Bane (Vampire Apocalypse, #1)

Bane (Vampire Apocalypse #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  616 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The world as we know it is gone. The ice caps have melted and shifted south, devastating the northern territories and eradicating major cities such as New York and London, which are now under water and frozen. Humans died off during an epidemic prior to the ice disaster, and many more died during the floods at the start of this new ice age.

These events have forced vampires...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 304 pages
Published April 2012 by Laree Bailey Press

To ask other readers questions about Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bane

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
93rd out of 426 books — 4,034 voters
Unearthly by Cynthia HandHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickBane by H.M. Ward
Goegeous Book Covers
5th out of 166 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Izzy {Valdez} Lightfleur
I GOT TO GET AN ARC{Advanced Reserved Copy} AND IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Bane is the most awesome vampire book I've read. The main character is Kahli, a six-teen-year old girl who is wicked awesome and is super cool!!!!!!!

This book's main conflict is; How will Kahli escape?(Hehe, doesn't make sense to you guys huh? Well....READ THE BOOK!)

The story line is amazing, I love the character(*cough, cough* KAHLI!). I like the action in the book and, again, I ♥ Kahli. ;) Th...more
Shirley
Can I just say I loved this book!!! To me it was wayyyyyyyy better than Demon Kissed! Kahli is badass,Will is super hot and I can't wait for book 2!!!!!
Red
This book. This author. They are awesome. I had put off reading this book in the beginning as I tend to get distracted easily. Anyway, once I started reading it, I was drawn into this new vampire world HMWard had created. Seriously, I love this woman.

There is a vampire monarchy in this new world. You will be sucked into this world for sure. The prologue will give you your first short of stress– anticipation and you will feel like Kahli is feeling. – you don't want to be found.

Our protagonist Ka...more
B at Spare Time Book Blog
Bane kind of took me by surprise. It was completely different from any kind of vampire story I have ever read. The whole concept of the apocalypse is awesome then you throw in vampires and it makes it an even more amazing story. Kahli is probably one of my favorite female characters. She's strong and independent and can definitely survive on her own. She has a will to survive like no one I have ever read about. The concept of the Bane was really unique too. I would love to learn more about them!...more
Piseog
I was very excited about this book, but it turned out alot different than how I thought it would be. Kahli is the only wild human left and hasn't spoken to another human in almost 10 years. You wouldn't think it. The author did not take this fact into account when creating the character. She's pretty well adjusted and becomes aquainted with the royal vampire life quite fast. She even references pixie sticks. How would she know what they are? How would she even know much about sex? It's...more
Teiamarie
Yovana
Serious loved this book! It was different from her other books. Yet even though it was different, i was still transported into that world when reading. From the setting to the plot to the ending. Kahli being the last wild human and having to endure so many hardship and attacks. Being so exotic gave her something of an edge when she was captured and sold. Even after everything she went through she will not give up her wild personality. Even though Will was the one that sold her, there was somethi...more
Zaria27
A firm Did-Not-Finish for me.

Again, did I read the same book as everyone else???
Characters were not developed the story was pointless,I was rolling my eyes from the first page.
A massive ice burg broke off of the Artic Shelf, its width spanning nearly half the ocean. The massive pile of ice fell into the sea and caused the ocean to rise. As the mini-continent floated further south, it sank towns along the shore, bringing another ice age with it.

As decades passed, the free humans disappeared, die...more
Judy
Loved it! Such a fresh look on the vampire theme with strong characters in Will and Kahli. Really liked the romance too. Wish the second book was out so I could start it tonight!
Andie
Holy smokes! I just read this from beginning to end in less than 4 hours straight! It was way better than I was expecting! I can't wait for the second one!!!
Lisa
This book is AMAZING!It had me hooked from the beginning .The story line is so original and I love the two main characters.I want more! : )
Nereid
What a great new series, we have the opening chapter where Kahli's mother is being pursued by Trackers and manages to hide Kahli in a thicket and a vampire boy finds her but does not give away her location. Her mother is dragged off and not seen again so Kahli has to fend for herself in the wild against Trackers and wolves. The world as we know it has changed, humans have died out and vampires are following close behind. Camps have been set up to breed humans and the royal family have some in th...more
DeeDee
I really loved this book! I was expecting it to be another typical vampire story, but it was a lot more than that. It was a combination of paranormal, dystopian, romance, and fantasy. It had a kick-butt heroine, a loveable love interest, bad guys, angst, mystery, etc. It had quality writing that hooked me in and kept me interested. It did seem a little short, but maybe that's because I was enjoying it so much. I hope book 2 comes out soon! I really want to know what the runes mean.
Black Queen
Feb 03, 2012 Black Queen marked it as to-read
Everyone has said they love the book review on this book..and know a giveaway I thought this book would have almost about a hundred enters. I know this book will be over awesome just read the book review on it..:D
LeAnn
Aaaaah! This was amazing!! Definitely a page turner and I cannot wait for the next book! You've done it again Miss Ward!
Megan
Jul 27, 2012 Megan marked it as to-read
I'm not usually in to books like this but I did here it was pretty good.
Anita Powers
I have had this book on my TBR list for so long and finally decided to read it and I loved it, wow so good and so different. I am a huge Holly fan for her steamy romance books but now I am in love with these books of hers also. I love Kahli, she is strong, feisty, independent, loyal, loving, and alone. I was saddened right from the start with what she had to deal with and witness. I knew that the boy with the blue eyes that she met when she was barely seven was going to play a part in her future...more
Melanie
Vampires, action, blood, physical attraction, struggle for survival, intrigue, a kickass girl and a hot, hot guy!

