Start by marking “The Bones of the Earth (Dark Age Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bones of the Earth (Dark Age Trilogy, #1)

The Bones of the Earth (Dark Age Trilogy #1)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The Dark Age, eastern Europe: the earth has decided to rid itself of humanity with earthquakes, volcanoes and new plagues. Civilizations, even the mighty Roman Empire, crumble under the pressure of barbarian waves that are fleeing worse terrors.

Rejected by his own people, pursued by a dragon, young Javor heads for Constantinople, the centre of civilization, looking for an
Published December 20th 2011 by The Written Word Communications Co. (first published November 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Bones of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bones of the Earth

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Five Star Fantasy Books
247th out of 1,273 books — 1,753 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMagician by Raymond E. FeistThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
Best Heroic Fantasy
145th out of 526 books — 832 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise Stokes
Jun 22, 2014 Elise Stokes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
(Not suitable for readers under 18)

I don’t usually read fantasy, but after this novel it’s a genre I’ll explore more. Scott Bury is a talented storyteller and had clearly done his homework before launching into this one. His writing is solid and vivid. I had no problem picturing setting, mythical creatures, brutal battle scenes, and feeling the emotional turmoil warrior Javor experienced with the loss of his family, betrayal, and other challenges he faced on his quest. Javor is a brilliant chara
Cinta
Oct 02, 2012 Cinta rated it really liked it
I have absolutely loved this book and I was very sad when I reached the ending. Javor, the main protagonist, is a very special character and it is amazing to see the story and events develop through his eyes. Great book for lovers of both fantasy and historical fiction.
When the village where Javor lives gets attacked by a hideous creature, Javor's life will change dramatically. Join him in his way to Constantinople, a trip that will be full of dangers, finding enemies, dragons, and other creatur
Will Granger
Apr 06, 2012 Will Granger rated it it was amazing
The Bones of the Earth, Part 1: Initiation Rites is the first novel by author Scott Bury. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to much more from him. I liked this coming-of-age epic filled with believable characters and situations, tense action, and mystical, magical elements. This is the story of Javor, a young man unknowingly destined to defend the world against evil forces pouring out of the east.

The story begins with a fertility ritual led by Vorona, the village witch and performed by th
Roger Eschbacher
Nov 25, 2011 Roger Eschbacher rated it it was amazing
When his people are attacked -- first by vicious horsemen, then by an unspeakable horror from the depths of a dark pit -- village outcast Javor finds abilities stirring within that hint he might not be destined for the life of a simple farmer.

Armed with his great-grandfather's special dagger, Javor first sets out to rescue two village girls, then to seek revenge for his parents deaths -- the very beginning of an epic quest where nothing less than the fate of the human race is at stake.

Author Sco
KD Rush
Jan 03, 2012 KD Rush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: The Bones of the Earth, Book I
Author: Scott Bury
Publisher: The Written Word Communications Company
Format: Kindle Edition
Interest: Fantasy / Series
Rating 0-100: 93 (5 Stars)

With his debut novel, Scott Bury has firmly established his place in the fantasy genre. The plot is solid, the pace is quick, and the characters are well written. Typically I read two or three books at a time, jumping from one to the other between sittings. I was not able to do that with this one. My intention to read t
Frederick Brooke
Jul 13, 2013 Frederick Brooke rated it it was amazing
I love books that take me to another place and time. I devoured “The Mammoth Hunters” by Jean Auel, and when I started reading “Bones of the Earth” by Scott Bury I suddenly, happily found myself back in a world long before modern times, when the tools were rudimentary, and people lived in a close and intense and often dangerous relationship to the Earth. Set in the 6th century C.E., “Bones” is the story of a young warrior, Javor, living in the Carpathian Mountains, round about where Ukraine, Rom ...more
Haresh Daswani
May 02, 2012 Haresh Daswani rated it it was amazing
It did take me time to get to reading this book due to pending work, and honestly, thanks to this book, my load of work has further increased.

The moment I have started reading this book, I found it almost impossible to put it down. Scott has a very fluid and colorful way of telling a story, and it does not stop and drag in the middle, he brings you from one place to the next, like a vagabond, awaiting to see what comes next, and who will be the next girl beside the main hero.

