Start by marking “The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #1)

The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,308 Ratings  ·  771 Reviews
Dr. Charlotte Stone sees what others do not.

A sought-after expert in criminal pathology, Charlie regularly sits face-to-face with madmen. Obsessed with learning what makes human monsters commit terrible crimes, Charlie desires little else from life—no doubt because when she was sixteen, she herself survived a serial killer’s bloodbath: A man butchered the family of Charlie
Published August 7th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Victim, please sign up.

Samantha Hall I'm obsessed with the Night Huntress series!!! I can tell you that this book is definitely worth it. It's not quite as intense as Cat and Bones but…moreI'm obsessed with the Night Huntress series!!! I can tell you that this book is definitely worth it. It's not quite as intense as Cat and Bones but you still get a good sizzle of romance in this book. Girls love their bad boys and Garland is definitely a bad boy. (less)

Jonetta
Charlotte (Charlie) Stone is a psychiatrist who is studying serial killers at a prison when she is approached by FBI agent Tony Bartoli to assist on an murder/abduction case. It's almost identical to one she witnessed when she was 17-years old. Before leaving the prison, one of her study participants is shanked and dies while she attempts to save him. Unfortunately, his ghost decides to hang around.

The story begins so interestingly, with heightened tension around Charlie's horrific experience as
Vicki
Apr 28, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
This is the start of the series and what an amazing series it is. Dr. Charlotte Stone is an expert on Serial Killers. She had escaped one when she was a teenager and she has been obsessed with figuring out what causes them ever sense.
She is working with Michael Garland when he is murdered. His spirit attaches its self to her. She tries not to get emotionally involved with the ghost, but he is a very attractive ghost. He teases her and tempts her and Charlie finds herself just too fascinated by
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Wont continue this series.(Tried to read again.)

Did one of my favorite romantic suspense authors really write this??
The author takes a walk on the ghostly side with this weird paranormal thriller. A police proceural crossed with a ghost story,and a hunt for a serial killer that is rather creepy in many ways.
SUMMARY:
When she was a teen,Dr. Charlotte Stone was the only survivor of the Boardwalk Killer. It was that event that caused Charlie to become a leading expert in serial killers. One day,whil
Nicole
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/08/13/...

I was looking forward to trying Robards, because so many people talked up just how wonderful her romantic suspense books are. I was a little hesitant because this was a new paranormal series, but I like paranormal as well, so I figured all would work out. Yeah, not so much.

Charlie has dedicated her life to studying serial killers after the traumatic event of her childhood. The last thing she ever expected was to be tapped by
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

I jumped at the chance to read the first book in Karen Robard's newest series with its intriguing premise. Dr Charlie Stone studies serial killers, the motivation her own narrow escape from the Boardwalk Killer as a teenager. It has been 15 years since that terrible night but it seems the Boardwalk Killer, or a copycat, has surfaced and the FBI need Charlie's help if they hope to save his latest victim. Using her expertise in profiling, and her hidden ability to see the spirits of the newly dead
Regan
Nov 04, 2012 Regan rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. As a psychic medium, and someone who studied criminal psychology/forensics in college in hopes to become a profiler who used her gifts, I really related to the main character in this book. She was awesome. I really enjoyed the humor between her and her spirit attachment "Garland." I know there is a lot of talk amongst those who have reviewed the book regarding the main character's love interest with a "serial killer" spirit. I wasn't bothered by it for a coupl ...more
Carl Brookins
Aug 16, 2012 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it

This first novel in a new series by this veteran writer is a ghost story. A romantic hot ghost story. I’m not a fan of ghost or paranormal stories. It’s not that I don’t believe in the possibility of another dimension or two. I do, but too often the paranormal element in a good crime fiction novel breeds sloppiness. Not in this case.

All too often, the inclusion of a strong romantic element in a good crime novel is just a way for the novelist to beef up a weak plot line. Not in this novel. There’
Alex is The Romance Fox
Last Victim by Karen Robards first book in her new Dr. Charlotte Stone Series.
is a psychological paranormal romance and suspense thriller.
Charlotte (Charlie) Stone is a leading expert in criminal psychology and specializes in studying serial killers. As part of her research, she’s interviewing Michael Garland a serial killer in prison, when the FBI arrives asking for her help in finding a missing teenager, who they believe has been kidnapped by a copycat of The Boardwalker Killer. Charlie was t
Denise McDonald
Nov 11, 2012 Denise McDonald rated it really liked it
Yvonne
Aug 16, 2012 Yvonne rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-august
This really hit the spot. I was in the mood for something dark and suspenseful and this book delivered. I love Karen Robards, her villains are really creepy and the romances are nicely developed. My issue with this book was the same as a few other reviewers, I just had a hard time with the romance between the heroine and Michael. I don't want to give anything away, but the romance was really creepy and difficult to get into. I can't imagine that KR won't exonerate Michael - please!

