Start by marking “SILVER: Acheron (A River of Pain) (Silver #1)” as Want to Read:
SILVER: Acheron (A River of Pain) (Silver #1)

SILVER: Acheron (A River of Pain) (Silver #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
2342 CE

Dishonorably discharged from the Hunter Division and banished for crimes she did not commit, Silver struggles to come to terms with her new prison-like surroundings: a segregated area of the city called the Fringe District, populated by murderers, thieves and rapists.

Starving, and desperate for money, she reluctantly accepts the Police Division's invitation to enr
Published November 30th 2011 (first published November 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about SILVER, please sign up.

Keira Hi :) Her relationship with Alex was against Hunter Division rules and thus was career-destroying (it did result in her discharge), but it wasn't a…moreHi :) Her relationship with Alex was against Hunter Division rules and thus was career-destroying (it did result in her discharge), but it wasn't a criminal offense. Silver was banished for treason (an attempt to kill the Governor), which is a charge she denies (and is a story arc that continues and builds over the first 7 Silver books). I hope this helps :)(less)

Angela
Dec 08, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it

I am not usually a great fan of violent, post- apocalyptic fiction, but have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Silver: Acheron by Keira Michelle Telford.
We are introduced to the main character, Silver, immediately and we quickly gain insight into her personality. She is certainly no automaton - she makes decisions which are difficult and controversial, but which you feel are a sign of her strength of character, rather than deliberate defiance of authority.
The story is well constructed and fast p
Pavarti Tyler
Sep 24, 2012 Pavarti Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, for-review
Disclaimer: I received a copy of Silver in exchange for an HONEST review. I made no promise that my review would be positive and was not compensated in any way.

Holy Shit-balls Batman, do I have a new series for you! Seriously! Have you been looking for something to read that's better than the YA crap that's pumped out ad nauseum? Have you been looking for an adult book, with deep themes and grown-up sensitivities that's still fun? Have you been looking for something to get your violence and adul
Julie Powell
Nov 17, 2012 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous start to this post-apocalyptic story. It's hard-hitting, believable and wonderfully written. Fast-paced, I was at once emerged within this credible world, where being tough is the norm.

Silver is likeable, believable, strong yet sensitive and always does what she must despite how terrible it is and I'm already reading the second in the series, desperate to find out what happens to her, Alice, Alex, Luka and the world of 'terrible creatures' that we can both abhor and feel some degree
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
The following review is my opinion and not a paid review. I was given a free copy of the book from the author for my honest opinion.

Silver has been discharged from her job as a hunter in the Police Division. She has been banned to the Fringe District which is populated with murderers, thieves and rapists. With no job or money it leaves her without any food or the supplies she needs to survive. Silver being in a dire need for money accepts an offer from the Police Division as a Bounty Hunter. As
A.M.
Feb 06, 2013 A.M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The setting is interesting, but the prose a little expository. Also I often struggle with present tense, which didn't help.

The ending left me unsatisfied, too... As often happens with first books in a series, the conclusion made me feel like I'd been reading. prologue instead of a stand alone story.

That said, overall the plot and setting I liked. So this hovers at a 2.5 star rating for me.
shef
May 16, 2016 shef rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There may be some spoilers ahead.

THE SERIES OVERVIEW

Currently, this is an 8-book series about a dystopian/post-apocalyptic world that takes place more than 300 yrs into the future. It centers on a new world overrun by genetic mutant monsters (Chimera) and one region of surviving humanity (formerly the American NE) who attempt to reclaim life as they once knew it.

This has brought about the rise of the Hunter Division, an elite military force of warriors trained from youth who keep the man-eating
Naqahdahnellie
Intriguing world and story. Didn't care for the main character much. Didn't care for the crudeness. It just seemed crude for the sake of being crude, and didn't add much to the story.
Kat

Silver: Acheron is one of 'those' books for me - the world-building is top-class, and I'm hard-stretched to think of any recent read that has done it better. Nuclear war is the cause of the apocalypse that has pushed human beings to the brink of extinction. The prologue didn't really work for me, I found it a little choppy and difficult to immerse myself in - but once the story itself started, I was completed hooked.....

When Ella 'Silver' Cross is banished to the Fringe District after
Laurie
Silver is an extremely complicated character. A few times I got a glimpse of the person she once was but, now, banished, ripped from her lover’s arms, and all-but broken mentally from the travails she has endured, Silver has hardened her heart and carries around a huge chip on her shoulder. I tried to be sympathetic to her plight and to her situation but, honestly, she makes it incredibly difficult. However, the few times she lowered her guard a little bit, especially with the mysterious Alice, ...more
Maghon Thomas
Well now, my distopian fans will fall in love! I did and I will say maybe if you aren’t for the darker side of things, it may not be for you. I actually loved this part. The fact that things are not pretty and cuddly are what made this book for me! It’s gut-wrenching, scary, cruel, but beautiful I know those things don’t always go well together, but for here, it’s perfect!

Silver is complicated. She’s tough- as a hunter she must be- and yet she has a forbidden love with a fellow hunter- this gets
Abigail
Mar 09, 2013 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words have been escaping me for the last week as I try to write a review worthy of this book. It is an incredible start to a series which has me bagged, tagged and shackled up tight. There is not anything I do not like about this book.

