Start by marking “Home and Heart” as Want to Read:
Home and Heart

Home and Heart

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  53 reviews
This edition is no longer available.

House-sitter Ben Elliot is spending Christmas alone this year--until Adam Prescott arrives on the doorstep, needing a place to stay. Adam is bitter and hurting...and Ben sets out to heal his heart in time for a happy Christmas.

Deep in the Cotswolds in the heart of England, Ben Elliot settles in for a quiet Christmas house-sitting and car
Published November 25th 2011 by Silver Publishing (first published March 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Home and Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home and Heart

T.A. Webb
Ben is a homesitter, taking on assignments for Home-Safe to earn money while he saves up enough to go back to University to get his Masters in Psychology. This ten week assignment for the crotchety old Ms. Bonney, while she recuperates from surgery and takes a nice cruise will allow him some breathing room. And he gets to dog sit. But he is warned, no shenanigans with loose women - like that will be an issue.

Adam is Ms. Bonney's grandson. He has lost his business, his lover, and, he thinks, his
Vio
3.5 Stars
An enjoyable and sweet romance. Two adorable dogs and a crotchety old grandma. Adam and Ben are good and loving, cute. I did want to to shake Ben he was much too controlled at times. He needed to let fly and grab Adam and love him.....which he does eventually and very nicely.
Simsala
3,5 stars

A nice and somehow quiet romance.Troubled and temporarily homeless man meets his knight in shining armor.Including two cute dogs and a nice but stubborn old lady this story is full of cliches and cardboard characters what would bother me more at any other time.But it works as a sweet and light Christmas story...
Meggie
The idea for the plot was interesting, but the way it was written, just didn't click for me. The feelings were not there and couldn't been felt. Sure friendship, between Ben and Adam, was there but this love relationship just didn't fit the picture. It wasn't real at all. Adam had to many problems to be able to focus on Ben as a lover or more. So no, this story didn't convince me. An the attraction wasn't there at all.
Ann
3.5 Stars

This was a sweet story with just enough heartbreak and angst to keep is interesting. I would have liked it to be longer though. I liked Adam and Ben together and their interactions were really well done. It read like two real guys getting to know one another and I love that back and forth banter.

Adam's story is a heartbreaker and Ben was the perfect match for him. I would like to know more about Ben too. He's such a likable guy, but I mostly felt like I knew him through the context of
Serena Yates
I liked this story, which has a lot of Christmas spirit, two men who are attracted to each other but take the time to build a real relationship, and a lot of realism in how they master their lives. The issues are those we can all relate to: weird exes, the need to find a job to survives, parents who do not always understand us and the attempt to lead an honest life, respecting others’ wishes. Oh, and did I mention cute dogs that are true secondary characters in their own rights? I loved them!

Ben
Arthur
Adam's life is full of disappointment. Being physically abused by his father when he was a child, he was thrown to the juvenile facility when he finally hit his father in his teen. The sad thing is, his mother, who knew about the abuse, lied and stood by his father. Believing his mother, his grandmother--a person Adam often went to spend his time when things went bad at home--shut her door when Adam tried to talk to her.

(view spoiler)
MandyM
Just couldn't get into this one. It all started too quickly and had zero chemistry.
Candice
What a wonderful story. A very sweet romance.
Ami
This one is an endearing tell about "getting back on your saddle" again theme. Adam shows up on his grandma's house, after being burned -- losing his business, having a bad break-up his lover, and broke as well. But with Ben's positive attitude, Adam is able to get back on his feet, and I guess, along the way, find his real "home" as well.

I like the contrast character of these two men, and it is written so well. Ben is a positive guy while Adam is more grumpy (life hasn't been good on him, I gue
Karen
Ben knows what he wants and he's got a plan, he's working on getting it.

Adam is adrift his world had blown up in his face, yet again and he's lost, in need of love and support. So he turns to the one person who in the past offered him some semblance of security...his grandmother. But when the door to Grandma's house opens it's not grandma who's there but Ben, the sexy, optimistic house-sitter, who in spite of everything gets under Adam's skin and in spite of his efforts finds himself caring for
Lauraadriana
2.5 Stars
I kind of didn't dig this story. I waited and waited for the chemistry to kick in, but it never happened. At least for me. Adam's short fuse and flying off the handle like every 15 minutes got old fast. Also the cliche of the "cold heartless English old lady"...Did not do it for me either. The dogs were awesome...But Ben and Adam's romance was just so-so for me.

Kyra
Unfortunately I have to agree with those who mentioned the lack of chemistry. Friendship, yes. But when Ben started thinking about building something lasting with Adam (after knowing him for a day or two) it just seemed to come out of nowhere. I was like huh, did I miss something? I usually like Chris Quinton's books but she didn't convince me with this one.
Lillian Francis
Sweet fluffy story that made me feel all warm inside. A definite reread for days I need a literary hug.
Elspeth
This book wasnt bad, it was just kind of boring and I missed the usual British snark.
Serena Yates
I liked this story, which has a lot of Christmas spirit, two men who are attracted to each other but take the time to build a real relationship, and a lot of realism in how they master their lives. The issues are those we can all relate to: weird exes, the need to find a job to survive, parents who do not always understand us, and the attempt to lead an honest life, respecting others’ wishes. Oh, and did I mention cute dogs that are true secondary characters in their own right? I loved them!