J. Lynne
Jun 24, 2013 J. Lynne rated it liked it
Christine
Jun 12, 2013 Christine rated it it was ok
This rating is based on the unabridged audio edition read by Ann Marie Lee.

What happens when you combine an author who loves adjective and adverbs of every size, shape and color with a narrator with a very soft and emotive voice? You get an experience that I would have slept through if all the eye-rolling hadn’t kept me awake.

Honestly, the premise of the story was pretty good, if not very original. The main character is the lone survivor and witness to a series of serial murders that occurred fi
Vettech
Jun 11, 2013 Vettech rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was a great read!! Full of suspense, murder, a hunky ghost, a hunky FBI guy and romance of a sort to boot~~

This was the first book in a new series featuring Dr. Charlotte Stone, a psychologist with a special gift...she sees dead people!!

The story surrounds the investigation into the Boardwalk Serial Killer. When the killer was revealed at the book, my jaw hit the ground.

I look forward to reading the next book in this wonderful series, which comes out in mid-August.

For those of y
Wendy
Oct 08, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: oct-12
The Last Victim is my first novel by Karen Robards. It is a non-stop page-turning paranormal romance filled with suspense.
An excellent fast-paced tale of murder, FBR profilers and psychics.

I enjoyed the characters both living and dead and hope to see them in future novels.

I look forward to the sequel of this book and also plan to read her romantic suspense novels.
Clarry
Reading an advanced copy from a first-reads giveaway.

Editing notes: Pg 27 (spelling error), 74 (weird paragraph break), 77 (paragraph break), 160 (change between third/first person narration), 215 (sp), 218 (space needed between words), 314 (paragraph break), 317 (missing period).

I love the goodreads giveaways and the fact that they give me a chance to read different genres that I may not otherwise seek out to read. I do not wish to rate this book since I am not personally enjoying it, and don
Wynn
Aug 19, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I received this book through goodreads first reads. I was doubly excited to receive it because i am a big Karen Robards fan. I have thoroughly enjoyed every book that i have read of hers, thus far.
However, i was bit worried as to how I would enjoy this book. The book has an added paranormal element to it, unlike the rest of her romantic suspense books. The paranormal realm doesn't bug me at all, but what really threw me off was the fact that the main character, charlie, falls somewhat in love w
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Jan 15, 2013 Lyn (Readinghearts) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: Netgalley
The Last Victim by Karen Robards is the first book in her new Dr. Charlotte Stone series. Although Robards is an established author in the romantic suspense genre, this is the first book of hers that I have read. As such, I am not sure that it was the best book for me to start with. For one, I like romantic suspense that is a bit more heavy on he suspense than the romance. In the end, there were things about this book that I really liked, and some that bothered me.

Dr. Charlotte Stone is a survi
Morgan Wyatt
Jul 30, 2013 Morgan Wyatt rated it it was ok
The Last Victim by Karen Robards is one of her latest romantic suspense stories with a paranormal twist. Ms. Robards’ reputation is for writing edgy tales often with high body counts and serious blood. This book is no different, or is it? The romantic hero is a dead serial killer. Yep, you’ve read that right.

Charlie, our obsessed conflicted heroine, witnessed a serial killing when just in her teens. That marked her so much that she decides to study serial killers for the rest of her life. Yep, y
Lynsey A
OK. Skeevy doesn't even begin to describe this book. It's not the first time I've read a book where the hero is a ghost but when said ghost is a serial killer....well just not for me.

Now in all honesty I didn't get too far but the way the story was going it made me uneasy so I read some reviews and then skimmed thru. The ending was kind of open ended and I want my HEA and not with a ghost who is a supposed serial killer.

Normally I like her romantic suspense books but this was too much for me.
Jacqueline
Well I see that my GRs friends that read this did not like it. So I was hesitant to read it but a friend and I decided to read it together. One of the biggest drawbacks people seem to have is that the hero is a dead serial killer. I suspect that Garland is going to turn out not to be guilty of that at least. Since this series continues on with the same two characters we will find out more about his guilt or innocence.

The story was really readable. I liked the interplay between the two. The dial
Terri
Charlie is a Psychiatrist currently studying/interviewing convicted serial killers when the FBI comes in to have her help with capturing the killer who has killed several families and has kidnapped a teenage girl. this mirrors the crimes of The Boardwalk Killer who she escaped 15 years before. Whether it is the same killer or a copycat remains to be seen but rescuing the girl is the top priority.

