Start by marking “Mobile First” as Want to Read:
Mobile First

Mobile First

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,546 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Our industry’s long wait for the complete, strategic guide to mobile web design is finally over. Former Yahoo! design architect and co-creator of Bagcheck Luke Wroblewski knows more about mobile experience than the rest of us, and packs all he knows into this entertaining, to-the-point guidebook. Its data-driven strategies and battle tested techniques will make you a maste ...more
Published 2011 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about Mobile First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mobile First

Stringy
As noted in the introduction, this isn't a book with code examples to work from (see Ethan Marcotte's Responsive Web Design if you want more of that). Wroblewski is looking at the big picture rather than implementation - the whys and best practices rather than the how-to.

I was already interested in developing mobile-first, but the first section of the book makes a solid case for it and provides enough statistics to help me convince other people. I found the best practices sections very useful, w
Graham Herrli
Luke Wroblewsky can write well. This book is full of data and precise examples that make a clearly defined case for designing for mobile first. He considers the constraints (such as screen size, frequently lower bandwidth, a distracted audience) and capabilities (such as accelerometers, location detection, and inbuilt cameras) that make designing for mobile unique. He considers how to lay out information in a manner suited to mobile, interpret mobile-specific actions (touches), and collect input ...more
Alex Texter
Feb 12, 2014 Alex Texter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
While this book makes a compelling case for mobile first development, only the first third ends up actually advocating the practice. After a couple chapters citing off statistics and defining the difference between the desktop and mobile, the rest of the book is a consideration of content organization, best practices, and layout. Unfortunately in this day and age the anyone who has used a phone and even thought about designing for it has likely realized these already and doesn't need eighty page ...more
Ben Weiner
not what I expected, which may have been my fault. this book makes the case for why your business needs to focus on mobile, contains a good discussion of how experiences will differ by device (outside of technical or physical properties), and a popular overview of mobile design patterns. what I was looking for was more a discussion of considerations for implementing responsive web design and more of what it means to start with mobile first. unfortunately, ive heard the book on responsive web des ...more
John
Feb 13, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and very insightful, though I thought it a bit unrealistic in terms of the real world using these strategies, and wished the author had occasionally included some code.
Stan Skrabut
In June and July, eXtension.org had Luke Wroblewski give two presentations on mobile learning: Mobile First and Organizing Mobile Web Experiences. While I did not have the opportunity to attend the presentations, I did hear good things about his book Mobile First*.

I received Mobile First on Thursday and read it in one sitting. The book is 123 pages of useful material spread out across two parts and seven chapters. Part one focuses on why you should pursue a mobile initiative, some of the constra
Chris McDonnell
Apr 07, 2013 Chris McDonnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most memorable quote
"Screens are small, networks are unreliable, and people can find themselves in all kinds of situations when they pull out their mobile devices. But these constraints are not only good for business, they're good for design as well. This is especially true if you subscribe to the adage that design is the process of gradually applying constraints until an elegant solution remains."

Tweet review
LukeW articulates a mindset change in a concise, high level review that prepares a desi
Ben
Mar 24, 2014 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main purpose of this book is to convince you, the developer, (and perhaps your boss, client, etc) to develop on the web for a general mobile experience. The argument is definately won now, and so the book feels a little dated, but the case the author puts forward is well stated and compelling.

This is not a book of code, so don't expect to find 'how-to' instructions on where to begin. In fact, this is much more a book of analytics and statistics. Wroblewski is adept at presenting a balanced,
Alfredo Sherman
Dec 12, 2016 Alfredo Sherman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, web
Es un buen libro para entender la diferencia entre la interacción en un dispositivo móvil y cualquier otra pantalla. Me gusta mucho la forma simplista de pensar en los usuarios móviles como “usuarios con un ojo y un dedo”, porque tenemos su atención parcial y un dedo que parece sólo sirve para hacer scroll. Contiene perfiles interesantes de usuarios a considerar al crear interacciones, y es muy concreto al mostrar los problemas más comunes de una interacción en pantallas reducidas.

Al pensar nues
Ben
Jul 12, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
The first half of the book is largely devoted to why you should make a mobile website, and why to design it ahead of your website for PC browsers. If you are already sold on that idea, you can safely skip it.

