Start by marking “What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day” as Want to Read:

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The “Work Less, More Success” Guide to Managing Your Time

Are you tired of productivity consultants—or worse, your boss—pushing you to do more with less? You’re in luck. Laura Stack knows your to-do list is already packed to capacity, so she shows you how to accomplish more by doing less. Yes, you read that right. Stack’s innovative time-management system lets you work less
Published June 26th 2012 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about What To Do When There's Too Much To Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What To Do When There's Too Much To Do

heidi
I thought this book was well-researched and well-argued, and there are some great concrete tips, especially about managing the inflow of documents and email. It will probably change the way I triage email, at least a bit.

I also agree that the principal of doing one thing at a time and doing it well is something we could all stand to do better. Multitasking is not the greatest productivity aide ever. Rather the opposite.

This part was written especially for me and my email process:
"Indecision. We
Sachin
The book offers some good tips, but feels generic. The last chapter touched on lots of other tips such as exercise and sleep, but stops short of saying why.

The process is very similar to the David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology. She even references the "Tickler File" that I've only ever seen in David Allen's book. At no point in the book, however, did she mention David or the GTD methodology. Considering that GTD came out in 2001, and this book in 2010, it appears that her 6D's methodol
Jamie Belanger
I have to admit I got a chuckle at the author pointing out the irony of spending time reading a book about saving time. There are some good tips about using triage methods to cut down on how much information you have coming at you every day, and reducing your todo lists. I found the most use in those parts, and put them to use by cutting down how often I look at email, cleaning out my inboxes, and cutting back on how much mental energy I waste on watching news feeds. Beyond that, this book read ...more
Wendy
Nothing new here. Not very inspirational either.
Deane
Solid, practical book full of tips to help you get work done. Of course, it's up to you to implement this stuff, and this is where most people will fall down (which clearly isn't the book's fault). Deliberately follow the advice of the book, and you will clearly improve your life, both personal and professional.

But therein lies the rub. How do we get people to make the choice to make a change? How do you get them to adopt the mindset? I have no answers there, and neither does the book. But does
Damaskcat
I'm always interested in books about time management but they tend to become rather repetitive after a while and this is no exception. It's all about prioritising, avoiding distractions, not spending time on networking sites, not gossiping with work colleagues etc. If you already do all of these then you would find it easy to save the ninety minutes a day as highlighted on the cover of this book.

Yes there are some good ideas in this book and it is written in inspiring language which may just ins
Kevin Eikenberry
There are lots of books on time management – probably at least a couple are on your shelf. All of them contain useful information, and most of it, even if you have heard it before will really work in the real world if you actually … - See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Fred Grannan
This was a good book. Followed many of the general philosophies of other time management systems I've reviewed over the years and also had some additional ways of looking at or processing items. A great reminder to focus on what is important of course. What is nice is it is laid out in a format that is conducive to picking up solid useable points very quickly and not necessarily having to read every single detail of supporting evidence.
Marcia Conner
The part of this book that proved truly valuable is her notion of 2 to-do lists: a Master List and a High Impact Tasks list (HIT List). While the Master lists tracks everything that needs to get done, the HIT list includes only a reasonable number of items that can be accomplished within a day.

