Start by marking “Carpathia” as Want to Read:
Carpathia

Carpathia

It's Titanic meets 30 Days of Night.

When the survivors of the Titanic are picked up by the passenger steamship Carpathia, they thought their problems were over.

But something’s sleeping in the darkest recesses of the ship. Something old. Something hungry.

The lucky ones wished they’d gone down with the ship.
Published February 28th 2012 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Carpathia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carpathia

mark monday
Sep 10, 2016 mark monday rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-gave-up, horrortime
@ $13 + @ 2.5 hours of time to read @ 200 pages =

photo puke_zpsca29211d.gif

except not as fun.

there is just something so enervating about writing a review on a book that turned out to be a frustrating waste of time. I should be angry at myself over the loss of hours and dollars but - poor sport that I am - I find myself angry at the book instead.

fabulous premise: the good ship Carpathia rescues passengers from the Titanic; unfortunately there are vampires on board the rescue ship. uh oh!

terrible execution: grindingly du
Bob Milne
Mar 20, 2012 Bob Milne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
THE FACTS: The Titanic struck an iceberg late on the night of April 14, 1912. The unsinkable ship actually sank rather quickly, taking only about 3 hours to send more than 1,500 passengers and crew to a cold, watery grave. While the Carpathia did come to its rescue, picking up over 700 survivors from the lifeboats, they didn't arrive until almost 2 hours after the Titanic slipped beneath the waves.

THE FICTION: No significant departure from the facts, except for the fact that Carpathia does recei
Thomas Wagner

So it's April 1912, and here I am aboard R.M.S. Titanic, on her maiden voyage. By heaven, she's a lovely ship! Big, too. But I'm a little worried we're getting rather close to that iceberg. Oh I say, we've struck it! Not to worry, old man, everyone knows this ship is unsinkable. What's that? We're sinking anyway? Dash the luck! Off to the lifeboats then. What do you mean, there's no more room? Blimey. Rest assured I'll write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about this! Al
Ben Babcock
With its hundredth anniversary just last month, Titanic was all over the media, much to my dad’s chagrin. He doesn’t understand why everyone seems so fascinated by Titanic (the ship or the James Cameron movie). I personally don’t care much for the movie, but I can see why the ship has captured so many imaginations. It was a huge testament to human ingenuity—and hubris. Its sinking was a monumental event in the early twentieth century. Not only was the loss of life considerable—and perhaps preven ...more
Marty
Apr 10, 2013 Marty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bobby
Jan 10, 2015 Bobby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it until the final confrontation and then the dialogue took all the steam out of the story. Lines like "You leave him alone" when it's a dire and vicious moment were almost laughable. The protagonists seemed to feel no terror when there should have been immense fear and striving for survival. Was entertaining up to that point and then the author seemed to rush to the finale with a lot cliches and predictable endings.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I was really excited to read this based on the summary (vampires and the sinking of the Titanic!), but it wasn't at all like I expected. Though I loved the idea, I wasn't very impressed with the story which started out strong and slowly began losing its steam. There was also something about the dialogue between the characters; I found the conversations very awkward.
Tony
Mar 08, 2012 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d like to say that this is an unbiased review, but I can’t. I’m an unabashed Forbeck fan. I have been for years. The Bloodbowl novels may not have been considered brilliant by a lot of people remain some of my favourite books.

This is a vampire story. Set on the titanic and the ship that rescued some of the survivors. Like that great book by Kim Newman this story takes the Bram Stoker story and says ‘What if?’ The Dracula links are slowly fed through until you can’t ignore them, but most reader
Milo (BOK)
Original Post: http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/02/...

I don’t read that much horror, despite the fact that I probably should. I believe the last horror novel that I read was The Concrete Grove by Gary McMahon. So, I was delighted when I found that a copy of Carpathia by Matt Forbeck arrived at my doorstep a couple of days before Christmas. And to be honest, I don’t really know why I put this off that long.

I think we all know about the story of the Titanic, the famous unsinkable ship that hits a
Chris Bauer
Mar 14, 2012 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book in the "Crossing the Streams" contest sponsored by authors like Ari Marmel, Matt Forbeck and about a dozen others.

I really enjoyed reading this work. There were a few typos and one or two sentences which had me scratching my head, but really a fantastic novel.

