Start by marking “The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #7)

The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya #7)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  466 ratings  ·  23 reviews
After closing a time loop fiasco in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Vol. 5), our hero Kyon is ready to start a new year with a blank slate--no time travel, no apocalyptic worries, and maybe some actual peace and quiet with the SOS Brigade, a club comprised of his high school's most extraordinary students. Their leader is Haruhi, a bold, brash girl who doesn't realize ...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published August 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya

Dave B.
This book might be the best volume in the series since The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Definitely an interesting story that helps further the development of Kyon and his relationships with each of the members of the SOS Brigade. Additionally, the book further deepens the role of Tsuruya, the energetic friend of Asahina, as well as giving a more concrete appearance to some of the more sinister forces at work in the series universe. A few questions are answered, more are raised, and the book ...more
Derrick Lim
Finally a full length book after the previous two, which were mostly short stories. I can't say that I was fully taken in by the plot.

The time traveling was quite haphazardly done. The plot has some underpinnings that resembled the Terminator series, both of which is about preserving the future by ensuring key events leading up to that future takes place. The story tries to be serious sometimes, and dabbles a little into the consequences of messing with cause and effect, and challenges the idea
Matisse
A personal note: I bought this back in 2012 and life happened, so I wasn't able to read it until now. The Haruhi Suzumiya series is brilliant; so much so that I while I feel the two years it's been since reading this series, the characters read like they had gone through the same amount of time between the sixth book and now. Tons of introspection, inner-monologues, discussion on choosing one's friends over one's duty, and the entire first section is the resolution to the time-travel arc set up ...more
Michelle
Why I Read It: I'm oddly addicted to this series, even though I much prefer the anime adaptation. These past couple of novels have chronicled events that haven't been covered in the anime though, which has been kind of fun. I don't actually have a lot to say so I'm just going to jump to the Final Verdict.

Final Verdict: The main plot of this volume of the series felt largely pointless. More time-traveling shenanigans? Performing small actions that will have larger ramifications in the far future
D.M. Dutcher
This book breaks the trend of the past few books by being both a complete novel rather than a collection of short stories, and actually having some character and plot growth. The story itself is somewhat underwhelming though.

Kyon is hanging out in the S.O.S brigade room when he hears a noise in the broom closet. He looks inside, and Mikuru is there. There are now two Mikurus, one from eight days in the future. Kyon finds himself having to fill a very specific role by doing these arbitrary tasks,
James
In the seventh volume of the series, the reader finds Haruhi, Kyon, and the other members of the SOAS brigade celebrating the new year, and for once Haruhi is content with the way things are.

After closing the time loop from The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya , Kyon believes he is starting the new year with a blank slate and free of the confusions of time travel. However, one day, the Mikuru from eight days in the future appears in the SOS Brigade's broom closet, saying she was sent back in ti
Leif
I am very concerned that we may have jumped the shark with this one. It introduces a whole cast of "villain" characters toward the end of the book that I don't think are necessary. I like the switch to a single novel format instead of a story collection, but I am very nervous as to the direction the story is heading in (as a whole). Otherwise, I really like this novel. My complaint early on, that the challenges the characters face seem like performing a list of chores, is brought up in the con ...more
Kaitlin
The Intrigues of ... is an excellent addition to the Haruhi Suzumiya series of light novels. The longest volume to date, the story in this book follows (chronologically) the events in The Disappearance and has Kyon running around, performing random seeming tasks doled out by the Elder Asahina. Part of the reason I like this novel so much is that we are finally introduced to some true antagonists for the SOS Brigade. I can't wait to find out more about the enemy organizations and their intentions ...more
Alexander Troutner
An absolutely fantastic read for anyone who is in depth with the Haruhi Suzumiya series. The longest book up to its point and definitely one of the most entertaining. It featured the emotion, mystery, randomness, supernatural phenomena, and unveiling of characters that we love so much from this series. Not to mention the release of some new information that completely sets up the plot for most of the series to come.

