start. While this book is better than the second book, it's not as good as the first. The problem is Sawyer's characters. I feel as though Sawyer writes his novels in the same way an academic writes a paper. He has done all of this research into paleoanthropology and primatology and now he's assigned each characters aspect of society that he wants to ...more
Bruce Kroeze
Oct 04, 2010 Bruce Kroeze rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I could not finish this book. This book is literally the single worst SF book I have tried to read in a decade.

The characters? Abysmal, cardboard cutouts who go on rants which last pages. Worse than Ayn Rand, worse than Arthur C. Clark.

The ideas? Nothing new at all. Just more of the same. Neanderthals are smarter, nicer, more moral, and all-around-better than Homo Sapiens. Their world is unspoiled, ours is a hell hole.

The political ideas?

- Eugenics are great. It would benefit society to force-s
Beth Quittman
Feb 28, 2011 Beth Quittman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The conclusion to a bafflingly successful series. The author descends to new depths of misandry as he demonstrates how all the world's violence and problems are because of men and/or religion. Meanwhile the Neaderthal utopia is a Nazi's dream, with 24-hour surveillance, forced sterilization, and eugenics. I'm still not sure if this is tongue in cheek or obliviousness. I would assume it was commentary but the heavy-handedness of the rape subplots lead to believe it may very well be straight up.

E
Ben Babcock
Matthew
Jul 16, 2012 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book discovered a plot rather late in the narrative.
Leslie
May 27, 2013 Leslie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The most cringe worthy book I have EVER read. This series started off with an interesting concept but proved to be totally repulsive. It's like the author crammed a bunch of- ill give him this- actual scientific theories together with awful plot lines and character dialogue making one huge awkward mess. This last one was by far the worst. I really don't see how an extremely uncomfortably graphic depiction of a woman's rape in the first book was remotely necessary, unless you count the ridiculous ...more
Badseedgirl
As far as series endings go, this book was not that bad. I really had very little hope for this book after finishing the second book in this trilogy, Humans. But I found the first one entertaining enough to see how this train wreck was going to end. was an ending, and Mr. Sawyer did try to address at least one of my complaints about the second book. In this third book, we see the darker side of the Neanderthal justice system, it is only good if people report a problem, so what is done behind clo ...more
Zedsdead
Nov 02, 2012 Zedsdead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book three of the Hominids trilogy. Our human female and neanderthal male protagonists decide to use technology to have a baby, and a dastardly human plots the extinction of the neanderthals and colonization of their world.

Hybrids is aptly named as it mixes a lot of win with a lot of silliness.

Wins:
1) The wonderfully logical neanderthal civilization. Sawyer imagined a technologically advanced hunter-gatherer society, as opposed to our agricultural society. It's tremendously different but all of
D.L. Morrese
The third book in The Neanderthal Parallax series returns to the soft science fiction theme of two cultures colliding. This final book has a single antagonist, a racist (or would it be species-ist?) bigot who wants to take the unexploited and unpolluted Neanderthal world for Homo sapiens. Of course to do so will involve a minor case of genocide but he has the tools and he has the technology, kindly provided by the Neanderthals themselves. Mary, the geneticist heroine from the last book, has to s ...more
R. Michael Litchfield
Is it accurate to consider a book disappointing when you really don't expect much from the writer? Hybrids was the most lame of the trilogy, actually that's not fair, hominids was actually pretty good and humans was better than most of the other Sawyer books I've read but this was just a mess. The characters were flat and lifeless, they seemed to stumble around on his stage with no real point or purpose and on the whole it was a struggle to give a damn about them. The only excitement was at the ...more
Meghan
Tidy ending with a (view spoiler), but it's safe to say that Sawyer has thoroughly exhausted what he could offer based on this premise by the third volume in the trilogy.

Everyone in these novels seems to use extremely short and simple declarative sentences, even when they aren't trying to communicate across a language and species barrier. I have no idea if this is a deliberate stylistic choice and what if anything it means, but I suppose one might try them out on a
B Kevin
Sep 13, 2012 B Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This was a disappointing end to a rather preachy series. I think the plot really fell apart in the end. If you thought 'Lost' (the TV series) ended well, you will like this. If you think 'Lost' was a cop-out, so was this.
Simon
Aug 22, 2009 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
A weak ending, as Sawyer moves away from the compelling ideas of the first two books into (regrettably characteristic) didacticism, stripping his characters of what little depth they had in favour of driving his points home with as much blunt force as possible.
John
A solid ending to an excellent trilogy, marred a bit by uneven pacing between action and exposition towards the end, a touch too much of deus ex, and a complex plot issues being resolved a bit too neatly. That noted, this is great biological sci-fi, and is recommended.
Scott Thrift
Again, I wished he would tell the story and skip the sermon. The danger of speculative fiction is always the author's visions getting in the way of plot.
Susanna
Jul 11, 2014 Susanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So I actually finished the third part of the trilogy. I'd love to write a review but I am afraid that I am still busy tying and gagging my inner anthropologist.
VanGogh's Beard
Mar 06, 2011 VanGogh's Beard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
If you enjoyed the Twilight novels, you will enjoy this series.
Keith
Mar 30, 2012 Keith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
I don't recommend it.
Sara
Feb 19, 2017 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed re-reading this series. Fast paced. Canadian focus :-) The plot can outrun the characters at times. Anthropological science fiction that keeps one engaged. The ending is not entirely satisfying.
Caitlin
Oh, Cornelius and your white man struggles. Seriously, there's just no place for a qualified white male in the professions these days. People who've read this series know what I'm talking about.

