Start by marking “A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff” as Want to Read:
A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff

A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff (Neil Gaiman's A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"Before You Read This" (first published as Todd Klein print)
"Featherquest" (first published in Imagine #14)
"Jerusalem" (first broadcast by BBC Radio 4)
"Feminine Endings" (first published in Four Letter Word)
"Orange" (first published in The Starry Rift)
"Orphee" (first published in Orphee (CD))
"Ghosts in the Machines" (first published in The New York Times[3])
"The Annotated
Published 2011 by Borderland Press

To ask other readers questions about A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff

Rich Daley
Feb 07, 2016 Rich Daley rated it liked it
Neil Gaiman describes this as his "b-sides collection" and that's exactly how it feels. It contains a strange collection ranging from his first ever published (and pretty awful) story through to an article about freedom of speech and speeches he's delivered. There are some real gems in here, though, and it gives an insight into the working's of Neil Gaiman's brain in a way that other more sanitized collections don't. Worth reading, but for fans only.
Carl
Jan 06, 2012 Carl rated it really liked it
A ghastly number of typos for a limited edition, but there were some nice B-sides to enjoy here.
Kelly
Dec 30, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
I obtained this through Humble Bundle as part of Neil Gaiman's rare works. It's a real collection of random essays and short stories that any fan would enjoy. You get to delve in to Neil's personal life and thoughts too with his inclusion of the Dresden Dolls essay. A good chunky read it's informative, funny with good story telling. Four stars from me!.
Sara Dee
Mar 30, 2016 Sara Dee rated it really liked it
This was really fun. Starts with his first published work...which is pretty gawd awful...haha!!! The rest are collections of tales and real life experiences as well as speechesand his blog. it's a must for any Gaiman fan
Thomas
Mar 23, 2016 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
So, apparently there's an entire "Little ... Book" series published by Borderlands Press, each featuring hard-to-find stories and other original content from a variety of authors. I wasn't aware of it until I did a little research into this book, which surprises me, since I used to be an avid follower of Borderlands Press. Now most of them are out of print, which is a shame. I'm glad I was able to read this as an ebook, though, since I doubt I would have spent what the secondary market is asking ...more
NMCannon
Nov 23, 2015 NMCannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaiman-books
After reading this, I fully qualify myself as a Gaiman nerd. A LITTLE GOLD BOOK OF GHASTLY STUFF contains 5 short stories, 8 nonfiction essays, 2 speeches, and one prose-poem, which, instead of being scattered about the internet and literary magazines, are collected in one volume for convenience. While the works are highly varied, they're all united by their author and his classic, topsy humor. I found myself giggling a lot and disturbing my reading partner with paraphrases. That being said, I'm ...more
Tanya
I bought a whole bunch of Neil rarities through Humble Bundle, and this was my first pick. I hope the rest is much better from a technical standpoint, this was riddled with typos and one of the nonfiction pieces even cut out mid-sentence. E-book retailers aren't allowed to complain about piracy until paying customers get higher quality books from them than they would from some anonymous fan from the depths of the net who decided to type it up without spell-check.
That aside, this was pretty much
Ignacio Energici
Dec 27, 2015 Ignacio Energici rated it really liked it
Siempre es interesante leer los malos trabajos de un autor que a uno le guste, o los primeros que escribió. Cualquier persona que piense en escribir puede darse cuenta que nadie nace sabiendo escribir.

Además, una forma muy interesante de conocer a Gaiman, desde sus cuentos que nadie le quiso publicar a respuestas de blogs y discursos de agradecimiento. Muy interesante.
Eli
Dec 13, 2015 Eli rated it really liked it
Regardless of the typos and the variety of works in this volume, I liked it. I think my favourites are "Before You Read This", Feminine Endings (it was really disturbing), Orphee and both the Harvey and Nebula Awards Speeches.
Alisa Kester
Like Neil Gaiman says in the introduction, this is a collection of "B Sides and Rarities", and it lives up to that description. Including a few poems, a couple of short stories, an essay or two, and several book reviews, this small collection is a delight for any Gaiman fan. My personal favorite is the final piece, a poem titled "Conjunctions". "....just them and the moon in a luminous bruise of sky...and this was the miracle of the fishes..."

