Start by marking “Tale of Two Bad Mice: With Fur Mouse” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Tale of Two Bad Mice: ...

Beatrix Potter

Tale of Two Bad Mice: With Fur Mouse (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,598 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
While the dolls are away, two curious, naughty mice explore the dolls' house but grow enraged when all of the food turns out to be fake.
Paperback
Published June 1st 1986 by Merrimack Publishing Corporation (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Tale of Two Bad Mice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tale of Two Bad Mice

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
So I may be overdosing a bit on nostalgia tonight, but I'm feeling oddly sentimental and wanted to share my thoughts.

I had a really rough day today. Christmastime is a time when we all think back on our lives for the past year. What did 2015 bring us? What is it that we remember as we reflect? Good times, bad times, scary times, happy times. We revel in the memories of friends and family, we sadden as we remember loss. We laugh when we think back to times we did stupid things or embarrassing thi
Manny
Celebrity Death Match Special: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch versus The Tale of Two Bad Mice

"You see them often?" asked Hunca. Her tone was casual, but Tom immediately caught the edge in her voice.

"Who do you mean?" he said, pretending not to understand. It was a strategy that had worked before.

Hunca moved a step closer to the layout. "The Chinese," she breathed, unable to contain her excitement any longer as she gazed at the doll's-house. Her ample breasts rose and fell under the thin s
Paul Bryant
Feb 11, 2015 Paul Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels

DON PETER RABBIT :

Lucinda, we know each other for years, but this is the first time you come to me for help. I don't remember the last time you invited me to your house for coffee...

LUCINDA :

What do you want of me? I'll give you anything you want... I ask for Justice. Make the two bad mice suffer as we suffer. How much shall we pay you?

DON PETER :

So now you come to me and say Don Peter, you must give me justice. And you don't ask in respect or friendship. And you don't think to call me Bunfathe
Prashant
Apr 04, 2012 Prashant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Tom Thumb and Hunca and Munca, the two bad mice, repaying for all they have stolen from the doll house.

description

This is good!
Lisa Vegan
I don't remember this from when I was young but I probably had it read to me. I liked this quite a bit more than I expected. It's actually very funny, the mice are cute, the story is different, in a good way, and it works well from beginning to end. I love dollhouses but the mice feel frustration when they find that the food in the dollhouse isn't real. What happens makes for a good story that holds up well even though it was written over a century ago.
Hailey White
My 3 year old daughter brings me this book several times a day to read.
Gerry
Dec 22, 2015 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Thumb and his wife Hunca Munca are two extremely naughty mice who caused havoc with the doll's house that belonged to two dolls, Lucinda and Jane. Actually it belonged to Lucinda but Jane lived there too as she was the cook.

However, Jane never did any cooking as meals were always bought in ready-made such as the one that arrived containing two red lobsters, a ham, a fish and some pears and oranges.

One morning Lucinda and Jane had gone out so Tom and Hunca ventured out of their mouse hole int
Kristine Hansen
Such bad little mice! I could so easily see mice leaving this kind of wreckage everywhere. I think that's one of the things I love about Beatrix Potter is that she never forgets mice are mice even with human qualities. Great story that brings back happy memories as I read this.
Helen (Helena/Nell)
Warning: this review is very considerably longer than the book under discussion.

I have no idea how old I was when I first read The Tale of Two Bad Mice. I only know it feels as familiar as family photographs. Every detail of it is so familiar that once I must have known it inside out, though I doubt I’ve read it for half a century.

I imagine it would have first been read to me, and then I would have read it myself, and I was an early reader, so maybe at about four years old I learned that mice w
Jonathan
May 12, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Tom Thumb and his wife Hunca Munca (what were her parents thinking?) break into Lucinda and Jane's delightfully furnished home, they go on a rampage through the house, destroying the fake food, climbing the chimney, and stealing anything that will fit through their own front door. When the 'single' ladies return from an afternoon's perambulation they can only look on in mute horror at the devastation that awaits them. The mice have the gall to return later and leave a token sixpence to pay ...more
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Izida
Feb 14, 2015 Izida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Хахаха, Хунка Мунка, хаха, миличките гладни и излъгани мишлета... Сладурска история :)
Wsclai
Nov 21, 2015 Wsclai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable doll's house and mice.
Astri Nardi (Asuka Mai)
*Review ini diikut sertakan dalam 13 Reading Children & YA Literature

After i read this book, i am glad that this book is very entertaining and this one of the Great books by Beatrix Potter.
Who dont know Beatrix Potter, she was born in 1866 and died in 1943.
She is one of the most notabke authirs of Children's literature.
Fairy tales, those created by her about animals, which were self-illustrated with gracefuk and tender water colors, are notable for delicate lyricism and soft humour.
She is a
Gail
Dec 28, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did like this one - very entertaining! Lucinda and Jane are two dolls livilng in a fancy dolls house. Tom Thumb and his wife Hunca Munca are two mice living behind the skirting board. Lucinda and Jane get taken on a walk, and Tom Thumb and Hunca Munca, being bad mice, break into their house. They are delighted to see a table spread with food, and sit themselves down, ready for a feast.

