Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories Vol. 1

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories Vol. 1 (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,028 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The sequel to the bestselling Kingdom Hearts manga series!

The door to Kingdom Hearts was sealed, dealing a blow to the heartless and restoring the worlds to normal, but Riku and King Mickey were trapped inside! Now Sora, Donald and Goofy's search for their friends leads them to the mysterious Castle Oblivion where a hooded figure tells them, "Ahead lies something you need,

Published October 10th 2006 by TokyoPop (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories Vol. 1

Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoKingdom Hearts, Vol. 1 by Shiro AmanoCardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 by CLAMP
List of Awesome Manga/Graphic Novels!
11th out of 337 books — 136 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaBleach Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
Best Manga Books
151st out of 428 books — 300 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Maddaford
Given that the first set of Kingdom Hearts manga didn't cover everything in the first game, I don't hold much hope that these two volumes had all the content of the game Chain of Memories. I couldn't get through the game because I was hopelessly confused by and bad at the card system the game uses. I think these two volumes provide a good overview of the game, but they probably aren't the same. The manga show Riku and Sora's journey's through Castle Oblivion side by side with each of them battli...more
Holly Letson
KH must be a really frustrating game, since it has so many different worlds and characters.
Conner
The original KH manga has always been hopelessly inferior to the game. There was just no way a manga could capture the emotion and nostalgia that the game had in abundance, especially since it was so short and not very well done in the first place. But with Chain of Memories, the manga series has had a huge push in the right direction. It may help that the game in question (Chain of Memories) was always about the story and never about the gameplay anyway, because it's able to just present the st...more
Melissa
2Q 2P M/J/S

This was the first manga book I have ever read so I have very little understanding of the genre. I would recommend this series to any young adult looking to decide if they would enjoy manga or not mainly because of the recognizable characters of Mickey Mouse (a king), Donald Duck (a magician), and Goofy (just his usual self). This is also the reason it was recommended to me by a student of mine who is a huge manga fan. Once I got used to the pages going backwards and figured out how t...more
Carmen
I couldn't wait to read Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories since I had it on my shelf. I just got so caught up in the storyline that I wanted to know what was next for Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku and Mickey. This sequel to Kingdom Hearts consisted of only two volumes, but one volume was about the length of two of the Kingdom Hearts. The journey continued as Sora, Donald and Goofy enter Oblivion Castle to search for Riku and Mickey. On this journey, they start losing their memories and get confused...more
B
This was a weird game in that they had to try very hard to justify why they were retelling the whole first game but with strange, neutered combabt. But I like that the author apppears to be having some fun with it.

I don't know.

My real rating = 16 apples / 1 brick.
Aric Willman
"opinion"-I love this book because it has tots of adventure, action, thrills, suspense, and confusion.I hate this book because it is in black and white, it's backwards, and you have to read the entire series in order to get it.

Jackson hargrove
Dec 12, 2013 Jackson hargrove rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: read it
Recommended to Jackson by: jason parkhurst
Shelves: favorites
I engoy reading this book. This is a pretty desent book. I would give it tree stars. Only becase you halt to read it backwards and im not used to it. the main charectars are goofy, dolnald the duck, sora and jimmy. There are on an adventure to find there freinds that got traped in diffrent worlds. There freinds have lost there meories and jimmy goofy donald and sora are slowly losing theres. The castle that they discoverd has a spell on it to whare if anyone enters they cant leve and they slowly...more
Elena
I do enjoy the rendition of the video game especially in this form because this author knows hoe to draw the characters in a unique and cute way and also knows how to arrange the story so that it's funny and serious at the same time, in reality I've never actually finished playing the video game version but just reading this manga rendition lets me know the story so I don't have to go through all that trouble, and still keep up with the plot of the whole series. Overall I'd recommend this book t...more
Daniel
I still have problems understanding the plot for this whole game series. And oddly I really like this series. I thought I'd read Chain of Memories because I can't find the Gameboy Advance copy of the game. Still I felt that this manga was skipping parts. Oh well, it's still something cool to have sitting on your bookshelf.
Samantha
Dec 14, 2011 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Kingdom Hearts Series
After sampling the games, I got really into Kingdom Hearts. So yesterday, I curled up under my KH blanket and began to read. I had already started playing Chain Of Memories on my GBA, so I thought it would be interesting to read the manga version. I had already read Vol. 1 & 2 of the first Kingdom Hearts, so this manga seemed promising. It did not disappoint. I was smiling and laughing and left wondering what's going to happen next. Never a dull moment when Heartless are involved. =)
Malxox ♥

Axel <3

I love Kingdom Hearts, game, book, whatever. It's amazing! :)

(view spoiler)
Ottery StCatchpole
Very cute but I don't know the chronology ... as I'm also currently reading the first series and I swear I have volume 1 of Kingdom Hearts II which comes before this. Also it jumps worlds a little too quickly ... and there's really not much of a plot just fighting heartless everywhere and meeting new Disney characters. I really would like to see a longer American adaptation of this ... from BOOM or Kaboom as they're now called ... write them y'all. I did.
Mandi
I absolutely love Kingdom Hearts. The manga is more of a comedy version of it. If you're a fan of the video game, the Kingdom Hearts manga is something I would definitely recommend. This is based off Chain of Memories of course. Sora, Donald and Goofy have come to Castle Oblivion and forgotten everything. They have to travel through the castle to try to get their memories back and find King Mickey and Riku.
Susan
This is really cute artwise, and has more Sora-Donald-Goofy dorkery than the game - although the rest of it is kinda... Not what I remember from the game. All I bought it for though was to remind me what happened in the games (which is why I'm eyeing up the rest of the KH books...), and it does that pretty well!

(Reaction shot originally posted to: http://community.livejournal.com/book... )
Fizzgig76
Continued from the original Kingdom Hearts series, Sora, Donald, and Goofy find Castle Oblivion and begin to lose their memories. Organization XIII is introduced, and a plot starts to develop in the previously rather directionless story. The series starts to get better with this book, but it goes from the overly simple Kingdom Hearts to a hard to follow with lots of similar looking character story.
Momiji
This is also a continuation of the Kingdom Hearts series its also a good idea reading this series if you haven't played the GBA or the PS2 game KH:COM it may seem a bit confusing but as long you read Kingdom Hearts vol.1-4 you'll probably understand more and also the game if you beat it especially those guys wearing black and you'll get to experience what riku's been thru
Seth
This book is not just about Disney. It takes all of the characters from each show and clash them into a huge story. They have added bad guys you have never heard of. This is funny and also sad it is really great when you are bored. But you have to play the game to understand this book its really confusing you might have to read it a second time.
Corley
3.5 stars.

I've only played a small portion of Re: Chain of Memories, but I know most of the plot. This volume was actually really good, much better than the KH manga series' first volume! The chapters are longer, and I like getting to see more of Riku's battle as he fights against the darkness. Now if Naminé could just come in...
George
Nov 03, 2008 George rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to George by: no one
Sora comes face-to-face with new foes and new places in the realm of darkness. He finds Castle Oblivion, a castle that revolves around memories and cards, ironically. The emotional attachments he must feel to his since-passed memories must be intense. It's a good experience.
Lluvia Almanza
I didn't play Chain of Memories until it was released as Re: for the PlayStation 2.This manga helped me understand what happened between the first game and the second. I do wish there had been more volumes as the game has a lot more details than were covered in the manga.
Roxanne
Mr
Oct 28, 2008 Mr rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who likes comics
Recommended to Mr by: no one
It's about a guy named sora. He meets lots of Disney character. He gets a key blade and it is a strong weapon. I learned that the book is very good.

By: Danny
213 pages read.
Sabrina
I really enjoyed this other part of Kingdom Hearts. I liked the idea of Castle Oblivion, though it was kind of confusing, but I guess that was what they wanted. As usual I really liked the drawings as well.
Alex
Apr 29, 2007 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I like how this manga tied in with the game, but it should have been colored. I like the size but there weren't enough disney worlds tied into the story.
Lorian Jones
love this comic booki wish i can get a chance to play this gamei am a big fan KINGDOM HEARTand i will play very KINGDOM HEART games if i have to
Ray Waltz
I liked this one a lot! It explaioned the video game soo much!!! I was like every five seconds, "Ohh!!! So THAT'S how it happened!"
Naomi
Nov 26, 2008 Naomi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Alright, I didn't play Chain of Memories, but the manga is great. I'm glad they switched it to read backwards like a regular manga.
Mas5thgrade2011
i like this book it was funny.no it wasen't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aubrey Hansen
Confusing, as was the original Kingdom Hearts manga, but still fun and clean, with just a few spots of crude humor.
  • Kingdom Hearts Official Strategy Guide (Signature Series)
  • Kingdom Hearts II: Official Strategy Guide
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 13 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #13)
  • .hack// Legend of the Twilight, Vol. 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Zelda, #8)
  • Tokyo Mew Mew, Vol. 02
  • Princess Ai: Destitution (Princess Ai, #1)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 6: Monster Fight! (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #6)
  • Princess Ai: The Prism of Midnight Dawn, Volume 1 (Princess Ai, #4)
Shiro Amano (天野 シロ, born January 4, 1976) is a Japanese manga artist who has worked on several projects, including his adaptation on the popular Kingdom Hearts series.
More about Shiro Amano...
Kingdom Hearts, Vol. 1 (Kingdom Hearts, #1) Kingdom Hearts II Volume 1 Kingdom Hearts, Vol. 2 (Kingdom Hearts, #2) Kingdom Hearts, Vol. 3 (Kingdom Hearts, #3) Kingdom Hearts, Vol. 4 (Kingdom Hearts, #4)

“ One heart fulfills all hearts.
All hearts lead to the same heart.
"Kingdom Hearts"
A place where the mighty hearts lives.
And where darkness is endlessly deep.”
31 likes