Start by marking “Mobile First” as Want to Read:
Mobile First

Mobile First (A Book Apart #6)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,089 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Our industry’s long wait for the complete, strategic guide to mobile web design is finally over. Former Yahoo! design architect and co-creator of Bagcheck Luke Wroblewski knows more about mobile experience than the rest of us, and packs all he knows into this entertaining, to-the-point guidebook. Its data-driven strategies and battle tested techniques will make you a maste ...more
Published 2011 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about Mobile First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mobile First

Stringy
As noted in the introduction, this isn't a book with code examples to work from (see Ethan Marcotte's Responsive Web Design if you want more of that). Wroblewski is looking at the big picture rather than implementation - the whys and best practices rather than the how-to.

I was already interested in developing mobile-first, but the first section of the book makes a solid case for it and provides enough statistics to help me convince other people. I found the best practices sections very useful, w
Graham Herrli
Luke Wroblewsky can write well. This book is full of data and precise examples that make a clearly defined case for designing for mobile first. He considers the constraints (such as screen size, frequently lower bandwidth, a distracted audience) and capabilities (such as accelerometers, location detection, and inbuilt cameras) that make designing for mobile unique. He considers how to lay out information in a manner suited to mobile, interpret mobile-specific actions (touches), and collect input ...more
Alex Texter
While this book makes a compelling case for mobile first development, only the first third ends up actually advocating the practice. After a couple chapters citing off statistics and defining the difference between the desktop and mobile, the rest of the book is a consideration of content organization, best practices, and layout. Unfortunately in this day and age the anyone who has used a phone and even thought about designing for it has likely realized these already and doesn't need eighty page ...more
Ben Weiner
not what I expected, which may have been my fault. this book makes the case for why your business needs to focus on mobile, contains a good discussion of how experiences will differ by device (outside of technical or physical properties), and a popular overview of mobile design patterns. what I was looking for was more a discussion of considerations for implementing responsive web design and more of what it means to start with mobile first. unfortunately, ive heard the book on responsive web des ...more
Ben
The main purpose of this book is to convince you, the developer, (and perhaps your boss, client, etc) to develop on the web for a general mobile experience. The argument is definately won now, and so the book feels a little dated, but the case the author puts forward is well stated and compelling.

This is not a book of code, so don't expect to find 'how-to' instructions on where to begin. In fact, this is much more a book of analytics and statistics. Wroblewski is adept at presenting a balanced,
John
Interesting and very insightful, though I thought it a bit unrealistic in terms of the real world using these strategies, and wished the author had occasionally included some code.
Chris McDonnell
Most memorable quote
"Screens are small, networks are unreliable, and people can find themselves in all kinds of situations when they pull out their mobile devices. But these constraints are not only good for business, they're good for design as well. This is especially true if you subscribe to the adage that design is the process of gradually applying constraints until an elegant solution remains."

Tweet review
LukeW articulates a mindset change in a concise, high level review that prepares a desi
Ibrahim Mohamed
it is an introduction book to the world of mobile it is provide with statistic about the mobile industry and how people use the mobile .and the difference between mobile web experience and mobile native application . the is fully of images enhancing the understanding of the philosophy of the author .it is good book to start diving in the world of mobile industry .
good luck
Ben
The first half of the book is largely devoted to why you should make a mobile website, and why to design it ahead of your website for PC browsers. If you are already sold on that idea, you can safely skip it.

The second half of the book is full of really helpful interaction design insights, aimed at UX professionals who work mainly on websites for PCs, and are making a transition to designing for mobile. If that describes you, you should read this book. I also appreciated that its focus is on the
Irfan
While this book contains data and reasons why we should design mobile first, it lacks a thorough overview on HOW we should design in a mobile first way. I expected that it will contain a comprehensive guide on workflows and theoritical aspects on responsive design.

Nevertheless, this books had given me new insights on why we should design mobile first and many practical tips to apply right away.
Alessandro Muraro
A good book, certainly more valuable when it was first released than it is now - because of the fact that many of the ideas and recommendations found here, are now common knowledge. A fundamental book for the history of web design, not the most important book in a web designer's library in mid-2014
Elizabeth
Nothing shocking here, but it would be a good place to start if you've only coded desktop sites before. The two things I need to think about more are putting input labels above fields instead of inside them and making the content rather than the navigation the focus of the experience.
Rian
Jan 28, 2012 Rian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: designer seeking to get up to speed on recent trends in the craft of web design.
Wroblewski delivers a solid, if stayed, proposal for a new square one in web design: start from a small-screen context and adapt to other forms. Primarily fixed in the realm of design theory and strategy, the book drifts into implementation.

Wroblewski is well known for his work researching and expressing best practices in web form design, and the later chapters find him wandering off course to discuss specific details of web form design for mobile contexts. While valuable, the web form details w
Peter
Part 2 (How to go Mobile), while not wildly technical, focused on the considerations on how to go mobile. Things like responsive design, big buttons, and organizing for action. This will probably be less interesting for most, however Part 1 (the first 3 chapters) I'd highly recommend.

