Start by marking “Every Night, Josephine!” as Want to Read:
Every Night, Josephine!

Every Night, Josephine!

Every Night, Josephine!, originally published in 1963, may not have nearly as much pill-popping and sex as Valley of the Dolls, the book that made its author a sensation. But it is definitely Jacqueline Susann all the way-witty and full of dead-on observations.

After exploring the crazy world of pedigree dogs, Susann finally acquires a magnificent poodle, Josephine. The p

Published November 30th 2004 by Penguin Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Every Night, Josephine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Night, Josephine!

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
243rd out of 806 books — 1,609 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréCat's Cradle by Kurt VonnegutPlanet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle
Best Books of 1963
22nd out of 66 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Nina
Oct 28, 2008 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults and anyone who likes stories about owning dogs.
Recommended to Nina by: My mom
This book will forever be etched in my brain!

My mom gave me this book when I was in 2nd grade. I have very vivid memories of the book and probably remember it as being much better than it actually is because it caused a big controversy.

I went to grades 1-7 at Anshe Emet here in Chicago, which is a Jewish parochial school. I always brought my books in to school so I could read them during my free time, or on the bus, but when my teacher saw this book she accused me of reading smut - loudly and i
Linda
Apr 17, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a kid, and still love it today. It is sweet and funny, and a nice light read when you don't want to read anything really deep. Jacqueline Susann always said that this was her favourite book that she wrote. It's one of those books that I have enjoyed reading on more than one occasion.
Kimberly
Sep 17, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
My first real adult book, I read it when I was 10...I loved it. Still have a copy on my bookshelf
CmPete Tucker
Aug 23, 2007 CmPete Tucker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: laughoutloud
I loaned this book to a friend in high school. Her mother phoned mine - she was outraged that I was sharing such 'trash'. My mother said 'Just read it yourself, and see what you think.' Mrs B. read the book and loved it. It isn't the expected late 60's racy romance - but a delightful account of an eccentric poodle. Some of the names are rather dated now, but the antics of Josie and company are jsut as amusing now...I still giggle over the quandy of collecting a urine sample...
Melinda Worfolk
I read this when I was a kid and loved it. I remember my parents (who were never the type to prevent me from reading adult books) asking me what it was about with slightly worried expressions on their faces--I realize now that it was because they associated Jacqueline Susann with The Valley of the Dolls, not exactly appropriate for children! But they relaxed after I told them it was the story of an elegant lady and her very nice poodle.
Roisin
Jul 17, 2011 Roisin rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny! You need not be a dog lover to enjoy this quick summertime read. Published in 1963, Jacqueline Susann is so hip, you would think she wrote it yesterday. I especially love the culturally accepted pill popping references! Written prior to Valley of the Dolls.
Jess Sweetman
Feb 28, 2015 Jess Sweetman rated it really liked it
Jacqueline Susann was to literature what fluffy leopard print slippers are to feet. Frivolous? Yes. Pointless? Maybe. But who gives a shit as all you need is something downright fabulous. Jackie Collins is a hack. Long live Jacqueline Susann.
Joy
Dec 03, 2008 Joy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone that read her other books
This book was cute. It's funny to see how Jacqueline Susann and her high society friends in the 60's treat their dogs and pamper them. I guess if you live in a fancy hotel, you order room service for your dog's meals...?
Joni
Jan 15, 2008 Joni rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Joni by: kat
Shelves: favorite-books
I loved this book! The author truly loved this little dog she writes about. Being a dog lover myself I thoroughly enjoyed her tales of how tiny little Josephine won over the hearts of everyone she met.
Harini Srinivasan
Feb 19, 2012 Harini Srinivasan rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Put your mattresses down on the floor so you won't injure yourself ROFLing! Every dog lover will identify with the hilarious adventures of Josephine's humans.
Shane
Feb 10, 2013 Shane rated it it was amazing
As I remember this was a rather charming and funny read, and much different than the wonderfully trashy fiction Susann is noted for, but great nonetheless.
Adrian
Jun 04, 2016 Adrian rated it it was amazing
I do think Susann, neurotic as she appeared to be was probably quite a nice person. This book is as much a memoir of her life as it is Josie's and there's some terribly witty extracts, especially when she talks to her husband (who - side note, sounds like a total retroactive male) in bed about Josie.
Natalie
Jan 20, 2016 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book not only because I'm a dog lover but because it's a classic novel by my new favorite author Jackie Susann
Cheryl
Jun 16, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I probably shouldn't rate this book. Anyone who loves dogs (especially poodles) will probably love Every Night, Josephine!. I'm a cat person (who does like dogs), so I'm a bit biased. It was a light, low-stress read that I did find some humor in (though not laugh-out-loud funny like the back cover insisted).
Sujit Banerjee
Jun 28, 2016 Sujit Banerjee rated it really liked it
If you love dogs then this book is yours! A simple straight forward book about the love between a dog and her mistress. Absolutely delightful book! Humor at its best!
Stephanie
Sep 06, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This is a real period piece, reflecting life in upper crust NYC society as seen through the eyes of Josephine, a miniature thoroughbred poodle, and her human, Jacqueline Susann. The book financed Susann's writing career until "Valley of the Dolls" was published and reflects Susann's sardonic wit, right-on observations about early 1960s fashion & social thought, wit, incredibly funny sense of humor and the mutual love between poodle & human. Less known is the fact that this book was writt ...more
smcdonaldpoet
Jul 14, 2015 smcdonaldpoet rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much and I ha ... er, well, am not ... how shall I say? ... "not that fond" of dogs!
Vanessa
Oct 13, 2015 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
great book about love of dogs.
Josephine is a large poodle.
Lee Anne
Sep 23, 2008 Lee Anne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers, Sex and the City fans
When one buys a book, written by the author of a classic trashy novel, that is about a French poodle, one expects certain things. This book delivers COMPLETELY! Breezy, conversational, and completely indugent, Every Night Josephine was enjoyable from start to finish. Bonus--the dog doesn't die! There's an epilogue in the reprint edition I read that said she was still going strong at 16 in 1970 (I'm sure she's long dead now, or we'd have heard about it on the news, a 54 year old dog). Aside from ...more
Mandy
Feb 15, 2016 Mandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
About a spoiled poodle. really...
Beth Ann
Aug 17, 2016 Beth Ann rated it it was amazing
Beguiling.
Joan Fisher
Jan 20, 2015 Joan Fisher rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! the bond between human and dog.
IreneS
Oct 27, 2011 IreneS marked it as to-read
I read this book a million years ago in 3rd? 4th? grade and LOVED IT. I do remember one of the nuns confiscated my copy and called my mother (who had given me the book), she could not believe my mother let me read a JACQUELINE SUSANN book (SCANDAL!).