I am not in love with all the characters but I have connected to them all. There is a teasing air of sexiness about the whole thing. Who will Silver end up being with after the hurt of Alex goes away… will it ever truly go away? Wait, we have no clue! I guess I wil
Liz at Fictional Candy
Wow, what a crazy book!! I wasn't sure how I was going to like this book, its not my usual genres. In fact, I think its largely classified as science fiction, although I didn't even think of that classification until I saw it had been done. But I totally agree. It took place in like a post apocalyptic, dystopian, sci-fi futuristic world.

So its several hundred years away from now. This woman, Silver, is a basically a hunter for the government. She hunts Chimera which are these disgusting evoluti
Aliraluna
Jul 05, 2012 Aliraluna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Silver loses everyting because of her. From the Hunter Division just another day of her life, Silver finds out an "abnormal" girl with beautiful but odd purple eyes within one of the lairs of Chimera; Chimera are the abhorrent result of an Old World catastrophe and Silver is trained to be a Hunter. Is her job to kill monsters. But when she sees this girl neither human nor Chimera she doesn't want to kill her and tries to keep it as a secret, but that secret came with a price: banishment to the o ...more
Mindy
Silver is a hunter. She hunts and exterminates Chimera, a feral species who hunt humans. On one raid she finds a woman in a den of Chimera and they haven’t tried to hurt her. Unable to kill the woman, as she doesn’t kill humans, Silver saves her and smuggles her into a safe house in the lawless lands planning to visit soon. But that very night Silver is arrested and outcast, not killed because of her father’s position in society, a month later because she dared to have a love relationship with a ...more
Rebecca Graf
Jun 23, 2012 Rebecca Graf rated it really liked it
I have never really been a fan of books or movies about a post-catastrophic world. I am finding material that is changing my mind. Silver: Acheron (A River of Pain) by Keira Michelle Telford is one of those convincing books.

The world is not as it is now. Most of it is gone. It is slowly being reclaimed by humans. The animals on the outside are hunted to make way for civilization. Yet civilization has its own dark side. Silver finds out when she is suddenly taken from the elite status of Hunter,
Gaele
Mar 06, 2013 Gaele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Oh My Goodness! In a fun book, like a YA, but far more adult in feel and tone, Telford has delivered a story that is darker than I normally read, but oh so much fun!

The world building was tremendous, with a protagonist, Silver, who is hard as nails but still manages to let enough of her guard slip so you see the soft cuddly bunny (ok – not really, but some vulnerability) inside. With graphic and often disturbing imagery, the author has painted a viable and quite realistic sense of those left be
Michelle McPherson
I loved the unique take on "zombies", in viral mutations. The society created is a tad bit scary and the food sources leave a lot to be desired but makes the story that much more riveting. There is a lot going on and I have already purchased the next story.
Sanchi
Oct 18, 2012 Sanchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on goodreads/firstreads:

I started this book with hesitation because of how small it was, and I was hooked from the first sentence! This is a dystopian book about a girl named silver who is banished from the life she has known into a world of terror, but lucky for her she has been born to fight as a hunter. This is definitely an adult read I do not recommend to young kids at all. I do however recommend this book for all adults who enjoy a good dystopian book:0 I loved this story a
Meredith
Oct 01, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have been five stars if it hadn't fallen apart somewhat at the final couple chapters. Still an excellent read and I will be picking up the rest. Silver and Alice make for a dynamic duo of strong female characters.
Roxanne
Jul 06, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book in a group of books... Grabbed my attention I will have to continue. Action packed..
Cinta
Nov 07, 2014 Cinta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review coming soon
Erin  Dove
Mar 27, 2013 Erin Dove rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review up on Bookluvrs Haven tomorrow!!!
Odd Bin
Odd Bin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Lila Hal
Lila Hal is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
Harish
Harish marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Dani Holmes
Dani Holmes rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
jeannette Benedict
jeannette Benedict marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
  • Dead Light
  • A New Threat
  • Paradise 21 (A New Dawn, #1)
  • Blood and Bone (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #3)
  • Phoebe Pope and the Year of Four (Shapers, #1)
  • Good Intentions (Dead War #1)
  • Chasing Midnight (The Dark of Night, #2)
  • The Bonded
  • Matt Archer: Redemption (Matt Archer #5)
  • Upload
  • Nightwolves on the Prowl
  • The Perpetual Rain (The Chronicles of Trellah, #1)
  • Secrets and Lies (Cassie Scot, #2)
  • Dangerous Designs (Design, #1)
  • Savage Magic (Shifty Magic #3)
  • Green Valley
  • Eden
  • The Newstead Project
Keira Michelle Telford is an award-winning author with a love for the gruesome, the macabre, and the downright filthy. She writes dystopian science fiction, contemporary and historical erotic lesbian romance, and other lesbian fiction, often with a focus on age-gap relationships.
More about Keira Michelle Telford...

Silver (5 books)
  • SILVER: The Lost & Damned (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #2) (Silver, #2)
  • SILVER: Entropy (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #3) (Silver, #3)
  • SILVER: A New Age Dawns (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #4) (Silver, #4)
  • SILVER: Quietus (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #5) (Silver, #5)