The Best American Travel Writing 2001

The Best American Travel Writing 2001 (Best American Travel Writing)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Already a best-selling addition to the series, this year's Best American Travel Writing is a far-flung collection chosen by travel writer extraordinaire Paul Theroux, who has selected pieces about "the spell in the wilderness, the letter home from foreign parts, the dangerous adventure, the sentimental journey, the exposé, the shocking revelation, the eyewitness report, th...more
Audio, 6 pages
Published October 10th 2001 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Travel Writing 2001, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Travel Writing 2001

Kristina
Marcel Theroux's and Scott Anderson's pieces are brilliant, but the rest of them are a bit heavy and (considering there are FOUR from The New Yorker, where writers are paid by the word), long-winded. Not my favorite of the series by far.
Monica
oh lord every book of travel writing i read makes me want to give up all my plans for life and just roam the globe.
Will Mclaughlin
My take-aways

As Long As We Were Together...- Made me realize that I've done nothing with my childhood.
Fox And Whale...- Makes me not want to climb
Volcano Alley...- It amazes me what people do for jobs or what they feel called to do
Among The Man Eaters- Long story and the most interesting part was the recap of Man Eaters Of Tsavo
Iran, Are You Ready- Great article by a wonderful writer. Iran was in this westernized state in 2001. I wonder if it has continued or if the clerics have cracked down.
The...more
Diane
"As Long as We Were Together, Nothing Bad Could Happen to Us" by Scott Anderson amazed me. The life those boys lived is nothing like my experience.
I enjoyed "Post-Communist Wolf", having visited Romania, although in a car rather than trekking through the waist deep snow. The carnivore research is interesting, and just a good story.
And Susan Orlean's "The place to disappear" about a diffent perspective of Bangkok.

The two most important things about travel writing are sense of place and personal e...more
h
a big fat enjoyable collection. every story in here deserves to be. the locales are far-flung and the writing is all top-notch, even when it's a subject matter that doesn't particularly speak to me. philip caputo's tale of man-eating lions, janet malcolm's chekhov travels, salman rushdie's return to india, and brad wetzler's dispatches on czech hobo culture were particularly great. is it any wonder i constantly get the travel bug?
Joanna
A mixed bag of travel essays. Salmon Rushdie's essay about his return to India was a standout as was "Why We Travel" which was more of a philosophical piece than a travelogue. But other essays seemed overlong and less than thrilling. The quality of readers also varied somewhat. Still, an overall entertaining and engaging listen and ideal for lots of short errands rather than long commutes or drives.
Steve Hayden
This book has some interesting stories in it but for the most part it left me waiting for the next good story. They call this a book on travel but I don't think I would be interested in any of the travels these writers wrote about. Also this is a sampler from 2001 and I read this 10 years later in 2011 and it left me wondering how things may have changed in these countries.
Karol
This collection has some favorite travel stories, including Pico Iyer's "Why We Travel," Russell Banks's story about climbing the Andes, and Salman Rushdie's essay about pajama parties in Tehran.
Michelle
The first two stories ("As Long as We Were Together, Nothing Bad Could Happen to Us" by Scott Anderson and "Fox and Whale, Priest and Angel" by Russell Banks) were especially enchanting.
Jim
Found a tattered copy of this in the slim makeshift library at a run down army base in Kuwait. Helped pass the time, great travel stories.
Jrobertus
lot of engaging essays, esp. "desperate passage", about a writer who follows haitians being smuggled into the u.s.
Karl Seidel
still reading it...but from the first couple of stories I can tell I will not be disappointed.
Cambra
5-finger-box-on-the-street discount.
(go world.)

(+, possible post-post-graduation motivation.)
Repunzel
Repunzel marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 09, 2014
Coratheexplorer2
Coratheexplorer2 marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Peta Hay
Peta Hay marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Ida Jacobsen
Ida Jacobsen is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Todd
Todd added it
Jul 24, 2014
Amber McDaniel
Amber McDaniel marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Alyssa Bowers
Alyssa Bowers marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Meryki
Meryki marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne added it
Apr 05, 2014
Aunt Tiff Tiff
Aunt Tiff Tiff marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Elif Akyol
Elif Akyol marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
JASON WILSON is the drinks columnist at the Washington Post, the series editor of The Smart Set, and the author of Boozehound: On The Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated. He teaches at Drexel University.
More about Jason Wilson...
The Best American Travel Writing 2000 Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits The Best American Travel Writing 2004 The Best American Travel Writing 2005 The Best American Travel Writing 2006

“Unless there is a strong sense of place there is no travel writing, but it need not come from topographical description; dialogue can also convey a sense of place. Even so, I insist, the traveler invents the place. Feeling compelled to comment on my travel books, people say to me, "I went there"---China, India, the Pacific, Albania-- "and it wasn't like that." I say, "Because I am not you.” 3 likes