Start by marking “Rumpole's Last Case” as Want to Read:
Rumpole's Last Case

Rumpole's Last Case (Rumpole of the Bailey #6)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Rumpole is on the job again, with his taste for claret, his penchant for poetry, and his reputation of a good story. This time, several interesting cases of murder and suspicious doings pass through chambers.
Published February 7th 1990 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpole's Last Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpole's Last Case

Michael
This was just what the doctor ordered for mental chiropractics. For realigning my spirit over the gloom of impending winter and too much serious reading. The BBC TV series begun in the late 70’s was almost as much relief from the madness of the world as Monty Python, and its extensions through the Reagan and Thatcher years into the early 90’s was always a safe haven. And by golly, I have been missing the old curmudgeon.

My choice to do an audiobook version of this collection means I could visuali
Steve
Would have been a 5 but the narrator (it was audible) was only so-so. Not gravely enough. Leo McKearn has ruined me for all other Rumpoles.
Felicity
I think perhaps I am not really old enough (although I am no youngster) British enough or male enough to fully appreciate Rumpole. Somehow, I just don't get the adulation. It's well written but god so boring and so dry that it's long since crusted over.
David Weinfeld
classic Rumpole, I love it.
Elizabeth
Vicki Cline
Another bunch of stories about that inimitable barrister, Horace Rumpole. In "Rumpole and the Official Secret" he defends a middle-aged eccentric clerical worker from charges that she leaked official secrets, to wit, the budget in her department for "biscuits" aka cookies. And in "Rumpole's Last Case" he's about to tell off Judge Bullingham because he's about to come into a fortune after betting on the horse races. I'll leave it to you to guess whether he actually quits.
bella
Sep 04, 2012 bella added it
I'm going to review each story with a mini-review as I read through this one.

Rumpole & the Blind Tasting - Rumpole experiences his first wine tasting, which helps him with a case for the infamous Timsons, when they are charged with stealing cases of wine. It is always fun seeing Rumpole in court against Judge "Bull" Bullington, and the reader gets a taste of why Rumpole loves his wine so much. We also see the first introduction of Liz Probert. Excellent story!
Maggie
just for the fun of it. totally british eccentric. what's not to like? a barrister who knows how to solve cases while standing in court. and then there is his wife, hilda -- she who must be obeyed. pure fun.
Rose
Aug 14, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: 2009, fiction
I didn't know this collection of Rumpole stories existed, and thought I had exhausted the canon. Happily, I was wrong, and Mortimer delivers another lot of sharp and witty stories.
Sandi
It's always fun to catch up with the greatest barrister of all time. Listened to the audio version read by Bill Wallis.
Grace
Hilarious, with bittersweet observations.
Donna
Rumpole up to his old tricks! Gotta love it!
Judy
As always, Rumpole is a delight.
Pithee
Graeme
Graeme marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Theo
Theo marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5)
  • The Dragon Seekers: How An Extraordinary Circle Of Fossilists Discovered The Dinosaurs And Paved The Way For Darwin
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • Black Butterflies
  • Traitor's Purse (Albert Campion Mystery #11)
  • Horse Under Water
  • If This is Love, I'll Take Spaghetti
  • Blott on the Landscape
  • What You Make It: A Book Of Short Stories
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • Canapes for the Kitties
  • The Vatican Rip (Lovejoy, #5)
  • Gypsy in Amber
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (Felse, #7)
  • Let's Put the Future Behind Us
John Clifford Mortimer is a novelist, playwright and former practising barrister. Among his many publications are several volumes of Rumpole stories and a trilogy of political novels, Paradise Postponed, Titmuss Regained and The Sound of Trumpets, featuring Leslie Titmuss - a character as brilliant as Rumpole.

John Mortimer received a knighthood for his services to the arts in 1998.

Series:
Rumpole
More about John Mortimer...

Rumpole of the Bailey (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Rumpole of the Bailey
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • Rumpole's Return
  • Rumpole for the Defence
  • Rumpole and the Golden Thread
  • Rumpole and the Age of Miracles (Rumpole)
  • Rumpole à la Carte
  • Rumpole on Trial
  • Rumpole and the Angel of Death
  • Rumpole Rests His Case
Rumpole of the Bailey The First Rumpole Omnibus Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders Rumpole Rests His Case Rumpole and the Reign of Terror