Start by marking “Blue Fall (The Tournament, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Fall (The Tournament, #1)

Blue Fall (The Tournament #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  43 reviews
If you knew about the Tournament, you'd know why they want it kept secret. People don't like to hear that state-sponsored war games are going on under their noses, in their cities, and on their streets. The world isn't ready to know that the most powerful among us can shape the future by wagering on these fights. People wouldn't understand if they learned that teams in the ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Griffith Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blue Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Fall

Mihir

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: Blue Fall is a book which was sent to us for review purposes, the blurb details given above do not appear that exciting but what garnered my interest was this paragraph detailing the content of the book:

The book centers on the notion of using contests between individuals to settle disputes between nations. Thousands of years ago, warring nations sent their champions to battle each other, and the outcome of single battles often settled wa
Jill Elizabeth
My review copy of Blue Fall was generously provided by the author, B.B. Griffith.

Blue Fall. An enigmatic title – and one whose origin/meaning I’m still not entirely sure about, even after finishing the book. It could be literal (can’t explain without a spoiler, sorry). It could be figurative – the fall of humanity, of logic, of sanity on the Blue Planet (Earth). Those are my leading two interpretations, anyway, and I can’t tell you which I think is more likely to be the intended referent. I love
Annah

Blue Fall is the first book in the Tournament series. This book is amazing, epically amazing. The writing itself was great. There was so much detail and character discovery. It was fast-paced in all the right places and slowed down enough where it needed to. There are so many different characters to learn about. Everyone has a background and you figure out what type of person everyone is in such a great way. It isn't all pushed at you, but given up at it's own pace. I will admit I did have to re
Mieneke
Blue Fall is a fun, fast read. The idea of national warriors, who might even be used to settle political disputes between nations, is fascinating. As mentioned on the publisher's website, the idea of national champions is an ancient one. We've all heard of the King's or the Queen's Champion and trial by combat is a well-documented medieval phenomenon. It died out halfway through the Seventeenth Century; but what if it didn't? What if, instead of long, drawn-out wars, international disputes could ...more
Chandni
There aren’t many unique ideas for film, T.V. or literature these days, but Griffith managed to create a brilliant novel with an entirely new premise. The Tournament can be described as a competition between eight countries where three of their best people battle against each other. There are no rules, no laws, and the possibility of injury is high.

Blue Fall takes us to a very primitive place. Each team truly consists of warriors and there are some amazing battles between them. Griffith really m
Katbyrdie
DNF - Once again, I wanted to like this book. I got over a quarter of the way through and had to stop. All the male characters (and they were almost all male), started to run together. I couldn't remember whose perspective I was reading from and why they were important. Every chapter was back and forth between past and present and different characters. It was all too much information. If the author had stuck with just the UK or just the states, I think things would have made more sense. Also, I ...more
Lydia
This was a very creative story, and I did enjoy it. There were some parts that seemed unnecessary, but I'm hoping they matter in later books. There were also parts that seemed intentionally vague and at first that was frustrating. At the very beginning of this book, I started feeling like I might have missed a book because they author was treating the reader as if we knew all about The Tournament. Since I didn't know anything about it, I had to infer a lot from what was being said.

I like the wa
Christian
I really liked this one, but if you can't get this book for free, don't bother with it, get straight to the whole trilogy.

The idea is based on modern gladiator fights on a national level. A note closer specified organization pitches teams of three's against each other, and deals with a wide betting pool, that does not exclusively deal with money. Debt or political questions might be dealt over those fights.
While the original design was non lethal, and ideally secret from the rest of society, the
Shawana
This book was great. It has action, adventure and well developed characters. If I had to compare it to something, I would say it Hunger Games for adults with a touch of the Bourne movie series. I just happened to come upon the book when I searched Amazon and it was a great find.
Geoff
Even months later I am still thinking about this book. I went off fiction a couple of years ago. This book has dragged me - white-knuckled - back in. More Mr Griffith, more I say!

T.W. Barton
Well I have to saw that I'm not sure really how to rate this book. It wasn't bad, it had action which I like but I guess what I disliked most was that most of the book was build up of the characters and why they fit the tournament. There is a few chapters of action at the end.

One thing that constantly irritated me was that in one moment the players make moves that someone in a gun fight would never do and then in the next they do some almost super human thing just lost me in those instances.