I HIGHLY recommend it. Even if you've only watched the anime, it follows soon af
Abdulla
MIND = BLOWN

Not because of spoilers, but because of the insane amount of processing that my brain had to do until I reached the end and finally understand what happened. The themes of knowing the future and what you do with that knowledge, ignorance, and more all paint and great portrait that tells a tale about time travel. I felt the story drag, but I think it was just me desperate to skip ahead and solve this puzzle.
Reno (Falling Letters)
I really enjoy this series because at first glance or read, they may seem like breezy fiction but they actually have so much going for them. This novel didn't contain any of the poignant moments I came across in some of the other volumes; however, it is deep in the themes of friendship, action/inaction, and the relationship of the past and the future, making it an intriguing read indeed.
Stella Astrasi
3.5

Otra buena entrega de la serie Haruhi Suzumiya.

El autor menciona en el apéndice que con esta novela termina el largo invierno que se inició con La desaparición. Y no sólo el invierno, sino que el desarrollo de la amistad y compañerismo de la Brigada SOS por fin se cimienta y al final se abren nuevas cuestiones para las próximas historias.
Shoshana
While it doesn't have as much depth or plot development as some of the other installment in the series *coughDisappearancecough*, Intrigues does have a good amount of fun character interaction and an intriguing and fairly complex discussion of time travel and time lines. If you do NOT like thinking about time travel, this book is not for you.
Raistlin
Pues al final ha sido un libro bastante entretenido. Ha manejado bastante bien las paradojas temporales, prestando atención a algún detalle que ya pensaba que se podría pasar. Quizá la historia no de para las casi 400 páginas, pero se lee del tirón y ha dado más info de los enemigos y sobre algunos personajes como Mikuru o Tsuruya.
Dave Lefevre
Wow.. it took me a long time to get back to this... but I did and for that I am thankful.

It's true that the Haruhi Suzumiya books aren't great literature, but the are fun in the same way a good ecchi, comedic anime is fun.

It's great fun... I always look forward to when a new translation from this series is released.
Ashley Will
"We don't know in advance what we're going to do in the future but the truth is we often don't even know what we were thinking in the past" is a great true quote from the afterward. Enjoyable book although it dragged on a bit.
Reimer
Ya tenía que terminar este libro xD Resultó interesante todo el misterio que lleva el libro, y como estos llegan a algo que ni me esperaba en el universo de Haruhi, ando ansioso por leer el siguiente libro :)
Carrie Stevens
I liked it! Not the strongest tale in the series but I like this universe and am happy to read things which happen there. (I read this one yearrrrs ago, don't know why it wasn't listed yet.)
Mya
Well, I was confused at first but then I got the hang of it. I watch the anime and I love the manga, so I caught on that this book was after the movie.
Alexei Averchenko
It may be the fan translation being bad, but this book doesn't quite capture my attention as much as the previous ones did.
Finn
i know light novels are super uncool but i was ill and needed comfort fiction oKAY
Daniel
Nov 19, 2014 Daniel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fun
Nothing makes sense, but everthing has an explanation.
Via Marielle
Via Marielle marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Mark Bain
Mark Bain marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Nagato
Nagato is currently reading it
Dec 23, 2014
  • Book Girl and the Wayfarer's Lamentation
  • Artificial Things
  • Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle
  • Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
  • Gosick: The Novel (Gosick, #1)
  • Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  • Strawberry Panic: The Complete Novel Collection
  • ソードアート・オンライン2: アインクラッド (Sword Art Online, #2)
Nagaru Tanigawa (谷川 流 Tanigawa Nagaru)

Nagaru Tanigawa is a graduate of the Kwansei Gakuin University School of Law. In 2003, he won Kadokawa's Grand Prize for Literary World for his work on the Haruhi Suzumiya series.
More about Nagaru Tanigawa...
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #1) The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4) The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #3) 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #2)

“We don't know in advance what we're going to do in the future, but the truth is we often don't know what we were thinking in the past.” 2 likes