Ben
Katharina
3.5

Home and Heart is a warm and somewhat Christmassy story that easily moves along. The writing style is fluid and easy, if sometimes a bit stiff, which makes for a nice and enjoyable read.
The major flaw is for me that, although we get to know some of the characters' past (especially Adam's), we don't get to know the characters themselves all that well throughout the book. Maybe that is one of the reasons why I didn't really connect with them, although I did like them both. Surprisingly, this d
Janie
This was a sweet Christmas story of two men who come together while one is house and dog sitting and the other is the grandson come running back home. I think the 2 main characters are sweet together, but it just seemed more like close friends instead of lovers.
Candice
Read on 12-7-13

I liked this, but I kind of thought Ben and Adam worked better as friends. I didn't find any chemistry between these two. I thought Ben was too "controlled", I kind of wanted him to let go. As far as Adam went...poor guy :( (view spoiler)
Cheryl
Ben is house/pet sitter. He is currently sitting for Mrs. B. She had surgery and is recovering in a very nice convalescent home. She has two beautiful, playful and mischievous dogs.

Adam is sleeping in his car after his life fell apart. His business went under. His boyfriend was a dick, who demanded repayment of the loan he gave Adam. Adam's family had betrayed him when he was a teenager.

One night in the pouring rain Adam knocks on his gran's door. Ben opens the door and Adam demands to know wh
Lisa Worrall
This was just what I needed on a cold and wintry Sunday afternoon. A beautiful rich, warm, fulfilling love story. Ben was just adorable with his optimism and his heart, welcoming Adam into his life and making the man feel as though there was nothing he couldn't achieve with Ben beside him.

Then there was Adam, with his quick temper and his defeatism. His scowl couldn't hide the scared and insecure little boy inside, worried that he would turn out to be just like his father. Ben was his lifeline a
TracyGee
A very sweet and loving book. Fromdog sitting, house sitting, visiting your employer to finding true love.
This book has a little bit of everything.
A nice quick read
Eva
I liked this story and found the romance between Adam and Ben sweet and heartwarming.
The only thing that bothered me was how the whole mess with Adam's parents, mainly his dad was handled. I don't want to sound harsh and inconsiderate but a simple I'm sorry from his family, while not a magical fix-it-all would have done wonders in making me believe they actually regret what happened. As it was I was left with the impression that both his mom and grandma had more sympathy for his father than for
Raevyn
Dec 09, 2012 Raevyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Ben works for a company that watches homes and pets while the owner is away and his latest job is for Adam's grandmother. Adam is sleeping in his car because he left his snake of a boyfriend and didn't have money or a place to go. Ben and Adam are great together and I loved that they got to know each other before they fell in love. Ben helped Adam figure out what to do with his life and Adam filled a space in Ben's heart that he didn't know was empty. Sweet, sweet story.
Karen
4 1/2 stars :)

this was one of the nicest love stories i have read in ages. no bizarre plot twists, not too full of angst, delightfully realistic and very sweet. it was so nice to read a book that didn't have our heroes falling into bed and love in 30 seconds flat, instead you got to watch their relationship develop.

this book left my heart feeling warm and fuzzy <3
Martin
A short and simple love story. I wanted to find out what happened to the couple, so kept turning the pages but the plot is slight; I would have preferred a few twists and turns.

The sex, when it comes, is detailed. More passion and less clinical description would maker it hotter.

It was a nice change to have a British M/M love story as so many are American.
Eli Easton
I saw this recommended on RJ Scott's blog. As a long time Anglophile and a particular lover of the Cotswolds, I had to buy it immediately. I'm so glad I did. It's a lovely Christmas romance and I could really picture the setting all the way through the book. I will be looking for more by Chris Quinton.
Stacey
A sweet story of hard-earned redemption. Of building trust, and of letting go. The MCs are lovely. One of them deeply flawed but never giving up on being more, being better. The other steadfast and giving. But the standout character in this short is the grandma. She steals the show.
  • My Christmas Present
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Jesse's Christmas
  • Mr. Popsalos (Mr. Popsalos, #1)
  • Men Under the Mistletoe
  • Personal Shopper
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Winter Warmers
  • Simple Gifts (Cornwall Novellas, #2)
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • Carol of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #1)
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song (Heartwarming)
  • Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf (Heartwarming)
  • A Summit City Christmas (Sno Ho, #2.5)
  • Finally Home (Home on the Ranch, #1)
  • Alaska (Heartwarming)
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
Chris started creating stories not long after she mastered joined-up writing, somewhat to the bemusement of her parents and her English teachers. But she received plenty of encouragement. Her dad gave her an already old Everest typewriter when she was about ten, and it was probably the best gift she'd ever received – until the inventions of the home-computer and the worldwide web.

Chris's reading
More about Chris Quinton...
The Psychic's Tale (Fitzwarren Inheritance #1) Game On, Game Over Starfall Aloes Finders, Keepers