The second half of the book is full of really helpful interaction design insights, aimed at UX professionals who work mainly on websites for PCs, and are making a transition to designing for mobile. If that describes you, you should read this book. I also appreciated that its focus is on the
Peter
Nov 21, 2011 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 (How to go Mobile), while not wildly technical, focused on the considerations on how to go mobile. Things like responsive design, big buttons, and organizing for action. This will probably be less interesting for most, however Part 1 (the first 3 chapters) I'd highly recommend.

In Part 1 (Why Mobile First?) Luke talks about the amazing growth of mobile, the user experience improvements you'll discover as you embrace the mobile constraints such as the screen size, and then he talks about th
Xiangrikuiyy
Jan 21, 2013 Xiangrikuiyy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a web designer, It's a challenge to design in browser and thinking of mobile first. I get used to the photoshop and absolutely love the tool. I can collect my ideas really quick and just focus on the design. When I am designing in browser and starting with the mobile first, the screen size and making the theme responsive kinda distract my attention and make me feel hard to only focus on designing. But I am happy to start with the mobile first so I am able to notice the contraints of the mobil ...more
Gord
May 12, 2014 Gord rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luke Wrobewski presents a strong argument for designing for mobile devices first, as opposed to simply resizing a traditional website to fit mobile devices' smaller screens. User experience, approaching a mobile project with the expectation of having only half the user's attention means content-centric design/redesign is likely to be the most successful design approach.

Balancing client wants with audience needs is an old problem and may prove to be a larger challenge than before, as mobile web b
Bryan
Nov 19, 2011 Bryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not entirely what I expected, lukew gives readers a lot to think about when considering a mobile strategy. Since I'm more of a developer than a biz dev guy, I would have appreciated more technical examples. To the author's credit, he did point out in the intro that Mobile First was not a technical book and the examples he did use perfectly illustrated the issues he wants website architects to consider. Overall, this book is a good primer for anyone new to thinking about the mobile web expe ...more
Alex Taylor
Mar 23, 2012 Alex Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent overview with enough meat to be inspiring without getting bogged down in minutia. This is a book for someone with solid skills in design and development (or who has a team of such people) that is looking for an overview of the problem and approaches to solving it. It is not a how-to by any stretch and I think someone just learning about developing for the web would be frustrated by quick light pace. That said, there are many jumping off points (I haven't pursued yet) that probably h ...more
Lars K Jensen
Jan 20, 2016 Lars K Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, to-the-point book about the importance of applying a mobile focus to your design.

You should note that the book is from 2011. That doesn't take anything away from the foundation in/beneath it - but must of the things in 'Mobile First' will probably have reached you in another way.

Still, it might be the perfect book to give to your boss or colleagues to get your mobile first strategy heard, understood and accepted.

I give it four stars, but if it was published today I would give it three.
Thuy Copeland
Mar 22, 2012 Thuy Copeland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Web developers, web designers and project managers
For any business or tech-related book I purchase, as long as I get one good idea from it, I consider it worth the purchase price. I came out of this book with a new mental model and one good idea. Luke W. has really done his research and homework, offering some juicy statistics on mobile and opens up the conversation concerning whether to treat mobile as its own form of media or as its own platform. While there are no hard and fast answers, there are plenty of links to follow up on the topic and ...more
Patrick
Going in with little experience with mobile UI, this was a great solid read from start to finish. I'm not personally familiar with Luke's books, but I am aware of its value in the design community. This is a great read for anyone interested in UI. While mobile is always moving at a fast pace and practices are subject to change, this still holds a lot of good key design principles that I feel will always be great to go back to.
Javier Gonel
Apr 29, 2013 Javier Gonel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
A designer's first view on mobile plus an introduction to mobile design to non-designers.

While it is not an in-depth guide about mobile. The book tries to show you the issues you will face while developing mobile web sites (and even mobile applications).

