Start by marking “Batgirl, Vol. 3: Death Wish” as Want to Read:
Batgirl, Vol. 3: Death Wish

Batgirl, Vol. 3: Death Wish (Batgirl, Volume I #3)

Can Batgirl, Cassandra Cain, a seventeen year old trained from childhood to be a lethal assassin, ever cast off her tainted past and take the place of former Batgirl, Barbara Gordon? Batgirl continues her training with Batman, but his young protege is starting to feel that she's on a very short leash indeed. Dealing with blackmail, bank robberies and burglary is one thing, ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batgirl, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batgirl, Vol. 3

Elizabeth Wallace
Oct 27, 2009 Elizabeth Wallace rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
One or two nice things here and there, but in the end a pretty disappointing read. The artwork has a lot of detail, but it's way too confusing, there's no order or balance, a lot of times I ended up staring at a page going "Wait, who's arm is that, what am I looking at, what just happened...?" ESPECIALLY in the fight scenes, which I started to skip over in frustration after a while. When that happens, it's not "detailed artwork," it's a mess.

And despite all the character development that was sup
Brian
Oct 21, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
For those who aren't super familiar with the Batgirl mythology, it might be surprising to know that this isn't the usual Barbara Gordon Batgirl. I hadn't read any of the stories featuring Cassandra Cain before this one though I had read about her history. As a character, her being slow to speak (having only recently learned verbal communication after being trained entirely in silence) is a unique character trait and does nicely set her apart.

Her showdown with Lady Shiva is very interesting, thou
Kathleen
Jan 31, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
Consider child abuse well beyond the norm: a girl is raised without speech to understand only motion, fighting, and violence. A girl is trained from the time she could stand to fight, to be an assassin. A girl whose father plays a lovely game of "two for flinching" with her, involving gunshot wounds. When she is eight years old, he tells her to kill. When she is eight years old, she obeys. She doesn't understand words, only body language, and she is made intimately familiar with death when she i ...more
Ariel Marie
Feb 01, 2013 Ariel Marie rated it it was amazing
Out of the other volumes I've read with Cass Cain, this has to be my favorite. It had a nice balance between vignettes and story. Cass is still in an early stage of her new life compared to later events that I've already read. It was nice to see her and Stephanie are friends at this point in time. One of my favorite parts was the quick look into her life with Stephanie as she kept saying "read it" over and over again. This is when it's revealed that Cass cannot read, and Stephanie offers to help ...more
Michael
Jul 09, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
2000's Batgirl is the best. There's no other way to split it. Kelley Puckett's view and writing if this character is amazing. I miss this character so much. She was Damian before Damian was around.

Don't get me started on the art. Damion Scott is a master. His style breath life into this story. The movements and fluid characters. There no static just life. He can draw like no other.

The story was great too. I remember bits of it when I read the single issues. Regrading it in two days was amazing
Gayle Francis Moffet
Sep 18, 2014 Gayle Francis Moffet rated it really liked it
The build on this story is so good. As many one-shots as there are from a basic story perspective, it all weaves together into this greater narrative of who Cassandra is and who she wants to be and the difficulty she and the rest of the Bats are having in getting there.

This volume finally lets her meet up with Robin (Time Drake) and Spoiler (Stephanie Brown), and their reactions to her are wonderful. They take a sort of opposite track to working with her and getting to know her, and it feels ver
Steve
Dec 13, 2012 Steve rated it liked it
Kelly Puckett finally writes a full arc story combined from all the issues rather than small stories compiled together. Lady Shiva is back for her fight to the death, and Batgirl is keeping this from Oracle and Batman.

The result is a poorly drawn fight scene that seems like it should be the most epic thing in the world but is drawn very messy.

The artwork by Damion Scott definitely holds back the story. If you want to see a good fight scene laid out, check out Ryan Ottley and Corey Walker for the
Sean
Jul 06, 2012 Sean rated it it was ok
Cassandra Cain was an interesting character when she first showed up in Batman: No Man’s Land. Her character had a ton of possibilities but as with most DC characters she was made too powerful. We witness that here as she finally has her showdown with Shiva. I do like the budding friendship with Spoiler as I think it works much better than with Barbara. The art is at times almost indecipherable. I understand that its stylized but during certain scenes its hard to tell what’s going on. Overall th ...more
Nick
Apr 22, 2016 Nick rated it it was ok
This is more like a 2.5 stars, it's just not good enough for the full three.

