Start by marking “B” as Want to Read:
B

B

4.52  ·  Rating Details ·  2,446 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
In 2011, Sarah Kay performed "B" at the TED conference in Long Beach, California to standing ovations. Now the video of that performance has been forwarded to mothers and daughters (and fathers and sons) all over the world. Originally written in 2007, "B" is a thank you note, a love letter, a wish, a promise, a confession, and a secret. With beautiful illustrations by Soph ...more
Published November 29th 2011 by The Domino Project (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about B, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B

Jarkko Laine
Nov 19, 2012 Jarkko Laine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I'm not usually a big fan of poetry. I just don't get it. But when I heard Sarah Kay recite this poem (it was a video from the TED conference, which I found on Seth Godin's blog, I think), I immediately fell in love with the poem.

In book form, the poem does lose some of the punch, but it's still a brilliant work of art.
Stacey
Jan 07, 2012 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My sisters + girlfriends
Recommended to Stacey by: Amanda Peters
Ya know how sometimes you read something that strikes a cord in your soul and makes your heart feel like it could burst? Ya know how sometimes this something is so wonderful you have a physical reaction to it (as in, tears + goosebumps from head to toe)? Ya know how sometimes poetry is so powerful it takes your breath away? Ya know how sometimes words are beautiful in a way that to say they're beautiful is simply not enough?

Do you, do you know?

This book IS that something.
Eunice Moral
Nov 30, 2014 Eunice Moral rated it it was amazing
❤❤❤❤❤ ...more
Dec 31, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads, poetry
Amazon's Domino Project presents a small gift binding of Sarah Kay's "B," the poem she debuted at the TED conference. One can't help suspecting that the decision to publish was based more on the potential tie-in for Mother's Day sales than on the quality of the poem itself - Kay's verse, while serviceable, is hardly inspiring enough to warrant a stand-alone edition, no matter how many YouTube hits she has. (Try a mental comparison to Ginsberg's Howl, say, and see if you don't agree.) Perhaps exc ...more
Sara Alaee
Aug 19, 2014 Sara Alaee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ALL
Shelves: poetry
This is ABSOLUTELY one of the best poems I’ve ever read! So beautiful! So touching! So lovely! Sarah Kay has performed her poem at a TED talk in 2011. Here you can watch it: http://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_kay_if...
It’s just … unbelievably truly wonderful! Please don’t miss it. Please…!

“If I should have a daughter, instead of "Mom,"
she's gonna call me "Point B,"
because that way she knows
that no matter what happens,
at least she can always find her way to me.
And I'm going to paint solar system
Guttu
Jan 26, 2015 Guttu rated it it was amazing
“Because there's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it's sent away.”

I never felt like reading English poetry. Until recently, I was not even aware of the famous poets. But somehow, The interest generated. I saw the video of this poem on TED talks. I loved it and wanted to read it. Again and again. Love lies in simple things. A mother's love for her daughter has been beautifully explained.

I wish there was more....
Asma
Dec 18, 2016 Asma rated it liked it
A beautiful poem that speaks about the divine connection between a mother and her daughter. How mothers should raise their daughters to be loving, independent, fierce and strong. How mothers should build their daughters to raise higher than society's standards and primitive limitations. How mothers should simply be mothers.
Doms Candels

that's about it. ⋆
Shamma
Oct 04, 2015 Shamma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
It was like a dream! I loved it so much.
If only it was longer.
Gieliza
Jan 26, 2015 Gieliza rated it really liked it
Such a touching poem. Definitely worth a read.
Arielle Walker
Feb 18, 2013 Arielle Walker rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, stand-alone
short and sweet
Asma Khoory
Mar 23, 2017 Asma Khoory rated it it was amazing
I'm keeping this book for my future daughter.
Robert Zimmermann
I first heard this poem performed quite awhile ago. I was just starting to listen to spoken word poetry through the IndieFeed: Performance Poetry podcast, and from that I was searching youtube for various poets and videos. I came across Sarah Kay and fell in love with what I heard.

The performance I listened to was from the TED conference, referenced in the description. It became one of my favorite poems to listen to. This is why I was happy to find out that the poem was available in print. I had
Cindy Hudson
Mar 12, 2012 Cindy Hudson rated it it was amazing
Sarah Kay has been a performing poet since she was 14-years-old. At 22, she is now a slam poet who wrote a powerful note of love for an unborn daughter.

First performed at TED (Technology, Entertainment, and Design), “B” opens with the lines, “If I should have a daughter, instead of mom, she’s going to call me Point B. Because that way she knows that no matter what happens at least she can always find her way to me.”

In her poem, Kay tells her daughter she will always be there to help with the hea
شذى
Mar 14, 2015 شذى rated it it was amazing
An incredibly heartfelt poem.
Listening to and watching the writer herself in a TED spoken word performance made it even more powerful.
Kels
"Spoken word poetry is the art of performance poetry. I tell people that it involves creating poetry that just doesn't want to sit on paper. That something about it demands to be heard outloud or witnessed in person." -Sarah Kay

I remember watching Sarah Kay perform "B" at a TED conference and it was so powerfully explosive, I think I felt something in the atmosphere shift and ignite. So when I saw that she published a hardcover of her spoken word piece, well, how could I not get this and read it
Pragyan Pradhan
Feb 13, 2015 Pragyan Pradhan rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to spoken word poetry on 21 November, 2014. After that I started searching for performances and came across this. This is the poem, which introduced me to Sarah Kay's work and her amazing strong, soothing voice, which has this beautiful essence of laughter.