Okay, now that I've got that out of my system, let me start by saying this review is going to look a bit at Hybrids and a bit at the Neanderthal Parallax as a whole. When it comes to series, I usually find it easier to evaluate the entire story rather than individual books.

Yet even after finishing this
Elizabeth
Hybrids (Neanderthal Parallax #3)
by Robert J. Sawyer

The third book in Robert Sawyer’s Neanderthal series rehashed many of the topics of the first two books while simplistically covering some new ground.

Judging the series overall, it could have been covered in one or two books, but there just isn’t enough story for three. Much of book two and three could have been cut then melded together for one cohesive tighter book.

(view spoiler)
Bill Purdy
Feb 28, 2008 Bill Purdy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys good, earthbound sci-fi
Backstory is important with sci-fi titles, since that's the foundation on which entire careers are launched. It seems the guiding principal of successfully writing SF (i.e., actually making a living doing it) is to develop and establish a compelling "universe," preferably one that resonates with the book-buying public, then milk that "universe" for all it's worth by first writing a trilogy, then (if you're really good) writing several more trilogies (e.g., "Volume 17 of the Ayy'k'brin Starquest" ...more
Michel
Dec 26, 2016 Michel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bon, goed. Goed, bon. ’t Is afgelopen.

In Hybrids, Ponter Boddit and his Homo sapiens lover, geneticist Mary Vaughan, are torn between two worlds, struggling to find a way to make their star-crossed relationship work. Aided by banned Neanderthal technology, they plan to conceive the first hybrid child, a symbol of hope for the joining of their two versions of reality.

But after an experiment shows that Mary’s religious faith – something completely absent in Neanderthals – is a quirk of the neurolo
Frahorus
Quarta di copertina
Mary Vaughan e Ponter Boddit, due scienziati che vogliono avere un figlio. C’è un ostacolo, però: lei appartiene alla specie Homo sapiens ed è nata nel nostro universo, lui è un Neanderthal evoluto e rappresenta la specie dominante di un mondo parallelo. La tecnologia per superare il gap biologico esiste: è nelle mani di uno scienziato Neanderthal che vive nelle solitudini del suo mondo. Il problema, tuttavia, non è come raggiungerlo, ma come superare la violenza e il razzismo
Darren Vincent
Feb 15, 2012 Darren Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
An incredible read...personally disappointing.

As a conclusion to the trilogy, the book was incredible. Once again, it is a book (and series) that makes you think about the world you live in and the consequences of our actions. The author does a wonderful job of balancing multiple plots & subplots and revisiting them at just the perfect time and at just the perfect order to keep them active, relevant and interesting. His commentary on society is very aware and acute and whether I agree or not
Fred Hughes
Dec 14, 2011 Fred Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in The Neanderthal Parallax trilogy. The other two being Hominids (book 1) and Humans (book 2).

In this book we find Dr Mary Vaughan (human geneticist) and Ponter Boddit (Neanderthal physicist) continuing their relationship that developed when they first met. Mary has gone over to the parallel Neanderthal world to learn more about their culture.

From the first books we have learned that in the Neanderthal world:

1) The population has been limited to 185 million
2) All the men
James
Jan 30, 2013 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hybrids is the least likeable of the Neanderthal Parallax trilogy. The implications for Man of a doorway to another alternate Earth is put aside as a subplot in favor of Mary’s transformation.

Mary has fallen in love with Ponder, one of the Neanderthal scientists. The “Barasts” have their own code of ethics and Mary struggles with it as it interferes with her Catholic faith.

Much is made of Mary’s beliefs and her struggles, much more than she deserves. She’s a flighty character, who discovers th
Steve
May 18, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-books
I read most of this book during my trip to China and finished it early this morning (my body is still operating on China time). It was a good conclusion to the trilogy. Again, this book (and the series) hit my personal sweet spot: it's a SciFi novel that deals with the conflict of science and religion that also digs into the rationale for how we evolved both physically and socially/culturally from our beginnings, and that offers insights that illustrate how the human condition can be improved an ...more
mlady_rebecca
I can't give any higher marks to this, or the previous two books in this trilogy. There is nothing these books are missing. They make you think and feel. They make you laugh and cry. There is adventure and romance.

These books point out what is best and what is worst about humanity. Without preaching, the author highlights where we (as a global society) triumph, and where we've failed ourselves. Some of these failings are things we could correct here and now, while others are decisions made too l
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Radio #2)
  • Beggars Ride (Sleepless, #3)
  • Kiln People
  • Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History
  • Sixty Days and Counting (Science in the Capital, #3)
  • Paloma (Retrieval Artist, #5)
  • Axis (Spin, #2)
  • The Margarets
  • The Children's War: A Novel
  • Voyagers III: Star Brothers (Voyagers, #3)
  • American Front (The Great War, #1)
  • Roma Eterna
  • Time Pressure (Lifehouse, #2)
  • Conquistador
  • Mammoth
  • Brother Termite
  • Buying Time
Robert J. Sawyer is one of Canada's best known and most successful science fiction writers. He is the only Canadian (and one of only 7 writers in the world) to have won all three of the top international awards for science fiction: the 1995 Nebula Award for The Terminal Experiment, the 2003 Hugo Award for Hominids, and the 2006 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Mindscan.
Robert Sawyer grew up in
More about Robert J. Sawyer...

Neanderthal Parallax (3 books)
  • Hominids (Neanderthal Parallax, #1)
  • Humans (Neanderthal Parallax, #2)