Fantasy stories have
Gillian Andrews
Feb 28, 2012 Gillian Andrews rated it really liked it
This a vivid and compelling first novel. Scott Bury has the knack of making his scenes spring to life, which should make it a strong contender for a film deal at some stage. The mix of real fact and history with fiction is potent, and the plot is nicely complex. Although the author describes his genre as “Historical Magic Realism” this is a great find for Epic Fantasy fans.
Zoe Saadia
Jun 19, 2012 Zoe Saadia rated it it was amazing
Epic fantasy and history woven together.

I had a wonderful time reading “The Bones of the Earth” by Scott Bury.

The story of young Javor is fascinating. It unfolds slowly and beautifully, with its ring of authentic surroundings of ancient Europe’s strange customs and believes. The Slavic mythology is rare in general fiction (vampires aside) and well researched novels on this subject are next to non-existent. So aside from a good story, “The Bones of the Earth” is standing out on that score too.

Th
Kate's Reads
Oct 07, 2013 Kate's Reads rated it really liked it
Scott Bury's "The Bones of the Earth" is a mystical, yet historical tale of a young man's quest for truth and enlightenment. The story takes place in eastern Europe during the sixth century, a time when Rome was crumbling and the barbarians were unleashing their power on helpless villagers.

As the story begins, Javor's village is raided by Avors and two young girls are kidnapped. He sets off with his friend and his great-grandfather's dagger determined to save them. When they return to the villag
Marilou George
Mar 24, 2012 Marilou George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Bury has defined this book as “Historical magic realism” and after reading The Bones Of The Earth (The Dark Age) I totally agree. This genre of book is quite a departure for me but I found this story to be amazingly detailed, thought provoking and captivating on many levels. It is very apparent that a tremendous amount of research went into the writing of this book and coupled with the amazing characters and plot twists I could not put this book down.

Javor has just turned 14 years of age w
Jeremy Poole
Oct 19, 2012 Jeremy Poole rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read. Historical fantasy is a genre I love, and Scott has done himself proud. For readers of The hobbit, Gladiator or George and Dewi, you’ll love this.
The main character of Javor is a typical teenager, falling in love at every opportunity, fast to react and wearing his heart on his sleeve. The tale move fast from Dacia to Constantinople and back to the outback.
Our hero has to save civilization and has to deal with Dragon, trolls, dwarfs, heroes, witches and kings in this
Alan McDermott
May 17, 2012 Alan McDermott rated it it was amazing
I bought this book on a recommendation, despite it not being my favourite genre. I'm more of a guns and grenades person than swords and dragons, but it took very little time to get into this book and I was soon carried away in the tale spun by Scott Bury.

It's the story of Javor, a fifteen-year-old village outcast who fate throws in the path of Photius, a mysterious stranger from Greece.

I won't go into the synopsis in case I spoil it for you, but my heart was beating faster as the main encounter
Alan McDermott
May 18, 2012 Alan McDermott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Marilyn Dieckmann
I had no idea what to expect when I bought this book. The description was compelling and I decided to give it a read.

What I didn't expect was a story that sucked me in with its expertly written scenes... visuals of earthy characters and a time so raw that life was laid bare in the face of unspeakable evil. You'll cheer for the unlikely hero and weep when his life is devastated by life-sucking grief. Wow, who knew?

No spoilers here... read the book. Scott Bury will weave his spell and you'll want
Gae-Lynn Woods
Dec 24, 2014 Gae-Lynn Woods rated it it was amazing
Scott Bury's THE BONES OF THE EARTH is one of those rare books I can sink into while the 'real' world recedes. This is the story of a boy who leaves his village to avenge his family's murder and finds a world of terrifying mythical creatures, strange people with hidden agendas, and cities filled with unexpected luxury. The characters and time period are captivating, and Bury shows us the main character's (Javor) growth from unsure adolescent to courageous man.