I won't ruin the book by providing a "spoiler" synopsis, but the back of the book pretty much sums it up. "Lucky" survivors of the Titanic are plucked from the cold waters by another vessel, the Carpathia. By the e
Chelsea
May 30, 2012 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took nothing more than the words titanic and vampires to get me interested. An awesome idea am I right? And Matt Forbeck pulled it off for the most part. The first half of the book was phenomenal but it slightly lost steam in the last hundred or pages or so.

Basically its about two men torn between one girl. Both are in love with this girl and when titanic goes down, Quin who has kept his feelings a secret resolves to tell Lucy if he sees her again. Little do they know that on the ship Carpat
Joseph
Apr 14, 2013 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant idea -- what if the Carpathia, the ship that picked up the Titanic surviors was infested with vampires -- and a lot of fun. We begin almost literally with the Titanic hitting the iceberg, and things only get worse from there. I can only hope that someone somewhere has acquired the film rights.
Abhinav
Feb 15, 2012 Abhinav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadowhawk reviews Matt Forbeck’s next novel for Angry Robot Books, a part-romance, part-fantasy novel about the Titanic and vampires.

“If you thought that the sinking of the Titanic was the only disaster that night then think again for the truly scary vampires are now back on the scene.” ~ The Founding Fields

People who know me through the Bolthole and elsewhere know that for the last few years my reading has almost exclusively consisted of Black Library fiction. While that may sound fantastic at
Dan
Sep 27, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been called Titanic meets 30 Days of Night. And thats exactly what it is, and was what caught my attention when I read about it on vampires.com. Storytelling mastermind, Matt Forbeck, brings us Carpathia, a story about…as the reviews said…. “What would happen if Bram Stoker threw an Iceberg at James Cameron?” Its a must read for any vampire fan or history buff.

Now, some people might roll their eyes at this book being that, like Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, it is another monster mash-up
Michael
Mar 16, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
April 1912. Childhood friends Quincey Harker, Abe Holmwood, and Lucy Seward are leaving England aboard the Titanic and steaming their way to America, where Quincey has accepted a job as a solicitor at a New York law firm and Lucy is attending college in Boston after she and Abe, her suitor, travel the country. But fate, in the form of an iceberg, intervenes and Quincey, Abe, and Lucy find themselves fighting for their lives in the cold North Atlantic.
Soon, the passenger ship Carpathia arrives
William M.
Mar 10, 2013 William M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, drama
4 AND 1/2 STARS

I picked this book up because of the cool concept of vampires out on the ocean during the Titanic disaster. What a strange place for a vampire story, but author Matt Forbeck pulls it off brilliantly. Carpathia reads like a classic and the characters are so likeable that you find yourself rooting for their survival throughout each dangerous chapter.

Author Forbeck writes with a very smooth prose, writing dialogue that feels very much like it must have been in 1912. I felt completel
Timothy Ward
Jul 03, 2012 Timothy Ward rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Matt really pulls the reader in from the start, and for me, propelled this book to the top of my reading list just from reading the first few pages. You have a fun lovers' triangle going on between three humans on the Titanic. Quin and Abe are best friends. Abe is engaged to Lucy, but Quin is in love with Lucy. I really like these three, and it was a lot of fun reading their banter and waiting to find out if Quin would tell Lucy about his feelings for her. This may be an alternate history about ...more
Stephanie Parody
Feb 12, 2012 Stephanie Parody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book is very much Titanic meets Dracula. You get to live through the horrors of being on board the Titanic when it sinks. Then once you are rescued you have to live through other horrors that are just as horrific if not worse than the Titanic sinking. You get wrapped up in this story line where the end of each chapter leaves you wondering what is going to happen next. I really like how different chapters are done through different characters perspectives rather than you only seeing everythi ...more
Rimma
Mar 27, 2012 Rimma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Read

Well, it is horror category book and I did like it.
The book is full of actions. As three friends take aboard famous Titanic, they all looking forward to an exciting future new school and job in America. However find themself alongside small group of survivors on board of Carpathian. While horror of the lost people from Titanic is still on their shoulder they just in the beginning of our story.
The captain change its course to take saved pa
Courtney
Apr 11, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover caught my eye and after reading the summary----Titanic survivors and vampires?---Pfft, I'm in.
The book starts off with the iceberg of course, then following our 3 main characters through their night in the icy Atlantic. Each chapter was pretty short and alternated between our three heroes and the two main vampires. I'm glad Forbeck did it this way, because you get to explore each person/vampire's perspective as events unfold.
Thankfully the end was satisfying and the love triangle wasn'
T English
Mar 26, 2012 T English rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like historical fiction. I like vampires that don't sparkle and are fierce. This book has all of that in abundance. The story catches you from beginning with interesting characters, in a setting we've all read about or seen in movies and/or television. But it still comes across as fresh and different than vampire stories out there today.

