Blank-133x176
A Mais Amada

Jacquelyn Mitchard

A Mais Amada

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,664 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Arley Mowbray is a drop-dead gorgeous 14-year-old, who, with her long, muscular frame and mature, collected manner could easily pass for 18. And pass she does. On a dare from her outspoken best friend, Elena Gutierrez, Arley writes to convict Dillon LeGrande in prison and convinces him she's a college student (though she hasn't made it out of junior high). Therein begins a...more
380 pages
Published 2000 by Editorial Presença (first published January 1st 1198)

Maryann
Why did the author write a book about a neglected 14 year old who writes to a man in prison, falls in love with him, marries him and has his baby? As the mom of a 14 year old, I found Arley to be most unbelievable. I know all kids are different, but I just can't imagine her as a real person...

And Annie? Why was she compelled to go out on a limb for Arley? I never bought it, their friendship never really developed. I was reading and all of a sudden 160 pages into the book I'm supposed to believe...more
Colleen Vincent
A story of a young girl Arley whose childhood history of neglect by her mother leads her to pursue a toxic relationship with an adult prison inmate, Dillon Legrande. She gets married to him at 14 years old. Arley enlists the legal aid of Annie Singer to get her and Dillon a conjugal visit after their wedding. On their honeymoon, during which she has her first sexual experience in a prison trailer, she becomes pregnant.

When Arley's mother kicks her out because of the pregnancy Annie comes to her...more
Jen
This book read very much like a YA novel...I fell in love with Arley and loved her mature-yet-still-14 view of the world and her place in it. I thought she was very well-written, and I found her very believable. She wasn't looking for love, but she stumbled upon it and was too young and un-guided to know what to do with it. Dillon and Arley were both just desperately reaching for happiness, and completely blinded to the wrongness of the whole situation.
Now, Annie: I never saw her as the put-toge...more
Paige Flotkoetter
Pretty interesting story, but a little hard to get into.
Rosabelle Purnama
I gave this book 3.5 stars.. it's unfortunate that Goodreads doesn't have the half star system. They probably should have for books that are in between stars.

I had no expectation reading this book. I've seen The Deeper End of the Ocean and it was good, but there are mixed reviews for this title from Mitchard.

I thought the story is interesting, about a 14 year old girl who fall in love with a prison inmate and ended up being married to him. It's interesting to read about the power of love and h...more
Barbara Cadwell
Only on page 121 after 13 years, the shiny black & gold cover and, especially, the title of Jacquelyn Mitchard’s novel still speaks to me. So to keep the love idea alive, sometimes I’ll set ‘The Most Wanted’ on my nightstand, or beside my reading chair.
Distilled down to its purest essence, the following excerpt from my nonfiction book, ‘The Universal Casting’ studio exemplifies the above. No rehearsals, the story features a cast of real people running down the dream. From Casting to Theatri...more
Jacki
The thing I liked most about this book is how it was written like the narrators were looking back on that time in their lives, with some perspective now, and just telling what happened. It made it a little more suspenseful that they gave clues- just little tidbits- of what happened in the end, but nothing big, so you were left guessing.

I really loved both narrators and wanted the best for them all along. It seemed to me like they really grew and learned lessons over the course of this book and I...more
Kathy
The main characters are Arley a 14 year old girl from a very unloving home situation. She is the youngest of 3 children of a single mother who does not have the ability to show her childred any love. She provides them with everything they need physically, but not emotionally. Annie is a public defender with Women and Children First in Texas.
Annie and Arley meet after Arley marries a prisoner in a Texas jail and is denied a conjugal visit after their wedding. This sounds like a weird story line,...more
Marie
I wasn't sure when I first started reading the first couple chapters if I was going to stick with it. It didn't grab me at first. I was expecting the pull right away just as I did with Mitchard's Cage of Stars. However, as I read deeper into the book, I enjoyed it more. I was slightly disappointed that the author didn't explore Annie more--even though that character got just as much text time as the main character Arley did. I felt that Annie could have been explored more and when she was it was...more
Kaethe
I quite liked The Deep End of the Ocean, and so was eager to try Mitchard's next book, but this way didn't make much of an impression.
♥ Marlene♥
On Sunday, January 09, 2005 I wrote:

Hi kayote. I started to feel guilty because this book is on my TBR shelf since October, so more then 3 months But I am reading it now. The first chapter did not really get my interest so every time I picked up another book but this time i decided to read a bit more, and it was worth it.
I am at page 80 now and I enjoy the read so far.will update this journal while reading.take care my friend.

