Start by marking “The Power Of Point Of View: Make Your Story Come to Life” as Want to Read:
The Power Of Point Of View: Make Your Story Come to Life

The Power Of Point Of View: Make Your Story Come to Life

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Every Character Has a Voice

Point of view isn't just an element of storytelling–when chosen carefully and employed consistently in a work of fiction, it is the foundation of a captivating story.

It's the character voice you can hear as clearly as your own. It's the unique worldview that intrigues readers–persuading them to empathize with your characters and invest in their

Published February 26th 2008 (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Power Of Point Of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power Of Point Of View

Alicia Rasley
Oct 30, 2010 Alicia Rasley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this, and would be glad to talk about it. My blog about writing and editing is http://www.edittorrent.blogspot.com, so meet me there! Also lots of my articles about writing are archived at www.rasley.com.
Thanks.

Alicia
Bill
One Person’s Point of View.

Rasley, Alicia. (2008). The Power of Point of View. Cincinnati, OH: Writer’s Digest Books.

When people hear or read a story, they want to know two things: What happens? And they want to know, Who is telling the story? That second question concerns point of view. If somebody is telling you a tale, whether around a campfire or over a cup of tea, it is important to know who this stoyteller is, what their attitudes are, and how they came to know of the events reported. In a
Jasmina Nakeva
I’ll tell you how much I like this book:

Someone enters my study with his jolly stride and rosy cheeks, his summer curls bouncing around a friendly face. He asks if he could have a look at THE book.

I look at him and leave my work on the side. I’m knitting a sweater. Without taking my eyes off him I stand up. Slowly. I stand now stone-hearted, my hands are on the sides, ready. The small trembles of my fingers are the only movement of my body. I hold my breath.

Suddenly, with the speed of a crazy co
Nancy Butts
This is the second time I've read this, and I think it's the best book available on viewpoint for writers. Rasley parses POV in a way I've never seen before. For example, she divides omniscient narration into three categories: objective, classical omniscient, and contemporary omniscient—all of which are different from distant third. Interesting. I don't always agree with her, especially in her application of voice and viewpoint to children's books. [Though I love the Narnia chronicles, I most em ...more
May Koliander
Very clear and detailed. Got a lot out of it especially as POV has always puzzled me !
Dana
This book was recommended to me by a group member when I posted a thread on multiple points of view and I'm glad I took up his suggestion. Well-written and comprehensive, "The Power of Point of View" covers the basics right through to the intricacies of "voice". As I'm currently writing a novel from a multiple of view, I found the last section "The Master Class" invaluable. I highly recommend it to all writers as it goes to show that the more you know the more there is to learn.
Christy
Every Character Has a VoicePoint of view isn't just an element of storytelling�when chosen carefully and employed consistently in a work of fiction, it is the foundation of a captivating story.

It's the character voice you can hear as clearly as your own. It's the unique worldview that intrigues readers�persuading them to empathize with your characters and invest in their t...more
Lisa Eckstein
I was so excited to read a book by someone who is more geeky about point of view than I am, because most writing guides don't cover the topic in nearly enough depth. Rasley analyzes each possible narrative perspective and discusses when it might be appropriate for a story. Highly recommended if that sounds exciting to you, too.
Nourddine Boughaba
If you write fiction or just love to read it well, a must-have book. Buy it, re-read it, take a master's class in the art and mystery of point of view. Brilliant.
Carole
Jeffrey Rasley
Great examples for novices and multi-published writers. Deeply thoughtful and insightful about understanding POV.
Jillian
I got this as a half-assed gift and didn't have the highest expectations, but it was decent for what it does.
kate
Oct 19, 2008 kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All writers
Shelves: non-fiction
Inspirational and a must-have resource.

Alicia is an amazing writer and editor.

Andrew
Very useful guide for POV with plenty of examples, exercises, and explanations.
Theresa
Alicia knows her stuff. Read her book and do what she says. :)
Storm Grant
There's a whole lot more to POV than just who's talking.
Shelley
Read it in parts; the writing exercises were very helpful.
Amber Zade
Amber Zade marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Rafael
Rafael marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Phil Sexton
Phil Sexton marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Ashley Reid
Ashley Reid marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Verner Hultman
Verner Hultman marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Houssein
Houssein marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Grecia
Grecia marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • Description & Setting
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • Scene and Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • How to Grow a Novel: The Most Common Mistakes Writers Make and How to Overcome Them
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • How to Write a Damn Good Thriller: A Step-by-Step Guide for Novelists and Screenwriters
  • The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters
The Year She Fell Allegra's Song (The Drewe Sisters) Charity Begins at Home Poetic Justice Royal Renegade