Start by marking “Programming Entity Framework: Code First” as Want to Read:
Programming Entity Framework: Code First

Programming Entity Framework: Code First

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Take advantage of the Code First data modeling approach in ADO.NET Entity Framework, and learn how to build and configure a model based on existing classes in your business domain. With this concise book, you’ll work hands-on with examples to learn how Code First can create an in-memory model and database by default, and how you can exert more control over the model throug ...more
Kindle Edition, Kindle Edition, 192 pages
Published November 18th 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Entity Framework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Entity Framework

David
I really enjoyed this book. Some information is a little out-of-date, especially in the section regarding what comes next. Also, the metadata table that they mention also doesn't exist any more, either.

Overall, honestly I'd say this book is definitely worth reading to anyone who's into C#/Entity Framework. I found that this book really supplements the Pro ASP.NET MVC 4 book that I am also going through. There's quite a bit with the entity framework, and the Pro ASP.NET book simply didn't cover e
Kornelije
Great book if you are starting with Code First.
I was expecting more examples with a bit more complex scenarios, but even ones provided are good enough.
The book does not talk much about how run different queries. It really focuses on different aspects of Entity Framework Code First.

Also, the edition I was reading was about EF 4.1, which was outdated version at that time, so things have changed in EF since.

Russ
Only 176 pages, but well focused. Covers the key concepts and implementation of the default conventions and details how they can be overridden or disabled as required. This and the companion "Programming Entity Framework DBContext" together form a great reference to the Code First approach introduced to Entity Framework.
Scott W.
Quick, well-organized guide to Code First. It came recommended to me by another developer and served as a good introduction. I'm sure it will continue to be great as a reference once I dive into EF with my project.
Евгений
Хорошая книга для начала работы... Как видно из названия, рассказывается только про одну из граней Entity Frmework.
Ben Rand
When I received this book (and the counterpart DbContext), I was a little disappointed at how short it is. But it's actually just very focused and concise, a rarity in most programming books. Well written, clear, and to the point with no fluff.

If you're new to EntityFramework, you still probably need to read the seminal Programming EntityFramework, but this is a very good companion covering an aspect of EF I'd like to use.
Ann Hoang
Good intro to Code First, enough to get you up and running if you're already familiar with EF. Book came out before Migrations, however -- hopefully Lerman will update soon.
Indra Gunawan
Very detail and helpful especially for someone who is new to Entity Framework (Code First)
Luong Le Tu
a good book for code first in ef, but it is a little outdated now. Hope for an update- i.e. 3rd Edition
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Adrian Tillman
Adrian Tillman is currently reading it
May 20, 2015
Robert E.
Robert E. marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Joe
Joe added it
Feb 16, 2015
Ryan Jackson
Ryan Jackson is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2015
Jim Lamb
Jim Lamb marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Mitton Pienaar
Mitton Pienaar marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Besart Domazeti
Besart Domazeti marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Julie Lerman is a Microsoft MVP, .NET mentor and consultant who lives in the hills of Vermont. You can find Julie presenting on data access and other Microsoft .NET topics at user groups and conferences around the world. Julie blogs at thedatafarm.com/blog, is the author of the highly acclaimed "Programming Entity Framework (with a second edition released in August 2010) and authors the MSDN Magaz ...more
More about Julia Lerman...
Programming Entity Framework Programming Entity Framework: DbContext CODE Magazine - 2008 Sep/Oct CODE Magazine - 2009 Jul/Aug CODE Magazine - 2009 Sep/Oct