Start by marking “Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone: The Essential Hunter S. Thompson” as Want to Read:
Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone: The Essential Hunter S. Thompson

Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone: The Essential Hunter S. Thompson

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  798 ratings  ·  74 reviews

A compilation of the subversive, important and entertaining writer of Hunter S. Thompson - renowned American writer of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

'It would not do to be found in the desert under these circumstances: firing wildly into the cactus from a car full of drugs...'

Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone showcases the evolution of the writer of Fear and L

Published (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone

Rory Feehan
I have been eagerly looking forward to this book, as have a lot of people, ever since it first appeared on the horizon over three years ago. Originally slated for release in November 2008, it suddenly vanished off the radar as quickly as it had appeared, with no explanation whatsoever from the publisher. Having finally received a copy of this book before Christmas, all I can say is that it is a pity it didn’t remain in the wilderness for good. In short this book is an utter disgrace.

I cannot fat
Robert Delikat
Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone: The Essential Writing of Hunter S. Thompson is a book that is basically just that. It was in the early 70’s that I first met HST. We used to hang out, smoke a little weed, do a few lines then drop some blotter and discuss the political chicanery going on in Washington or just the basic fuckedupedness of world affairs in general. Vietnam was grist for our mill back then. Ol’ Tricky Dick, being the easy target that he was, had a great deal to be said and written ...more
furious
Oct 01, 2012 furious rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
WARNING!

this book of HEAVILY edited/butchered HST material represents the latest disgusting attempt by the vile pig fucker Jann Wenner to suck cash out of the Good Doctor's corpse. this is the shameless desecration of Art by a greedheaded whoreson with no modicum of human decency.
Gus Sanchez
In Hunter S. Thompson, Rolling Stone magazine found a voice that legitimized the periodical from its' earliest musical journal trappings. In Rolling Stone, Hunter S. Thompson found himself the perfect home from which to fire off breathtaking, foul-mouthed, drug-fueled, and superbly crafted missives against the political and social monsters slowly destroying the American Dream he still believed in. Clearly, the magazine and writer found kindred spirits within one another, forging a mutually benef ...more
William Thomas
Like most people my age, I know about HST because of the movie adaptation of 'Fear and Loathing' where he is portrayed capably by Johnny Depp (probably the last good movie he appeared in). I must have watched that damn movie 100 times and could probably still recite all the lines without having seen it in years. I thought it was absolutely hilarious when i was younger, and as I gre older I saw it for something more than a comedy. I started seeing through all of the drugged out interludes into th ...more
Aiden Wylie
The Essential HST? That's an awful lot of Hunter. This unedited (from the magazine articles, which differ from the book form) compilation of his Rolling Stone work is indeed his prime material. From the moving Battle of Aspen, where Thompson shunned the obnoxious humour of his ESPN work for an honest analysis (which in retrospect was almost prophetic) of American politics, to the fading and irrelevant sports pieces, the heart of the Doc's work is included.

Unquestionably the highlight is Thompso
anday androo
I never expected to like Hunter S Thompson as much as I did. I have fuzzy, addled, memories of watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in HS. These memories generally involve some guy doing a lot of drugs while speaking in gunfire bursts of wit dripping with perversion and cynicism. While those memories are certainly a big part of Thompson's work, it's quite obvious that they were mere vessels for his main payload of political and cultural criticism. While his patois and chemical baggage scream ...more
Ed Terrell
Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone is one enjoyable romp through US history told through the mescaline enhanced imagery and alcohol induced adrenaline spurts of writing. I read F&L with what felt like an illegal smile on my face the entire time. Hunter is one crazy writer, whose skill at intertwining fact and fiction will have you laughing out loud. Irreverent, unconcerned with the consequences of his actions, principled but peyote driven, he creates such an original stream of metaphors that ...more
Anthony Mathenia
Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone collects Hunter S. Thompson's multi-decade work for the title music magazine. The majority of the book is made up of Hunter's political writing and includes his expansive "On the Campaign Trail" coverage the 1972 Democrat candidate nomination and the presidential election. During the course of the coverage an optimism for the political process, and specifically the McGovern ticket, ends with a jaded letdown as evil Nixon triumphs. Hunter's most scathing, and hi ...more
Christopher Rex
HST is best taken in small doses. This is a 500pp. beast of a book. I don't recommend reading it cover-to-cover unless you want HST Burnout. Leave by the side of the bed or the crapper or wherever you read and pick it up from time to time.

