Start by marking “Fibber in the Heat” as Want to Read:
Fibber in the Heat

Fibber in the Heat

Fanatical about cricket since he was a boy,Miles Juppwould do anything to see his heroes play—but perhaps deciding to bluff his way into the press corps during England's Test series in India wasn't his best idea. By claiming to be the cricket correspondent for BBC Scotland and getting a job with the (Welsh) Western Mail, Miles lands the press pass that will surely be the t ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Fibber in the Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fibber in the Heat

F.R.
Jul 01, 2012 F.R. rated it liked it
Miles Jupp is becoming an increasingly visible presence on British TV these days. He shows up on ‘Have I Got News For You’ and ‘Would I Lie To You’ – and I thought he was very authoritative on the entertaining documentary Andy Hamilton made about Satan. However when I first saw him, he wasn’t a mid-ranked comedian at all – he was Archie the inventor on bizarre Scottish kids’ programme ‘Balamory’. (I have young nieces, and so a certain level of exposure to these things). And it’s in the period ...more
Sam
May 13, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it
Miles Jupp's book about blagging his way onto a cricket tour is so quintessentially British it almost demands to be read under an oak tree on a hot June afternoon, glass of Pimms in hand. Its entire premise is whimsical and the text itself keeps up that character with the only interruption to my small chuckles and smiles being the odd roar of laughter when Jupp produces a reflection that wouldn't be out of place in one of his hilarious stand-up routines. The book is not serious in the slightest ...more
Daniel Sevitt
Nov 24, 2016 Daniel Sevitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read the whole thing on the plane from Ben Gurion to Luton and giggled consistently throughout. Jupp is endearingly self-effacing and refreshingly honest about his incompetence. Given his subsequent rise as a comedian and satirist, this lovingly detailed career cul-de-sac is charming and delightful.

Obviously the delight is multiplied for those besotted with David Gower and beguiled by TMS, but I think there's enough here also for a layperson.
Alan Draycott
Feb 10, 2014 Alan Draycott rated it really liked it
Jupp effortlessly taps in to the true fantasy of millions of men in this land. Yes sitting in a sweaty wooden box in some former colony with 50 other middle aged men, watching cricket. Who doesn't dream of that? Well it turns into a nightmare for Jupp but with such polite humour that it's impossible not to delight in. I'ts a bit like a modern day "Scoop" but dare I say funnier for the modern reader. In a miserable February it lightened my commute though I did guffaw too many times for some of my ...more
Rhys
Jul 17, 2012 Rhys rated it liked it

This is a gentle and gently humorous review of the obsession of Mile Jupp with cricket. It is told with typically Juppian deprecatory turn of phrase and tone. It does work best if you know and appreciate cricket and especially the recent history of the England team, but it also works well as a study of a man's attempt to turn a leisure pursuit, followed for love, into a profession and the effect that is has on his feelings for the game. This is not going to rival England Their England in terms
Philip Davies
May 27, 2014 Philip Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy to read tale of one mans passion for cricket that becomes tarnished the closer he gets to his ideal job of becoming a cricket correspondent.
We learn that heroes are mere mortals when viewed close up; that the life of a sports correspondent is very unglamerous; and that at the time of writing Miles Jupp probably had more money than sense!

cw13
Jan 05, 2013 cw13 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: followers of the England test matches in 2006, especially
Shelves: audiobook
Bought the audiobook solely based on the comedy bits I saw of Miles Jupp on TV (or on youTube to be precise). I had no clue about cricket (and still don't) but gained amusing insights into sports journalism, India and the hoops a newbie to both has to jump through.

Audiobook: Read by the author/hero which certainly adds to the story.
William Bibliomane
Posh boy blags his way into being a journalist on a cricket tour, and we are supposed to feel badly when things don't go his way. Something about this book just rubbed me completely up the wrong way.

Full review here: https://bibliomaneblog.wordpress.com/...
Simon
Sep 04, 2014 Simon rated it liked it
Shelves: sport
Listened on audio. The BBC are backing this fellow but either they've seen something I haven't or his best is yet to come or his face fits. Hopefully the middle one. He seems amiable enough but so is my friend Pete who hasn't got work from the BBC or a talking book but who is considerably better informed and much funnier.
Angel Serrano
Demasiado esfuerzo para ser gracioso, el autor (o quizás solo farsante) nos cuenta en su farsa de novela, cómo fue su carrera de periodista deportivo farsante, cubriendo un viaje del equipo inglés de Cricket a la India. Pesado para el que no es fanático e irrespetuoso para el que lo es.
William Emeny
Apr 14, 2013 William Emeny rated it really liked it
An entertaining, quintessentially British tale of Miles bumbling and blagging his way into the press corp on England's tour of India. Humorous and witty, Miles learns a big lesson about keeping your hobby and your work life separate. A very enjoyable read.
Peter Wanless
Aug 24, 2013 Peter Wanless rated it really liked it
Gentle humour - catches the chaos of touring India well and why it might, after all, be better fun as a real fan than as a cricket reporter.
Emma
Feb 19, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it
More of a gently amusing cricketing story, rather than one which will make you laugh out loud. Apart from the Balamory moments, which are hilarious...
Alison
Apr 30, 2013 Alison rated it liked it
Enjoyable read - managed to make a series of cricket matches accessible even to someone who is not a fan. Would not recommend though to someone who has no interest in cricket.
Mark Thornton
Dec 21, 2014 Mark Thornton rated it really liked it
A jolly romp of a comic true story, centred around a tour of India by the England cricket team, accompanied by their press corps, one of whom (Miles Jupp) is actually a fake!
Jonny Taylor
Jonny Taylor rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Alice Jupp
Alice Jupp rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Rob Spedding
Rob Spedding rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2016
T G
T G rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
Shaun
Shaun rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Samantha Whyte
Samantha Whyte rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Michael Grant
Michael Grant rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Calum
Calum rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Helen Warr
Helen Warr rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Ed Day
Ed Day rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Gordon
Gordon rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Finns
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Swedes
  • A Social History of English Cricket
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Danes
  • Measuring the Universe: Our Historic Quest to Chart the horizons of Space and Time
  • Letter from America, 1946-2004
  • Professor Stewart's Incredible Numbers
Miles Jupp (born 8 September 1979) is an English comedian and actor, probably best known as Archie in the children's television series Balamory.

More about Miles Jupp...