Start by marking “Talking Back to Facebook: The Common Sense Guide to Raising Kids in the Digital Age” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A smart, urgently needed book that helps parents and their kids navigate today’s online landscape—from the founder and CEO of the nation’s leading authority on kids and the media.

Now, more than ever, parents need help in navigating their kids’ online, media-saturated lives. Jim Steyer, founder and CEO of Common Sense Media, the nation’s leading kidsand- media organization,
Published May 8th 2012 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Talking Back to Facebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking Back to Facebook

The Game Is Playing Your Kid by Joe DilleyEasy Guide to Baby Sign Language by J.R. CagleHow to Get Your Children to Clean Their Rooms Using Rubric Rules by Katie ElyCliffsNotes Parents' Guide to Paying for College and Repaying... by Reyna GobelFailure to Connect by Jane M. Healy
Parenting in the Digital Age
12th out of 15 books — 4 voters
The Ultimate Guide to Green Parenting by Zion LightsThe Boy Who Played with Fusion by Tom ClynesCliffsNotes Parents' Guide to Paying for College and Repaying... by Reyna GobelThe Guide to Creating Unique and Unusual Baby names by Jeff EdisEasy Guide to Baby Sign Language by J.R. Cagle
Modern Parenting Strategies
11th out of 16 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Πόσοι από εσάς, είστε γονείς; Πόσοι ανησυχείτε για το μέλλον των παιδιών σας; Πόσοι τρέμετε σκεπτόμενοι τι είδους επιρροή μπορεί να ασκεί πάνω τους το Facebook αλλά και το διαδίκτυο γενικότερα; Όντας μητέρα κι εγώ η ίδια, κι άσχετα από το αν έχω φτάσει ακόμα στο σημείο να έχω τέτοιες ανησυχίες ή όχι, οφείλω να ομολογήσω πως σας καταλαβαίνω. Αυτό όμως που δεν καταλαβαίνω και που σαφέστατα, δεν μπορώ να δικαιολογήσω, είναι η τάση προς την καταστροφολογία ή τις ακραίες αποφάσεις τύπου, "δεν επιτρέπ ...more
Marcia
Jul 06, 2013 Marcia rated it liked it
Shelves: technology, education
My staff summer reading choice. I am a big fan of Commonsense Media and use their digital citizenship curriculum with my 2-6th graders.
Being familiar with their philosophy, this book held no new information, only solid, helpful reminders. I love that they don't demonized the Internet. I also appreciate their model of steering kids away from advertising. I think the most useful part of the book is the discussion on privacy, and what that has come to mean, as well as what infringements we allow,
Courtney Huskisson
Jan 20, 2015 Courtney Huskisson rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Quotes:

“Millions of people...are increasingly connecting to other people only via text messages. This means that they don’t have to look people in the eye or even hear their voices over the telephone. It may seem more efficient, but there also seems to be a connection between the frequent use of technology and the tendency of people to be less intimate and emotional in their human interactions.” (22)

[quoted from Jonathan Franzen]
“Our lives look a lot more interesting when they’re filtered thro
Simay Yildiz
Nov 12, 2014 Simay Yildiz rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Türkçesi Zimlciious'ta.
Originally published on CommunityBookStop.

I remember when Jurassic Park hit theaters in Turkey, I begged my mom and aunt to take me and my sister to see it. All my friends at school had seen it, which then meant I had to had to! see it as well. After they saw what it was all about, mom and aunt referred the situation to my father. He went and saw it with his friends, then decided to not to take us; his reasoning was that "everyone looked very scared when they were getting
Gloria Denoon
Feb 27, 2014 Gloria Denoon rated it really liked it
Steyer has presented a hope for us – somewhat desperate parents struggling in dealing with digital native children in their usage of information technology and communication.