I loved this story and can't wait to read the sequels. I love paranormal stories involving vampires and I love H.M. Ward's style of writting. Put the two together and, BAM! Insta-hit for me! It goes on my "to-read-again" list.

At the time of posting this review, there are 2 books out in this series (Bane & Catalyst) and the 3rd one (Divergent) is in the making.

This is a paranormal...more
Jess Haines
If you can look past the many spelling and grammar errors and have no problem suspending disbelief or logic, I can see this appealing to a younger mind-set. The relationship was very Twilight-esque, though Kahli, the main character, had more backbone than Bella ever did.

Unfortunately, due to many errors, I can't recommend this book. There were an incredible number of homonyms (e.g., "chase" instead of "chaise," "plated" instead of "plaited," "snip-its" instead of "snippets," etc) littered throu...more
Mellora
Although I love getting more than the heroine's perspective in a story, I also like to be able to tell who is speaking. With this story it was rarely clear, which left the dialog and story flat.

Pass on this book unless you're in a pinch and there's nothing else to read. There are so many talented writers out there, H.M. Ward included, who have rich and vibrant stories to keep you engaged and panting for more.
Amanda
I really need to be careful that I don't accidentally download "Young Adult" books.

I started reading Bane and became intrigued with the story line. The plot is decent but I think the overall character development of the lead female needed some adjustments. For being the "last human in the wild", she somehow knows enough about pop culture (pixie stix etc) and there are some other oddities (safe houses being built and having electricity/generators?)

The male lead intrigued me and I think the twis...more
Holly
What can I say about this book? Do I hate it? No. Do I love it? It's up for debate. The story line was good and twisted. Who would have thought to mix the end of the world apocalypse with Vampires, Humans, and half breeds known as the Bane (human/vampire). Not including mix in a little romance that is slowly unfolding, throw in a group of kids trying to survive, and vampire's putting humans in camps to use them for blood, and you get a good Young Adult vampire novel that is sure to thrill some a...more
Carrie Robinson
Loved it! Super fast read, great story. I'm already on book two immediately after finishing the first book. So you know it's great. But yes it has spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes. Who publishes this book and no body proofs it first?? So weird. If you just want a fun read. Then go for it!
Raj
So awesome......... I didnt want the King to claim Khali first tho............... I want her and Will to be together.........
Maria Johnston
i first found this book on amazon for .99 i didn't think it would be all that great. i was wrong. this book is actually pretty awesome. it kept me wanting more the whole time and didn't end like a lot of vampire books usually do these days. this is diffidently going to be on my list of favorites. i'm getting the second book to it, right now. if you love a book with vampires (that doesn't revolve around sex) action and a strong female lead role that doesn't take crap form anyone, you have to READ...more
Etaylor
Meooowwww.....look at that cover!

Awesome book, awesome characters, great plot.

Really enjoyed this new take. Dystopian apocalypse paranormal vampire romance??? Hello awesome!!!

Some sad bits with animals but not too many.

Strong lead female, hot lead male.

Recommended!!!!!
I don't want to be a jerk about this book considering someone wrote it and loved it and gave it to the world.

So all I can say is;
Seriously?
and
This just isn't up my alley.

(I may have been not so nice while updating, but I just couldn't help it...)
Tia
Well crap, this is definitely a different kind of vampire book. I was impressed by how it started off. The world isn't the world we know and vampires rule. I'm definitely buying the next book!
Jessica
The story line is good, its different then most vampire books. However, the narrations of each chapter flip flops one character to the next making it difficult to keep up with who is speaking.
R.
This was my favorite from Ward and I have been a fan ever since. My heart was racing a lot through this book it was so suspenseful! Author of Ana Be Still Series.
  • The Unintended (The Watcher, #1)
  • Freak
  • ReVamped (Angel Creek, #1)
  • Vamplayers
  • Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls, #1)
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Demon Vampire: Anthology (The Redgold Series, #1,#2, #3)
  • What Kills Me (What Kills Me, #1)
  • Death and Other Excuses
  • Blood Born (Blood Prophecy, #1)
  • Ordained (The Immortal Archives, #1)
  • Rapture (Rapture Trilogy, #1)
  • Icarus (The Kindred)
  • The Tale Of The Vampire Bride (Vampire Bride, #1)
  • Initiation (The Warrior, #1)
  • Turned (The Vampire Journals, #1)
  • A Night Without Stars
  • Dragon Aster Trilogy (Dragon Aster Trilogy, #1-3)
H.M. Ward is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling New Adult author, having sold over 5 million books since her debut in 2011.

This NEW YORK TIMES, WALL STREET JOURNAL, USA TODAY, and Amazon #1 bestselling writer's series include: THE FERRO FAMILY: DAMAGED, THE ARRANGEMENT, and STRIPPED; as well as SCANDALOUS, TRYSTAN SCOTT, and SECRETS. Ward was recently featured in FORBES, the WALL STREET JOURNAL, and th...more
More about H.M. Ward...
Damaged (Damaged, #1) Damaged 2 (Damaged, #2) The Arrangement: The Ferro Family (The Arrangement, #1) The Arrangement 2: The Ferro Family (The Arrangement, #2) The Arrangement 3: The Ferro Family (The Arrangement, #3)

“room. “Glad to see you’re awake,” he said. “I was starting to think it was foolish to try and heal you without using blood—with wounds like that, anyway—but you proved me wrong.” Will sat at a small table across from her. His silhouette was outlined by a roaring fire. The” 0 likes