Start by marking “The Way-Back Room” as Want to Read:
The Way-Back Room

The Way-Back Room

This is a heartfelt memoir of growing up in Detroit in the 1950's and 60's by a Catholic girl who struggles with her mother and school. But it is very much meant for adults, espcially those who know and love Detroit as their sense of place.
Paperback, 1st, 218 pages
Published November 5th 2011 by Bottom Dog Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Way-Back Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way-Back Room

Diane
Nov 02, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
Minock writes a very personal memoir of growing up in 1950's Southwest Detroit. I grew up in the same area and attended the same school (Holy Redeemer) in the early 60's so this was of great interest to me. The bulk of the book is about life after the death of her young father and how grief impacts her family. Minock, a very young child seeks comfort in rather public masturbation to the horror of the IHM nuns at her school. Minock's mother works sporadically and becomes a hoarder. These issues, ...more
Larry Smith
Nov 27, 2011 Larry Smith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: General adult audience
I can't disguise my role as publisher of this fine book, and my enthusiasm for Mary Minock as an author of memoir. But here's a review from someone else that will guide you. "Here is one of the most emotionally honest memoirs you will ever read. Mary Minock’s The Way-Back Room offers the abidingly moving narrative of a girl’s life set against the blue-collar grit and texture of multi-ethnic, pre-Vatican II, southwest Detroit. Her story-telling captures mood and setting with a skill evocative of ...more
Cindy
Jun 24, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Picked up this book because I grew up in Cleveland and Detroit is so similar. I'm hoping it will be like A girl Named Zippy.

Well it's not nearly as funny or charming as Zippy, but it's often very interesting whether Mary is talking about the effects of losing her father at age 5 or is sharing a crisis about finding out in the eighth grade that her "habit" (which caused one nun to slap her and another to burst into tears) is actually a mortal sin.

I think any girl who was raised Catholic would rea
Penny
Dec 06, 2011 Penny rated it it was amazing
I was thoroughly engaged by this memoir from local writer Mary Minock about her growing up years in Clark Park in Southwest Detroit. She was raised by a single mother in a very Catholic neighborhood which she writes about with great clarity, humor and honesty. It was an insightful look into a childhood lived at the same time as mine yet in very different circumstances. I loved it!
Suez
Suez rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Janice Walker
Janice Walker rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2015
Susanna Schwacke
Susanna Schwacke rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Amanda
Nov 08, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Awesome for a memoir. Very charming and engaging.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Melissa Grunow
Melissa Grunow marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Michael McBrearty
Michael McBrearty marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016