The basic theme of the book is excellent: how to take back control from information technology and highly networked web world so that we can protect our children and their privacy in this increasingly volatile and complicated digital age. The book provides practical safety tips for parents in guiding children of different a
Julie
Aug 24, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I got through this pretty quickly--it's not a long book and you can skim the first part without missing out on anything. The first part was a little dry--goes into the history of digital media a little & the various challenges, such as diminishing privacy, we have today. Common Sense Media is mentioned frequently (the author is the founder) so there's a drinking game for you. Mostly I left the first part feeling pretty hopeless about my kids' future in this digital world; he tries to point o ...more
Jacqui
Nov 25, 2012 Jacqui rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
James Steyer, acclaimed founder of Common Sense Media, has written often in articles and websites on the affect that social networks are having on our children. In his latest book, "Talking Back to Facebook" (Scribner 2012), Steyer discusses worries on every parent's mind about the social media engulfing our children.

With so much of education and play time revolving around digital devices like iPads, computers, Wii, apps, and more, parents have a right to be concerned and should question whether
Dan
Nov 08, 2013 Dan rated it it was ok
Is it just me? I'm pretty certain about the limits I want around digital technology and screen time; I'm just looking for strategies to help implement them in the face of overwhelming societal pressure to the contrary. The vast majority of this book seemed geared towards affirming the dangers of too much screen time and recommending limits, and neglected to dive into the sticky subject of: "Ok, but how?"

One thing I'm actually considering, though, is using the book as a jumping-off point with my
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Did you know your child's digital footprint starts with the first post you make of them on Facebook? What do you do with a teen that wants to sleep with their cell phone? This book is from the founder of a really great website called Common Sense Media. There is some theory in here that is followed up by really practical discussion and ideas of how to deal with technology and your child. I highly recommend this book, especially if you feel like you don't have a good understanding of current tech ...more
Jessie
Jun 10, 2015 Jessie rated it it was amazing
This was a great read for parenting and helping our kids navigate through the digital world in which they exist. It gives suggestions for specific age groups. I definitly want to purchase this book and refer back to it from time to time. My overall feelings can be expressed by this... Be careful what "digital footprints" you make because the "mouse droppings" cannot be cleaned up.

