Start by marking “The Meat Free Monday Cookbook: A Full Menu for Every Monday of the Year” as Want to Read:
The Meat Free Monday Cookbook: A Full Menu for Every Monday of the Year

The Meat Free Monday Cookbook: A Full Menu for Every Monday of the Year

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In 2009, Paul, Stella and Mary McCartney launched the Meat Free Monday campaign as a simple and straightforward idea to show everyone the value of eating less meat – and to make it easier for us all to do so. The Meat Free Monday Cookbook is for everyone who shares the campaign’s aims and consists of menus for each of the 52 weeks of the year – two main dishes, plus four o ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Kyle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Meat Free Monday Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meat Free Monday Cookbook

Jennifer Parks
0/5 stars.

This cookbook has helped me realize that what the common review and rating systems are missing is the ability to give a book negative stars.

Meat Free Monday Cookbook is like that sexy hipster fellow who talks smart and looks sharp but is pretty dull and lacking soul when you get him talking. To quote another reviewer from Amazon, "This is one of the most sensible (and appetizing) vegetarian cookbooks I have ever read". So as far as purchasing cookbooks for reading, hey, A+++. The probl
Jo
Enjoyed the foreword by Paul, Stella and Mary McCartney and also the introduction explaining how The Meat Free Monday Campaign came to be. From there the book is divided into sections: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter with recipes for each week of the year. This enables everyone to have a complete meat free day with a recipe included for Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Lunch, Side, Dinner and Dessert. A great campaign and loved the set up of the book but nearly all of the recipes call for milk or eggs ...more
Jessi
Plenty of delicious recipes for breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner and a dessert- for each Monday of the year! My only complaint is the layout of some of the recipes. I prefer cookbooks that list ingredients first, so you know what to prepare, and then show you the recipe. Many (at least half) of the recipes in the book are written in that frustrating paragraph style, which narrates the process of preparing the dish, and the ingredients are listed within the narration in bold. I don't care for tha ...more
Molly
"Hey babe, I'm at the store- do we have any fatoush or pomegranate molasses, or should I pick some up?"

I'm totally on board with meat free mondays, and I'm glad the concept is spreading enough to have this book published. But this book just wasn't realistic for me. Alot of ingredients I will never have and probably couldn't find or afford if I wanted them. Beautiful photos and what I'm sure is delicious food- but just not the sort of practical cookbook that I prefer.
Megan
I like the idea of seasonal eating and meal plans, but I found that too many recipes are heavily dependent on dairy and eggs.
Rebecca
3.5 - I think its easier simply to list positives and negatives about this book:

Good points:
~I think the ideas behind this campaign are really good and they're summarised simply in the introduction.
~The recipes are appealing and different, certainly giving a lot of new vegetarian inspiration. The evening I brought this book home my friends and I spent ages flicking through it drooling.
~Each Monday has many more recipes than I would be able to eat in one day, so you could even use the book for 2
Stephanie
I was super-excited to get this new release from the library (after an excruciating wait of several weeks).