Update January 12 2005 Finished this book yesterday.I liked it a lot b...more
Teeliles
By far, Jacqueline Mitchard's best book -- even more so than Deep End of the Ocean, which I enjoyed very much. Without giving away any spoilers, this novel, like most of Mitchard's work, is morally ambiguous. Are you enchanted with Arley, the girl who falls in love with, wants to marry, and have conjugal relations with her prison inmate lover? Or do you identify with her lawyer, who counsels her against her wishes but represents her in court for her spousal rights anyway? Or with Dillon, the pri...more
Joy Rikli
This is my favorite book of all time. If I were sent to a deserted island, this is what I would take! Having been in a relationship with someone seemingly opposite of myself, I identified very strongly with Arley. While society does not agree with her choices, she has remained resolute, if a bit naive. I also identified with Anne, the so-called voice of experience who ends up learning from Arley. Mitchard excels at writing strong female characters and this novel does not disappoint. I try to re-...more
Denise
This book was a good read, I thought it was easy to read and kept my attention. There were several themes that were carried throughout, all dealing with love. The love between mother and child, the love between women, the love between man and woman. The writer did not give the characters as much depth as they could have had, and the story line sometimes seemed a little implausible but I wanted to read on and find out what happened to all of them. I read this book for a fun read, expecting nothin...more
Mia Beasley
so far i cant seem to get into this book. It's a bit boring
Laurie
Jacqueline Mitchard is a skillful storyteller, a bit like a more accessible Joyce Carol Oates. Here she takes a story about a 14-year old girl who falls in love with a thirty-something convict, writes to him in jail, and has his baby.
Her story is intertwined with that of a lawyer who is her advocate. It's a book to read all in one sitting, perhaps thinking about the many kinds of abuse and the story of Gary Gilmore as (better) told by Norman Mailer.
I read this before I should have. I read at a pretty high level when I was still very young, so I was allowed to read higher level books. I remember being absolutely horrified at the description of how sex felt for the first time, and it worried me for a long time. It was something like being "unpeeled" and hurting a lot. That was about the only thing I retained from the book. Oh, and the horror of a young girl marrying a convict she didn't know very well.
Helmisade
An easy-to-read story that links the lives of two very different women (one a teenager really). The story was well-written and the main focus was on what was happening inside these women, how they came to undestand new things and make certain decisions.
The book has a quiet sort of tone, which in this case works really well. What I mean, that even in the middle of action the thoughts of the characters play the main roles, not the action in itself.
Serena
Holly
I found this a surprisingly good read. I could relate to the two main characters: a teen girl from a chaotic family and the 30 something lawyer who is trying to help her. Both women are stuggling to find their way in the world, with life and love. Their relationship benefits both of them and together they grow and heal. It is full of drama, heartbreak and miracles. I think it was a very underrated book.
Reca
This book has been one I picked up and put back many times before actually reading it. It ended up being told from the points of view of Arley, a 14 year old who wrote a man in prison on a dare and ended up being married to the man, and Annie, the lawyer who helps Arley in the legal battles that ensue. This was a disturbing plot, but both Arley and Annie were very likable and showed growth throughout.
Danielle
Wow! I LOVED this book! It's by the author of The Deep End of the Ocean, which was made into a movie. She surpassed herself with this one. It's the story of 2 people, 1 a 15 year old girl, the other, a successful woman of 40, who becomes not only her lawyer, but her family. Arley and Annie are 2 amazing characters that will stay with me for a long time. MUST READ!
Julie
to stay within the thematic boundaries of overcoming dysfunction, harping on the nitty-gritty details of abuse. However, The Most Wanted boldly strides away from this and examines the many dimensions of motherhood, realistically depicting the ties that bind women, while supporting beyond debate that, yes, good girls do fall for bad boys. --Rebekah Warren (less)
Jen
Something about this book has stuck with me for a long time. Most stories like this one would kind of fade over time, but I remember almost everything about this, because it was so surprising, and if not surprising, it just felt right and real, like it was happening somewhere out there in the world as I read it one day.
Barbara
The book is written in two different voices, that of a female attorney and that of her client, a teenager pregnant by her jailed murderer husband. Both voices are compelling and I couldn't put it down, had to see what would happen next. Beautiful, striking use of language, shocking plot, and very real characters.
Kiersten
Umm...Don't read this book. (Well you can read it if you want. I just wish someone had said that to me before I did.) I liked the main character and exploring her thoughts, but I thought the plot was extremely implausible at times and Mitchard's descriptions more graphic than was necessary at others.
Jessi
This is why Goodreads needs half stars. This book is not quite a four star but is better then a three. I really liked it it was well written the first chapter did not grab me so I did not give it my full attention(a chapter every few days) once I did ,I did not want to put it down.
Barbara
Told in two voices, that of a young girl in love with a convict and her lawyer, the story weaves adolescent longing and poetry together with middle-aged love choices. The two main characters are well drawn but some of the others are flat and don't come alive.
Eliana
You shouldn't read an early novel by an author AFTER you have read their later stuff. It is bound to be disappointing. This book was fine but needed editing and to be less cheesy. Apparently J. Mitchard has improved her writing skills over the course of her career.
Book Club Questions 1 2 Mar 16, 2013 12:59PM
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Every Day is Mother's Day
  • Father Melancholy's Daughter
  • Ride a Dark Horse
Jacquelyn Mitchard’s first novel, The Deep End of the Ocean, was named by USA Today as one of the ten most influential books of the past 25 years – second only to the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (but second by a long shot, it must be said.)

The Deep End of the Ocean was chosen as the first novel in the book club made famous by the TV host Oprah Winfrey, and transformed into a feature film p...more
More about Jacquelyn Mitchard...
The Deep End of the Ocean (Cappadora Family, #1) Cage of Stars A Theory of Relativity The Breakdown Lane Still Summer

“I loved the terrier quality Stuart had. He thought he was such a tough guy.” 2 likes