Start by marking “Mr Underbed” as Want to Read:
Mr Underbed

Mr Underbed

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
An irresistible bedtime tale, reissued with all-new illustrations, and now in paperback

Jim wonders what to dowhenashaggy blue head popsup from underhis bed and complains about having to sleep on a hard floor.He kindly allowsthe monsterinto the bed, but he was not prepared forthe monster's snoring. As heinvestigates other places in his room to sleep, he finds each spot is h
Published June 1st 2012 by Andersen Press (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Mr Underbed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr Underbed

DaydreamBeliever
Apr 30, 2016 DaydreamBeliever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sehr lustig ! ...more
Marilyn
Jan 04, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Todays book is the perfect choice for bedtime, especially for kids who have trouble coping with the dark and especially with the idea that perhaps there are alien monsters lurking about under the bed. The illustrations are truly amazing and the monsters depicted are polite, friendly and really quite adorable. The illustrations drive the text and give a great sense of calm and peace as the monsters smile, interact with Jim and curl up in his bed for the night. Just as he is about to doze off he h ...more
Daniel Smith
Oct 29, 2015 Daniel Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ks1

When Jim kindly allows Mr Underbed to sleep in his bed, he is totally unprepared for all the other unexpected visitors who want to share it too!

This story is a good example of an 'end of the day' book to read to young children as children will enjoy reading on to find out what other characters are going to pop up, this could lead to children predicting what is going to happen next.

For the above reason, I enjoyed reading this story as I too was unprepared for what new characters will emerge and h
Suzy Platt
Jan 28, 2015 Suzy Platt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mya
My 3 year old daughter loved this book and all the characters in it. I bought it for her as she says every bedtime that certain noises scare her and I thought it might help her. She loved it so much that she now wants all the characters to jump in her bed for a big cuddle! Success!
Fran
Nov 17, 2015 Fran rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, library
It says on the back that the copy I read is 'completely updated and re-illustrated'. It'd be interesting to compare it with the original version.
Shanshad Whelan
Cute, but without a real cohesive story arc. I'm left wondering what our little boy is going to do with all these critters wanting to use the bed instead of their usual haunts. I thought he might opt for under the bed himself and find it comfy, but that isn't what happened and the critters don't seem to notice that the boy is sleeping on the hard cold floor. The illustrations are lively, but the story and writing just doesn't add up to a satisfying story!
R
May 15, 2011 R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-book
Our least favorite of our Riddell books the redone illustrations are great but the story isn't as good.
Maitha
Sep 01, 2012 Maitha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
The kids love this story so much and it is a keeper. Reading it again and again is never a bore.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This one fell a bit flat for me. I have seen others that work more for this concept.
Husnah Naim
Mar 04, 2012 Husnah Naim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is ideal for bedtime reading. I really like the monsters. They are adorable!
Pam
May 07, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Cute. Didn't explain whether they were real or not. Loved the illustrations.
Bernadette
Awesome illustrations in this updated edition!
Della
Oct 10, 2012 Della rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I classic from years ago, love it.
LoriAnn Kocialski
I LOVE THIS BOOK!
PWRL
Apr 20, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
O
Joshua Ezekiel
Joshua Ezekiel rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
HB
HB added it
May 07, 2016
Ute Winne
Ute Winne rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Feb 13, 2016
JaD31n3
JaD31n3 marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Ranim Ayman
Ranim Ayman marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jayne Pryor
Jayne Pryor marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Broche
Broche rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Squishy
Squishy marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally
More about Chris Riddell...