Meat-Free Monday is a relatively new campaign that’s catching on, and as its name suggests, it’s asking everyone to give up meat one day a week (the Monday requirement is flexible, I’m sure). I love the idea as it breaks down an overwhelming diet change into a manageable one that most people can embrace. Once a week is not a huge commitment, yet it can have huge global impacts if everyone
Rachel
I had found the website for this idea of a Meat Free Monday awhile back and thought it was a great idea, so naturally when I found out they had created a cookbook for it, I had to get my hands on it. Convincing my husband to have a meat-free meal is another thing entirely, but I'll definitely have ammunition now with all these great recipes. They broke the book down into seasons, and have 13 weekly menus per season. Every weekly menu has recipes for breakfast, lunch, packed lunch, side/snack, di ...more
Kellea
I love this cookbook, with a foreword by celebrities Paul and Stella McCartney, along with the accompanying website, www.meatfreemondays.com, It's all about encouraging us to take account of our meat consumption as well as to pay more attention to the environment and climate around us. And, since I'm trying to incorporate more fun vegetarian based dishes into my meal plan (especially dinner), I thought this was the perfect companion for me. And I also like that the meal plans for a truly Meat-Fr ...more
Kim
I will try a few recipes out of this book, but most are a bit too exotic for my taste (and my husband's). There is definitely a European slant to the recipes, and while I appreciate the meat free options, I was floored by the amount of butter required for some of these dishes. Egads! I will update this review after I try a recipe or two.
Angela
I like a cookbook that has ingredients I can find at most supermarkets. These recipes were few and far between. Plus, the idea of sorting them by Season was interesting but not functional for me. I like when recipes are group by meal and this way a day by day, breakfast to dessert layout. Not for me. Sorry.
Liz DeCoster
Provides a year's worth of full-day menus without meat. I really appreciated the diversity of meatless recipes here; it wasn't all meat substitutes, though almost every menu featured cheese. I was a little concerned that the text might get wrapped up in name dropping, as some celebrity cookbooks do, but I found very little of that here. I did have one quibble, which is the teeny tiny text size, something that would be very difficult to read in the middle of cooking. Otherwise, recommend.
Clare
I'm not vegetarian but this book is one of my favourites. The book gives you a set of recipes for every Monday of the year, breakfasts, lunches, mains and sides throughout the seasons. The recipes are tasty, fresh and have given me so many new ideas that I wouldn't have considered before, even small things like using lentils instead of mincemeat. There's also the lovely photography throughout mixed with clear, colourful layouts of pages which makes looking through this book a delight.
Sharon
Not sure if you can truly read an entire cookbook, but I was able to scan this for some great new receipes. (The person before me earmarked all eggplant recipes, for which I'll pass.) Still I like the format of this one with menus set up for each week (Mondays, specifically, if you're falling the meat free mantra just once a week) of the year from breakfast through dessert, divided by season. Bon appetit!
Caitlinleah
a beautiful cookbook just packed with recipes. the photos are gorgeous. it's a little hard to cook from because so many recipes are in paragraph form. I'm not ready for the commitment to make any of them- i'll need a grocery list. but it's definitely a cookbook i'm considering buying. thanks for the recommendation, Jamie!
Jess
i loved the layout & design of this book, and i think the concept of meat free Monday is a good one. many of the recipes were ones i'd try in the future - they most likely wouldn't appeal to my kids, and were a bit more labor and ingredient intensive than i have time for right now.
Katie
Had to return this one to the library before I got to try any of the recipes, but they looked reasonable- not too labor intensive or utilizing too many wacky ingredients. Love that it's divided by season! I will absolutely be requesting this one on PaperBackSwap.com!
Kelsee
Made the Asparagus and Mushroom risotto... My oh my! It was so delicious. I'm excited to create more recipes from this book. Knocked off one star because the recipe called for 3 cups of broth, but it actually needed 7 cups to get the risotto completely cooked.
Jamie
Beautiful photos, lots of great recipes (arranged by season) for those seeking to eat less meat. Recipes range from simple to relatively involved and will definitely break you out of your routines, both as a cook and as an eater.
Sari
This is a great cookbook - full of a lot of beautiful pictures and a year's worth of easy recipes for people who would like to make their way towards a less "animal centered" way of eating.
Du
Very cool book. Love the format, the flow and the menus. Pictures are beautiful, and the recipes are well rounded. A lot of gluten, but still worth checking out.
Suzanne
I really love this cookbook. Most of the recipes are easily adaptable, menus are laid out according to what's in season, and the photography is lovely.
Slmstanley
Recipe layout was more arty than practical; too many dishes that my children wouldn't eat on a dare.
Leah
Beautiful presentation, simple recipes, and yummy creations make this vegetarian cookbook a winner!
Lee
beautiful pictures. I would love to be able to make all of these yummy, healthy recipes.
Kathie
Quite a few good recipes, and loads of beautiful pictures!
Tessa
Great vegetarian cookbook for breakfast/lunch/dinner!
Carla
Some good suggestions.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • River Cottage Veg Every Day!
  • Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean, and Southern Flavors Remixed
  • What to Cook and How to Cook It
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Home Made Winter
  • Aida Mollenkamp's Keys to the Kitchen: The Essential Reference for Becoming a More Accomplished, Adventurous Cook
  • The VB6 Cookbook: More than 350 Recipes for Healthy Vegan Meals All Day and Delicious Flexitarian Dinners at Night
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • The Pleasures of Cooking for One
  • Cooking from the Farmers' Market
  • A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Ten Dollar Dinners: 140 Recipes and Tips for Delicious, Budget-Friendly Meals the Whole Family Can Enjoy
  • The World's Best Street Food: Where to find it and how to make it (General Pictorial)
  • Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
Meatless Monday is an international campaign that encourages people to not eat meat on Mondays to improve their health and the health of the planet.

Meat Free Mondays is all about helping people to have one day a week free of meat, but this does not necessarily have to be a Monday!
More about Meat Free Monday Campaign...