Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up

Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Picking up where I'm With the Band left off, the world's most well-known groupie discusses life off the road--marriage to a rock star, motherhood, and of course, plenty of celebrity shenanigans. 35,000 first printing. $35,000 ad/promo. Tour.
Published November 1st 1992 by William Morrow & Co (first published 1992)

Rick Barcenas
I liked "I'm with the Band" so much I had to read this one too. Ms. Des Barres is definitely an interesting gal. Still in love with her?....Maybe a little. Wild Child grows up, has a family etc. A good read.
Kerstin
This is the sequel to I'm With The Band, the bible of the born-too-late. It's decidedly less exciting than the first book, but well worth the read if you fall in love with Pamela as much as I did.
imakecake
Ultimately the subject mater of this particular instalment of Pamela's life wasn't all that appealing to me - husband, difficult marriage, child - I much preferred the previous book.
Katrina
I was a very young teen when I read and loved Pamela's first book, I'm with the Band. It's entirely possible that I would feel differently about it now, but I'm definitely finding her follow-up book about her marriage to Michael Des Barres (which, we're told going in, ended in divorce) depressing. Not because I know the marriage didn't last, but because she seemed to make the whole point of her life to be keeping a moody, selfish husband happy. Though it's a quick read, I haven't even been inter...more
Whitlow
I found this to be a little darker than the first book, but still a good read. I enjoyed her carrying the reader through her journey and growth into womanhood. I love hearing her talk about her pregnancy and first baby, it's very sincere and very sweet. A classic rise and fall love story with some dark twists and painful memories. I feel like she used this book to voice her break up after thoughts to her ex. It was her outlet to get her whole story out there and say 'look at me now, I'm over it'...more
Tashina
Pamela Des Barres writes with a very engaging voice and manages to make this book almost as gripping as the first, though a teensy bit of the magic is lost when it's more focused on family and career than shenanigan with rock stars and fellow groupies. But, I'm really glad I got to read what happened next and see a little more of her journey of self-discovery.
Follow up to I'm With the Band. It was an okay read. The marriage drama, new age advice, and problem child interludes bored me. I just wanted to read more of her escapades. At the same time, I appreciated her honesty (she admits she was codependent) and her seemingly genuine appreciation for people and life.
Baylee
I loved this book. I don't think Pamela is the best writer but I enjoy her voice so much. Her life is so interesting. I felt truly inspired while reading this. Her honesty is awesome and her life is incomprehensible. I can't wait to read the rest of her works. I'm an obsessed fan.. or groupie if you will.
Alisa
After reading and loving Miss Des Barres' "I'm With the Band," finding a copy of this sequel in a used book store was like being reunited with an old friend. This book further details her marriage to Michael Des Barres and raising her son Nick. A must-read for anyone who enjoyed the original.
Jayne Lyn Lamb
Not a patch on 'I'm With the Band', the 80's ennui seems to settle in a bit over Miss Pamela. Still definetly worth a read, she has one of the most distinctive and sweet voices out there.
Haylee
This one is my favorite out of all of Pamela Des Barres books. Its basically about her life in the 80s, which was even more intersting than her hard core groupie days.
Angela Watson
If you love/live with an addict, this is definitely a read that will at least help you feel less alone. It was like a girlfriend holding my hand through some dark times.
Carol Ann
Ms. Clark uses her winning recipe which involves an emotionally but lovely heroine, nasty deaths, and a looney living next door. As usual I read it in one evening
Pam Houghton
I'm still reading this but I like it. She wrote "I'm With the Band" - but it wasn't in at the library. Got this instead. It's interesting, fun reading.
Frances
It was a waste of my time. Nothing like the first book. It was about her marriage, not marriage, and son Nick.
Isobelpoe
It was pretty hairy there for awhile, but was engaging, interesting and fun (mostly) to read.
Tonya
One of my favorite books of all time. Thanks to this book I discovered Kerouac.

Golda
The first time I ever heard about Al-Anon.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Elis
Elis marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Anibri
Anibri marked it as to-read
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
  • Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit
  • Rebel Heart: An American Rock 'n' Roll Journey
  • Faithfull
  • Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days and Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and the Women They Loved
  • Backstage Passes: Life on the Wild Side with David Bowie
  • Moonage Daydream: The Life & Times of Ziggy Stardust
  • Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood
  • Grunge Is Dead: The Oral History of Seattle Rock Music
  • Basquiat: A Quick Killing in Art
  • Hotel California: The True-Life Adventures of Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Mitchell, Taylor, Browne, Ronstadt, Geffen, the Eagles, and Their Many Friends
  • Light My Fire
Pamela Des Barres aka Miss Pamela (born Pamela Ann Miller on September 9, 1948) is a former rock and roll groupie, author, and magazine writer.

Des Barres was born in Reseda, California. Her mother was a housewife and her father worked for Anheuser-Busch and occasionally worked as a gold miner. She idolized the Beatles and Elvis Presley as a child, and fantasized about meeting and dating her favori...more
More about Pamela Des Barres...
I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie Let's Spend the Night Together: Backstage Secrets of Rock Muses and Supergroupies Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music Babylon One Night Bands Jag är med bandet : en groupies bekännelser