The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase Trilogy)

The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The Legend of the Firefish is a timeless tale of the pursuit of faith and honor. Packer Throme longs to bring prosperity back to his decaying fishing village by discovering the trade secrets of a
Published June 23rd 2007 by Harvest House Publishers,U.S. (first published March 1st 2007)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Path to Sacrifice by Chris       SmithThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisScepter of Faith by Chris       Smith
Best Christian Fantasy books
214th out of 226 books — 212 voters
The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Sci-Fi/Fantasy
307th out of 309 books — 383 voters

More lists with this book...

George Bryan
Jun 24, 2007 George Bryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone
This book has lots of swords and monsters, a love story, and people struggling against the odds. It has a siginificant spiritual bent, traditional (like 17th century) Christian. I really like it, but then, I'm a bit biased.
Ron
Nov 15, 2008 Ron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Ron by: Jon Moss
Some books by Christian authors will be enjoyed by all readers. Lord of the Rings comes to mind. Others, while equally enjoyable for Christian readers, will probably fail to connect with non-Christian readers. The Legend of the Firefish fits that latter category.

The premise is promising: a seventeenth century sea-faring tale in which certain mythological elements (sea monsters) are true. The storytelling is competent.

Writing any novel with a Christian worldview adds a dimension which some reader...more
Sue Bohannon
Sep 02, 2008 Sue Bohannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens/Adults
Recommended to Sue by: I just took a chance and bought it.
I have a grandson that loves fiction/fantasy books. I was a little concerned until I found/read your book,"The Legend Of The FireFish". I have ordered him the trilogy set. I loved reading "'FireFish" and may be hooked on fantasy and dragons myself. He is coming by today on his way back to college and pick up another trilogy by another Christian author, L. A. Kelly. I have bought him other sets at the Family Christian Store but when I checked Saturday, they were not carrying any dragon/fantasy ty...more
Rachel
Sep 19, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults, young adults, Christians (not kids; there are violent moments)
I stumbled across this book at my local library, when I was searching for a not-super-serious/dramatic/heavy book to read last weekend. I was searching Christian fiction in the library catalog...read this synopsis...and was just floored by the idea of a Christian book with pirates in it. So I just had to pick it up.