Unfortunately, these books don't stand the test of time. The story telling and the art are very dated. The story can be hard to follow at times, with how choppy it is, and the art is just awful so it makes everything even more confusing.

But I did like the cameos from Robin and Spoiler.

It's disappointing because I really want to get to know Cassandra better but these books are so below par.
Jordan
Nov 17, 2012 Jordan rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not a big fan of the art here. It's a bit too... chaotic, I guess? And the story with the man being executed was strange. I don't know if I just missed something, but I pretty much had no idea wth was going on there. She goes to all this trouble to break him out and then just puts him back? What? But, the rest was good, especially the part with Lady Shiva. She's always fun.
Amanda
May 31, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Part of my massive Barbara Gordon Re-read which I had a glorious amazing time with. The art in the early Batgirl stuff was very touch and go to me, which made me wince a while reading through it, but I definitely appreciated the beginning of Cass' story, and Bab's involvement in that with Cass and with/against Bruce.
Tyler
Dec 22, 2011 Tyler rated it really liked it
This was another solid entry in the Cassandra Cain Batgirl series. It wasn't amazing on the whole, but there were amazing moments. We really delve into who Cassandra is and why she is the way she is.
Jacquline
Nov 02, 2015 Jacquline rated it it was ok
Getting over the she's not Barbra, I don't see anything compelling about Cassie in this set. This one isn't as well written as the previous volume. It's weird how she's always referred to as Batgirl rarely is her name used. I find Cassie is portrayed extremely flat for a former child assassin.
Lisa
Oct 22, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I really liked this book. I knew of Cassandra Cain, but knew nothing really about her. This book didn't tell me everything I needed to know, but it made me want to read more. I found the artwork intriguing and enjoyed the tempo of the story. Hope to pick up more Cassandra Cain.
Contessa Wiggins
Jul 17, 2016 Contessa Wiggins rated it it was amazing
This Graphic novel tore at my heart strings when it came to Batgirl's relationship with her father. the plot was excellent and the art was beautiful
Virginia
Apr 29, 2010 Virginia rated it it was amazing
So the showdown with Shiva gave Batgirl a new lease on life...now what? I will be picking up the next volume ASAP.
Rob
I found the art difficult to follow at times, although I loved the idea of a mute superhero. Her costume was great, but overall I didn't find the story that compelling.
Victor Orozco
Apr 16, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it liked it
Short, sweet... but fierce. An apt description of these Batgirl stories as well as the character herself. The story goes by very quickly but its a very nice ride. C+
Hannah Givens
Feb 07, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
I really like the Cassandra Cain Batgirl, and I loved the art in this volume even though the blocky noir style isn't usually my jam. Beyond that, it's just sort of "Batgirl's daily grind" stuff.
Niall Philyaw
Niall Philyaw rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Bradley Hillis
Bradley Hillis rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2013
Romana
Romana rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Steven Togba
Steven Togba rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2016
Ben Shepard
Ben Shepard rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
kristy
kristy rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Nora
Nora rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Alexis
Alexis rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
David Chertovskoy
David Chertovskoy rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2016
  • Batgirl, Vol. 5: Kicking Assassins
  • Robin/Batgirl: Fresh Blood
  • Batgirl, Volume 3: The Lesson
  • Batgirl: Redemption
  • Nightwing/Huntress (Nightwing Vol. II, #2.5)
  • Power Girl, Vol. 2: Aliens and Apes
  • Batman: Li'l Gotham, Vol. 1
  • Teen Titans: Year One
  • Red Robin, Vol. 3: The Hit List
  • Batgirl: Year One
Kelley Puckett is a comic book writer. He is the creator of the character Cassandra Cain, the Batgirl who succeeded Barbara Gordon and who was succeeded herself by Stephanie Brown, as well as the second Green Arrow, Connor Hawke.
More about Kelley Puckett...

Batgirl, Volume I (9 books)
  • Batgirl, Vol. 1:  Silent Running