Start by marking “Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living” as Want to Read:

"Little House in the Suburbs" will teach readers how to incorporate homesteading principles into their lives while staying within the comfort of the suburbs. Readers will learn the fundamentals of gardening--from what, when and how to plant--presented with options for container gardening, raised-bed gardening, traditional gardening and even covert gardening where they blen

Published February 13th 2012 by Betterway Home (first published January 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Little House in the Suburbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little House in the Suburbs

Adrith Bicchieri
Feb 07, 2015 Adrith Bicchieri rated it it was amazing
This book - are you sitting down? - has us considering chickens.

I don't even know who this person is I'm becoming.
Katie J Schwartz
Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living is basically a beginner's field guide for simple living when the place you live in happens to be suburbia, and not a farm. Included is a vast wealth of information on backyard gardening, keeping small livestock such as chickens and goats, directions for homemade items like soap and deodorant, and much, MUCH more.

I am so glad that I read this book. I want to try pretty much everything in it (Except for beekee
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Looking to make your own homemade skin care or cleaning products, or start a co-op, or want tips on gardening? This is a great resource for those wanting to be more self-sufficient in any setting, or those who want to make cheaper homemade products free of chemicals. It includes sections on raising animals (like bees and goats), gardening, starting your own co-op with neighbors, and many different ways to make your own homemade products, whether it be laundry detergent or lotion. I found section ...more
NixLapi
Aug 03, 2014 NixLapi rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, reference
A great starter for how to set-up a suburban backyard homestead. I picked this one up mainly for the gardening portion, and while I skipped the chicken and goat chapters completely, the chapters on bees, preserving and DIY beauty and cleaning products were great primers.

Written by two friends, with two separate homesteads I enjoyed both their witty writing and the two different view points. One might love the process and one might prefer an easier get-er-done way for the same activity.

The genera
Laura Talley
Dec 10, 2012 Laura Talley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
GREAT resource for beginners! I wish I had this book last spring. My garden wouldn't have been nearly so pathetic! I was going to give up after 2 years of garden failure, but now I want to try again.
Ami
May 12, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
Finally, a book about self-sufficiency that only focuses on suburbia! Great pictures, multiple points of view and opinions, and detailed personal experience makes this book a winner.
Sara
Apr 05, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
I'm totally digging this book. It is witty and has a ton of great recipes for all sorts of things. It is one of those library books that I'm going to have to run out an purchase.
Tandie
Feb 24, 2016 Tandie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in raising chickens
Excellent book discussing many different types of self sufficiency skills in a fun, modern way. Topics range from gardening & having a chicken coop to raising goats in a suburban area.
Jenn
May 25, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Great information, inspiration. Surprisingly entertaining. Oh, how I want chickens!
Candi
Apr 14, 2015 Candi rated it really liked it
This is VERY cool for people who want to learn more home skills but don't know where to start.

It's pretty much the crunchy manifesto: Everything from composting and beginning backyard gardening (containers, raised beds, rows) and pest control; how to care for backyard chickens and mini goats and how to be a small suburban beekeeper; easy canning and recipes galore; how to make your own skincare products to household cleaners and laundry soap. It's pretty thorough, but in small, sensible chunks.
Linda
May 04, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Cool book that gives sound advice in a creative, sometimes funny way.
Slee
Sep 17, 2012 Slee rated it really liked it
The only thing I didn't like about this book is the fact that it made me want goats and chickens as pets for my kids. Slyly, it avoided talking about the inherent problem with animal ownership: someone has to care for those animals, even when you're not there, and therefore travel is complicated. Obviously, this means I should not be a goat or hen owner.