The book is a collection of HSTs political (and other) writings spanning some 40 years, though the bulk is dedicated to the Nixon-Ford-Carter years. There are also some copies of correspondence between HST and Rolling Stone magazine, but these added very little
Gary
HST, along with Ken Kesey, Ed Abbey, Richard Farina, Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg, is yet another of my dead heroes. Athough I do not sport a Gonzo tattoo, I am a fan. Having said that, unless you,too, are a die-hard fan, Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone may not be a book you want to read cover to cover in one sitting. To avoid overdose, it may be better to pace yourself, sampling a little at a time, interspaced by maybe something lighter.

It was particularly interesting to read Thompson's a
John
Bookended with some weaker material struggling for a style, the meat of this is a long account of the fall of Nixon. Thompson's insights on the campaign trail in 1972 would prove on target as Watergate unfolded and chased the President from office. Much of his topical considerations of a weak primary contest reflects well on this year's Republican contests. Excellent pieces on Mohammed Ali and Roxanne Pulitzer, each at the tipping point into decline, show Thompson moving more into the role of ob ...more
Tristen S
HIghly recommend this. It was my intro into the world of HST and probably the best way to do it. I loved the correspondence between him and Jann on his articles, and then of course, the articles itself. Hard to pinpoint my favorite one but it'll either be the one at the Super Bowl or the crazy divorce story in Florida.
Celeste

If there is one writer who can make politics interesting, it's Hunter Thompson. A good chunk of the pieces chosen for this anthology are from Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail, about the presidential race in 1972, and I thought it would be fairly dull subject matter. On the contrary, it was a nice history lesson and gave me a peek into the mad craziness of the 1968 Democratic Convention, the assassination of Robert Kennedy, and that devious crook Nixon. It's made even more relevant toda
Brendan
This works well as both a fantastic introductory collection to HST's work, and a great item fir the serious fan. It's missing a good deal of Hunter's non-RS latter day masterpieces, but such is the nature of this collection. Well worth the cost of admission for the correspondence between Wenner and HST scattered throughout.
Taffy
A necessary read for Hunter fanatics. This book goes many layers deep into revealing what an irreplaceable , no holds barred gonzo journalist & author he was. His '72 presidential campaign ramblings ring ridiculously true to what we are facing in 2012. For example, when comparing McGovern & Nixon, Thompson states " Jesus! where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to be president?" .
It was such a pleasure to read a book that emboldened perfect strangers to approach
Chris
Frustrating. For all the reverence of 'Gonzo journalism', there's little journalism in this book to be found. Just meandering columns by someone who, especially in his coverage of the Presidential election, is an outsider who doesn't much like his job, nor the prospect of becoming an insider.
Jack
"There is no such thing as objective journalism. The phrase itself is a gross contradiction of terms."
John
Brilliant, had forgotten how great a writer he was. Gives an insight into the process of the madness and how well researched it was. Also makes you see clearly the contrast between his clear political message and that idiot russell brand
Kari
Even subjects that I have no interest in such as boxing, NFL or even politics, are made enjoyable, fascinating and completely readable when they are coming from the mind of Hunter S. Thompson. He was a genius wordsmith who brought his subjects vividly to life with wit, humour, ludicrousness and a fearless insight into everything he aimed his typewriter at.
William Curtin
I was kinda disappointed that they didn't go into the reasons for Hunter's suicide.
Julie
With correspondence between Thompson and his editor, along with notes from the editor before articles, this book sheds light on Thompson's life and writing.
Natalya
As a writer, I especially loved reading HST's letters to his editor, Jann. ("Because what happens to anybody who gets into any kind of forced/regular writing is that he's bound to make a useless fool of himself now and then ... and it's hard to set a price on that kind of reality.")