In Part 1 (Why Mobile First?) Luke talks about the amazing growth of mobile, the user experience improvements you'll discover as you embrace the mobile constraints such as the screen size, and then he talks about th
Al
With an impressive research work, the author outlines all aspects of the design for mobile technologies, in an accessible way and over all basic subjects from the theme.
Great reading!
Jamison Sheppard
A poignant declaration of the seemingly obvious, Mobile First is the start of a worldwide trend towards the simplification of the mobile web, or as Luke argues, THE WEB.
Xiangrikuiyy
As a web designer, It's a challenge to design in browser and thinking of mobile first. I get used to the photoshop and absolutely love the tool. I can collect my ideas really quick and just focus on the design. When I am designing in browser and starting with the mobile first, the screen size and making the theme responsive kinda distract my attention and make me feel hard to only focus on designing. But I am happy to start with the mobile first so I am able to notice the contraints of the mobil ...more
Gord
Luke Wrobewski presents a strong argument for designing for mobile devices first, as opposed to simply resizing a traditional website to fit mobile devices' smaller screens. User experience, approaching a mobile project with the expectation of having only half the user's attention means content-centric design/redesign is likely to be the most successful design approach.

Balancing client wants with audience needs is an old problem and may prove to be a larger challenge than before, as mobile web b
Jose Miguel
interesante charla sobre las buenas practicas, el por qué de estas y la compilación de datos que las respaldan.
Poyan Pourshian
To be fair, it's a bit dated. If you haven't had any mobile experience, it's a decent start.
Ludvig Bergander
Good introduction into the concept of mobile first. Maybe too basic.
Alex Taylor
An excellent overview with enough meat to be inspiring without getting bogged down in minutia. This is a book for someone with solid skills in design and development (or who has a team of such people) that is looking for an overview of the problem and approaches to solving it. It is not a how-to by any stretch and I think someone just learning about developing for the web would be frustrated by quick light pace. That said, there are many jumping off points (I haven't pursued yet) that probably h ...more
Thuy Copeland
Mar 22, 2012 Thuy Copeland rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Web developers, web designers and project managers
For any business or tech-related book I purchase, as long as I get one good idea from it, I consider it worth the purchase price. I came out of this book with a new mental model and one good idea. Luke W. has really done his research and homework, offering some juicy statistics on mobile and opens up the conversation concerning whether to treat mobile as its own form of media or as its own platform. While there are no hard and fast answers, there are plenty of links to follow up on the topic and ...more
Bryan
While not entirely what I expected, lukew gives readers a lot to think about when considering a mobile strategy. Since I'm more of a developer than a biz devguy, I would have appreciatedmore technical examples. To the author's credit, he did point out in the intro that Mobile First was not a technical book andtheexamples he did useperfectly illustrated the issues he wants website architects to consider. Overall, this book isa good primer for anyone new to thinking about the mobile web experience ...more
Yann
I expected more of a UI and UX centric book, but it's more of a "why" than "how" book. It gives you a lot of resources and good points I can see myself using to explain clients why they need to think about mobile first. There are a few purely design related bits and pieces, but it's more a higher level overview of the web landscape and how it relates to mobile. An interesting and concise read, but if your looking for UI/UX stuff, you're better off going through blog posts on the subject.
Matt Caron
A good overview book about why you should take Mobile into the first stages of your design process. The gigantic market is often over looked and this approach solves that by focusing on the most concise version your design could have and branching out based on capabilities of the browser you are in. Ignoring mobile is a quick way to headaches down the road, and with this book in your repertoire you can explain the thinking behind the approach a little better.
I know this book is almost 4 years old at this point, but it was so much less relevant than any of the other Book Apart series that I've read. Its mission is to avoid showing any code, and keeping to broad concepts, but it read as more of a pitch for management than for developers.
Ignas
Great book. Mobile devices' number is growing really fast and we need to adopt. We need to change the way we think about apps and webs and think more about the experience user will have with the mobile version of the website. The book itself is easy to read, not too long and is not a technical book (there are zero code lines in it). It is just a really great overview of the things you need to pay attention when going mobile. Would recommend for sure.
Javier Gonel
A designer's first view on mobile plus an introduction to mobile design to non-designers.

While it is not an in-depth guide about mobile. The book tries to show you the issues you will face while developing mobile web sites (and even mobile applications).

It's is a must for anyone working with mobile, as it is a small book you can read in 2/3 afternoons. It will help you to work with designers when building mobile sites.
Zach
Luke's presentation slides on mobile first have more hard data and examples than the entirety of this book. I am disappointed that I don't like how elementary everything seems. Also, it seems like he mentioned something about building in points rather than pixels and never explains the how. I like the event apart books but this is more like how to convince your boss title than a real education for web professionals.
hass and associat...: hass and associates cyber security 1 4 Feb 08, 2013 02:24AM
  • Designing for Emotion
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Card Sorting
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • On Web Typography
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
LukeW is an internationally recognized digital product leader who has designed or contributed to software used by more than 700 million people worldwide.

Luke was Co-founder and Chief Product Officer (CPO) of Bagcheck which was acquired by Twitter Inc. just nine months after being launched publicly. Prior to this, Luke was an Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR) at Benchmark Capital and the Chief Design
More about Luke Wroblewski...

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Just Enough Research
  • Sass for Web Designers
  • On Web Typography
Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks Site-Seeing: A Visual Approach to Web Usability Mobile & Multi-Device Design - Lessons Learned Building Polar

“Your time is precious so this book is short and to the point.” 2 likes