Bury seamlessly weaves together hist
Antoinette Ouellette
Oct 28, 2012 Antoinette Ouellette rated it it was amazing

This story is a weird and wonderful weaving of many genres He disappoints in none of the myths or horror creatures even Fantasy with dragons in a historical setting at the time of the Roman Empire..finding Magical amulets ,magic knife and true love only to lose them all The story is the trip to return all his future along with his heirlooms.Scott Bury is indeed a Dream Weaver..skillfully done! Bravo!
Kelly Banton
Mar 18, 2012 Kelly Banton rated it it was amazing
A marvelous read - it is clear how much work went into this book. The details of the everyday lives of the characters is rich and interesting. The various myths and legends woven into the story line make you smile.

Scott Bury's writing style is comfortable, and easy to lose yourself in. I spent the better part of a day stuck in the book, in spite of all the other things I had to do!
Gary Henry
Dec 07, 2012 Gary Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short, snappy tale has blood, gore, sex, battles, monsters, emotion -- all the ingredients of a classic fantasy adventure. It's more of an intro, ala The Hobbit, than a full-fledged epic, but fun nevertheless.
Pauline Ross
[Review rewritten for greater accuracy and clarity]

This is a curious book. The setting is unusual, sixth century Eastern Europe, although it didn’t feel any different from a great many other fantasy works in that respect, at least not in the early parts. The protagonist, Javor, is an interesting character, an immature fifteen year old who doesn't fit in at all with his family and society and is shunned as an outcast. Of course, he has strange powers, not yet fully developed and... Well, I think
Kerin
Aug 24, 2012 Kerin marked it as to-read
eBook
Firerat1
Apr 02, 2012 Firerat1 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read this book because of how mean he was to my favorite Author Elicia Clegg. I was only looking for grammar and spelling errors...to be mean.....and I found them.

First: page two, he not capitalized, page six............Double periods..
But wait, this is a knee jerk reaction and I decide why not read the story.

To quote: The moon’s lower edge cleared the tallest tree and Vorona startled them all by crying
“Worship, young people!” She lifted her hands. “Mistress of the night, Mysyach, bless u
Kathy Stoops
Apr 02, 2012 Kathy Stoops rated it did not like it
I felt as though I had read this book before. When I look for a "goodread" a want something original. I read "Hunger Games" and I thought of Stephen King. I know authors draw from others but I felt this one went to far. I am glad I bought this for only a dollar.
Benjamin
Apr 29, 2015 Benjamin rated it did not like it
Would of been 5 star, it was a great beginning. Its become a 1 star book because the author has decided to wright a whole bunch of books that have nothing to do with the "series" without bothering to continue the series.
Steve
Apr 02, 2012 Steve rated it did not like it
Not for me, but maybe it was the opening of the book. Don't take my word, read the first few pages to decide for yourself.
Kim
May 31, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ridiculous
Cool concept, but there needs to be better editing done, and the colloquialisms needed to be standardized.
Linda
Jul 05, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read more. I will now read the full book BONES OF THE EARTH.
Chic Kelty
Chic Kelty rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Kayla Krantz
Kayla Krantz marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Caliope
Caliope marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Authors...: GIVEAWAY till the end of June 1 4 Jun 14, 2012 06:48PM
Goodreads Authors...: GIVEAWAY - for smart readers 1 9 Jun 14, 2012 06:42PM
Goodreads Authors...: GIVEAWAY contest for smart readers 1 4 Jun 14, 2012 06:41PM
Goodreads Authors...: The Bones of the Earth - giveaway 1 10 Jun 14, 2012 06:18PM
  • Yseult: A Tale of Love in the Age of King Arthur (The Pendragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Chasing the Lantern (Dawnhawk Trilogy #1)
  • The Lost Tales of Mercia (Lost Tales of Mercia #1-10)
  • Song of the Summer King (The Summer King Chronicles, #1)
  • The Embalmer's Daughter
  • Druid's Bane (The Arkaelyon Chronicles, #1)
  • Eon's Door
  • Black Beast (Clan of MacAulay #1)
  • The Use (Changing Magic, #1)
  • The Chocolatier's Wife
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Binding Spell (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms #3)
  • The Dragon and the Unicorn (Arthor, #1)
  • Through the Wildwood (The Legend of Vanx Malic, #1)
  • Elemental Magic (Elemental Magic, #1)
  • Rodger Dodger (Railroad! #1)
  • To Walk in the Way of Lions (Upper Kindgom, #2)
  • Starfall (Starfall, #1)