I haven't read all of HST's stories, but I decided not to read them here because I noticed that the ones that I have read elsewhere were heavily edited for this book. Why shorten Fear and Loathing?

OK for now...
Mick
I remember laughing at Hunter's books years ago. His gonzo stories may have been funnier back then, perhaps I've aged and mellowed. The dope and drugs don't humor me anymore, but the outrageous stories are still hilarious. Occasionally his stories are right on target. One of my favorite quotes is, "But the prevailing attitude among journalists with enough status to work presidential campaigns is that all politicians are congenial thieves and liars." Damn, this will never change.
John Henery
A great collection of Thompson's work for the Rolling Stone.
Post Defiance
Originally posted at http://postdefiance.com/literary-gift..., written by Sweet Pea Flaherty.

Thompson made his name writing masterpieces, like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diary, but made his literary home at Rolling Stone, writing for the magazine for more than three decades. This book collects his best writings, including previously unpublished correspondence between Thompson and his editor.
Ashley
It was good - an alternative take of Americana. However, the redundant criticism of Humphrey got to be a bit much. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion - but I don't need 4 hours worth of various takes of "Humphrey is incompetent" and other various takes of the same theme. I really enjoyed the Nixon years with his almost obsessed description of Nixon's downfall.
Raimo Wirkkala
The "essential" of the title is very true. Jann S. Wenner has done a terrific job of compiling Thompson's best writing for RS into this one volume. It made me smile and laugh-out-loud to revisit classic pieces like his eulogy to Richard Nixon and to go back in time with his articles about the '72 presidential campaign. We miss you, Hunter!
Paul
A collection of Thompson's most compelling and formative articles at Rolling Stone over the decades. I never tire of his wit, wildness, as well as poignancy and cultural insights.
Chris
Thompson's writing is pretty humorous, but each story / essay seems to take the same approach and diction. After a few articles, I became somewhat bored unless the discussed topic was interesting. Unfortunately, the majority of the essays were written during the 60's and 70's campaigns and tend to bleed together without much new insight.
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Outlaw Journalist
  • The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Publisher: Henry Luce and His American Century
  • The Gang That Wouldn't Write Straight: Wolfe, Thompson, Didion, Capote, and the New Journalism Revolution
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The New Journalism
  • Gonzo: A Graphic Biography of Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Joke's Over: Ralph Steadman on Hunter S. Thompson
  • Burn This Book: PEN Writers Speak Out on the Power of the Word
  • The Revolt of the Cockroach People
  • The Boys on the Bus
  • Journalistas: 100 Years of the Best Writing and Reporting by Women Journalists
  • The Rice Room: Growing Up Chinese-American from Number Two Son to Rock 'n' Roll
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2010
  • Globish: How the English Language Became the World's Language
  • Best Food Writing 2011
Hunter Stockton Thompson was an American journalist and author, famous for his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He is credited as the creator of Gonzo journalism, a style of reporting where reporters involve themselves in the action to such a degree that they become the central figures of their stories. He is also known for his promotion and use of psychedelics and other mind-altering substanc ...more
More about Hunter S. Thompson...
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas The Rum Diary Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time (The Gonzo Papers, #1)

“Reality itself is too twisted.” 11 likes
“It was a Different Time. People were Friendly. We trusted each other. Hell, you could afford to get mixed up with wild strangers in those days -- without fearing for your life, or your eyes, or your organs, or all of your money, or even getting locked up in prison forever. There was a sense of possibility. People were not so afraid, as they are now. You could run around naked without getting shot. You could check into a roadside motel on the outskirts of Ely or Winnemucca or Elko where you were lost in a midnight rainstorm -- and nobody called the police on you, just to check out your credit and your employment history and your medical records and how many parking tickets you owed in California.” 1 likes