Start by marking “Whoredom In Kimmage: The Private Lives of Irish Women” as Want to Read:
Whoredom In Kimmage: The Private Lives of Irish Women

Whoredom In Kimmage: The Private Lives of Irish Women

Written with the art of a skilled fiction writer whose ear for Irish bluster is pitch-perfect, Whoredom in Kimmage tells the tale of contemporary Irish women through a series of brilliantly animated scenes that take the reader from Dillon's tiny pub in rural Corofin to the heart of Dublin. This beguiling account of Irish life transcends that nation's small shores through t ...more
Published August 1st 1994 by Anchor (first published August 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Whoredom In Kimmage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whoredom In Kimmage

Cheri
Dec 20, 2007 Cheri rated it really liked it
A heartbreaking book detailing women's roles in Irish society, including an intimate telling of the struggles with abortion, homosexuality, and marriage. The book is mostly objective, although the author is American of Irish descent and does at times speak of her own ties to the culture, both emotionally and physically. Intelligent and thoughtful, the book sheds light on the dark side of Irish culture that is relevant even today - the same battles are being fought by women over a decade after th ...more
Holli
Apr 15, 2010 Holli rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
A great biography of the women of Ireland, from lesbians and poets to the president (Mary Robinson) and nuns. This book tells a fantastic herstory of Irish women, in an excellent and descriptive writing style.
Padraic
Jun 02, 2008 Padraic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ireland
One of the first volleys in the Irish culture wars of the 1990s to make it to America. May never again have the same impact (i.e. worth re-reading? doubt it), but important nonetheless.
Liz
Feb 07, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it
Great topic and wonderful voice. Very insightful; Ireland on the brink of feminism. Or at least Ireland on the brink of recognizing women as something other than mothers of men.
Ellen Sheehan
Jun 22, 2007 Ellen Sheehan rated it did not like it
i really liked this when i first read it -- i was 20 and had not yet been to ireland -- reread years later only to decide rosemary mahoney was a total snot.
Jessica
Feb 24, 2012 Jessica marked it as to-read
Haven't read this yet, but spent some time in Ireland last year and found out about it through a local pub owner (who also happened to serve the most amazing Thai food my tastebuds have ever been lucky enough to encounter). Apparently, the town the pub was in was once occupied by this author, and, like some of you have already pointed out, she's regarded as quite the snob for having inhabited the area, intertwined herself with the locals (and their scandals), and then produced a book that allege ...more
Gloria Getty
Oct 23, 2013 Gloria Getty rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Neat mix of autobiography, biography, travel, journalism and fiction threaded throughout with first-rate description so vivid and at times so exquisitely lyrical that I gasp to think how magically such beauty can coexist with the many humorous absurdities that leaven the stories.
As usual I am stumped to see anyone giving one star to a book I really love. Oh well
She was interviewed before a live audience on The Next Chapter. A couple of points I recall worth repeating here:
The s
Denise
Dec 03, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great snapshot of what it was like in Ireland in the early 1990s. Thoughtful, thought provoking and a touch sad for the wonder of Ireland's women under the patriarchal heel of men and the Catholic Church.
Dec 09, 2014 Sarah added it
This popped up as recommended to me on GR and I realized I read it a million years ago as one of the texts for my MA thesis.
Linda
Sep 07, 2008 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: ireland
I enjoyed the book. I did feel that the portrayal was somewhat dated and, especially regarding the small town pub, a somewhat stereotypical narrow focus on the Irish character, but what can I say, I've never been to Ireland, and the author may be entirely correct. Having said that, I thought Rosemary Mahoney's look at Ireland in the 1990's an interesting read.
Cathy
Aug 25, 2007 Cathy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: non fiction readers and anyone who enjoys human interest stories
Rosemary Mahoney spends time in Ireland and interviews women of different sorts. Very interesting perspective and when reading her interviews, it's like sitting right there with the women (and men). I will read more of her books!
David
Jul 15, 2007 David rated it really liked it
Although possibly a little dated by now, I thought this was a highly perceptive take on the role of women in Irish society when it first appeared in the early to mid-90's.
Clif
Sep 01, 2007 Clif rated it liked it
This book focuses on Ireland and the travels of the author, but cannot help but irradiate the role of women in general with a brutally honest glow
Eileen Binning
Jun 29, 2015 Eileen Binning rated it liked it
I personally didn't like the foul language in the beginning of the book, however story was very interesting. I am glad I read it.
Anastasia
Oct 23, 2008 Anastasia rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish
Half of the chapters I read weren't even about women and seemed to have no point at all. I couldn't finish it.
Judy
May 09, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
Really nice book with narrative flow about women in Ireland. I've made several friends read it!
Jenny
Sep 25, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for those who love the Emerald Isle and the characters who inhabit it.
Sharon
Feb 06, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it
Rosemary Mahoney is a great writer - this was an interest study of woman in Ireland.
John
Sep 28, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: irish-authors
Good book about Irish women in the 90's.
Karla
Sep 23, 2009 Karla rated it did not like it
Recommended to Karla by: book club
Shelves: 1999
BORING! Drunk Irish in pubs.
Ann
Nov 08, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing
I love this book
Dorothy
Jan 12, 2008 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous prose.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Susanna Corcoran
Susanna Corcoran rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Emily Dean
Emily Dean marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
  • The Green Flag, Vols 1-3
  • In the Name of the Father: The Story of Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four
  • The Story of the Irish Race: A Popular History of Ireland
  • The Aran Islands
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
Rosemary Mahoney (born January 28, 1961 Boston) is an American non-fiction writer.

She grew up in Milton, Massachusetts, andgraduated from St. Paul's School (Concord, New Hampshire). She worked briefly for Lillian Hellman.

She has attended Yaddo.

She has written for numerous publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post Book World, The New York Times Book Review, Elle, National Geog
More about Rosemary Mahoney...