This is a poem, which still stays with me, soothes me, swells my heart and makes me appreciate things as they are. Sarah Kay has this voice of reasoning and positivity, that makes me believe in optimism. And this is the work
Glire
Nov 17, 2012 Glire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that I'm in the minority here, but I truly prefer the book form of the poem than the performance; I like the words of Sarah Kay, but not the way she says them. Which is an irony because this is supposed to be an "spoken word poem". Either way, B is beautiful and (like every great poem) timeless ode to motherhood.

Can you adopt me, Sarah Kay?
Anne
Aug 18, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Love love love this!
BookishDubai
Beautiful. just beautiful.
Matthew
Before I discovered Spoken Word Poetry, I never cared for poetry because at the time anything that rhyme was pure garbage and I remember in school how we had to read and interpret poems and it was utter bullsh*!@t.

Then when I discover that I needed to find other forms of art to entertain and inspire me, I encountered Sarah Kay's TED talk and was purely spellbound by her verses, her timing, and the message she wanted to capture to her audience. After I saw that beautiful video, I immediately devo
Noura
Nov 16, 2014 Noura rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, short-stories
"If I should have a daughter, instead of "Mom," she's going to call me "Point B," because that way she knows that no matter what happens, at least she can always find her way to me."

" I know that trick; I've done it a million times. You're just smelling for smoke so you can follow the trail back to a burning house, so you can find the boy who lost everything in the fire to see if you can save him. Or else find the boy who lit the fire in the first place, to see if you can change him. But I know
Von B.
Jun 28, 2015 Von B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“You're just smelling for smoke
so you can follow the trail
back to a burning house,
so you can find the boy
who lost everything in the fire
to see if you can save him.

Or else--

find the boy
who lit the fire
in the first place,
to see if you
can change him.”

I am never a fan of poetry. I just can't stand it or I

just don't understand the gist of overusing figures of

speech, trying to figure out what the auther really

meant, do they intend the readers to know what they

really want the readers to know or i
Brandy Shark
Jan 07, 2012 Brandy Shark rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I've tried to watch any video of Sarah Kay's performances that I can get my hands on. All of her poems are real, and her voice is just spectacular. Watching her perform truly is a treat, even if it's just over the internet.

Now let me say that this is a wonderful poem, and I love the artwork that went along with it. You can absolutely sit and read it in one sitting, and I would suggest you do so because starting, and then picking it back up later will interrupt the flow.

But if you're planning on
Will
Oct 30, 2012 Will rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
The piece is a spoken word piece, but published in written form with illustrations as well. Short, charming, moving. Numerous videos are available online of the author performing the work, such as the one that probably got her most of the attention, at a TED talk.

I both listened to the performance and read the written version, and while the illustrations are indeed charming, in written form the piece pales to it's performance, which is clearly polished and refined through frequent recitation. T
Israa Laidi
Mar 12, 2016 Israa Laidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-شعر
Oh heavens !

Whenever I read Sarah kay's Poetry I remember those great words that Ms kitting said to his students in "dead poets society" film. He said : "We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we're members of the human race, and the human race is filled with passion. Medecine, law, engineering, business, these are all important to sustain life. Yet POETRY, BEAUTY, LOVE, these are what we stay alive for."
I first knew Sarah in one of Tedx's speeches wh
Anjanette Jan
Dec 07, 2012 Anjanette Jan rated it it was amazing
I honestly haven't read it but heard it in a way (not until today!! got a copy!! Yay). This is one of those simple reads that will totally give you pleasure. It's simple yet delicate and is straight to the point. It hits you fair and square.You read it, listen to it and you learn from it . It's one of those realities that gives you enough understanding because every word and phrase it speaks tells a whole lot of truth.

" when you step out of the phone booth and try to fly, and the very people yo
Aug 26, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely beautiful, heartfelt poem that makes my words feel clumsy and inaccurate. I love Sarah's work. I've watched all her performances on youtube, which are amazing, and I wish I could see her perform live. At first I thought the book could never contain the soul she puts into her spoken word poetry, and without her vivid presence, it might just fall flat, but the book is such an endearing little thing. The illustrations are adorable and her words lead you on an adventure through ...more
Paula
Dec 18, 2016 Paula rated it liked it
A poem well articulated and synchronized with the layer of the modern society which has been taught to live most of the time somewhere in a virtual world completely detached from the ground. She is considered by many to be a talent.I tried really hard to understand why,I looked from multiple angles to see specks of a real world coming out from the poem , something that resembles the meaning of laughter, joy, pain, sweat, desire, sorrow , cry or deep thought but unfortunately I could not find any ...more
Jaymee
Jan 01, 2015 Jaymee rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook
I understand people gushing over these kinds of work, but whatever happened to the likes of Anne Carson, Evelyn Lau, Mary Oliver? Even Roland Barthes' (a supposed theorist) book entitled Mourning Diary would be far more worthy to be called poetry/prose poem. It might be unfair to compare this work to theirs, but really. This is something that just panders and wants to capitalize on the Lang Leav genre of poetry.
Poetry: Sarah Kay 1 7 Feb 21, 2013 12:37PM
  • Dispatch from the Future: Poems
  • Alight
  • Slow Lightning
  • As Often As Miracles
Sarah Kay is an American poet. Known for her spoken word poetry, Kay is the founder and co-director of Project V.O.I.C.E., a group dedicated to using spoken word as an inspirational tool.

Sarah Kay, a graduate of Brown University, was born in New York to a Japanese American mother and a Jewish American father. She began performing poetry at the Bowery Poetry Club in the East Village at the age of 1
More about Sarah Kay...

“Because no matter how wide you stretch your fingers, your hands will always be too small to catch all the pain you want to heal. Believe me, I've tried.” 72 likes
“You're just smelling for smoke
so you can follow the trail
back to a burning house,
so you can find the boy
who lost everything in the fire
to see if you can save him.

Or else--