It's a fun vampire killing romp. A worthy tribute to Mr. Stoker's original bloodsucker. I enjoyed this book. If you're looking for a fun, well paced, and exci
Jess Faraday
A great premise: The Titanic sinks. The Carpathia, steaming to the rescue, is infested with vampires. Adventure ensues. A romantic triangle takes things a little deeper, making it more than your average monster story. Clean prose keeps things moving. A few historical errors that closer research might have caught. A few vocabulary anachronisms that probably most people wouldn't care about. But a quick, enjoyable read all the same.
Jared
Feb 01, 2012 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful What if...? alternate history involving vampires attacking the sinking Titanic. That pretty much sums up all you need to know, other than it is a completely wild, fun and gruesome romp. If you're looking for a light, fun vampire read you're going to love this book. Confidential to the author: please give Lucy her own spin-off!
David Marshall
Feb 14, 2012 David Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a first class historical horror novel as the Carpathia steams to the rescue of those pitched into the icy waters of the Atlantic. We all know the story of the Titanic. This is what happened to the survivors in the water, and after the lucky ones were rescued and began what they believed would be the journey to safety.

Dunktdunk
Feb 17, 2012 Dunktdunk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is one of the better books I have read in the past few months. I really enjoyed the historical aspects to the story coupled with the new vampire craze. An easy, fun, and fast read that kept me entertained till the end. My only complaint follows that of another reviewer, it ended to soon and without really fulfilling the readers expectations and or questions.
Kent
May 09, 2012 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, fun read! Mr. Forbeck has a knack for creating interesting characters, with no extraneous back-story weighing them down (I wanted to see more of Dale). You have everything you need to enjoy the story you are reading, with relevant history popping up when needed. This is especially well done (and amusing) when our heroes reminisce about their childhood and "Uncle Bram's book."
Ken
What do you get when you mix Titanic with vampires? You get Matt Forbeck's Carpathia. If you love the classic Hammer Horror Films then you should definitely pick up this book. A little silly but very fun indeed.

(More at http://www.paperlessreading.com/2012/...)
Deanne
Mar 04, 2014 Deanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
In the aftermath of the Titanic three survivors are picked up by the Carpathia, unfortunately it's a bit like out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Fun read as long as you don't take things to seriously.
Marty Gleason
Apr 23, 2012 Marty Gleason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matt Forbeck is a prolific and talented writer who I have had the great pleasure of meeting. Carpathia is a quick read, but thoroughly enjoyable as Matt makes Vampires scary again.

Saturday's Child
Jun 10, 2012 Saturday's Child rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the plot featured the Titanic I chose to read this and at first I did think the idea of vampires and the Titanic was a bit corny but that's not the case. This is a great read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
VAMPIRES DON'T SP...: Carpathia 2 9 Dec 12, 2013 10:05AM
VAMPS-R-US: Carpathia 1 4 Dec 08, 2013 01:48PM
  • Hell Train
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • Dead Harvest (The Collector, #1)
  • The Nazi Occult
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula
  • Blood Prophecy
  • The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector, #2)
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • The Nekropolis Archives
  • Vampyres: Lord Byron to Count Dracula
  • Hitchers
  • Lord of Slaughter (The Wolfsangel Cycle #3)
  • Bloodsworn
  • Seven Wonders
  • Architect of Fate
  • Zomby Dick or, The Undead Whale
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
I'm an award-winning, New York Times-bestselling author and game designer and happily married father of five, including a set of quadruplets. For more on my work, see Forbeck.com.
More about Matt Forbeck...

“Right." Doctor Cherryman's face lit up. Here was a way for him to grapple with the problem that the reality of vampires had presented to him. "Let's say vampires exist. What does that mean?"
"That they're bloodsucking murderers here to kill us all?" Lucy and the Doctor gaped at Quin's bald-faced assessment.
"Tell me I'm wrong," Quin said.”
1 likes