Start by marking “Best-Loved Poems” as Want to Read:
Best-Loved Poems

Best-Loved Poems

This highly accessible collection gathers together the best-loved gems of English language verse, from the deeply moving to the hilariously silly. The poems span the entire range of verse from high drama to stuff-and-nonsense and are presented in nine sections: Poems of Childhood and Youth; Poems of Love and Marriage; Poems of Life; Poems of Loss and Comfort; Poems of War ...more
Published December 5th 2002 by Little, Brown (first published May 24th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Best-Loved Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best-Loved Poems

Vanessa
Dec 30, 2014 Vanessa rated it liked it
This is a really pretty collection of poetry, with poets ranging from throughout the centuries, some well-known and some I'd never heard of. This collection is separated into nine themed sections: Of Childhood and Youth, Of Love and Marriage, Of Life, Of Loss and Comfort, Of War and Peace, To Read Aloud, To Read Quietly, Of Animals and Nature, and Of Magic and Mystery.

I'm not a massive poetry reader, mainly because I am so used to thinking of poetry in terms of analysis due to my English Litera
JD Estrada
Oct 23, 2014 JD Estrada rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection I took my sweet time to read. Never any rush, never any desperate need to finish the collection, just the desire to pick up the book for a quick read here, and a little read there. It was a book that often shared some interesting poems, some classics to revisit, and plenty of new material for me to take note of the poets who so enticed me with but a few words on a page. Some of the pieces in this collection are honestly timeless. Others have aged well. And some do actually ...more
Natalie
Jun 07, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book is beautiful, not only in its choice of poems but in it's presentation. I was bought a copy of this book many years ago as a gift and 'Best Loved Poems' does make a wonderful gift. The illustrations and layout of pages are extremely appealing. I can look through this book for hours, taking in both the drawings and motifs aswell as the stories the words create, all parts calling to the artist in me. Even the page borders are pretty! Delightful.
Charlotte Stevenson
Mar 18, 2013 Charlotte Stevenson rated it it was ok
This collection of poetry was quite good and I recognised some of my favourites such as the Jabberwocky, remember and daffodils. The best of the best are included in this book and split in to several different small categories/chapters. A quick and fun read, with lots of different emotions.
Stormclouds
May 13, 2009 Stormclouds rated it it was amazing
I love the selection of poems and the illustrations are beautiful.
Lynn
Mar 09, 2017 Lynn rated it really liked it
Such an enjoyable collection of poems. I've finished the book, but will continue to browse through it from time to time. So many poems deserve to be savoured over and over again ... they really never lose their taste, or their enjoyment. Being classified by subject means the ability to easily wander through particular themes, as fancy dictates.
April
Aug 26, 2013 April rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
With pages adorned with adorable illustrations and the inclusion of a few classics in neatly categories, The Book of Best-Loved Poems makes for a charming read, but I couldn’t help but wish there’d been a few more better suited poems in there. I did enjoy the beautiful pages and discovered a couple new gems but I was disappointed with it as a whole. Still, I’ll keep it on my shelves to read sometime in future, I’m sure. A ‘nice’ read, but hardly blown away territory.

However, here are my few fa
Giki
Oct 31, 2016 Giki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
really nice poetry compilation. A good selection of poems, some very well known and some undiscovered gems. Well organised into themed chapters. The thing about a poetry compilation is that you take from it what you need at any particular point in time, someone else has selected the poems - you won't like them all, but they will sit there waiting for you when you do need them. The pages look beautiful with the decorative edging and small illustrations. The text is nicely spaced and easy to read. ...more
Pamela Scott
Jan 09, 2016 Pamela Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies, poetry
Best Loved Poems is a very enjoyable collection of poetry. Many of the poems within the collection are more traditional in format and subject including the work of William Blake, Robert Browning, Edna St Vincent Millay, A.E. Houseman and W.B Yeats. The title fits the collection well as these are poems many of us will have grown up with and heard recited by our parents or studied in school. Best Loved Poems is a gorgeous collection, fully illustrated and each page has gold edging. The collection ...more
Martin
Jan 15, 2016 Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Lovely collection of poems that encompass a wide range of styles, subjects and perspectives. The editor (Neil Philip) has also collated the poems very well into similar sections so that fun poems, sad poems, love poems etc. are grouped nicely together (each section still providing a good range of differing rhymes).
The poems in themselves I would give maybe 4 stars but with what gives the collection that added vibrancy and a rating of 5 stars are the the lovely illustrations by Isabelle Brent whi
Yadong Li
Oct 31, 2016 Yadong Li rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I came across this book in London, and bought it at half price of 5 pounds. It is a great collection of best known English poems, including many of my favorites. This collection of poems certainly well worth the time to read through, some of the poems are so beautiful that I was immediately enchanted upon the very first sight, such as the following by Whitman:

