Start by marking “Homefront Hero” as Want to Read:
Homefront Hero

Homefront Hero

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Dashing and valiantly wounded, Captain John Gallows could have stepped straight out of an army recruitment poster. Leanne Sample can't help being impressed—although the lovely Red Cross nurse tries to hide it. She knows better than to get attached to the daring captain who is only home to heal and help rally support for the war's final push. As soon as he's well enough, he ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Love Inspired

To ask other readers questions about Homefront Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homefront Hero

Andrea Guy
Allie's Homefront Hero is set in one of my favorite periods of modern history, World War One. So much time is spent on Nazi Germany that The Great War is often ignored these days. So when I had the opportunity to read this book, I jumped at it.

The first thing I noticed about this book was how wonderfully real the characters were. Leanne was so real and so was John. I loved the scenes at the beginning of the book where she's trying to teach him to knit for the war effort.

John is an injured soldi
Julie
Apr 20, 2012 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters, WWI, nurse, inspirational fiction lovers
Some romances are so good they leave you stunned, unable to read anything else for days. Maybe a hero comes along who changes before your eyes from an ordinary man to a person of great sacrifice, thanks to the friendship, love and example of a marvelous heroine. Maybe an author uses the inspiration of an unexpected footnote of history, men knitting during wartime, to weave romantic scenes throughout her story. Maybe life, death and faith are written about in such a compelling manner, the emotion ...more
Michelle
Homefront Hero had a lot of realism in it. I found the knitting theme and the promo done to get people knitting socks for soldiers to be a cute theme and an interesting way to bring the hero and heroine together and make them have a reason to have physical contact. I loved how they didn't like each other at first, but at the same time were attracted to each other. This theme is not uncommon in romances, but the author did a great job showing those walls coming down between them. In fact, that wa ...more
Judy
Homefront Hero by Allie Pleiter
Captain John Gallows has survived the war and been dubbed a hero. He is suave and smooth and as a Gallows….gets pretty much what he wants. And he wants to get back to France and fight in the war. To earn the title “hero” the world has given him. Only his bum leg is keeping that from happening, but he’s a Gallows and he’ll get his way. Even if he has to get by learning to knit a sock and be a poster boy.

Leanne Sample is a nurse. The pride she feels at being in Camp
Kym McNabney
I must say that ALLIE PLEITER continues to amaze me with her historical novels. Her writing style for them is so different then her contemporary, yet there is still that touch of Allie, that makes her books so great with the wonderful lines she delivers.

Leanne Samples is a Red Cross nurse with a job ahead of her that doesn’t include a handsome Captain who doesn’t intend to stick around. When she gets a glimpse into the real Captain John Gallows, her heart softens towards the man.

John Gallows m
Rhonda
Homefront Hero by Allie Pleiter
4 STARS I started the book and before long I did not like hero at all. Then things began to change as I got to know him longer the more I grew to like Captain John Gallows. In the end I was sorry to see them go. Homefront Hero takes place in 1918 during World War 1 at Camp Jackson Army Base Columbia, South Carolina. Leanne Sample has just graduated from nursing school at University of South Carolina and is now working at base army hospital. Leanne is also signed u
Elizabeth S
This book is absolutely wonderful. I stopped reading LI because they were all alike but Allie has always had a twist of humor that makes her books delightful. This one is her best yet!
This book has three of my favorite things, knitting, wwI and socks for soldiers. The hero John Gallows learns to knit for a Red Cross drive with the aid of Leanne Sample. He starts on socks which are tricky and on camera no less. The romance devolving around knitting is just wonderful and what is more is historica
Donna
September 1918, Leanne Sample and her roommate, Ida Landway, just arrived at Camp Jackson Army Base in Columbia, South Carolina. Both had join the Red Cross as nurses to work at the military base. They would be roommates in the Red Cross House. Leanne's mother and father would have rather had their daughter closer to home. She was adamant in taking her job seriously and she would write.

Captain John Gallows was in Columbia to give a "rousing patriotic speech". He was a patriotic hero to others, b
Becky
I really enjoyed this book. It made me smile, it made me cry, it made me want to try knitting socks! (Or maybe crocheting them instead. My last knitting effort was pretty disastrous.) It's always fun to see a story incorporate a craft into it, and of course I love a well-written historical. This one had both. The characters were interesting, their journeys were believable, and it had a really nice message about what it means to be a hero. The epilogue, an article in the magazine that helped to b ...more
Elizabeth
Another stellar read from Allie Pleiter! This one takes place in South Carolina at the tail end of World War I. Leanne is freshly-graduated from nursing school and working as a Red Cross nurse; John is a war hero, giving speeches and trying desperately to heal from a grievous wound and to prove that he's healthy enough to go back to the trenches. Trying to charm a general into clearing him for duty, John reluctantly agrees to participate in a publicity campaign which requires him to learn to kni ...more
AJ
May 28, 2013 AJ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comps
I admit, I've long avoided the shelves of little Love Inspired Historicals at my local Mardel because I looked down on them as inferior. I only picked up "Homefront Hero" because I was desperate for comps for my own early-20th-century historical WIP. I am delighted to say this little book completely won me over. I laughed and cried and laughed some more. Allie Pleiter brought her characters to life with glorious honesty and detail, and the story was deftly woven (or should I say knitted) togethe ...more
Dawn
Captain John Gallows is recovering from a wound to his leg. He's become the poster boy for the war effort. Nurse Leanne Sample is startled to discover that her newest knitting student is the handsome hero. Sparks fly as they begin to knit. When an outbreak puts their lives in danger, will he heed the orders of his commander or the call of his heart?

