Start by marking “Madonna: Like an Icon” as Want to Read:
Madonna: Like an Icon

Madonna: Like an Icon

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Material Girl. Immaculate sexpot. Kabbalah enthusiast. British mum.

She has defied categorization for three decades and remained one of our greatest living pop icons

Madonna: Like an Icon is a groundbreaking biography that finally solves the mystery at the heart of Madonna's chameleonlike existence. Extensively researched and perceptively written by journalist Lucy O'Brien,
Published November 6th 2007 by It Books (first published August 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Madonna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madonna

Hunger For Knowledge
This was an excellent biography when comes to Madonna's business side and her career. Very well and interesting way written, and would work as a good recourse when it comes to her music as her musical bio is extremely detailed on these pages.

But if you are really interested to know who is Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone, this book will most likely leave you empty as the private person behind the public Madonna remains just as that.

Note: I read this in Finnish.

Review also posted at http://hfk.b
Jayne Lamb
Lucy O'Brien is a fantastic writer, and this is the definitive Madge bio. Finally an intelligent, feminist critic reviews her work! Now if only she'd write about Kate Bush..
Shane Malcolm
The best biography of Madonna I've ever read, mainly because it focuses on her music career, with thoughtful analyses.
Wendy Shortridge
Jan 29, 2008 Wendy Shortridge rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wendy by: New Book Shelf at Library
I have insatiable curiosity but this book didn't really add anything to my knowledge of Madonna's career. However, the book highly emphasizes a connection to Madonna's persona and actions to a attack and rape she experienced in her first months in New York City. She was forced at knife point and threat of death to perform oral sex. The rapist threatened to throw her off the building if she didn't comply. The severity of this attack was news to me.

This book is certainly not a must-read. I got bo
Sara
This is one of my favorite Madonna biographies. So much so that this is my second go-round with the book.

The bio flows well, nor is it a bore. Yes, like other GoodReads reviewers have mentioned, the author does tend to write in favoritism towards the pop icon. However, she balanced it with the other points of view (her former back-up singer and former friend, Nikki Harris, as well as Madge's critics).

If you read other biographies of the singer, you'll see that its pretty much the same story. N
Jessie in Fashion Limbo
Brilliant reading, for any fan/non fan. A fantastic insight into Madonna's life
Nday Ciccone
Salah satu buku biografi yang lengkap, menyenangkan untuk di baca dan berbeda dengan buku biografi Madonna lainnya yang pernah aku baca. Buku ini lebih banyak menceritakan mengenai etos kerja Madonna dan bagaimana proses yang dilakukan dalam setiap karya yang di ciptakannya. Tidak bicara banyak soal kehidupan pribadi atau menceritakan dengan terlalu mencolok skandal-skandalnya, cenderung lebih fokus pada aspek musikalitas. Sangat penting untuk dibaca penggemar Madonna.
Malcolm Frawley
I am no fan of Madonna's music (except Vogue) but she has earned her place in the rock pantheon. This biog is even-handed & insightful & I feel I know her much better now.
Patricia
I absolutely loved this book. It was very detailed, well-written, thoughtful, intellectual, entertaining and engaging and did an excellent job of exploring and attempting to explain Madonna's myth, appeal, career, life, struggles, ambition and relationships. Strongly reccommended to any Madonna fan or to anyone curious to know the human side to this legendary icon.
Nicholas Cavenagh
Possibly the best Madonna biog I have read, the only one where Madonna's musical collaborators (songwriters, musicians, producers) are interviewed and given a major focus. Fascinating detail on Madonna's artistic processes. The author is also not afraid to cast a critical eye on Madonna's work.
Riana
Many people say that this is the best biography of Madonna, but it is the first one I read of her and I was not really that impressed. I got a few interesting facts out of it and I like Madonna even more after reading it, but as far as biographies are concerned, I have definately had better reads.
The Romance Bookie
The only reason why I gave it two stars is because I personally am not a big fan of biographies. I chose to read this book however for a high school project back in 2009, because I thought it might be more interesting to do a project on someone like Madonna instead of lets say Benjamin Franklin.
Rdumitriu
This is a really good book about Madge because it describes her professional relationships with her producers and other artists, which ultimately reveals much about her personality. It's also good for putting the whole of her work into an understandable and meaningful order
Courtney E. Smith
Too fawning to feel legit, O'Brien writes like a fan instead of a journalist. There are some interesting stories and the basis of a good timeline of Madonna's career. The definitive, detached Madonna book just isn't out there yet, but this will do in a pinch.
S. Sikov
Aug 12, 2009 S. Sikov rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ambitsioonikatele ja/või uudishimulikele naistele
Tahtsin lihtsalt teada, mida peab tegema selleks, et vallutada maailm.
Jah, nüüd ma tean, aga järgi teha mitte ei üritagi.
Väärt lugemine (ütlen mina, kes ma jälestan biograafiaid ja pole enne seda ühelegi isegi lähedale läinud)!
Greg Schumaker
A humanizing look at Madonna at work behind-the-scenes. Despite some minor errors when writing about specifics of albums and tours, this biography is a fair look at Madge's career and personal life, both triumphs and failures.
Dana
This book gave a very in-depth understanding of the events that lead to Madonna's decision in her professional career, and later on, her personal life. I didn't see it as personally biased at all. It rested solely on the facts.
Bryce
A good read for any Madonna fan, but I couldn't help but feel like some things in the book were a bit biased on the author's opinion, but really, aren't most things?
Minni
Kaikenkattava ja ennen kaikkea objektiivinen teos maailman kuuluisimman naisen tähänastisesta urasta, omalla sarallaan parhaita mitä olen käsiini saanut.
Melissa Young
I'm working on a Madonna TRibune Cabaret for her birthday and am reading lots of Madonna bio's and so far, this one is the best
Jamila
Fantastic biography with great detail given to Madonna's songs, collaboration, music production, and concerts.
Sandra
May 02, 2011 Sandra is currently reading it
I'm reading this in portuguese, and I don't know if is because the translation but it has ben boring.
Ju Ribeiro
The writer is Madonna's fan! I want another author's opinion!!!
Tonkica
Tonkica marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Christopher Richard Cook
Christopher Richard Cook marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Leonor Varandas
Leonor Varandas marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Sarah Joy
Sarah Joy marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • Vanished Years
  • Never Mind the Pollacks: A Rock and Roll Novel
  • Milk It: Collected Musings on the Alternative Music Explosion of the '90s
  • The Man Who Sold the World: David Bowie and the 1970s
She Bop: The Definitive History of Women in Rock, Pop & Soul Dusty Springfield Annie Lennox: Sweet Dreams Are Made of This She Bop II: The Definitive History of Women in Rock, Pop and Soul She Bop: The Definitive History of Women in Popular Music - Revised Third Edition