Start by marking “The Oxford Book of American Short Stories (Oxford Paperbacks)” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Book of American Short Stories (Oxford Paperbacks)

The Oxford Book of American Short Stories (Oxford Paperbacks)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  27 reviews
This volume offers a survey of American short fiction in 59 tales that combine classic works with 'different, unexpected gems', which invite readers to explore a wealth of important pieces by women and minority writers. Authors include: Amy Tan, Alice Adams, David Leavitt and Tim O'Brien.
Published October 5th 2000 by OUP USA (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Book of American Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Book of American Short Stories

Andrew
Finally! I began reading this book quite a while ago and am happy to report that I've finished. Overall, I was curious to see the evolution of short story writing in America from its dawning to the late 1980's. I have to admit, I didn't begin to enjoy the stories until I read the ones that came after the Civil War. The stories I thought were most exceptional--in voice, in language, in characterization--were written during or after the Harlem Renaissance. These stories include:

"Heat" by Joyce Car
Lindsey
Just read Willa Cather's A Death in the Desert. I love the way that woman writes!!

6-2-2011
I'm going to keep a list of the short stories I read before this anthology goes back to the library (I'm sure I won't have time to read it cover-to-cover).

Rip van Winkle, by Washington Irving
Peter Rugg, the Missing Man, by William Austin
The Wives of the Dead, by Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Tell-Tale Heart, by Edgar Allen Poe
The Ghost in the Mill, by Harriet Beecher Stowe
A White Heron, by Sarah Orne Jewett
The St
Charles
Not a perfect anthology, but the stories within represent the cultural diversity in the American Short Story well. Highlights for me include: John Edgar Wideman's "Fever"; Saul Bellow's "Something to Remember Me By"; Paul Bowles' "A Distant Episode"; Jack London's "In a Far Country"; and Tobias Wolff's "Hunter's in the Snow". Maybe my favorites do not represent the diversity of race and gender well, but having read a handful of the stories before deciding to teach the anthology, re-reading them, ...more
Erica
I've never read an anthology of this breadth and depth from start to finish. It was time well spent... even if that time spanned a good five or six months. I pulled it off my shelf between novels and read the introduction. I was intrigued and compelled to start at the beginning and work my way through. Many of the authors I had read before -- certainly not all. Several of the selections I had read, or was at least familiar with. But, I really appreciated that most were not necessarily the most o ...more
Paul
Great collection. It spans the late 18th Century to the present, wide a wide variety of styles represented. I had a particular fondness for the more contemporary short stories, including "The Drowned Life" by Jeffrey Ford and "Filthy With Things" by T.C. Boyle. I also appreciated the inclusiuon of some science fiction and hooror in the collection. I also liked the fact that authors from various and disparate backgrounds were included.
Mathilde Apelt
Oates selected short stories written by famous writers, most of them rather unknown. She orders them chronologically, from Washington Irving's "Rip van Winkle" to Pinckney Benedict's (1954- )Town Smokes.
56 stories, including works byPoe, Mark Twain, Henry James,, Stephen Crane, Faaulkner, Ellison, Updike,and Oates herself. An excellent collection if one studies the craft of writing short stories.
JP
This book includes two short stories that finally made me understand that essence of the Black American experience where so many other attempts have failed. Sonny's Blues (James Baldwin) and Battle Royal (Ralph Ellison). Other stories I liked: There Will Come Soft Rains (Bradbury), Fleur (Louise Erdich), The Management of Grief (Bharati Mukherjee), and The Things They Carries (Tim O'Brien).
Elizabeth
I
am
finished...

finally.

I read this book over the course of several years in between novels. After teaching American Literature for 5 years a while back, I enjoyed reading a few old favorites, but mostly being exposed to new stuff. Although there were a couple that were hard to get through, most of the stories were great, with standouts from Harriet Beecher Stowe to Louise Erdrich.
Carrie
This is a really good anthology of American literature -- it has all of the authors one would want to read in order to be "well read" in American literature, and yet it doesn't have the typically anthologized stories by those writers. You get something fresher and more thought out. It's also inexpensive as big anthologies go. Thanks, Joyce!
Chelsee
This anthology has some really outstanding works in it, while others are less interesting, or odd choices of work from otherwise brilliant authors. Certainly worth purchasing if you're looking for an affordable collection of short fiction.
Betty
I've been reading this book for awhile, picking it up now and then. I like this collection both for the stories included and for the introductions provided by Joyce Carol Oates.
Raelynn
a variety of genres are represented in this collection (pieces range from Rip Van Winkle to The Yellow Wallpaper) and the authors are across several eras.
Rachel
An excellent collection containing familiar classics in addition to lesser known stories from some of the greatest authors of American short fiction.
Michelle
This is the ULTIMATE short story with a big chunk of "the greats" included. You won't find a better collection of classic American short stories.
Lucy
I thought I had to read the whole thing, so I read all the stories the summer of 2003. Turns out that this was not the case, but I learned a lot.
Lisa Hern
This wasn't an average anthology. It included a number of lesser known works from great authors, many I hadn't read before.
elissa
includes the standards (perkins gilman, bradbury, beecher stowe) but also some you don't find in a lot of comps. worth the weeding.
Heather
This is a great collection. A lot of the standards as well as some stories you don't see as often. A good creative mix.
Robin Martin
Read my review of this book in an upcoming issue of the San Francisco Book Review and the Sacramento Book Review.
Joseph Kavajecz
Bouncing around through various stories but very good. A good start in the study of literature.
Michael Ryder
Nothing short of an outstanding collection of short stories.
Lisa
I love the stories in this book. From Hemingway to Poe and everything between.
Erin O'Neill
My favorite short story anthology of all time....a wonderful, wonderful book!
Bucket
tell-tale heart, edgar allen poethe school, donald barthelme
Good anthology of American short stories over time.
Arturo Rodriguez
College book :/ good stories
Beth Wheeler
Great anthology.
Jennejacob
Jennejacob marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Siobahn
Siobahn marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • The Art of the Story: An International Anthology of Contemporary Short Stories
  • The Best American Short Stories of the Century
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Package 2: Volumes C, D, and E
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2008
  • The Best American Essays 2004
  • The Best American Short Stories 2011
  • The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: Fifty North American American Stories Since 1970
  • O. Henry Prize Stories 2007
  • The Oxford Book of Irish Short Stories
  • Fifty Great Short Stories
Joyce Carol Oates is a recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She is also the recipient of the 2005 Prix Femina for The Falls. She is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and she has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978. Pseudonyms ... Rosamond Smith and Laure ...more
More about Joyce Carol Oates...
We Were the Mulvaneys The Falls The Gravedigger's Daughter Blonde Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang