Start by marking “World War One Short Stories” as Want to Read:
World War One Short Stories

World War One Short Stories

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
These gripping tales from the trenches of France and Belgium offer firsthand testimony to the mayhem that devastated Europe from 1914 to 1918. Written mostly by veterans, they offer moving accounts of life and death amid the constant terror of bombs, poison gas, and machine guns. In addition to the more familiar perspectives of American and British soldiers, the tales enco ...more
Published September 19th 2013 by Dover Publications (first published February 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about World War One Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War One Short Stories

Patrick
Jan 26, 2016 Patrick rated it really liked it
p.35 In Ypres, whatever may have been their heroic and exalted dreams, they awake, see the world is mad, and surrender to the doom from which they know a world bereft will give them no reprieve.
"A Night Raid" by H.M. Tomlinson
p.93 But there's no moral to a true tale like this-unless it be that the rhythm of life and death cares not a jot for any of us. "Told By the Schoolmaster" by John Galsworthy
p.146 I knew the lines were too close together to use gas. "Misapplied Energy" by William Scanlon

The
Craig
Dec 24, 2014 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2014
*Goodreads First Reads advanced copy*

I enjoyed getting a glimpse into World War I through stories written by people who lived through it. However most of these stories failed to capture my imagination. The characters and situations failed to materialize in my head.

There were a few notable exceptions. A Trade Report by C.E. Montague, The Traitor by Somerset Maugham, The Fifth Card by Mikhail Andreevich Osorgin, Told By The Schoolmaster by John Galsworthy, Blind by Mary Borden and Mary Postgate R
Bruce
Jan 03, 2015 Bruce rated it liked it
A thin Dover Publications analogy of short stories and excerpts from novels with a connection to World War I. Most were written several years after the war by writers who had served in one way or another. Three are written by women - one on nursing, one on Red Cross volunteering and the third a psychological piece. The other authors provide some insight in the actions of soldiers.
Sue Cassedy-beskitt
May 03, 2014 Sue Cassedy-beskitt rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of war stories but we read this for our reading group. This did offer a really decent selection of the authors of that period. I would say that the overall effect that the stories had was that they really made you feel the emotions that the author wanted you to feel.
Seth Augenstein
Oct 15, 2014 Seth Augenstein rated it really liked it
Shelves: alright
Some gems - especially the Russian one with a card game in the trenches. But very hit and miss.
Mike Prochot
Oct 05, 2013 Mike Prochot rated it liked it
Shelves: world-war-one
A collection of short stories written mostly by veterans of the war representative of the major countries involved in the conflict.

Easy read with some rather antiquated language (as you might expect). The stories range from first person accounts of the front and the incredible level of destruction witnessed to tales of relationships and life as lived during the war years.

Worth a go for anyone interested in the time period.
Jeff
Nov 20, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
Rec'd this book as part of a First Reads Giveaway. The book actually arrived to my house on November 10 - meaning that I actually got to spend November 11 (Armistice Day) reading about WW1. I really enjoyed the various/diverse perspectives and backgrounds of the writers.
Searight
Dec 30, 2015 Searight rated it liked it
The stories in this book are good, but slow.
Joe Everett
Joe Everett rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Kathy Heare Watts
Kathy Heare Watts marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Naveen
Naveen marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
J.L.
J.L. marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Alex Henderson
Alex Henderson marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Sarah Jackson
Sarah Jackson rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Tommy
Tommy rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
CM
CM marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Debasis Bagchi
Debasis Bagchi marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
happy
happy marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
KOMET
KOMET marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Miles
Miles rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Darren
Darren rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2015
Tim Pollock
Tim Pollock marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Melina Druga
Melina Druga rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
thomas
thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Undertones of War
  • No Man's Land: Fiction from a World at War
  • Some Desperate Glory: The First World War the Poets Knew
  • November 1916 (The Red Wheel #2)
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming
  • Her Privates We
  • Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics
  • Some Do Not...
  • Wounded: From Battlefield to Blighty, 1914-1918
  • Dark Invasion 1915: Germany's Secret War & the Hunt for the First Terrorist Cell in America
  • SUBALTERN ON THE SOMME
  • Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man
  • Spirit: young love, old secrets, and a girl caught in between (Spirit #1)
  • Paid Attention: Innovative Advertising for a Digital World
  • Zina: A Selection from Her Poems and Photographs
  • World War I in 100 Objects
  • World War One: Frontline News
  • The Ballad of Desiree
Bob Blaisdell is a published adapter, author, editor, and an illustrator of children's books and young adult books. He teaches English in Brooklyn at Kingsborough Community College. He is a reviewer for the San Francisco Chronicle and Christian Science Monitor and the editor of more than three dozen anthologies for Dover Publications. Email him at Robert.Blaisdell@Kingsborough.edu
More about Bob Blaisdell...