Start by marking “Keep Mama Dead” as Want to Read:
Keep Mama Dead

Keep Mama Dead

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In 1905 of this alternate history, in a country located between Arizona and Utah, 19-year-old Thomas Baker has accepted that his mother won't last out the day. She's used up all her second life days, and won't live again.

People should respect someone's wishes to stay dead, but Thomas's family will try to resurrect her. They need her to work the farm and cook their meals. T
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Keep Mama Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Mama Dead

Whitney Oaks
I had every intention to give this Amazon freebie a 5 star review until I got to the ending. I am highly upset about what happened and I even cried. I don't even have words to describe how horrified I am. It was still a good read and I enjoyed all but the last bit.
Steven
I love an author who does his homework. This book has zombies in it, but not the George Romero variety that have overwhelmed popular culture ad nauseum. Nelson has gone back to the spiritual beliefs and practices of Central Africa where the idea of zombies originated, and postulates the effect of those beliefs on Western Civilization at the end of the 19th Century. And I have to say he does so convincingly, given the requisite willing suspension of disbelief,of course.
I have never had any desir
Ciscokid
I have to admit that I didn't think I'd like this book, or even read past the first chapter. I downloaded it for free and decided to try it just because of the title,expecting something silly that I wouldn't like. Boy, was I wrong. I couldn't put it down once I got into the story. I thought the characters were well developed and the story surprising interesting. I liked the "twist" on the whole zombie thing.....since I was really expecting the usual "brain eating zombies that take over the world ...more
Kati
'Keep Mama Dead' is self-published, and although well written, the lack of professional editing does show in some places. The prose isn't fully polished, there are rare but present grammatical errors, and a few details where the book contradicts itself or has a math error. That said, none of these are severe enough to make the book difficult to read, and it is a darn good story. It normally takes me between 2 weeks and a month to read a book of this length; I blasted through this in just over a ...more
Susan
Really different. Very interesting book. Has zombies but really isn't about zombies. A lot about life in the guise of a really interesting and very unusual story.
Brooke
I loved this book. It's a bit YA, but I found it to be well written, interesting, and awkwardly comical.
Cyrano
Nineteenth century Utah Territory farmers deal with drought, family, and zombies.
This was fun. An inventive magic system and a unique world. There were a few times I was frustrated by the 'mysterious puzzlers' which were about as obvious to me as the murder mystery that has two characters (perhaps this was written as a YA book, and the author felt he had to be less subtle?) but the characters felt comfortable and I was always keen to find out what happened next.
Warning: A dog dies, so if you wer
Wendy
I really quite enjoyed this book. The idea was an interesting one. The author could have done a little better job with explaining more about the blessings and second life days, but other than that the story moves at a good pace and has a very interesting story line. I have read several reviews that complained about the ending so I kept expecting some horrible ending, but I was actually quite please with the ending. Everything came together and the story worked itself out. I will definitely be ke ...more
Julie Mangan
Keep Mama Dead was a fun read that kept me emotionally involved with the characters to the last page. Even the cattle... but I digress. The descriptions utilized by the writer were picturesque. The characters were people I could empathize with/detest right along with Thomas. Action flowed naturally with the plot making it a page turner. I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Zombies but hates gratuitous amounts of blood.
MJ Schrader
Odd book. The title caught my interest. The story was good, with just enough elements to keep me reading.

It's a story about the past, except things turned out quite a bit different from our past. It fits with the current Zombie love.
Katrina
I really like this book. I found that the blessings were innovative. I hadn't seen an author take that route. It was a zombie book, but very innvative. Not your average zombie read.
Amy
I could not get into this. 17% into it and I had to put it to rest. I just couldn't buy the story line, and couldn't get interested in the characters.
Meghan
Never knew I could thoroughly enjoy a good zombie book. Add in some magic, family drama and romance. All in familiar locations. Super!
Kathy
Since I grew up in the area I found it really fun to read. The storyline was interesting. I liked this book.
Don
It was well written and had a good story. The ending was a little contrived.
AH
Jul 06, 2012 AH marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 7/5/12
Brooke
Great story!
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Pawel
Pawel marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Indigo (Aimee)
Indigo (Aimee) marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jayne Capps
Jayne Capps marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Nahnita
Nahnita marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Justin Miller
Justin Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Kat Porzelt
Kat Porzelt marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Demigod Proving Van Bender And The Spirit Tether (The Van Bender Archives, #0.5) Van Bender And The Burning Emblems (The Van Bender Archives, #1) Van Bender And The Wicked Sun (The Van Bender Archives, #3) Van Bender And The Incendiary Blade (The Van Bender Archives, #2)