I recently picked up a copy @ the Greene Valley Book Fair in Virgina and have every intention of rereading it.

it's a lovely little book, its the first book I remember reading over and over.
Toni
Jan 25, 2008 Toni rated it it was amazing
My first read on this book:

Now, I thought this was a fantastic short, if you can jump back to remember the world of 1963, that is. That was "modern" animal care back then...it kept me snickering on the bus to work, and chuckling at home :)

Pre-requirements: remember (or imagine) 1963; be a pathetic animal lover (like me) with a sense of humor...
Carla JFCL
Mar 17, 2011 Carla JFCL rated it liked it
I think this was the first "pet love" book I ever read, and I completely adored it. I was pretty young when I read it, so I can't comment much on whether it was well-written; I just remember really loving the story.
NK
Jan 03, 2013 NK rated it really liked it
The setting of this story is dated (retro), but not in a bad way, I found it very interesting. The story of love for a pet is timeless. I really liked this book.
Heidi
Aug 10, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Very funny easy read. Great book for dog lovers and people who like NYC. A copyright of 1963 but it has a modern feel to it.
Hope Barrett
Nov 24, 2012 Hope Barrett rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
This wonderful tribute to Susann's candy-loving poodle is both funny and touching. One of the books you will want to keep on the shelf.
LD
May 30, 2012 LD rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-2-book
Cute book, but ultimately poor literary quality. High recommended for poodle owners and lovers, however.
Denise
Jul 14, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing
Loved this book...so cute and funny. I was worried it would have a sad ending, but it ended well!
  • Emma and I
  • Lovely Me: The Life of Jacqueline Susann
  • William and the Tramp (Just William, #28)
  • Silent Interviews: On Language, Race, Sex, Science Fiction, and Some Comics--A Collection of Written Interviews
  • The Serial Killer's Apprentice: And 12 Other True Stories of Cleveland's Most Intriguing Unsolved Crimes
  • Shadow The Sheepdog
  • Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier
  • Ripe for the Picking
  • Queen of the Underworld
  • More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen
  • Sleeping Arrangements
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Ella in Europe: An American Dog's International Adventures
  • Go Slowly, Come Back Quickly
  • Nabokov's Butterflies: Unpublished and Uncollected Writings
  • Lieberman's Choice (Abe Lieberman, #2)
  • The Smile of the Lamb
  • Misfortune's Daughters
Jacqueline Susann was one of the most successful writers in the history of American publishing. Her first novel, Valley of the Dolls, published in 1966, is one of the best-selling books of all time. When The Love Machine was published in 1969, it too became an immediate #1 bestseller and held that position for five months. When Once is Not Enough was published in 1973, it also moved to the top of ...more
More about Jacqueline Susann...