This is supposed to be a book review, not a discussion on why I shouldn't own farm animals, inside the village limits, that my son would love t
Drue
Jun 28, 2013 Drue rated it really liked it
Two women give a first hand look on how to make a simple life possible in the suburbs. With descriptions on how to raise your own flock of chickens, goats, bees and vegetable garden, and how to make your own natural cleaning supplies (both for house and body), this book is a great starting point for people interested in self sufficiency.
Pros:
Succinct information on lots of pertinent topics
Two people = two ways of doing things. Maybe one of the writers does something that doesn't sound appealin
Kim
Jan 19, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
A lovely little book that never preaches, but offers small and large ways to become more self-sufficient, without having to move to the country. If you want to grow your own food, it will show you ways that range from container gardening, to raised beds or conventional beds. It has helpful charts to get you started, and suggestions for what you can do with that healthy homegrown food. It also shares recipes for homemade products - from household cleaners, to health and beauty aids - and some won ...more
Lisa
Dec 31, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Two women (different families), basically farming in the suburbs. I liked it because we are like-minded and there were many recipes included, everything from homemade salad dressing to lotions and cleaning products. It really is easy to become more self-sufficient. If you want to get back to basics, check this out.
Casey
Jan 03, 2016 Casey rated it it was amazing
This book included just enough information about each topic for me to decide whether I'd be interested in it or not. I thought it was engaging and funny, and really appreciated all of the resources they listed out.
Elizabeth Lucas
Sep 25, 2015 Elizabeth Lucas rated it really liked it
I need this book! I borrowed a copy from the library and now I am hooked. I want chickens and a bigger garden. I love all the tips and recipes in this book. My husband is a little worried that I am going full blown hippie. I had to skip the chapter on goats because I would want one. Great book!
Judy
Jun 21, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing
loads of info about becoming self-sufficient while living in the suburbs. great info, not in depth, but a great starter book for those that are interested in the topic.
Flahr
Dec 31, 2014 Flahr rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, nf
This book is a wonderful encyclopedia sort of thing. And someday I hope to have the energy and interest to look at & practice more of what's in here!
Mickie
Dec 16, 2012 Mickie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! Smart and funny. I read it in two sittings...the authors are funny and down-to-Earth. I laughed and agreed with their no nonsense and realistic views on living with kids, spouses and the occasional chicken. I call it granola and the call it Whole Wheat living but either way it looks like the best of both urban and rural living. This made me laugh we discussing whether or not to pasteurize eggs for homemade mayo:

"Frankly, I only did it two times. It's a lot of effort. And I d
Emily
Feb 10, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
Love this book for its accessibility! makes it all seem doable. Also for convincing my husband mini-goats are better than dogs!
Mary Sauer
Aug 23, 2014 Mary Sauer rated it really liked it
Helpful. I appreciated that they shares two three ideas for the best way tondo each things, instead of overwhelming the reader with options.
Dru MacPherson
Feb 04, 2016 Dru MacPherson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Easy read. Practical advice for the urban gardener. For those of us who care about where food comes from and health.
Vienna
Mar 21, 2014 Vienna rated it really liked it
Good Info, Fun Recipes and Honest presentation.

Also, how cool are mini goats?
Lisa Gallagher
Aug 11, 2016 Lisa Gallagher rated it liked it
This book is best when exploring the ways that folks living in the suburbs (and even the cities) can get back to nature with gardening, beekeeping and other mini-agricultural pursuits. Lost me at the back section of the book all about making my own beauty and home products. Not that there's anything wrong with people wanting to learn that, I was just hoping for more specific how-to's on setting up and tending long-term to a small backyard vegetable garden.
Melmo
May 23, 2013 Melmo rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful book about becoming more self sustainable and owning small livestock in an increasingly urban world.
The authors keep it lively and enjoyable while imparting some great nuggets of wisdom. However they are not incredibly detailed on all of the topics so if you're interested in something you will have to do some additional research. This book is geared mainly for beginners so for those experienced in the field you can expect some redundancy.
Chuck T
Sep 12, 2013 Chuck T rated it liked it
It was good. Very basic and simple guide to things you can do to decrease your dependence on the corporate food chain and supermarkets. The benefits being - better quality nutrition and greater resilience to any food chain disruption. Takes work and effort but these simple steps are doable to whatever extent you can manage given your time, space, and local legal restrictions. A good overview of what is possible.
Heather Sparkman
May 20, 2012 Heather Sparkman rated it it was amazing
A fun book (with pictures) on "self-sufficient living" - whether you're looking to keep chickens and goats, grow and can tomatoes, or make your own soap, there's plenty of helpful but laid back information. The author's are especially helpful in sharing their own mistakes to put the reader at ease: anyone can make these ideas work to create their own suburban farm. Worth taking a glance!
Rachael  Telford
Jan 16, 2014 Rachael Telford rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It makes our plans for this summer feel doable, and not overwhelming. The book is instructional, but encouraging and conversation. Superglad I bought it.
Colin Price
A little on the simple side, offering a broad overview of urban farming and first-hand accounts from two families. The information is not exhaustive or terribly detailed but the authors make it clear that their intention was not to provide such a guidebook. Instead it is a lighthearted andencouraging read with a smattering of useful recipes and suggestions.
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create
  • Backyard Farming On An Acre (More Or Less)
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • The Quarter-Acre Farm: How I kept the patio, lost the lawn, and fed my family for a year
  • Homesteading: A Backyard Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • Keeping Bees with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Tend Hives, Harvest Honey & More
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Living in the Heart of the City (Process Self-Reliance Series)
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner: 25 Ways to Build a Self-Reliant Lifestyle
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own
I write children's books, I'm more famous in my area for my pets! See my new book Little House in the Suburbs and videos uploaded below and the newspaper links here, here, here, here, and here.
More about Deanna Caswell...