3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  31 reviews

"Little House in the Suburbs" will teach readers how to incorporate homesteading principles into their lives while staying within the comfort of the suburbs. Readers will learn the fundamentals of gardening--from what, when and how to plant--presented with options for container gardening, raised-bed gardening, traditional gardening and even covert gardening where they blen

Published February 13th 2012 by Betterway Home (first published January 16th 2012)

Katie
Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living is basically a beginner's field guide for simple living when the place you live in happens to be suburbia, and not a farm. Included is a vast wealth of information on backyard gardening, keeping small livestock such as chickens and goats, directions for homemade items like soap and deodorant, and much, MUCH more.

I am so glad that I read this book. I want to try pretty much everything in it (Except for beekee...more
Laura Talley
GREAT resource for beginners! I wish I had this book last spring. My garden wouldn't have been nearly so pathetic! I was going to give up after 2 years of garden failure, but now I want to try again.
Ami
Finally, a book about self-sufficiency that only focuses on suburbia! Great pictures, multiple points of view and opinions, and detailed personal experience makes this book a winner.
Sara
I'm totally digging this book. It is witty and has a ton of great recipes for all sorts of things. It is one of those library books that I'm going to have to run out an purchase.
Tandie
Dec 17, 2012 Tandie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in raising chickens
Shelves: non-fic
Excellent book discussing many different types of self sufficiency skills in a fun, modern way. Topics range from gardening & having a chicken coop to raising goats in a suburban area.
Jenn
Great information, inspiration. Surprisingly entertaining. Oh, how I want chickens!
Linda
Cool book that gives sound advice in a creative, sometimes funny way.
Slee
The only thing I didn't like about this book is the fact that it made me want goats and chickens as pets for my kids. Slyly, it avoided talking about the inherent problem with animal ownership: someone has to care for those animals, even when you're not there, and therefore travel is complicated. Obviously, this means I should not be a goat or hen owner.

This is supposed to be a book review, not a discussion on why I shouldn't own farm animals, inside the village limits, that my son would love t...more
Drue
Two women give a first hand look on how to make a simple life possible in the suburbs. With descriptions on how to raise your own flock of chickens, goats, bees and vegetable garden, and how to make your own natural cleaning supplies (both for house and body), this book is a great starting point for people interested in self sufficiency.
Pros:
Succinct information on lots of pertinent topics
Two people = two ways of doing things. Maybe one of the writers does something that doesn't sound appealin...more
Kim
A lovely little book that never preaches, but offers small and large ways to become more self-sufficient, without having to move to the country. If you want to grow your own food, it will show you ways that range from container gardening, to raised beds or conventional beds. It has helpful charts to get you started, and suggestions for what you can do with that healthy homegrown food. It also shares recipes for homemade products - from household cleaners, to health and beauty aids - and some won...more
Judy
loads of info about becoming self-sufficient while living in the suburbs. great info, not in depth, but a great starter book for those that are interested in the topic.
Mickie
I enjoyed this book! Smart and funny. I read it in two sittings...the authors are funny and down-to-Earth. I laughed and agreed with their no nonsense and realistic views on living with kids, spouses and the occasional chicken. I call it granola and the call it Whole Wheat living but either way it looks like the best of both urban and rural living. This made me laugh we discussing whether or not to pasteurize eggs for homemade mayo:

"Frankly, I only did it two times. It's a lot of effort. And I d...more
Nihal
this book is for the absolute beginner. seasoned pinterest users with interest on the subject can completely avoid it. as it is a collection of pinterest pins in a book. might come handy but lack of detailed information makes this book s bit dull. i'd much prefer a more personal book with their experiences than a collection of how-tos
Vienna
Good Info, Fun Recipes and Honest presentation.

Also, how cool are mini goats?
Melmo
This is a delightful book about becoming more self sustainable and owning small livestock in an increasingly urban world.
The authors keep it lively and enjoyable while imparting some great nuggets of wisdom. However they are not incredibly detailed on all of the topics so if you're interested in something you will have to do some additional research. This book is geared mainly for beginners so for those experienced in the field you can expect some redundancy.
Chuck T
It was good. Very basic and simple guide to things you can do to decrease your dependence on the corporate food chain and supermarkets. The benefits being - better quality nutrition and greater resilience to any food chain disruption. Takes work and effort but these simple steps are doable to whatever extent you can manage given your time, space, and local legal restrictions. A good overview of what is possible.
Heather Sparkman
A fun book (with pictures) on "self-sufficient living" - whether you're looking to keep chickens and goats, grow and can tomatoes, or make your own soap, there's plenty of helpful but laid back information. The author's are especially helpful in sharing their own mistakes to put the reader at ease: anyone can make these ideas work to create their own suburban farm. Worth taking a glance!
Rachael  Telford
Loved this book. It makes our plans for this summer feel doable, and not overwhelming. The book is instructional, but encouraging and conversation. Superglad I bought it.
Colin Price
A little on the simple side, offering a broad overview of urban farming and first-hand accounts from two families. The information is not exhaustive or terribly detailed but the authors make it clear that their intention was not to provide such a guidebook. Instead it is a lighthearted andencouraging read with a smattering of useful recipes and suggestions.
Lori
I really enjoyed this. Practical tips for the dabblers, and the serious suburban homesteaders. I like to think that I'm somewhere between the two. The fact that the authors share their information in a non-preachy, non-judgy way was my favorite aspect!
Lex
Great book! A lot of it was outside the scope of what I can do (bees), but for gardening, composting, etc its a great resource. The sample garden plan was a great start, and the companion planting chart in the back helped me modify it
Julie
I loved this book! It was easy to read with plenty of pictures showing the different things involved. It made me excited to make a few changes to my yard and garden this coming year. Maybe even add some goats. Who knows?
sylas
An accessible, straight-forward book for people new to this stuff. Not the most in-depth or useful book for me.
Mary
I loved this book. I am really interested in renewing my garden and adding some backyard chickens. This was the perfect overview and just enough information. I also loved the recipes.
Jade
Sep 22, 2013 Jade rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
There were many sloppy typos. Every single converstion from imperial to metric was laughable.

As a goatkeeper, the chapter on goats could be considered exceptionally misleading.
Laura June
This is a great book for those who are thinking about trying a more sustainable lifestyle in their current suburban space. I can't wait to try some new things this spring!
Diane Brown
A lot of great ideas to live more greenly, for everyone, not just for suburbanites. Has good info on gardening, chickens, beekeeping, homemade lotions and candles.
Dominique Egbers
Great book for those really wanting to dig deep in the suburbs. Lots of practical knowledge, fun projects and colorful pictures. Very inspiring for those on the edge
Danielle
Down-to-earth writing packed with information on a variety of homesteading practices, including keeping goats, keeping hens, beekeeping, gardening, and cleaning house.
Amanda
Great general overview which includes gardening plans and recipes for food and skincare and household cleaners. Also very funny.
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • The Quarter-Acre Farm: How I kept the patio, lost the lawn, and fed my family for a year
  • Homesteading: A Backyard Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Survival Mom: How to Prepare Your Family for Everyday Disasters and Worst-Case Scenarios
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
  • Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
I write children's books, I'm more famous in my area for my pets! See my new book Little House in the Suburbs and videos uploaded below and the newspaper links here, here, here, here, and here.
More about Deanna Caswell...
Train Trip First Ballet Beach House