What a fun read. I enjoyed this book a lot. As someone who practices a craft similar to knitting, I crochet, I understood the struggles that John fac
Deanna
Awesome book! I absolutely loved it! Excellent! This book had it all, strong characters, a great heroine, a great hero. And they had depth and insight. You could really feel the deep connection the characters formed with one another, physically, mentally and spiritually. The book also had an inspirational side, adding God's love and strength to the relationship. Last but not least the heroine in the book was a nurse so it even had a medical scenario to it! An absolute, excellent feel good love s ...more
Kate
I go to the LoveInspired Historical line when I want a sweet, romantic story that has a great emotional core. This one was very well done; the faith parts worked well with the story and were not too heavy-handed. I liked that the hero changed so much and gained a lot of depth through his interaction with the heroine. I particularly liked the knitting aspect as it served as a great metaphor for the hero's healing. All in all, a solid and interesting time period and story.
June

I enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting to see how the "hero" reacted to his heroics, saying he wasn't a hero, he was only thinking of saving himself. And then when Leanne was able to totally understand how he felt when she was getting all the attention. The scene where he finally turns her over to God, even though it about killed him, was very touching to me. Awesome job on this book.
Gail
WWI setting. Hero's a recuperating war hero, heroine is a nurse. There's a PR campaign, his fight to heal his injury & go back to war, his cynicism vs. her faith, & then the great flu epidemic strikes. Good read. I liked the unusual time setting.
Mistyblue
I enjoyed these characters. The storyline was slightly different, as most heros are hail and hearty, and the whole point of this book was the injured hero. I enjoyed getting to know him in this story. :)
Janis Kay
Loved.this.book!!! Being a history geek, I thought this was an awesome, well-researched story of the Spanish flu epidemic:) Can't wait to read her next book!! ><
Cindy
Great story with many poignant--as well as humorous--moments.
One of Pleiter's best historicals so far!
Jaquelyn Scroggie
I really enjoyed this book. It was more real than some books in the way that because she was a nurse, she dealt with death. John is a war hero who can't wait to get back to the front lines. Before a rally John meets Leanne, a red cross nurse, who he finds interesting. Leanne can see through Johns facade and soon their paths continually cross. Can Leanne show John Gods love? What will John do if he finally gets the okay to go back to the front lines? A great book!
Ann Torrey
Excellent actually brought tears to my eyes on one part.
Ariana
This was a beautiful story and it brought tears to my eyes multiple times. I really enjoy the Love Inspired Historical collection for two reasons: I love a good period-set story and they are about love and romance more than other romance novels nowadays that concentrate more on sex. My one issue, however, was, myself not being religious, all the talk of God. I found it to be annoying and illogical just as I do any talk of God. Still a great story, though.
Rebekah Hart
At first I was like, "This is a pretty good book," then I was like, "They are so adorable! I love this," and I ended up like, "THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Shawn
Just had a hard time getting into this book. Couldn't connect with the characters.
Renee Sprague
Renee Sprague marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
Alyssa (The Shady Glade) marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Free Books, .99 &...: Harlequin Love Inspired Giveaway 2 15 May 16, 2012 01:39AM
Love Inspired Books: Love Inspired Historical Giveaway! 3 12 May 14, 2012 07:07AM
  • The Homesteader's Sweetheart (Wyoming Legacy #1)
  • Love on the Range
  • An Inconvenient Match
  • Winning the Widow's Heart
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • The Governess and Mr. Granville (The Parson's Daughters, #2)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • Hometown Cinderella: Hometown Cinderella \ The Inn at Hope Springs
  • The Captain's Courtship
  • The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2)
  • Spring Creek Bride
  • Brides of the West: Josie's Wedding Dress\Last Minute Bride\Her Ideal Husband
  • The Runaway Bride
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
  • Legacy of Love
  • Her Captain's Heart (Gabriel Sisters, #1)
  • The Aristocrat's Lady
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
An avid knitter, coffee junkie, and devoted chocoholic, Allie Pleiter writes both fiction and non-fiction. The enthusiastic but slightly untidy mother of two, Allie spends her days writing books, doing laundry, running carpools, and finding new ways to avoid housework. She grew up in Connecticut, holds a BS in Speech from Northwestern University, spent fifteen years in the field of professional fu ...more
More about Allie Pleiter...
The Perfect Blend My So Called Love Life Falling for the Fireman (Gordon Falls, #1) Bluegrass Blessings (Kentucky Corners #3) Bluegrass Hero (Kentucky Corners #1)