Writing Science: How to Write Papers That Get Cited and Proposals That Get Funded

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
'Writing Science' is a guide to succeeding in modern science. It equips science students, scientists, and professionals across a wide range of scientific and technical fields with the tools needed to communicate effectively.
Published November 29th 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Science

Tom
Overall a great book and also in line mostly with my advisor's thinking on the matter. I learned a lot and clarified a lot in my thinking. I'll focus here on some concerns, but overall just make sure to read this book if you need to write science.

Some of the acronyms were hard to keep 100% in mind throughout the book. Also, sometimes my lack of familiarity with particular fields did get in the way. But not too much.

Leaving out the issue of the dynamics of the abstract is a bit odd, I think, sinc...more
Anarmaa
This is not a fiction book you read before you go to bed. It is one of the "boring" science related books; probably more aimed towards people who just started their career in science as PhD students. However, this book impressed me by its clear messages and very engaging writing style. If you are scientist you don't hear everyday or even at all that science writing is "STORY TELLING". This main message clearly stuck in my head. Author does not just plainly said so, he eloquently "told" his "stor...more
Amanda Nelson
I appreciated this book much more than I thought I would. It not only made me feel better about my more common writing mistakes by noting that I am not alone, it gave me methods to fix them. I knew I had issues with "the big picture" and "telling the story." I had been told as much by past advisors, but it wasn't until this book that I understood what that really meant or how to deal with it. I have already recommended this book to both my advisors and several fellow students, which is probably...more
Elizabeth
May 17, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
The source of the "Message Box", an integral part of Prof. Tom Baldwin's presentation "Communication training for graduate students and postdocts", as part of "From the lab to the kitchen table – communicating science to a lay audience", sponsored by the ASBMB Public Outreach Committee at Experimental Biology 2013.
Joel
Focuses on the big picture and how to tell a story with your scientific writing. Convincingly makes the case that citable papers and fundable proposals tell a good story. Lots of examples of bad and good writing and how to turn bad into good.
Xianglong Yu
Elegant book, love it, and brought one.
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Miguel Cruz
Miguel Cruz is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Tricia Hall
Tricia Hall marked it as to-read
Daniel Williams
Daniel Williams marked it as to-read
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Danica
Danica marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
JP
JP is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
A Durkin
A Durkin marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Mate Beštek
Mate Beštek is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Shikhar Vyas
Shikhar Vyas is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
Xin Zhao
Xin Zhao is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Colin Bosma
Colin Bosma is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014