Alas, they don't realise it's fake food and just think the gammon is very tough when they have difficulty cut
Melle
Jul 25, 2014 Melle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone considering squatting
Recommended to Melle by: Katie
Squatting mice on a rampage through a dollhouse, or, again, WTF, Beatrix? This was cute and weird. Victorians were weird in general, though, so no surprises there. Zelda wanted to eat this book, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the mice or the size of the book or Z's terrible habit of chewing on the corners of library books.
shanay
this tale begins in a doll house. lucinda the doll lives there with a cook doll named jane. jane never cooks because the food in the doll house is made out of plastic and was "bought ready made." even though the food won't come off the plates, it's very beautiful to look at.

one morning, the dolls leave the doll house to go for a drive. no one is in the nursery where the house is set when tom thumb and hunca munca, two mice who live under the floorboards, come out and dash into the doll's house.
Robin Thomas
Dec 11, 2012 Robin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh no, I've fallen behind in my reading!
This book may be considered cheating.
But I did enjoy it and love the illustrations.
So, now I have one more book to read to meet
my challenge.
B-zee
May 12, 2014 B-zee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Sebenarnya lucu juga dua tikus itu kecewa dengan apa yang mereka temukan di rumah boneka. Kemarahan sesaat karena gagal 'makan enak' membuat mereka melakukan hal-hal buruk. Namun, kata penulis, sebenarnya mereka tidak terlalu nakal. Pada akhirnya mereka 'membayar' kekacauan yang mereka buat. Meski saya pribadi lebih suka kalau mereka meminta maaf secara langsung.

Tadinya saya berpikir--karena awalnya menceritakan dua boneka penghuni rumah itu--bahwa boneka itu memiliki sisi yang menarik. Tetapi s
Lydia
Jun 02, 2010 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Dad finally finished reading the tale of two bad mice to me.
Biena (The Library Mistress)
Sep 03, 2013 Biena (The Library Mistress) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
They aren't bad mice after all. Hahaha

I still hate rodents. >.<
Kirsti
Jul 14, 2009 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jazz
Apr 22, 2014 Jazz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so morbidly funny that I think it has thrown me into an existential crisis about doll house food. The mice can use the furniture and kitchen utensils, they can wear the clothing, but they can't eat the fake food. The little girl who plays with the dolls uses a policeman doll to confront the mice about their theft, and the mice sort of recognize his authority. It gives me such a whimsical feeling about how far belief can stretch in childhood games.
Jill Wolf
Traditional Literature #21
This is about two mice who completely trash a dollhouse. They take a few things from the house to their mouse hole. The little girl who owns the house realizes what has happened and sets a police doll outside the doors thinking that it would stop someone from coming again. The mice try to make things better by giving the girl a sixpence in her stocking and Hunca Munca (the girl mouse) sweeps the doll house floor every morning.
Elliot Hyland
Dec 18, 2012 Elliot Hyland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I've read quite some Beatrix Potter stories by now, but I think this is the best one I've read so far. Most of the stories were quite sweet, perfect to read at Christmas. This one I found to be particularly funny and although you can pretty much imagine what's about to happen (like in most of her stories), it's great to read.

Also, I believe her stories wouldn't be half as good if she hadn't used animals as her characters. And because these tales are written for children, the characters always h
Mia McInnis
Feb 10, 2016 Mia McInnis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two mice happen upon what appears to be a feast. The immediately try to devour this meal only to find it is not at all what they expected. In their tiny fury they proceed to trash the place doing as much damage as possible before stealing everything that struck their fancy leaving the occupants in shambles.
Linda
Feb 12, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable story about two mice and a dollhouse. Beatrix based their antics in her own dollhouse that is still on display at Hill Top Farm in the Lake District, UK. As a dollhouse owner myself, I can't wait to see it. I certainly hope mice stay out of MY dollhouse!
Susan
Oct 26, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this story so much. The two mice are really not bad after all. They might have done something bad, but they were very repentant. I loved the story, especially the wonderful named of the mice - Ton Thumb and Hunca Munca. A definite classic!
Christabelle
My 11-year-old son shook his head in a surprised manner and exclaimed, "That's really good for a little kid's book!" Indeed, everyone remained engaged throughout the story, trying to imagine the lives of these little mice that caused all the mischief. My oldest daughter nodded with a knowing smile. It was her favorite from years ago. That's why she borrowed it in the first place!
Annie
Jan 09, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my absolute favorites as a kid. My daughter seems to love it as much as I did. And I still find it completely irresistible. Mouse babies! Doll house furniture!
  • Summer Story
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • Moses the Kitten
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • Angelina and Henry
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Babar and Zephir
  • Mr. Bump (Mr. Men, #6)
  • The Rescuers (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • One Morning in Maine
  • Babies
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit