Start by marking “Rumpole's Last Case” as Want to Read:
Rumpole's Last Case

Rumpole's Last Case (Rumpole of the Bailey #6)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Rumpole is on the job again, with his taste for claret, his penchant for poetry, and his reputation of a good story. This time, several interesting cases of murder and suspicious doings pass through chambers.
Published February 7th 1990 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpole's Last Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpole's Last Case

Steve
Would have been a 5 but the narrator (it was audible) was only so-so. Not gravely enough. Leo McKearn has ruined me for all other Rumpoles.
Felicity
I think perhaps I am not really old enough (although I am no youngster) British enough or male enough to fully appreciate Rumpole. Somehow, I just don't get the adulation. It's well written but god so boring and so dry that it's long since crusted over.
Elizabeth
Vicki Cline
Another bunch of stories about that inimitable barrister, Horace Rumpole. In "Rumpole and the Official Secret" he defends a middle-aged eccentric clerical worker from charges that she leaked official secrets, to wit, the budget in her department for "biscuits" aka cookies. And in "Rumpole's Last Case" he's about to tell off Judge Bullingham because he's about to come into a fortune after betting on the horse races. I'll leave it to you to guess whether he actually quits.
bella
Sep 04, 2012 bella added it
I'm going to review each story with a mini-review as I read through this one.

Rumpole & the Blind Tasting - Rumpole experiences his first wine tasting, which helps him with a case for the infamous Timsons, when they are charged with stealing cases of wine. It is always fun seeing Rumpole in court against Judge "Bull" Bullington, and the reader gets a taste of why Rumpole loves his wine so much. We also see the first introduction of Liz Probert. Excellent story!
Maggie
just for the fun of it. totally british eccentric. what's not to like? a barrister who knows how to solve cases while standing in court. and then there is his wife, hilda -- she who must be obeyed. pure fun.
Rose
Aug 14, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: 2009, fiction
I didn't know this collection of Rumpole stories existed, and thought I had exhausted the canon. Happily, I was wrong, and Mortimer delivers another lot of sharp and witty stories.
Sandi
It's always fun to catch up with the greatest barrister of all time. Listened to the audio version read by Bill Wallis.
Grace
Hilarious, with bittersweet observations.
Donna
Rumpole up to his old tricks! Gotta love it!
Judy
As always, Rumpole is a delight.
Pithee
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Ruth Dingle
Ruth Dingle marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Gudbjorg
Gudbjorg marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Sandra
Sandra added it
Aug 10, 2014
Michelle Hickey
Michelle Hickey marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
  • Black Butterflies
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • What You Make It: A Book Of Short Stories
  • The Small Assassin
  • Citizen In Space
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • The Dark Country
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • War Fever
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • Killer in the Rain
  • The Eleventh Man
  • The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #3)
  • The Man from the Diogenes Club
  • Oceanic
  • Civil War Stories
  • Approaching Oblivion
  • The Dog Said Bow-Wow
John Clifford Mortimer is a novelist, playwright and former practising barrister. Among his many publications are several volumes of Rumpole stories and a trilogy of political novels, Paradise Postponed, Titmuss Regained and The Sound of Trumpets, featuring Leslie Titmuss - a character as brilliant as Rumpole.

John Mortimer received a knighthood for his services to the arts in 1998.

Series:
Rumpole...more
More about John Mortimer...
Rumpole of the Bailey The First Rumpole Omnibus Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders Rumpole Rests His Case Rumpole and the Reign of Terror