Although the master list gets everything out of your head like David Allen's GTD to-do list, I found Stacks approach written simply enough I've been able to keep at this approach for a week+ now and it's
Luca Conti
All good but nothing really new (for me)
Angela9600
Ironically, it's the online video talks that dropped this from 5 stars to 4. I think it is good I didn't see her present in person. Her speaking style annoys me.
Bethany
This book goes through some methods of how to do less and achieve more (which is a different spin on the 'do more with less' mantra so commonly referenced). The author stresses making a High Impact Tasks (HIT) list and focusing on those items during your high-energy times. She also gives some practical Outlook tips to help stay organized. Overall, this was a quick and easy read and I plan to implement some of the suggestions in my daily life to stay focused yet take breaks when needed.
Kjen
Non-Fiction???? I know, right?! I actually read this book planning to use the "90 minutes a day" to read...lol! Some good concepts, a good quote or two, and just common sense made up the author's time-saving plan. This book was mostly for applications in the business/work world. It didn't specifically say that, and I was hoping for more spill over into personal/home life. I will try to apply some of the basic priority advice, but really not worth the read for me.
Eleftheria
Oct 21, 2014 Eleftheria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eleftheria by: N21
Αν και είμαι σίγουρη ότι δεν είναι το καλύτερο του είδους, προσωπικά με βοήθησε, δηλαδή βοηθάει ακόμα, πάρα πολύ! Εδώ και πολλούς μήνες διανύω μια περίοδο όπου και 70 ώρες την ημέρα δεν θα έφταναν και τα όσα διάβασα με βοηθάνε να εστιάσω στα ουσιώδη. Δεν είναι απαραίτητα ευχάριστος ο τρόπος της Στακ - είναι λίγο απόλυτος και αυταρχικός - αλλά σίγουρα δημιουργεί καθαρές εικόνες. Φυσικά βοηθάει και η καλή μετάφραση.
Jan
A lot of this book was common sense and things you've heard before, so I toyed with giving it 3 stars, but the action it's gotten me into in the past 24 hours merits 4 stars. Think of it as a tightened-up take on "time management" (which, as the author points out, is really just SELF-management). I took away a few powerful ideas and have been rethinking my time wasters and redoing my To Do lists already. A quick read as well.
Kathryn
Aug 14, 2012 Kathryn marked it as quit-reading
ti was hoping this book would get me organized and make me more efficient at home, but this book is very much directed to work. I am currerntly unemployed due to my job being outsourced and is not applicable tome at the moment, so I will not be reading this at the moment. Since I didnot read this, I will not rate it.
Trudy Pomerantz
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I will try to start implementing some of her ideas, but I think that I will need to reread it again in a few months so that I can remind myself of how to stay on top of what I need to do.
The
Fine. Nothing really new here, relative to Getting Things Done, blah blah: Prioritize, reduce distractions, focus, act. Which is valid, but I could have saved 60 minutes in my day by not reading this. Or reviewing it, I guess....
Bryan Boyd
lots of very practical ways to utilize common sense and outlook to save time and be more productive. not particularly well written, but practical.
Martin Goldberg
Honestly, I don't understand what people like about either this book or Getting Things Done by David Allen. 90% of the advice is completely obvious.
Tamara Kleinberg
Totally worth it! I highly recommend this to anyone that feels insanely busy like I do. I now have a plan to get it all done and save time!
Deyara
Okay. Doesn't really tell you much that is new, though the Outlook tips were described quite well.
Mark Bates
Typical advice, nothing new. Well written.
Sonnet
Sonnet marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Kaydee Carr
Kaydee Carr marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Cynthia Hardy
Cynthia Hardy marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ramin Fahimi
Ramin Fahimi marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Great Leaders Grow: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • So What?: How to Communicate What Really Matters to Your Audience
  • The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga
  • First Impressions: What You Don't Know About How Others See You
  • The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace: Empowering Organizations by Encouraging People
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • The Art of Dealing with People
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • The Living Company
  • 50 Fitness Tips You Wish You Knew
  • Did the Resurrection Happen . . . Really?: A Dialogue on Life, Death, and Hope
  • Personality Plus for Couples: Understanding Yourself and the One You Love
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age
  • How to Manage Your Money When You Don't Have Any
  • How To Be A Productivity Ninja
Laura Stack, MBA, CSP, is a personal productivity expert, author, and professional speaker who helps busy workers Leave the Office Earlier® with Maximum Results in Minimum Time®. She is the president of The Productivity Pro®, Inc., a time management training firm specializing in productivity improvement in high-stress organizations. Since 1992, Laura has presented keynotes and seminars on improvin ...more
More about Laura Stack...
Find More Time: How to Get Things Done at Home, Organize Your Life, and Feel Great about It Leave the Office Earlier: The Productivity Pro Shows You How to Do More in Less Time...and Feel Great About It The Exhaustion Cure: Up Your Energy from Low to Go in 21 Days Super Competent: The Six Keys to Perform at Your Productive Best Execution IS the Strategy: How Leaders Achieve Maximum Results in Minimum Time

“It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.” 0 likes