It's is a must for anyone working with mobile, as it is a small book you can read in 2/3 afternoons. It will help you to work with designers when building mobile sites.
Zach
Apr 10, 2013 Zach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luke's presentation slides on mobile first have more hard data and examples than the entirety of this book. I am disappointed that I don't like how elementary everything seems. Also, it seems like he mentioned something about building in points rather than pixels and never explains the how. I like the event apart books but this is more like how to convince your boss title than a real education for web professionals.
Ignas
May 07, 2013 Ignas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Great book. Mobile devices' number is growing really fast and we need to adopt. We need to change the way we think about apps and webs and think more about the experience user will have with the mobile version of the website. The book itself is easy to read, not too long and is not a technical book (there are zero code lines in it). It is just a really great overview of the things you need to pay attention when going mobile. Would recommend for sure.
Ryan Swarts
Dec 07, 2011 Ryan Swarts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview on mobile first as a design philosophy. Luke draws on years of form design experience and provides good examples of what to do and what not to do when designing for the small (and medium) screen. Not very technical, but I think that makes it successful and accessible as a book that people will actually read. If you want in-depth development instruction, look to http://oreilly.com for a book on mobile.
Ruiyi Zhou
Feb 02, 2016 Ruiyi Zhou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four interaction types:
Lookup/Find (urgent info, local): I need an answer to something now — frequently related to my current location in the world.
Explore/Play (bored, local): I have some time to kill and just want a few idle time distractions.
Check In/Status (repeat/micro-tasking): Something important to me keeps changing or updating and I want to stay on top of it.
Edit/Create (urgent change/micro-tasking): I need to get something done now that can’t wait.
Matt Caron
Apr 09, 2012 Matt Caron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview book about why you should take Mobile into the first stages of your design process. The gigantic market is often over looked and this approach solves that by focusing on the most concise version your design could have and branching out based on capabilities of the browser you are in. Ignoring mobile is a quick way to headaches down the road, and with this book in your repertoire you can explain the thinking behind the approach a little better.
Yann
Jan 24, 2013 Yann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
I expected more of a UI and UX centric book, but it's more of a "why" than "how" book. It gives you a lot of resources and good points I can see myself using to explain clients why they need to think about mobile first. There are a few purely design related bits and pieces, but it's more a higher level overview of the web landscape and how it relates to mobile. An interesting and concise read, but if your looking for UI/UX stuff, you're better off going through blog posts on the subject.
Jason Zimdars
There isn't a lot new here if you've read about Luke's Mobile First ideas over the past few years, but that's the only real knock on this book. It reads like a long blog post and is well written, carefully researched, and well documented. You won't go wrong making Mobile First part of your workflow.
José N. Guerrero
Nov 09, 2013 José N. Guerrero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great book that answers why designing for mobile first can even improve your other devices design, why is better to start from the device with more constraints and build up from there to give better experiences.

This book is not a full blown manual about designing for mobile, it has tips, good links and above all the philosophy of why mobile first.
Michael
Even though some statistics about mobile usage are nice I found the book was too much trying to convince me that mobile is important. I'm a mobile user myself so I don't need to be convinced that mobile is important.

I still liked the book because it does also give good advice on what's important in mobile design and what should be avoided , illustrated with helpful examples.
Alessandro Muraro
May 12, 2014 Alessandro Muraro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book, certainly more valuable when it was first released than it is now - because of the fact that many of the ideas and recommendations found here, are now common knowledge. A fundamental book for the history of web design, not the most important book in a web designer's library in mid-2014
Patrick Matte
Ce que j'aime de ce livre c'est que ça se lit rapidement et que l'auteur va droit au but. Ce que j'aime moins c'est que la 1re moitié du livre est gaspillée à me convaincre des bienfaits du design adapté au mobile. J'en suis déjà convaincu si je lis ce livre. Le contenu vraiment utile est donc un peu dilué.
hass and associat...: hass and associates cyber security 1 4 Feb 08, 2013 02:24AM
  • Responsive Web Design
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • On Web Typography
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
LukeW is an internationally recognized digital product leader who has designed or contributed to software used by more than 700 million people worldwide.

Luke was Co-founder and Chief Product Officer (CPO) of Bagcheck which was acquired by Twitter Inc. just nine months after being launched publicly. Prior to this, Luke was an Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR) at Benchmark Capital and the Chief Design
More about Luke Wroblewski...

“Your time is precious so this book is short and to the point.” 3 likes