Doctor Who II Volume 3: It Came from Outer Space

Doctor Who II Volume 3: It Came from Outer Space

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Doctor, Amy, Rory, and new travelling companion Kevin - a cybernetic dinosaur - find a scientific crew under attack from a giant, Cthulhloid space squid. Also, the crew find themselves inside an alien asylum and discover that many of the human patients within actually house the minds of some of the Doctor's most terrifying enemies.
Published March 20th 2012 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who II Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who II Volume 3

Elisa
Oh, where do I start? Well, I picked this one up because I love Doctor Who and I love graphic novels. Plus it stars the Eleventh Doctor, so why not? I'm also a big fan of Tony Lee's work, so it was bound to be good, right? Yeah, not really...

I start reading the first story, "Space Squid," and a few pages in we are introduced to Commander KATIC and Major FILLION. My first thought is, huh... someone's a "Castle" fan. Slightly annoyed that 1) Lee couldn't be bothered to create original character na...more
Kaethe
Natasha and I have been really enjoying these. Kevin is now my favorite character. I recommend the graphic novels and the only associated novel I've so far read, Doctor Who: Plague of the Cybermen, as well as the show itself and the vigorous fandom of Twitter as a good shared-family sort of interest. [Veronica loves the show, but prefers her reading more contemporary and realistic]. The graphic novels are providing a good way for me to keep in parallel with Natasha, even though I'm mostly not re...more
Callie Rose Tyler
2 1/2 Stars

I was tricked, this book has a cool cover but is filled with mediocre stories.

The first story, Space Squid started out very promising! The reader is given a montage of adventures featuring the newly acquired companion Kevin, a T-Rex robot (see Doctor Who II Volume 2: When Worlds Collide). However, the rest of the story is rushed and a feels like it was lazily put together.

Body Snatched Is the next story, and it is the longest; told over 2 issues. This story definitely had the most pot...more
Jeanna
Oct 10, 2012 Jeanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
It's Doctor Who, of course I liked it.
Julia
This is six “short stories” about the Eleventh Doctor told as graphic novels, some have better stories than others, some have jarring art. “Space Squid” has a robot t- rex traveling with Rory, Amy and the Doctor, named Kevin. “Body Snatched” has the Doctor’s and Amy’s personalities switched and this is one whose art I don’t like. “Silent Knight” is a nearly wordless adventure where the Doctor and Santa help each other out.
Shannon Appelcline
“Space Squid” is fun mostly for its inclusion of Kevin, but otherwise is pretty forgettable [6/10]. “Body Switched” feels equally light, with its main strength being the body switching premise, which is never used to particularly great effect [6/10]. “Silent Knight” is totally shallow but fun & funny; it’s actually a comic without words done well, which is pretty rare [7/10]. Flakov’s “Run, Doctor, Run” is unfortunately even more shallow, so that there’s nothing to it [5/10]. The last two st...more
Jacquie
The third installment was wonderful, full of awesome stories. The first is "Space Squid" which is about, well, a giant space squid. Team TARDIS has picked up a new companion too...a robotic T-Rex named Kevin. The other stories are "Body Snatched" in which there is some pretty crazy/funny body switching, "Silent Knight" a short one with no dialogue about the Doctor saving Christmas, "Run, Doctor, Run" where the Doctor meets a race of gravitational shifters (think M.C. Escher), "Down to Earth" abo...more
Francesco
Interessante, ma non è altro che un'antologia di storie brevi non collegate tra loro
Megan Anderson
I absolutely love the "Kevin" story. So much fun! Dinosaurs hooray!
Paul Warner
Excellent collection of 6 additional Doctor Who adventures in graphic novel format, all taking place with Doctor #11, Amy Pond, & Rory. My personal favorite moments were when Amy & The Doctor switch bodies, and when Amy raises an army to defeat evil using only a spork! :)
David
The largest portion of the book, the story illustrated by Michael Dow Smith is terrific. He's a wonderful artist, very Mike Mignola-esque. And that story is just as good as you'd see on TV. The other stories are forgettable fluff.
Katie
Who plus nerd-culture references (Castle, Portal, Escher) AND the coolest robot T-Rex named Kevin that you'll ever meet.
Charlotte
A robotic dinosaur companion called Kevin and a Doctor-Amy body swap. What's not to like.
Sean Kennedy
(3.5 / 5)

Good stories let down by poor artwork.
Dave Jones
Very enjoyable read.
Joshua
AWESOME!!!
Antonio
Antonio marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Miska
Miska added it
Sep 15, 2014
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Melissa Francis
Melissa Francis marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sharon
Sharon is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Doctor Who: The Widow's Curse Doctor Who: The Crimson Hand Mind the Gap Volume 3: Out of Bodies Doctor Who: The Child of Time T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Vol. 1