I loved this book. My expectation going in was that it might be kind of airy, more entertainment than good theology...but this book was something altogether unexpected and amazing. As...more
Jaclynn
Get ready for an adventure on the sea! Packer Throme begins his quest to hunt the Firefish (with secrets given to him by his father) by stowing away on Scat Wilkin’s (a notorious pirate) ship- The Trophy Chase. But will he die at the hand of Talon, a woman who has turned her back on God, before he ever gets the chance to share his knowledge and desire? And what will happen to Panna, the girl he loves? I really liked this book although it did take quite a bit of concentration to get through. One...more
Stacia
I was unaware when I picked this book up that it was Christian fiction (I generally avoid the genre as I find it overall poorly written, preachy in tone, and pretty much romantic fiction which I also do not read). Given my bias against the genre, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I found the balance between story and message appropriate. The emphasis on message did not detract from plot or characterization overmuch, and I was able to read the book without being too annoyed.
Ruth
Packer Throme, a failed seminary student, turns to the sword as the means of proving his worth and hatches a daring plan to save his fishing village from poverty. He concocts a plot to stow away aboard the pirate ship Trophy Chase, whose captain, the notorious Scat Wilkins, hunts a treasure far more valuable than silver or gold. Wilkins hunts the Firefish, legendary sea creatures whose meat is a highly prized and valuable commodity. Packer has little idea of the life-threatening dangers facing h...more
Deb
Sep 04, 2007 Deb added it
in a history that is similar to our own, but different in that the giant sea monsters drawn on maps are actually real, a young man is strangely obsessed with the "legend" of the firefish. he believes he can help find the elusive beasts--but the only problem is that the only people interested in hunting the firefish are pirates. stowing away on a pirate ship is almost a certain death sentence, but that is just what packer (our hero) does. this leads to the first of several times he is nearly kill...more
Samantha
A heroic struggle of faith- a compelling story of adventure, mythology, honor & sacrifice.Packer Throme begins his quest to hunt the Firefish (with secrets given to him by his father) by stowing away on Scat Wilkin's (a notorious pirate) ship- The Trophy Chase. But will he die at the hand of Talon a woman who has turned her back on God
before he ever gets the chance to share his knowledge and desire? And what will happen to Panna, his beloved? This book was a little "wierd" but it had a very...more
Iris
I didn't realize this was a Christian book when I picked it up at the library. I was a little worried that the story wouldn't be very good/complex. It turned out OK. While it had a slow start, the characters were likeable (for the most part) and the story was fun and even exciting at times. I'm not sure I'll finish out the trilogy as the writing and themes were a bit too simple for my taste.
J-rod Drudge
It was very adventurs and with a lot of caracters that have purposes that make sense in th story. My favorate caracter is Packer Throme, and Scat Wilkins. They both play an important role in the story. If Scat Wilkins wasn't in the story, then Packer wouldn't of been in the story and it probaly would not have been very intresting. I really liked it, and I bet the second book will be even better.
Jami
What a fantastic story!! There aren't any slow boring parts and more than enough edge of your seat adventures. I've never read a book that had so many climaxes in the plot. I also Love that Packers faith is part of the main focus and that Panna is a strong woman of faith and also just a strong woman. An extremely well told tale!!! I recommend it!!
Jennifer Nelson
Wow! What a rip-roaring tale this was! This book is action packed and a real page-turner. I enjoyed the rollicking ride and was also pleasantly surprised by the depth of the plot and the soul/spiritual issues that were fleshed out as the characters responded to difficult situations. This is Christian fiction a step above the average.
Marie
It's a shame that this series remains unnoticed! I read them several years ago, and I loved them. Definitely a good and very exciting read. It is packed with action, adventure, and a powerful message blended throughout. I wish more Christian fiction could have this mix of fantasy and adventure! :)
catrina
2.5 stars. I found that I didn't have much emotional connection with the characters. I didn't really care what happened to them. Some of the 'non-fighting' annoyed me. Though I did like how easy it was to read. Over all, an okay book. I will probably read the second one, since I have it.
Lisa
I loved this book! I liked the Christian aspect of it and the real struggles between right and wrong. And not to mention PIRATES lol!! I started the sequel but I couldn't get into it. Firefish ends nicely, the sequels weren't exactly necessary. Recommended!!
Mary
Two and a half stars.
There's too much explaining of people's thoughts, intentions, and what their faith is. All this internal dialogue slows the story down too much. I just kept thinking, get on with the story.
Melissa
Though I liked his descriptive, but to the point style, I thought that Polivka's book never really got anywhere.
I’d say it’s a neat fantasy book, but I had a hard time getting through it.
Raechel
This was so super good. I was really impressed. There were so many Biblical truths weaved into the story, and I learned a lot from it. I would highly recommend it to anyone!
Makenzie
ok this book was a really good read... there was a lot of violence, and some tough situations, but over that it was excellent! it really gets you hooked!
Amanda
I found this book interesting. I like the way the story ties together. I need to read the other two before I come up with an opinion though.
Marion Hill
The first novel in the excellent Trophy Chase Trilogy. A cross between Treasure Island and Pilgrim's Progress. A good read!
Bill Tillman
It simply does not make a believable tale to me to plop Israel, Rome, Egypt into a fantasy world. Oil & water.
Elizabeth Goddard
Mar 15, 2008 Elizabeth Goddard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth by: CSFF Blog Tour
This is one of my favorites! I love the writing, the story, and the deep message. Gotta have that message.
Createtv
WONDERFUL treat of writing that pulls you into intrigue and near - medieval legend/ slight fantasy element
Lainey
This book was full of intense action and a story line that was beyond attention grabbing.
Anna
BEST FRICKING BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sarah Lewis
May 31, 2013 Sarah Lewis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Daniel, Peter, anyone who enjoys fantasy-adventure
First read April 11, 2008. Liked the series enough to start it again. :)
Steve
Nice story. Alex enjoyed too.
Vivian
Too long in getting to the meat.
  • The Restorer
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow (Codebearers, #1)
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • The Shadow at Evening (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1)
  • Masters & Slayers (Tales of Starlight, #1)
  • The Vanishing Sculptor (Valley of the Dragons, #1)
George Bryan Polivka was raised in the Chicago area, attended Bible college in Alabama, and ventured on to Europe where he studied under Francis Schaeffer at L’Abri Fellowship in Switzerland. He then returned to Alabama where he enrolled at Birmingham-Southern College as an English major.

In 1986, Bryan won an Emmy for writing his documentary, “A Hard Road to Glory,” which detailed the difficult p...more
More about George Bryan Polivka...
The Hand That Bears the Sword The Battle for Vast Dominion (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #3) Blaggard's Moon (Prequel to the Trophy Chase Trilogy)