Start by marking “The Woman in Silk” as Want to Read:
The Woman in Silk

The Woman in Silk

Captain Hal Stirling is flown to England from Afghanistan after a roadside bomb renders him battered and broken.

Once home, he retreats to his ancestral family seat of Stirling Towers – a gothic mansion that dominates the landscape near the remote Scottish Borders – for a Christmas of quiet recuperation. But on arrival he discovers that his mother, a fanatical spiritualist
Published (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman in Silk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman in Silk

Siobhan
Nov 27, 2015 Siobhan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is why you do not buy gifts in stores when you have no idea what to expect of the book.

It sounded so interesting. PTSD. Hauntings. Questionable characters. Deaths. What was not to love? It turns out the answer to that question is everything – none of it is what you expect.

I’ll start at the beginning, with a story of how I came to read this book.

I was looking for a gift for my friend’s birthday. Like me, said friend is a book lover, so it went without saying what kind of gift she was to be g
Louise
Feb 24, 2012 Louise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the first book in a long time I couldn't wait to finish.
450+ pages and i can't think of anything positive to say.
I only rated it one star as it must have had something going for it to keep me reading to the end.
unsatisfactory to say the least.
Wendy Hamnett
Apr 19, 2012 Wendy Hamnett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
very very confusing
Rowena Vaughan
A brief synopsis of the book: Hal Stirling a bomb disposal expert is suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome after an incident in Afghanistan. He is recuperating back in the UK, when news come of the death of his mother. Hal journeys back to the large, Gothic ancestral home via his married Japanese lovers house. Here the story changes into either a psychological thriller or a horror ghost story depending on how you understood it. The mother and daughter team who had been caring for his mot ...more
Garry Marlton
Dec 11, 2011 Garry Marlton rated it it was ok
They story itself seemed to interest me, but the more I got into the book the more I found I was lost. What was real and what was not? The ending was ok until you then think to yourself was the Japanese Lady real or not because she went to stay with the vicar told him she was having his child, he said I phone you at midnight, he did and could'nt get through and we never heard of her again.
Glynis Hamlett
Jan 07, 2013 Glynis Hamlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts strangely & continues to confuse along through the chapters.. But all becomes clear in the final chapter.. Stick with it- it's worth it..
Poobalan
May 15, 2017 Poobalan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: others
confusing writing
Rachael Dixon
Hmmm, I’ve just finished reading this and I’m not entirely sure how I feel about it.

First let’s start with the positives. I do like the style of the book, lots of it is written in snapshots of prose (some of it very nice prose) and adds to the overall effect of ‘is Hal crazy, is he not?’

It started out being a very intriguing story with an original turn of events, however, after about midway through the book, my enthusiasm started to wane. Here’s why…

I found Gadney to be a little too fond of his
Lainy
Jun 12, 2015 Lainy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 5 days

Publisher - Quercus

Pages - 472

Blurb from Goodreads

Once home, he retreats to his ancestral family seat of Stirling Towers--a gothic mansion that dominates the landscape near the remote Scottish Borders--for a Christmas of quiet recuperation. But on arrival he discovers that his mother, a fanatical spiritualist, has died and been hastily buried.
Isolated from th
Ben
Dec 27, 2011 Ben rated it it was ok
What a shockingly rubbish ending to an OK book.
Throughout the book I was like yeah this book is ok has some good parts. Other parts in the story i was completely lost, not knowing who was dead or alive! He would randomly carry someone to safety who was supposed to be dead then it just wouldnt mention that ever again leaving you thinking what the feck is happening here?! But i thought i shall keep reading surely the ended has got to be some big twist! But alas it never came and when it actually e
Victoria Johnston
Aug 30, 2013 Victoria Johnston rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I didn't really enjoy this book. I thought it was going to be a supernatural thriller - really spooky. Instead it ended up been very disjointed and not particularly scary.

Half the time I wasn;t certain what was going on as the narrative was very odd! The book descended itno some very strange situations that seemed almost reminiscent of fanfiction on the internet where the main character seems to do everything.

Wasn;t quite sure if it was all in the main characters head at the end which just made
Annette Gisby
I promised myself I would never bother reviewing a book if I couldn't give it at least 3 stars, but I have to make an exception for this one. The premise sounded good, was it a ghost story, or was someone just trying to make the main character think he was seeing ghosts?

Some parts were interesting, some were weird and then we come to the ending. Or rather, we're left wondering, was that it? There was no resolution, no denoument, no loose ends tied up. Instead the book just rambled on and just ..
Superangela
I think I am being overly generous by giving this book two stars, but since my 1 star rating went to a book that actually made me throw up I reserve the privilege to a select few :S.
THe story of Hal Stirling was promising, war veteran coming back home to find so many things had changed, his mother passed away, the will had been re-written, what is really going on at 'the towers'...are there really ghosts or is Hal being poisoned? Unfortunately I cannot say what the story was really about because
Jo Barton
Dec 11, 2015 Jo Barton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even sure this merits one star but I've given that for the cover which is what tempted me into parting with good money for a copy.
A disjointed and a poorly executed story about a man who is badly traumatised in an incident which took place when he was serving as a bomb disposal expert in Afghanistan. Returning to his family home, he is confronted by more tragedy and a series of unlikely events makes him start to question his judgement.
I wanted to like this book but didn't , so in the en
Emily Best
i'm going to give this book 2.5* - solely based on the writing.

i seriously enjoyed this book. i thought the plot was fantastic, and i had an inkling that there was something dodgy going on with the nurses.

the only thing that let me
down about this book is that i feel like a fair bit of the book could probably have been cut out - and that there could have been parts which could have had less written about them but then there were other bits that didn't have enough about them!!

get a decent edito
Julie Round
I thought I was going to like this book as I had just given up on a very boring war story and this seemed to be lively and interesting.
Somehow it just got worse and worse. I read to the end but it was so rushed and oddly gory, as if someone had told the author to finish it quickly and add some horror, that I was very disappointed.
Nicola
Apr 17, 2016 Nicola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the thriller style aspect of it, had some good twists and unknowns but hard work to read, overly descriptive at points.
Khalekan
Dec 28, 2016 Khalekan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-2016
Dreadful book
Tara Lewis
Feb 01, 2014 Tara Lewis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely awful. This is possibly the worst written, most lazily plotted book I have ever read.
Gemma
Nov 19, 2016 Gemma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was horrendous. I had no idea what was going on. Nothing made sense. I made myself finish this book in a day because I needed to get it out the way. It was a total waste of my time though. Avoid!!
Diane
Review to come soon.
Rehab
Mar 15, 2016 Rehab rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Confusing
Clara Russell
confusing, I was reluctant in reading this in all honesty.
Lauren Hindley
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
claire
claire rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Ruthie Simms
Ruthie Simms rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2015
Ewa Iwaniuk
Ewa Iwaniuk rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2016
Yu
Yu rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2013
Gijane
Gijane rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2015