Start by marking “Bryan's Brain: Volume I” as Want to Read:
Bryan's Brain: Volume I

Bryan's Brain: Volume I

Come with me and explore my crazy brain, discovering my wild attempts at going back in time, cloning dinosaurs, starting private militaries, purchasing mountains, flying to Mars, making movies, selling videogames, and playing professional baseball. You'll laugh, you'll cry, but mostly you won't care about any of it. But read it anyway, because you'll hurt my feelings if yo ...more
Published December 31st 2011 by Littera Press (first published December 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bryan's Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bryan's Brain

James
Dec 22, 2011 James rated it really liked it
Bryan's Brain was a book I could definitely relate to and it brought back memories of my youth. I felt I was reading a book about me except for the part about being could at sports and being in shape. I especially agreed with him about being a child of divorced parents. 2 birthdays, 2 Christmas', 2 of everything. It was even better for me since I was an only child. My friends and I tried making TV commercials with the then 40 pound video recorder. We played manhunt in the woods across the street ...more
Holly
Jan 27, 2012 Holly rated it liked it
A highly enjoyable, extremely funny anthology of essays from Bryan Healey.

Bryan leads us through a childhood full of obsessions....ranging from his attempts to build a time machine out of his mother's minivan, to deciding to buy his own private mountain, and his life's goal of opening his own dinosaur theme park.

Bryan's stories are both funny and sweet in their child-like enthusiasm. He never takes himself too seriously, and in fact spices up his tales with a healthy dose of sarcasm and self-de
Alisha
Feb 25, 2012 Alisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway contest.
Honestly, although the cover is a little boring, the font somewhat strange, the paragraph format odd; this book was highly enjoyable. For anyone who grew up in the late 80's and 90's it's likely to be very nostalgic, as the narrator brings up a lot of things that will certainly remind you of your childhood. From nintendo to Jurassic Park, it's all here in one mans childhood experience. I was smiling the whole time through, especially with the anti
Ike Hedge
Dec 07, 2014 Ike Hedge rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-bin
I'm giving this book two stars. One of them is because I got it for free, and free things are great.
The other one is because some how he managed to get this book published.
This is nothing short of something that plays too heavily on the "I don't care but I do care but I'm a loser and trying to look cool to make myself seem like a likable person" thing.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, talk to any misogynistic 13 year old online.
If you think Family Guy is a good show, have a superiori
Read2review
Jan 03, 2013 Read2review rated it really liked it
Bryan’s Brain is a comedic series of short stories of the life of Bryan Healey. He details a bunch of episodes in his rather entertaining life. I found it to be humorous and I found myself stifling laughter (which would have been strange given my circumstances) multiple times. I really did enjoy the book and all his funny stories in it. Some of the stories revolved around typical child pursuits, trips to Disney, baseball and wanting to explore, while others showed off his more eccentric side – t ...more
Marian
Mar 09, 2012 Marian added it
I love reading memoirs and personal essays so I was really excited to win this book from goodreads. The quote on the cover and the text on the back cover are intriguing enough to pull anyone in.

What I enjoyed about this book is the way Bryan tells stories. He takes snippets of his childhood and retells them in a hilarious manner. He also writes in a way that is meant to give advice to the reader which I found interesting.

I wasn't a fan of the formatting. The text is larger than average and each
Geri
Feb 05, 2012 Geri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, won, recommend
I really enjoyed reading about this overly obsessive, admittedly geeky boy. I had to keep checking the cover to make sure my son hadn't written this book as he is the same age and was very much like Bryan. I loved the whole book but my favorite memories are...
1. Wanting to use his dads car to make a time machine.
2. Telling us about pepe.
3. Thinking his moms mini-van would make a good space ship.
4. Packing up and going to college.
I would have included his Jurassic Park obsession but it hit way to
Pam K.
Aug 30, 2012 Pam K. rated it really liked it
Cute, Witty little tales of Bryan's younger years. From playing Superman, to baseball tales, to heading off to college. All in playful, fun anecdotes. I can remember myself doing some of these things or even my children.
All told with the greatest imagination and descriptions to make you smile the whole way through, and even laugh out loud once or twice.
Very enjoyable reading. Thank you to Mr. Healey for brightening an otherwise lousy day.
Jeremy Lasda
Mar 01, 2012 Jeremy Lasda rated it really liked it
I had won this novel, memoir if you will, in a Goodreads Giveaway, and to be honest, I was not sure what to expect. I do not read many memoirs so I was not sure how I would feel. In the end, I thought this memoir was excellent. It brought me back to memories of my own childhood. It had me laughing, I was even moved at certain points. That being said, I would suggest this book to anyone who wishes to reminisce on the good old days of youth. Therefore, I would give this memoir, 4/5 stars.
Michelle Colloton
Feb 23, 2012 Michelle Colloton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book for free from Goodreads through the First Reads program.

