Start by marking “Marley: The Other Christmas Carol” as Want to Read:
Marley: The Other Christmas Carol

Marley: The Other Christmas Carol

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Damned!

Marley’s soul was lost, doomed to wander among the ranks of humanity, generation after generation, without the powers to be humane. The curse of his chains was a heavy one, and there were many a time in which he found the weight of said chains to be unbearable. So this must be perfectly understood: Marley was without hope.

Marley’s lot was indeed a sad one. Misery
Published December 13th 2011 by Double Dragon Publishing (first published November 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Marley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marley

Jim
Dec 05, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
I was given this free for an honest review. So glad I signed on. Wonderfully touching Xmas story taking up with Marley today, long after Scrooge & even Tiny Tim are dead & gone. He takes on a perennial problem & solves it. The ending was a bit too sweet for me, but didn't hurt the story much. Others are raving about the ending, so I'm probably just a curmudgeon. It was very well read, too. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a bit Xmas cheer.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I wish I'd had time to read this during the past Christmas season, because it would be perfect to get a reader into the mood, and to reinforce the deep meanings of this beloved holiday.

Mr. Kirch is on point with the meaning of A Christmas Carol in this novella, and he lovingly does homage to it, while he takes the story forward in time to a family that very much needs to be reminded about the importance of family and love.

For a while, I was quite worried. I cried bitter tears, but I kept hope a
Julie
Jan 04, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok
I really wish I could rate this one higher, but I wasn't overly thrilled with it . The story was a bit off-setting, as parts of it sounded like it was possibly meant to be a middle-grade level book, but other parts sounded more like an adult book . On top of that, the story really was a bit too predictable , and altogether could have been done better. I'm not familiar with the author's work, but this almost sounded like a first or early attempt at writing .
The narrator, Scott Bennett , did well
Carlissa
Dec 05, 2015 Carlissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carlissa by: AudiobookBlast.com
Jacob Marley's ghost is doomed to carry around chains and haunt the Cratchit's house until one day an American couple and their 10-year-old daughter move in. Marley desperately wants to be free of his chains, so he must find a way to grant the little girl's Christmas wish. Just like A Christmas Carol, this is a heart-warming story not to be missed! , J. Scott Bennett did an excellent job narrating.

I got this audio free from AudiobookBlast.com for an honest review.
Daulan Collins
Dec 05, 2015 Daulan Collins rated it it was amazing

"Nice look in a diffrent direction"
Where does Marley - The Other Christmas Carol rank among all the audiobooks you’ve listened to so far?

I believe that this would make a nice added addition to reading the Christmas Carol during the holidays.It has that urge to make you cry, laugh and praise. Good reading.

What was one of the most memorable moments of Marley - The Other Christmas Carol?

I don't want to do any spoiling but it's nice to see Marley do something unexpected. Made a good feeling characte
Powder River Rose
A modern day Christmas humbug story with a familiar character and a twist: Rather unhappy, workaholic American parents and their young daughter move to England and into Jacob Marley’s home. This was a very pleasant story and like the original a hint of fear keeps the reader on their toes. There are a few times when the flow and wording get bogged down and while the outcome was predictable the way in which it came to pass was creative. The production was excellent and narrator J. Scott Bennett is ...more
Susan
Dec 12, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marley - The Other Christmas Carol by Donald Allen Kirch
Marley has been trapped, haunting Ebeneezer Scrooge’s old house for several generations. The chains still weigh down his ghostly form. He waits for a path of redemption but can’t see it ever happening. He’s a pretty depressed ghost. He becomes even more depressed when he learns an American family is about to move in.
MissSusie
Dec 15, 2015 MissSusie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story and thought the narration was very well done.

Marley is still rattling around the afterlife in chains but he is given a chance to redeem himself, remove the chains and move on, If he can save a family about to implode. It is how he chooses to “save” them that will get you right in the heartstrings if you don’t at the very least gasp or shed a little tear you may not have a soul! Just kidding but really this one got me right in the feels but at the conclusion I was able
Susan
Dec 12, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it

The Kringles are from Los Angeles. Beverly was transferred by her law firm to the London branch. Den is a househusband and writer. Kathy is their nine year old daughter, and the firs
Teressa
Dec 02, 2015 Teressa rated it it was amazing

"An Enjoyable and Memorable Listen"

"Marley" was such a great listen. It WAS the other Christmas Carol. This was such a well thought out take on the original Christmas Carol. I loved it. The Kringle's were caught up in their busy lives and got off track and forgot what was really important in their lives. I think this had two points of view. One through Kathy, the Kringle's daughter and one through Marley.

Kudos to Donald Allen Kirch for writing this. It was terrific all the way around and the nar
Dec 13, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
What a great little short story! We all know the story of Jacob Marley, Bob Crachett, and Mean 'ol Scrooge. This take on Marley is a present day read about love and loss, a never good enough hopeful novelist husband married to a bread-winning lawyer wife, Tobias their understanding butler, and a sweet daughter and her one Christmas wish. The Kringle family, having just moved to London, are the new residents of the house all of their neighbors call haunted. Weird shadows and noises are heard with ...more
Deedra
Dec 06, 2015 Deedra rated it really liked it
Marley,as in Jacob Marley,is a lost soul,doomed to stay in his home for all time.One foot off his property an Pfft! he was toast.One day foreigners move into his home...and give him a chance to redeem a small bit of his past self.It's a story of hope,pain and goodness in all of us. J Scott Bennet does a wonderful telling of this story.
"I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author, publisher and/or narrator in exchange for an unbiased review via AudiobookBlast or MalarHouse
April
"This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Audiobook Blast."

As a huge fan of Dickens "A Christmas Carol," I wasn't sure how I would like this modern tale. I am very happy to say I loved it. Following the family that inhabits the former Marley house, and haunting kept me intrigued.
Jeffrey
Dec 04, 2015 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
The narration was not the best. The female and child voices were not that great, but Jacob Marley and Me. Kringle were both done well. Three stars for the narrator. Five stars for the story, however. I especially loved the ending. It was worth listening to the story just for the ending alone.
Terri Armstrong
Jan 19, 2012 Terri Armstrong rated it it was amazing
“MARLEY: The Other Christmas Carol” by Donald Allen Kirch

Always a fan of Mr. Kirch’s, I still find myself utterly fascinated and beguiled by his work. Forever at his best when he’s bellied up to the computer, Kirch gives us yet another mesmerizing story that gives us a whole other perspective on something that we once thought as perfection from its predecessor Charles Dickens.
The Kringle family—very aptly named I might add—find themselves in the middle of a serious family move because of Mrs. Kr
Bending The Bookshelf
Jan 04, 2012 Bending The Bookshelf rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Don's work ever since he introduced me to The Misadventures of Ka-Ron the Knight - Second Edition. This is a very different story from that one, but it has the same kind of imaginative twists and narrative strengths to draw you in. A sequel to Dicken's original take, this one catches up with the ghost of poor Jacob Marley a century or so later, this time in a home that is already rumoured to be haunted . . . and currently occupied by the Kringle family. When a fight breaks out ...more
Lani
Lani rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Marti King
Marti King marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Bernice
Bernice marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Jacqueline Coleman
Jacqueline Coleman marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Audiobooks: Make your Christmas complete - Free Audio book 12 54 Dec 30, 2015 07:33PM
Audiobooks: Whatever became of JACOB MARLEY'S GHOST? 16 37 Dec 06, 2015 03:45PM
DONALD ALLEN KIRCH lives in Statesboro, Georgia. He is an avid reader of history, Sherlock Holmes Mysteries, and the paranormal. He has a degree in Radio and Television Arts, and is listed in "Who’s Who in America." After spending two weekends in the famous "Sallie House," a "haunted house" featured on the Fox TV-series Sightings, in Atchison, Kansas, he is one of the only authors of his genre who ...more
More about Donald Allen Kirch...

“What has become of the world, when children are looked upon by their parents as trophies to be won?” 1 likes