I would recommend this book to every parent. It really opened my eyes to this new digital age and how necessary it is
Levi
Apr 09, 2014 Levi rated it really liked it
Overall I think this is helpful. He puts in laymans terms all of the things parents need to consider regarding digital natives. I was hoping for something more research heavy. He often refers to research, but this is written for parents and not necessarily for educators. The first half sets up the problem that parents and digital natives face moving forward, but he second half of the book is the most helpful. He breaks down age restrictions for students gives helpful tips for managing digital me ...more
Alison Beswick
Apr 25, 2014 Alison Beswick rated it it was amazing
Compulsory reading ...
Kathleen Brunnett
Jul 09, 2012 Kathleen Brunnett rated it liked it
The author of this book is the founder of Common Sense Media which rates movies, tv, video games, etc for age appropriateness and content. While some of the background information on internet privacy policies (or lack there of) was a bit much to navigate, it was an interesting read just the same. If anything, I was able include new information in a discussion with my son about safe internet use, privacy issues and the like.
Sara
May 18, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
This book is very timely. In fact, it is so timely that it will doubtless be horribly out-of-date in just a few years, referring to games and TV shows and websites that children are no longer interested in. But for today, this is an important book to read for any parent who isn't sure how to handle their children's access to the digital world. Common-sense practical advise is provided, broken down by age.
Sandra Pedicini
Sep 30, 2013 Sandra Pedicini rated it liked it
You will find yourself hating Facebook at some points in this book for how much it has taken over the lives of ourselves and our kids. It does make you think about the Internet in a different, and more cynical and cautious way. At the end of the book there are a lot of good tips, separated by age, on helping your kids get the most out of the Internet without allow it to take over their lives.
Jessica
Jul 21, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This is a quick, very good read that should enlighten parents on the dangers of the online world. A previous reviewer thought that most parents knew this stuff already, but I disagree. I think most folks, myself included, are pretty transparent online. Worse yet, our children may be following in our footsteps. This book will make a parents more proactive with their children's online habits.
Natalee
Jun 19, 2013 Natalee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonficition
This is an important book for parents and teachers to read. We are living in a digital age where the kids are natives, but not always literate, and the adults are tourists. James Steyer provides helpful and realistic strategies for parents to teach their kids how to have a healthy, balanced relationship with the technology in their lives.
Polly
Dec 21, 2013 Polly rated it liked it
About how young people are affected by digital media in terms of their relationships, attention/addiction issues, and privacy issues...quick read and pretty scary. Worth checking out if you can get past the promotion of the author's foundation, repetition, and super serious tone.
Matt Heavner
Dec 13, 2013 Matt Heavner rated it liked it
Tough issue -- raising kids in the digital age explosion. This book is thought provoking and has good discussion, but there are no easy answers! The second half of the book has age specific ~6 page Q/A and suggestions -- from 2 years old to ~13 in two year increments.
Allison
Sep 04, 2012 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I found the first half-mostly about the potential dangers of media-to be awfully redundant. The tips in the second part were practical, but I think you could get the same information from the author's website, commonsense.org, without taking the time to check out the book.
Whitney
Oct 10, 2012 Whitney rated it liked it
As the subtitles suggests, a lot of this book is basic common sense but it is a good reminder that we need to take precautions to protect our kids as they start engaging on the internet. Also provides some basic guidelines for parents which I thought were helpful.
Stacie Lindsey
Sep 10, 2013 Stacie Lindsey rated it really liked it
This was an Education Week suggestion. This has been a big topic of discussion in our neighborhood lately. The latest statistics on texting, facebooking etc. were shocking. The social impact, made me a little nervous.
Kevin Hodgson
Jun 06, 2012 Kevin Hodgson rated it really liked it
Steyer is CEO of CommonSense Media, which I like as a resource for teaching and parenting, but which I also filter through a "this is bad" lens on most digital media. Still, it's an important website to bookmark and worth a view.
Alex Pang
Jun 25, 2012 Alex Pang rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I'm not entirely sure what to make of this yet. It's good, if somewhat more focused on policy than I think is useful. I keep thinking about how I would write it, which makes it hard to appreciate on its own merits.
Molly
Jul 26, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
A look at how parents should approach Facebook and social media in regards to their children. Another cautionary look at how much private information we are giving away.
jodi ruhl
Jan 14, 2013 jodi ruhl rated it really liked it
great information to arm parents with the tools we need to navigate the tricky waters of raising kids in this fast paced digital world. a must read.
Jun 02, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Need to buy this one for school and home. I'm sure it will outdate itself in about 3 weeks but incredibly helpful suggestions for each age group.
Erika
Jun 08, 2012 Erika rated it liked it
I read this book to review it for my company's newsletter and learned a lot about Facebook's disregard for privacy. A very interesting book.
False Millennium
Useful for those with children and how to control social media in their lives. An almost impossible task, one would think.
Julie
Oct 29, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend! Super easy read filled with info and great advice for parents for each age group!
  • Is That Me Yelling?: A Parent's Guide to Getting Your Kids to Cooperate Without Losing Your Cool
  • Parley P. Pratt: The Apostle Paul of Mormonism
  • Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families
  • The Tyranny of E-mail: The Four-Thousand-Year Journey to Your Inbox
  • The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • The Artist's Way for Parents: Raising Creative Children
  • Beyond Measure: Rescuing an Overscheduled, Overtested, Underestimated Generation
  • Net Smart: How to Thrive Online
  • Teach Your Children Well
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Paul and Union with Christ: An Exegetical and Theological Study
  • The Secret of the King
  • The App Generation: How Today's Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy, and Imagination in a Digital World
  • The Kingdom of the Occult