Her past haunts her as does her unique sidekick, the ghost of a convicted serial killer, as she tries
Ade
Dec 01, 2014 Ade rated it it was ok
I was expecting Silence of the lambs and I got Casper the friendly ghost.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
THE LAST VICTIM
(Dr. Charlotte Stone: #1)
Written by Karen Robards
2012, 321 Pages
Genre: romantic suspense, mystery, paranormal

My first book by Karen Robards was Superstition - a romantic-suspense with paranormal elements. I enjoyed the storyline, characters and found it quite good on the suspense scale. I have since read several books by Robards and on the whole have really liked them. In 2012, while at the library I picked up her newest novel in hardcover, The Last Victim. I had not read the sy
Cherise
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Dr. Charlotte Stone (Charlie) is an expert on serial killers. Since she became the sole survivor of an extreme tragedy 15 years ago she has made the psychology of those that kill her life’s work. She doesn’t advertise her past and pretty much lives a solitary existence and keeps a few big secrets.

When the FBI asks her to help catch a serial killer, she reluctantly agrees even though it pushes her to face a lot of her traumatizing past.
Marlene
Sep 22, 2012 Marlene rated it liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

The Last Victim is one of those books that didn't know what it wanted to be when it grew up. Maybe got finished would be the better way of putting that. Even after writing a dual review with Lea over at Book Lovers Inc. I still can't get this one out of my head (not in a good way) so I'm taking another stab at it. Or stabbing it again.

It starts out as a mystery/suspense/thriller with a paranormal twist. Charlie Stone is the only survivor of a brutal serial
 ♑Namita♑
3.5 stars.

Making out with the ghost didn't anything for me except gross me out. Hence the 3.5 rating.
Margaret Muir
Apr 19, 2015 Margaret Muir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ignore every other review on this page!

This book was so much fun! I think many (not all) of the negative reviewers either didn't read the whole book, or didn't pay attention to some of the more subtle aspects that were hinted at.

This book was fun, the plot twists were many, the men were hot, and the sex was hotter. That's all you need to know!

Seriously, this book kept me on the edge of my seat. I read 1-3 in 3 days. Each one leaves off with an awesome hook! Can't wait for #4 to come out.

Many peo
Christine
Jul 22, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
Dr. Stone sees the ghosts of the recently, violently departed. She also studies serial killers in federal prison. Oh, and she survived a serial killer when she as a teenager.

This, er, peaceful existence is overturned when the Boardwalk Killer -- the man she escaped 15 years ago -- starts killing again. Or a copy cat. Either way, the FBI wants her help.

And then one of her serial killer subjects is suddenly, violently murdered in prison. She tries to save him, but fails and instead ends up being
Linda
Mar 22, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Forced to flee for her life after her new friend and her family were murdered in their home, Charlie Stone hoped that she wouldn't be next and fled for help.........

Years later, Dr. Stone was much sought in her role as a criminal pathologist, she sat face to face with serial killers. At sixteen she had faced her own madman and with her describing the killer he went underground. Now, the boardwalk killer has resurfaced and he has struck again or a copycat and she's asked for her help to return to
J.D. Robb : Dec. Monthly Book Discussion - The Last Victim by Karen Robards (SPOILER ZONE) 49 38 Dec 14, 2015 09:58PM
2-3-4 Challenge: Buddy Read - The Last Victim by Karen Robards 5 13 Oct 25, 2015 09:52PM
Why the negativity? 7 56 Nov 22, 2013 09:21AM
Ghostly Romance? 12 73 Oct 18, 2013 10:30AM
  • The Night Visitor
  • Haven (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #13)
  • The Kill List (Jamie Sinclair, #1)
  • The Stranger You Know (Forensic Instincts #3)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Cold Girl (BC Blues Crime, #1)
  • Read the Flower: The Beautiful Beginning (Fleur Passages #1)
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens #2)
  • Darkness Rising
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)
  • Night Moves (Shadow Force, #4)
  • Close Your Eyes (Kendra Michael, #1)
  • Don't Cry for Me (Rebel Ridge, #2)
  • Glass House 51
  • Heron's Cove (Sharpe & Donovan, #2)
  • Inked Magic (Inked Magic, #1)
  • If You Know Her (The Ash Trilogy, #3)
Karen was born in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She has been writing since she was very young, and was first published nationally in the December 1973 Reader's Digest. She sold her first romance novel, ISLAND FLAME, when she was 24. It was published by Leisure Books in 1981 and is still in print. After that, she dropped out of law school to pursue her writing career. Today she is a regular on the New ...more
More about Karen Robards...

Dr. Charlotte Stone (4 books)
  • The Last Kiss Goodbye (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #2)
  • Her Last Whisper (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #3)
  • The Last Time I Saw Her (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #4)