Start by marking “The Power Of Point Of View: Make Your Story Come to Life” as Want to Read:
The Power Of Point Of View: Make Your Story Come to Life

The Power Of Point Of View: Make Your Story Come to Life

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Every Character Has a Voice

Published February 26th 2008 (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Power Of Point Of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power Of Point Of View

Alicia Rasley
Oct 30, 2010 Alicia Rasley rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this, and would be glad to talk about it. My blog about writing and editing is http://www.edittorrent.blogspot.com, so meet me there! Also lots of my articles about writing are archived at www.rasley.com.
Thanks.

Alicia
Felipe Lerma
Aug 14, 2015 Felipe Lerma rated it it was amazing
Understanding my creativity as levels within one point of view.

I'd read and thought about this book for several months, pretty much thinking it was "4 stars" for not having enough examples to get it's ideas about pov across well enough for me to consciously apply them.

Then very recently, pondering over a rare negative but constructive review of one of my fiction pieces, I think I finally got it.

One of the complaints was about some of the language (esp expressive thoughts and perceptions) being o
Jasmina Nakeva
Jan 24, 2014 Jasmina Nakeva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll tell you how much I like this book:

Someone enters my study with his jolly stride and rosy cheeks, his summer curls bouncing around a friendly face. He asks if he could have a look at THE book.

I look at him and leave my work on the side. I’m knitting a sweater. Without taking my eyes off him I stand up. Slowly. I stand now stone-hearted, my hands are on the sides, ready. The small trembles of my fingers are the only movement of my body. I hold my breath.

Suddenly, with the speed of a crazy co
Diana Green
Sep 21, 2015 Diana Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the better writing books I've encountered. The author knows her stuff and brought a lot of depth and insight to the subject. I am sure this will help me with my own writing.
Katherine Trail
Sep 27, 2015 Katherine Trail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. I'm a fiction editor, working mainly with self-publishing authors, and I ALWAYS recommend this book to clients. It's extremely comprehensive, but doesn't fall into the trap of being dry or dull. If you're interested in writing fiction, I'd strongly recommend reading this book first. Even if you are an experienced writer, I bet you will learn something from it!
Bill
Apr 18, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-how-to
One Person’s Point of View.

Rasley, Alicia. (2008). The Power of Point of View. Cincinnati, OH: Writer’s Digest Books.

When people hear or read a story, they want to know two things: What happens? And they want to know, Who is telling the story? That second question concerns point of view. If somebody is telling you a tale, whether around a campfire or over a cup of tea, it is important to know who this stoyteller is, what their attitudes are, and how they came to know of the events reported. In a
Bart
Jul 13, 2015 Bart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-craft
This is probably the best book on the craft that I've read so far. It takes one subject, POV, and tells you everything you need to know about it. It shows what POV is, and what kinds of POV there are. It shows, for every kind of POV, what the advantages and disadvantages are of using that kind of POV, the dangers of using that kind of POV and gives several tips for writing in that kind of POV. All this is done in a very clear way with many great examples.
Most of all, this book makes clear that
Nancy Butts
Jul 01, 2013 Nancy Butts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I've read this, and I think it's the best book available on viewpoint for writers. Rasley parses POV in a way I've never seen before. For example, she divides omniscient narration into three categories: objective, classical omniscient, and contemporary omniscient—all of which are different from distant third. Interesting. I don't always agree with her, especially in her application of voice and viewpoint to children's books. [Though I love the Narnia chronicles, I most em ...more
May Koliander
Aug 12, 2014 May Koliander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clear and detailed. Got a lot out of it especially as POV has always puzzled me !
Dana
Sep 18, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a group member when I posted a thread on multiple points of view and I'm glad I took up his suggestion. Well-written and comprehensive, "The Power of Point of View" covers the basics right through to the intricacies of "voice". As I'm currently writing a novel from a multiple of view, I found the last section "The Master Class" invaluable. I highly recommend it to all writers as it goes to show that the more you know the more there is to learn.
Christy
Nov 20, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-skills
Every Character Has a VoicePoint of view isn't just an element of storytellingwhen chosen carefully and employed consistently in a work of fiction, it is the foundation of a captivating story.

It's the character voice you can hear as clearly as your own. It's the unique worldview that intrigues readerspersuading them to empathize with your characters and invest in their t...more
Lisa Eckstein
I was so excited to read a book by someone who is more geeky about point of view than I am, because most writing guides don't cover the topic in nearly enough depth. Rasley analyzes each possible narrative perspective and discusses when it might be appropriate for a story. Highly recommended if that sounds exciting to you, too.
Nourddine Boughaba
If you write fiction or just love to read it well, a must-have book. Buy it, re-read it, take a master's class in the art and mystery of point of view. Brilliant.
Carole
Feb 15, 2010 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey Rasley
Oct 30, 2010 Jeffrey Rasley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great examples for novices and multi-published writers. Deeply thoughtful and insightful about understanding POV.
Jillian
Jan 02, 2013 Jillian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lady-authors, 2013
I got this as a half-assed gift and didn't have the highest expectations, but it was decent for what it does.
kate
Oct 19, 2008 kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All writers
Shelves: non-fiction
Inspirational and a must-have resource.

Alicia is an amazing writer and editor.

Andrew
Dec 13, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful guide for POV with plenty of examples, exercises, and explanations.
Theresa
Dec 27, 2009 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
Alicia knows her stuff. Read her book and do what she says. :)
Storm Grant
Mar 31, 2009 Storm Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-books
There's a whole lot more to POV than just who's talking.
Shelley
Jan 15, 2011 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it in parts; the writing exercises were very helpful.
Heather
Jan 02, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
*3.5 Stars*
Marjet
Marjet rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Darla Baker
Darla Baker is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Patrick Dugan
Patrick Dugan marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Judy Koot
Judy Koot rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Rose Ý Nhi
Rose Ý Nhi marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Description & Setting
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Emotional Structure: Creating the Story Beneath the Plot: A Guide for Screenwriters
  • Novelist's Essential Guide to Crafting Scenes
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • Breathing Life into Your Characters
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within