This is thy hour O Soul, thy free flight into the wordless,
Away from books, away from art, the day erased, the lesson
done,
Thee fully fort
Kendahl Ryan
Jan 09, 2013 Kendahl Ryan rated it liked it
"Joy is my name"
This is stating that the infant is so joyous that joy itself could be his/her name. I know some infants aren't always happy, but a majority were.
This phrase speaks for most infants in this world because as we know they cannot speak for themselves. This phrase itself could also represent a reason why people cherish and love babies. Nobody wants an angry upset baby. So people do the best they can to give joy to their baby, so their babies name is joy.
Laura Hannaway
May 03, 2016 Laura Hannaway rated it really liked it
A very good anthology. It offered poems from a range of authors and included many well known poems as well as quite a few that I'd never come across before. Not all the poetry was quite to my taste, but in such a general anthology I didn't expect it to be. I now know that DH Lawrence definitely isn't for me but whilst Wuthering Heights left me cold Emily Bronte's poems are lovely. The illustrations are very beautiful as well and enhance the poetry without overwhelming it.
Liz
May 21, 2009 Liz added it
'He wishes for the clothes of Heaven'. How can you read it and not be moved?!

A lovely book to dip in to.
Gillieporter
Apr 25, 2012 Gillieporter rated it really liked it
Great little book for bedtime reading - couple at a time and some old favourites in there!
Ayu
Jul 08, 2008 Ayu rated it liked it
Shelves: poems
tidak ada komentar, kecuali desain kover dan halaman dalamnya yang bagus :p
Stacey
Apr 19, 2015 Stacey rated it liked it
Some lovely poems included in this collection.
Mary
Dec 01, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations and some good choices.
Lisbeth Solberg
Aug 31, 2007 Lisbeth Solberg rated it really liked it
This collection has some terrific surprises, though lots of old standbys, too. It's not entirely what you would expect from the cover.
Annette Hart
Sep 24, 2009 Annette Hart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My sister gave me this and it is a lovely book to dip into, including lots of classics.
Kelly
Feb 24, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2016
There are some lovely poems in this book. There were a few of my favourites plus I discovered some new ones that I really liked.
The book is beautifully illustrated all the way through.
Tailsmo
Apr 14, 2014 Tailsmo rated it liked it
Beautifully illustrated and a pleasure to read.
Claudia
Apr 22, 2012 Claudia rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed several of these poems in this book :) this would be a book that i would frequently go back to when i need comforting.
Peter Metcalfe
Jul 03, 2015 Peter Metcalfe rated it it was amazing
A great collection to dip into the world of poetry..
Rhian Pritchard
Jan 09, 2015 Rhian Pritchard rated it really liked it
Shelves: wider-reading
Beautiful pictures and some of my favourite poems! A nice collection, but less useful for WR than I'd hoped it would be.
Linda
May 21, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Delightful and enjoyable, both the illustrations and the poems. Some of the poems are doggerel, but they are fun.
Maggie
Jun 28, 2009 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
absolutely delightful! i love this book and reread it at least once each year. first read: 2005. the child in me just goes happy when i pick up this book. yay.
Aidan Magill
Nov 02, 2015 Aidan Magill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Really nice selection of poems, with lots of old favourites.
Sandra
Mar 11, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated little treasure.
Caroline
Oct 22, 2016 Caroline rated it did not like it
It would appear that poetry is not for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Collected Poems of Oscar Wilde
  • Hole's Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
  • The Study Skills Handbook
  • The Book of Three (Charmed)
  • Breverton's Phantasmagoria: A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends
  • Selected Poems, 1923-1958
  • Delia Smith's Christmas: 130 Recipes for Christmas
  • Top 10 Barcelona (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Edgar Allan Poe: Selected Poems
  • Madness: a Memoir
  • Madness Explained: Psychosis and Human Nature
  • The Life of Mammals
  • Digital Photographer's Handbook
  • Come Close (Little Black Classics, #74)
Neil Philip is a writer, folklorist and poet. He is married to the artist Emma Bradford, and lives in the Cotswolds, England. Neil loves words, poetry, and the art of storytelling in all its forms. Among his many books are A Fine Anger, Victorian Village Life, The Cinderella Story, The Penguin Book of English Folktales, Mythology (with Philip Wilkinson), The Great Mystery, War and the Pity of War, ...more
More about Neil Philip...