Adding to my personal joy is the fact that I was fort
John
May 26, 2016 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I buy and listen to a lot of music and this is the equivalent of those albums which collect up bits and pieces from an artist's career and release them to gullible fans, often with no regard to their artistic merit. But in this case, because it is Neil Gaiman, even the shop floor sweepings are worth reading. My daily dose of Gaiman, through his blog, his Facebook postings and other sources have become a bit like a fix; something that stirs my cerebral processes, especially in the early hours of ...more
Mandi
Jan 31, 2012 Mandi rated it liked it
Some parts were better than others; as he says in the beginning of the book, this is a collection of "B-sides". I'll admit I skimmed a couple of the reviews included. The two blog posts were some of my favorite things in here, even though I'd read them before. For those interested in reading the posts without having to track down this book, here you go:
Entitlement Issues, aka "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch."
Why defend freedom of icky speech?
Arwen Davis
Sep 02, 2014 Arwen Davis rated it really liked it
A great selection, where some are gold and some are ghastly.
Ralph Carlson
Jul 08, 2014 Ralph Carlson rated it it was amazing
Great as are the "Little Color..." Books.
Jordan
Feb 07, 2016 Jordan rated it really liked it
Some more great Gaiman odds and ends
Mark Terry
Jan 05, 2012 Mark Terry rated it really liked it
Not exactly the bright and cheery "golden books" of my young childhood. But a pretty good substitute for my old childhood.

This Neil Gaiman collection brings a smile with the occasional shudder. Mostly essays and other work apart from his fiction, which I devour. These were also tasty morsels. I may have to revisit Gaiman after this refresher course. Although I very much enjoyed this, I would not suggest it as an introduction to Gaiman. A collection of his short fiction is a good place to start.
Rhys Thomas
May 10, 2012 Rhys Thomas rated it it was amazing
A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff

This collects some of Neil Gaiman’s earlier stories, including Featherquest, his first ever work, as well as some reviews, awards speeches and blog entries. It’s a small book with a hardcover and very nice paper. The stories are great, especially Featherquest which is like a more amusing HP Lovecraft tale, and the other stuff is okay if you’re a fan of Gaiman, which luckily I am – I wouldn’t have bought his book otherwise; it cost over 20 if you add postage. Me
Susan
Mar 25, 2016 Susan marked it as to-read
Shelves: e-books, 2015
bought a bundle of his stuff for the CBLDF and WOW!!! :P

also has a bunch of essays

Jerusalem (collected in the more easily accessible Trigger Warning) read 9/28/2015
Feminine Endings (collected in the more easily accessible Trigger Warning) read 10/11/2015
Orange (collected in the more easily accessible Trigger Warning) read 9/28/2015
Conjunctions
Jared I.
Dec 07, 2011 Jared I. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2011
Skeldof
Feb 12, 2016 Skeldof rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humblebundle
Well, he did say it was ghastly but that's not quite fair. True, some of the stories, especially his earlier samples, are on the naff side.

"Feminine Endings" is by far my favourite of the fictions here because of how beautifully creepy it is.

I also really enjoyed the non-fiction works that made up the latter part of the book.
Dec 11, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology
Excellent and varied anthology of Gaiman's works, ranging from introductions to albums, speeches, and short works of fiction.

All of it is incredibly readable and fantastically enjoyable.
Pierre A Renaud
Jun 30, 2012 Pierre A Renaud marked it as boycotted-authors
Neil Gaiman is a scientology sympatizer and funder.
Irene Quintavalle
Irene Quintavalle marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Alexandra Morgenstern
Alexandra Morgenstern marked it as to-read
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Lisa Nelson
Lisa Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • Nobody's Home: An Anubis Gates Story
  • The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories
  • The Sword & Sorcery Anthology
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • Vertigo: Winter's Edge (Graphic Novel)
  • The Hunter from the Woods
  • The Mallet of Loving Correction
  • Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • Wizards' Worlds
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • History Lesson (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #Volume 1)
  • Stars: Original Stories Based on the Songs of Janis Ian

Neil Gaiman's A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff (3 books)
  • Feminine Endings
  • Conjunctions

“Before you read this ride the night train.
Do not sleep. Encounter people you remember,
now long dead, and read to them.

Before you read this.
battle zombies,
watch your step, trust no one,
kiss without thinking.”
1 likes
“Make mistakes. Make great mistakes , make wonderful mistakes, make glorious mistakes. Better to make a hundred mistakes than to stare at a blank piece of paper too scared to do anything wrong, too scared to do anything.” 1 likes