Promise in a Kiss

Promise in a Kiss

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  33 reviews
At the age of ten, Darren promised he would love his friend Adam forever and that they would someday marry, and sealed the promise with a kiss. One month later, his friend was gone, and their promise lost to the passage of time.

Years later, Darren can't forget that long ago promise, and at the urging of a friend, decides to take a chance and track down the boy he once love...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Less Than Three Press

Heather C
This put a big smile on my face!!

This was such a cute story about two childhood friends trying to find their way back to each other 15 years later. It's a little fairy tale-ish, but still an enjoyable read. It really made my crappy day a little bit happier.
Lauraadriana
2.5 Stars
The beginning of this short was really cute, but I just didn't feel like I got much more information than what I already knew from the blurb.

The premise was a bit of a stretch, but it could have still worked for me if I had felt that by the end I knew something about the characters. Even it it had been a fairy tale I would have liked just a bit more emotion in the characters. I feel like I barely knew anything by the end, there was not much to them. (view spoiler)...more
Cole Riann
2.75 stars (rounded up)

The premise of this story is cute, I just had some problems with the execution. I couldn't really get around the big coincidence that brings the two back together. I also felt like the plot was pretty generic. It didn't seem to become more personalized, I suppose with setting, character, etc.

The best part of the story was the beginning. THAT was really cute :)

In the end, it's not a terrible story and I know that a lot of people have liked it. It just didn't seem to come al...more
Vio
Adorable dream come true romance. A couple of obstacles get in the way of Adam and Darren's reunion, for a minute I thought it wasn't going to work out and all their efforts to find each other would be for nothing. Happily we get to see that sweet first meeting. Sequel planned for this couple hopefully because this was too short and only touched the surface.
Ami
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
2.5

As many have said, the beginning of this little story was SUPER SUPER cute. Loved it. It was the rest of the story that didn't work for me. It felt like the first few pages of a novel or novella instead of a short story that could stand on its own.

Perhaps there will be more written about this couple?

Morgana
A sweet story about two childhood friends, who after long years of no contact decide to find each other and find out whether the promise made at the age of 10 could lead to something more.

Veronica / V
It could have been perfect if the story was a little bit longer.
It was very sweet and cute.
There is not happy ending, not even HFN, actually, who knows if the end up together.
Chris
2.5 stars. Ok short m/m romance about two guys who made a promise to each other when they were kids, then lost touch. While this was sweet, it felt more like a tease than an actual story.
Arthur
I like the premise. I can accept some coincidents. Too many of them, and I just lost interest. Too bad. It could have been very cute sweet romance.
Jilrene ♥ ★
Sweet, sweet short story.
Lady*M
I have read a few short stories by this author and I enjoyed them a great deal. The blurb and unconventional cover were additional reasons that attracted me to this story. However, the story fails to deliver a satisfactory conclusion, primarily due to a series of coincidences which seemed artificial. If this was a story with a clearly defined “fairy tale” feel, I probably wouldn't mind so much, but, as it is, I was mildly disappointed.

The best things about Promise in a Kiss are the author's flui...more
Jayhjay
This review was originally published on my blog Joyfully Jay

At the age of ten, Darren McGraw proposes to his best friend Adam. The boys think they will be friends forever, but Adam's family soon relocates to Japan and the boys lose touch.

Fifteen years later, Darren finds his mind wandering back to his childhood friend, wondering if Adam remembers the promise that they made to one day marry. With his romantic life going nowhere, Darren allows his friend Kim to convince him to look up Adam and rec...more
Miah
Not enough.
Jordie.R

When Darren is 10 he proposes to Adam and promises to love him forever. A few weeks later, Adam's dad is transferred to Japan , it's 15 years later and Darren hasn't seen him since. Adam is still in Japan and Darren is wondering "What if" ? What if Adam is still single, what if Adam remembers the promise, what if he is straight and married? There is only one way to find out!

This book put a big smile on my face and made me happy. Sometimes childhood dreams do come true!
Lily

Started out strong but was ultimately a bit disappointing. I could see them looking for each other (hoping they had a chance at a relationship) if the promise had happened when they were older, like in high school instead of when they were ten. Also the coincidental meeting seemed like a bit of a stretch to me. Or it would have worked better for me if we got to see them together after their reunion.
Melora
★★½ - Okay to pass the time with, but be prepared to roll your eyes at parts.
(view spoiler)
Lauren
This was such a cute little story! It was predictable and a little far-fetched, but I really didn't care. That's how I like my romance, and the cute factor was exactly what I was looking for. I just wish it had been longer - I'd really love to read more about these two, learn some more about them, and find out what happens next :) Keep up the good work, Piper.
blub
The idea of a marriage proposal at childhood has been done in lots of manga so the idea of it actually happening isn't unbelievable. It's a bit farfetched to believe that the 2 MC's came to the same though of meeting up with each other at the same time but if you're a big believer of fate the story kind of works.
Mel
Well the storyline is nothing new and the fact that two guys are in love since their childhood didn´t make it more interesting. But still a lovely story to kill some time.
Rachel
I wanted to like this and thought the first part of it was adorable, but then the rest is just not believable in the slightest.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Really sweet and cute story about childhood friends finding each other after 15years.
But it ended far to soon!
Sadonna
Mar 08, 2012 Sadonna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, pdf
What a lovely little gem of a story! Took some twists and turns that I didn't expect and a sweet ending.
Monica Alexander
This was a sweet short story about finding someone you loved and lost.
Anke
3.5 * It was a cute, short read, although a bit too fairy-tale like for me.
Julie
Lovely story! would love to read more about Darren and Adam. Way too short!!
Amy
4.5 I thought this was way too short and fast but it's a really cute read .
Elspeth
Jun 17, 2012 Elspeth rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
This story was just a tease, nothing really was accomplished.
Amanda
IMO it needed to be longer, but it was a sweet story.
melek
Short sweet about promises and what ifs..
  • Foreshock
  • The Christmas Package
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Second Time Lucky (A Middleton Romance #2)
  • Love & Patience
  • Noticed Me Yet?
  • Cross Bones
  • Super Sock Man
  • By The River
  • What You Do To Me (Breathe, #1.5)
  • From the Inside Out
  • Saving Liam
Piper Vaughn wrote her first love story at eleven and never looked back. Since then, she’s known that writing in some form was exactly what she wanted to do. A reader at the core, Piper loves nothing more than getting lost in a great book—fantasy, young adult, romance, she loves them all (and has a two thousand book library to prove it!). She grew up in Chicago, in an ethnically diverse neighborho...more
More about Piper Vaughn...
One Small Thing (One Thing, #1) Wanting (Wanting, #1) Moonlight Becomes You (Lucky Moon, #1) The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2) One True Thing (One Thing, #2)