This book is great. Super funny, totally believable, and, at one point, almost made me cry. Some of the stories felt like they came from my own childhood. I think I actually squealed and bounced up and down at the mention of an Aptiva. Luckily, no one was in the room.
Julie S.
Mar 17, 2012 Julie S. rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, funny
Some reallly funny stories but it lacked an overarching purpose. It read a little bit like comedy routines put on paper, but this was not necessarily a bad thing. Overall an enjoyable break from the other things that I was reading at the time.
Alyssa
Dec 10, 2011 Alyssa rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Definitely an entertaining read. I like the style it was written in (witty and sarcastic) and the stories were generally interesting. I'm pretty sure I had a smirk on my face the entire time I was reading.

*I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Nina
Feb 28, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it
Reading this book was like hearing the author descibe my little brother's antics and the thought process behind them. It was a crack-up. I had to read it in small bits - kind of like spending time with my little brother.
Minisha Patel
Dec 10, 2011 Minisha Patel rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, it was quiet funny at times and made me laugh.
I think people can relate to some of the chapters in the book, I certainly did!
It's a quick read and well written.
Beto
Feb 28, 2012 Beto marked it as to-read
Review to come.
Sheryl Duane
Oct 22, 2012 Sheryl Duane rated it liked it
THIS ONE HAD TO TAKE SOME TIME BEFORE I COULD GET INTO IT. MAYBE A LITTLE TOO SCATTERED FOR ME.
Shane Cormier
Dec 10, 2011 Shane Cormier rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book. Thanks for the free book
Tzipora
Tzipora rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2011
Cyn
Cyn rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Scott Onsum
Scott Onsum rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Dana Burgess
Dana Burgess rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2012
James Lynam
James Lynam rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Bubbles
Bubbles rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2012
Vik
Vik rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers marked it as to-read
Stephanie Swanson
Stephanie Swanson marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2011
KatelynAdrianna
KatelynAdrianna marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2011
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2011
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2011
Mich
Mich marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2011
Shahrun
Shahrun marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2011
Andy Snelgrove
Andy Snelgrove marked it as to-read
Iva
Iva marked it as to-read
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Sara Rhiannon
Sara Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Marys Niesink
Marys Niesink marked it as to-read
Susan Goss
Susan Goss marked it as to-read
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2011
Roxy
Roxy marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2011
Karen French
Karen French marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2011
Jeana
Jeana marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2011
Rachelle
Rachelle marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2011
Katie Rose
Katie Rose marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2011
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2011
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2011
Devon
Devon marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2012
Malinda
Malinda marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2012
Cari
Cari marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2012
  • Cemetery Club
  • Another Bad-Dog Book: Essays on Life, Love, and Neurotic Human Behavior
  • Mers
  • The Lexical Funk
  • The Accidental Senator, Vol 1 in the Accidental President , A Political Fable for Our Time
  • The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross, #3)
  • Clawback (Silas Cade #1)
  • Rock 'n' Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip
  • The Secret Formula (Bella Street Mysteries, #1)
  • A Sense of Direction: Pilgrimage for the Restless and the Hopeful
  • The Story of THE RAG! (St. Mary's Today Newspaper)
  • Forever Beth Our Love
  • Women Scorned
  • The Grassroots Health Care Revolution: How Companies Across America Are Dramatically Cutting Their Health Care Costs While Improving Care
  • The Boy Who Flew With Eagles
  • Indian Maidens Bust Loose
  • Dead Reflections
  • The Paperboys Club
Bryan Healey studied Computer Science at Northeastern University before becoming a technology leader, specializing in start-up development. He holds an additional BA in English and an MBA in Project Management. He has technical expertise in machine learning, data science, web development, and system scale; he has literary expertise in fiction and essay writing. Bryan lives in Boston with his beaut ...more
More about Bryan Healey...