Start by marking “Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up” as Want to Read:
Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up

Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up

Picking up where I'm With the Band left off, the world's most well-known groupie discusses life off the road--marriage to a rock star, motherhood, and of course, plenty of celebrity shenanigans. 35,000 first printing. $35,000 ad/promo. Tour.
Published November 1st 1992 by William Morrow & Co (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Take Another Little Piece of My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Another Little Piece of My Heart

Rick Barcenas
I liked "I'm with the Band" so much I had to read this one too. Ms. Des Barres is definitely an interesting gal. Still in love with her?....Maybe a little. Wild Child grows up, has a family etc. A good read.
Jul 16, 2007 Kerstin rated it liked it
This is the sequel to I'm With The Band, the bible of the born-too-late. It's decidedly less exciting than the first book, but well worth the read if you fall in love with Pamela as much as I did.
Mar 15, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
Ultimately the subject mater of this particular instalment of Pamela's life wasn't all that appealing to me - husband, difficult marriage, child - I much preferred the previous book.
Jun 22, 2016 Erin rated it it was ok
I have been on a "groupie book" kick so I thought I would tune in for the rest of Pamela Des Barres' stories. I enjoyed her loving, spirited nature in her first book and was hoping she didn't lose that the farther away she got from the 60s. She definitely is still all about the love, which is something I appreciate, but I couldn't get into this book because Des Barres got way to obsessed with the cosmic. I love religion, I completely agree with piecing together a belief system that works for you ...more
May 29, 2012 Katrina rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I was a very young teen when I read and loved Pamela's first book, I'm with the Band. It's entirely possible that I would feel differently about it now, but I'm definitely finding her follow-up book about her marriage to Michael Des Barres (which, we're told going in, ended in divorce) depressing. Not because I know the marriage didn't last, but because she seemed to make the whole point of her life to be keeping a moody, selfish husband happy. Though it's a quick read, I haven't even been inter ...more
Eli Martinez
Jan 24, 2016 Eli Martinez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: documentary
Despite reading (and loving!) her other two books, I was hesitant about this one since I felt it would be more of a personal memoir and not really contain anything too interesting. After I read it, it just made me love Miss Pamela even more. It is more about her own personal life after "groupiedom" but don't give in to your preconceptions that her life after rocks stars can't be just as interesting. Her voice in this book takes you right into her life, which often included heartbreak and I felt ...more
Oct 21, 2013 Whitlow rated it liked it
I found this to be a little darker than the first book, but still a good read. I enjoyed her carrying the reader through her journey and growth into womanhood. I love hearing her talk about her pregnancy and first baby, it's very sincere and very sweet. A classic rise and fall love story with some dark twists and painful memories. I feel like she used this book to voice her break up after thoughts to her ex. It was her outlet to get her whole story out there and say 'look at me now, I'm over it' ...more
Aug 11, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
While I loved "Let spend the night" and "I'm with the band" to pieces and couldn't stop reading them, I had a really hard time finishing this book. The first half of it is overshadowed by the breakdown of her marriage, which makes it kind of depressing to read - the second half was easier to read and in parts reminded me of her other books.
Aug 27, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Follow up to I'm With the Band. It was an okay read. The marriage drama, new age advice, and problem child interludes bored me. I just wanted to read more of her escapades. At the same time, I appreciated her honesty (she admits she was codependent) and her seemingly genuine appreciation for people and life.
Apr 02, 2012 Baylee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-this-book
I loved this book. I don't think Pamela is the best writer but I enjoy her voice so much. Her life is so interesting. I felt truly inspired while reading this. Her honesty is awesome and her life is incomprehensible. I can't wait to read the rest of her works. I'm an obsessed fan.. or groupie if you will.
Jul 02, 2015 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read....

As usual this author gives us a glimpse of her glorious life she has created and I marvel at her way that she writes, and am inspired that you can do anything you dream...and even after all of life's speed bumps....I always love reading what Miss Pamela has to tell.....
Lilly Wood
May 29, 2015 Lilly Wood rated it really liked it
Shelves: music-related
"its more like swooping in love and it's happening to me"

I absolutely swooped in love with "I'm with the band" and now I'm so terribly sad that I've finished this book. I love the hater-stories and how misunderstood her story is. I really can't wait to start another installment of Miss Pamela's life!

Pamela Des Barres, one of the most famous groupies of the 60's and 70's, becomes a wife, a mother, an ex-wife, a writer. Her attitude concerning the ups and downs of life is admirable, and I enjoyed reading her story.
After reading and loving Miss Des Barres' "I'm With the Band," finding a copy of this sequel in a used book store was like being reunited with an old friend. This book further details her marriage to Michael Des Barres and raising her son Nick. A must-read for anyone who enjoyed the original.
Jul 11, 2012 Frances rated it it was ok
It was a waste of my time. Nothing like the first book. It was about her marriage, not marriage, and son Nick.
Angela Watson
If you love/live with an addict, this is definitely a read that will at least help you feel less alone. It was like a girlfriend holding my hand through some dark times.
Carol Ann
Apr 17, 2009 Carol Ann rated it liked it
Ms. Clark uses her winning recipe which involves an emotionally but lovely heroine, nasty deaths, and a looney living next door. As usual I read it in one evening
Oct 06, 2010 Haylee rated it really liked it
This one is my favorite out of all of Pamela Des Barres books. Its basically about her life in the 80s, which was even more intersting than her hard core groupie days.
Elizabeth Gold
May 15, 2016 Elizabeth Gold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rock n roll

I have deep affection for the world of Pamela Des Barres. While this is not as focused as I'm With the Band, it's still juicy and fun and a piece of pop history.
Pam Houghton
I'm still reading this but I like it. She wrote "I'm With the Band" - but it wasn't in at the library. Got this instead. It's interesting, fun reading.
Mandy - Reading in the Happi Bat's Nest
Great look into how Miss Pamela grew up and I enjoyed the progression of her youthful friendships with the stars into actual solid and mature relationships that have lasted years
Jul 31, 2015 E G rated it it was ok
I'm a little late to the sequel party, but interesting to follow up with what she was doing after the last book left off.
Jayne Lamb
Not a patch on 'I'm With the Band', the 80's ennui seems to settle in a bit over Miss Pamela. Still definetly worth a read, she has one of the most distinctive and sweet voices out there.
Kristen rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Tessa rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Burr DeBenning
Burr DeBenning rated it it was ok
May 24, 2016
Joy Ann Williams
Joy Ann Williams rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2014
Taylor Herperger
Taylor Herperger rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Lori rated it liked it
May 11, 2014
  • Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days and Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and the Women They Loved
  • Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit
  • Up and Down with the Rolling Stones
  • Whores: An Oral Biography of Perry Farrell and Jane's Addiction
  • Always Magic in the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era
  • Rave On: The Biography of Buddy Holly
Pamela Des Barres aka Miss Pamela (born Pamela Ann Miller on September 9, 1948) is a former rock and roll groupie, author, and magazine writer.

Des Barres was born in Reseda, California. Her mother was a housewife and her father worked for Anheuser-Busch and occasionally worked as a gold miner. She idolized the Beatles and Elvis Presley as a child, and fantasized about meeting and dating her favori
More about Pamela Des Barres...