Orion and King Arthur (Orion, #6)

Orion and King Arthur (Orion)

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Orion, more than human, less than god, has fought across time and space at the whim of his vainglorious Creator, Aten the Golden One, who wants Arthur dead and forgotten. Orion disagrees, and seeks Anya, the ageless Goddess who is his one true love.
Hardcover, Tor, 383 pages
Published July 3rd 2012 by Tom Doherty (first published April 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Orion and King Arthur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orion and King Arthur

Ravon Silvius
Really 3.5 stars.

I really love the Orion novels. I've read them all except for Orion in the Dying Time because I can't find it anywhere (I believe it's out of print?).

I read most of them when I was in my teens, and I'm in my twenties now. That may explain why I wasn't quite as blown away as I was expecting.

The book still has all of the wonderful Orion goodness that I remember-his fish out of water experiences, his memories of past lives, his interactions with the Creators and with Anya/Athena...more
Joel A.
Awful. Doesn't pass the Bechdel test.
An Odd1
I'm inclined to seek earlier Bova. I like the core plot. Repetition (from senility?), no. "Curtain", Agatha Christie's (Alzeheimer-affected?) last, I liked least. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

The magic of the my always-loved traditional King Arthur legend (sword in stone, Lancelot, Morgianna) is interpreted through the interference of future human Creators who can freeze time. Old sci-fi author Arthur C. Clarke is "a wise man" whose Third Law "Any sufficiently advanced technology is i...more
David B
Orion defies his omnipotent creator Aten once again, this time vowing to protect the young King Arthur, whom Aten has decreed must die so that the timelines play out as he has planned.

This is not a bad story, but it really seems that after six novels, the mythology of this series should be more fully realized. I’ll admit that it has been many years since I read the preceding books, but the whole thing seems rather arbitrary. We know so little about the Creators. Why do they live in that city und...more
Linda
I've not read any of the other books in this series, but I was still able to follow the story. It was a good story, combining Arthurian legend with the old gods and timeline manipulation. However there was so much repetition that it became tedious at times. Example: Orion carried a dagger given him by Odysseus, concealed beneath his tunic. Each time it was referred to, it was with that rather long description. By the 2nd time, I knew where he got the dagger, but the author kept repeating it! The...more
Brian
As a kid, Ben Bova's Orion saga was a formidable and eye-opening experience that taught me how thought-provoking and bad-ass reading books could be. It's probably with that extraordinary bias that I rate this latest installment, written a decade or more after the first five, as high as three stars. Bova has a great story here, but ultimately he's not that skilled in the craft of fiction, and also I imagine that you have to have read the first five or this would make absolutely no sense. I still...more
Ethan Beck
it was interesting to re-visit the Orion series. When I first started reading this after finishing book 5 I had to put it aside because it was too boring.
Having read a few books in a different series I came back to it and forced myself to get over the slow start to get to the slow middle. It remained somewhat lacklustre and disjointed throughout and the pace never really picked up like some of the previous novels. It was good to conclude the series, but if this were a music album it would be cri...more
David Davies
This book is really a combination of all the Orion and king Arthur short stories from the authors website (which I had already read) and I think thats the main reason this is my least favourite Orion book, I cant think of anything new thats been added to overall story.
After reading all the other books in the series, the backstory of Orion and Aten's feud seems to have gone backwards quite a bit from where it was in the previous books. Maybe the stories that this book combines were written befor...more
William

A bit disappointed in it. It read as if it were a compiled sequel, many passages re-iterating what had gone before. Felt a bit like I was looking at a remedial reading reader for those with short attention spans. Premise interesting, quality not up to my memory of Bova's skill as a writer.
David Todd
Time travel and gods are not favorites of mine. In combination, they change the story into something that is unpredictable, unbelievable, and mostly un interesting. The kind of book that you finish because of your overactive conscious, driven into you by an overbearing parent. Sorry Ben Bova.
Bryan Schmidt
Really solid and fun read. My first for the Orion series but I want to read more. I really enjoyed the historical revision and the voice of the Orion character. Some of the descriptions of sword fighting and life as knights seemed quite realistic.
Chang
I loved the Orion series in middle school, but Orion and King Arthur is horrible. It's an insult to both Orion and King Arthur. It's so bad M. Night Shyamalan's gonna make a movie of it. Starring Nic Cage.
Gerald
A pleasant read but a lot of needless repetition. Could be a third shorter. Still, it was entertaining and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a light read.
Lloyd
Simply Wonderful like all of Bova's stuff!
Ben Jennings
Ben Jennings marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Jonathan Lawrence
Jonathan Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Brianna L
Brianna L marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Patricia Mick
Patricia Mick is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2014
Mack Partee
Mack Partee marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Tehmoginz
Tehmoginz marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo...more
More about Ben Bova...