This
Ken Brunelle
The first few pages got me hooked, nothing but jaw dropping and my heart pumping. GREAT!
Millieb
Full disclaimer here: I know and am friends with the author. However, instead of cutting him some slack, I actually went into reading this book fully expecting it to be sub-par (Sorry, B! It's just, you hear a friend say, I wrote a novel. You expect it to be... mediocre?) However, I was pleasantly surprised by this book, which I found to be compelling, well written, and compulsively readable. In fact, I had to relegate it to "gym reading" status, as I tore through the first 100 pages in a day, a ...more
Nissanmama
The over-arching premise of Blue Fall is an elementary one: competition. There is inherent struggle and suspense in the pitting of one side against another. This simple concept, however, is not an uncomplicated one in the pages of Blue Fall. B.B. Griffith’s debut novel seeks to accomplish two goals. The first is to provide an escape for those of us who love to flee reality into the pages of a good book. The dedication reads, “If you’ve been known to open up a book simply to escape, then Blue Fal ...more
Bob
This one started out a bit confusing, but eventually things cleared up. Basically the story concerns a secret tournament between teams of 3 from various countries and governed by an overall controlling group. The teams are equipped with a special non-lethal ammunition that incapacitates but does not kill. The teams are paired up and turned loose at a set time and the controlling organization takes bets on the outcome from individuals, companies and even nations as to the winners (the trio that h ...more
Linda
A High stakes secret organization is put in place with eight teams of a three man unit to settle issues that settled acts of war! The tournament stood in place with important members from the president to billionaires that wage and satisfied the blood lust as though they were in the good of days of Rome. Disputes are settled on everything until the game got out of hand.................

Frank Youngsmith, an insurance agent, stumbled on more than he could ever imagine with investigating a death tha
Sarah Isenegger
Fantastic! I bought this on the Kindle daily deal and realized quickly that I had stumbled upon an unexpected gem. I would recommend the trilogy to anyone. Give it a whirl.
Emily Peterson
Started out unsure what I thought of this book. There are so many characters to get to know it felt like it jumped around so much and took sooo long to get going. But once the action started it got interesting and now I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.
Eslynne Weaver
Very fast - sucks you in and keeps you reading to find out what happens.
Joan Mueller
Very interesting! Good plot with plenty of mystery and believability.
Jenna
best series since The Hunger Games!
Emmy Brown
Great story line

I really liked the concept of the story. character progression was slow.but well.developed. I can not wait to read the other books in this series.
Denise
Intriguing concept, satisfyingly fast-paced. Although the flashbacks were essential to developing the story, I found the last couple flashbacks interrupted the flow of things and wish the author would have worked them in a little earlier. This tale incorporates a vast range of characters; I enjoyed getting to know some of the ancillary people in addition to learning just what makes the players tick. Looking forward to the sequel(s).
Greywuf
the ending made the plot pointless. good writing and story weaved together nicely even though it was complicated. I was left hanging and felt as though I wasted time reading this book.
Taylor
I won this book through a Goodreads 'First Read' giveaway.

This series would make a kick-ass movie. However, for reading, I just didn't feel connected to the story. I didn't feel that emotional hold other book series have given me. Kudos on the character names though, very cool.
Dan
Cross something like the stories of Roman gladiators with The Hunger Games and you've got a sort of sense of the basic plot behind this book/series. Set it out in "the real world" as it is today and it makes for a quite entertaining, if at the same time quite violent, action story.
Wayne
Interesting story line......that said after a very slow start, held my attention for the most part, however, it left me with a feeling the author was trying to hurry up and end the book as I felt the ending was abrupt and unsatisfying.
Tania
This was an interesting book. There were a few things that I thought could have been developed better, like how did the insurance agent find all the info to compile a report about The Tournament? But overall, a good read!
Michelle
It was OK. Touted as being an "adult" version of the Hunger Games, but it doesn't begin to compare. I never liked the characters enough and the first half of the book was slow...slow...slow.

I won't be buying the sequel.
  • Implant
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • The Nexus (The Nexus, #1)
  • A Provencal Mystery
  • Tag (The Zumar Chronicles, #1)
  • The Vicarage Bench Anthology
  • The Bet
  • Awakening
  • Stone of Destiny
  • The Sun, the Moon and Maybe the Trains
  • Breaking News
  • Brainrush (Brainrush, #1)
  • Serenity (Afterlife,#2)
  • Gauntlet Assassin, The
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
  • Walk the Right Road Box Set
  • The Fourth Law
  • Night Tide (Blake Sanders #2)
B. B. Griffith was born and raised in Denver, Colorado. After graduating from Washington University in St. Louis with a degree in English and American Literature, he wandered the world a bit before returning to Denver to set up shop with his wife.

He writes thrillers that make you think. He is the author of the Tournament series and the Vanished series.

Learn more at: http://griffithpublishing.com

He
More about B.B. Griffith...

The Tournament (4 books)
  • Grey Winter (The Tournament, #2)
  • Black Spring (The Tournament, #3)
  • Summer Crush (The Tournament, #4)
Grey Winter (The Tournament, #2) Black Spring (The Tournament, #3) The Tournament Trilogy Follow the Crow (Vanished, #1) Summer Crush (The Tournament, #4)

“Max had long since learned that problems never go away: they just change faces.” 0 likes
“While books infuriated him, Allen Lockton had always shown a lightening quick propensity for logic. Most often this would manifest itself in his remarkable ability to find things.” 0 likes