Start by marking “True colors: and other short stories” as Want to Read:
True colors: and other short stories

True colors: and other short stories

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In this short story collection, Michelle Davidson Argyle shares sixteen of her literary pieces written during 1999 - 2011. In the title story, "True Colors," the main character fights her vibrant personality against the true darkness lurking within her. The story builds until a row of six dead birds stop her in her tracks. In the opening story, "Thread," (also published in ...more
Published by MDA Books (first published November 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about True colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True colors

Ken
Nov 07, 2014 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to prefer a sparse writing style when it comes to short fiction, and this collection is quite the opposite. Still, I enjoyed the lush, poetic prose, vivid imagery and—above all—the nonlinearity. Reading these stories was like savoring a fine Merlot, one that’s full-bodied with an extra buttery flavor. They’re meant to be sipped, to linger on the tongue. Argyle manages to say a lot in these very short stories—many of them are flash fiction. I didn’t appreciate the short poems quite as much ...more
Tiffany Cole
Jan 17, 2012 Tiffany Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Colors have a way of fascinating, whether wrapped in paper and stuffed in a box, or pushing fistfuls through topsoil, screaming, "I am here at last!"'

The above qoute, from 'Clover' on page 89, summarizes this collection of literary short stories (with the occasional poem) perfectly. Colors, secrets, symbolism, imagery, love lost and gained, nature...each of these play a considerably large role in the sixteen stories within.

When I think of these stories, I can't help but compare them to snapsho
Anne Gallagher
Nov 30, 2011 Anne Gallagher rated it it was amazing
As a former private chef, I would use food to create my art. Pairing flavor with texture, color and aroma, my canvas was a testimony to my love of gastronomic delight. Michelle Davidson Argylle’s TRUE COLORS Anthology borrows from my kitchen. Her mastery of the English language is like indulging in the finest seven-course meal. The subtle word play, combined with deliberate description, made me long for a nice glass of wine to accompany every page. Every story adds a new flavor, a new dimension ...more
Amie McCracken
Dec 01, 2011 Amie McCracken rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
True Colors by Michelle Davidson Argyle is a stunning collection of literary short stories and poems self-published by the author.

I found the imagery to be absolutely stark, the language fluid and convoluted in a beautiful way, and the stories natural and inviting in their life-like portrayal. Michelle brings the reader directly into the stories with colors and emotions and dialogue.

The symbolic meanings behind a lot of her metaphors are clear but strong. Water is a constant among her stories, a
Jamie White
When I decided to embark on the 52 Books in 52 weeks challenge, I had a hard time picking which book would be first. I've got a bunch of books by indie authors waiting to be read. I finally decided to start with True Colors.

This isn't your typical short story book for the most part. Many of them read more like poetry and stream-of-consciousness, not what I was expecting. Still it was enjoyable and Michelle's descriptions are great, filled with colorful and poetic imagery that draws you in.

Here a
Jessica Bell
Feb 04, 2012 Jessica Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've now updated my list of my MOST favourite lines of ALL time from this book: "this world would be much better in black and white with just the sound of your blue eyes to hit a chord inside my violin body." I'm breathless.

This book is my absolute cup of tea. In fact, my tea cup is overflowing with enthusiasm for these gorgeous and evocative pieces of ART. Yes. ART. I don't think you can just call this book literature. I think it deserves to be framed and displayed for all to see.
Annie Cechini
True Colors is a thought-provoking collection that you can't just inhale like a #2 from the golden arches (not that there isn't a time and place for such devourable snacks). Like everything else I've read from Michelle Davidson Argyle, True Colors is a read with profound ideas and layers of meaning bubbling beneath the surface that will leave you pondering on the state of humanity long after you read the last line.
Clarissa Draper
Jan 13, 2012 Clarissa Draper rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This is a wonderful collection of short stories, each with a unique theme. There will be a story in this book that really hits you. There are also poems in her book, but because I'm not really a poetry person, I didn't enjoy them as much as the stories. My favorite story is Clover.
Sonja Herbert
Jul 19, 2012 Sonja Herbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle is a literary, flowery writer. Sometimes her similes don't work however, and the reader gets the impression that she's trying too hard. I enjoyed her short stories, however, and will also read some of her novels in the future..
Cassandra Carney
Cassandra Carney rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Tonya Tingey
Tonya Tingey marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Sue Rowland
Sue Rowland rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Heather Miller
Heather Miller rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2016
Krizzel Abolencia
Krizzel Abolencia marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Eliza Mae
Eliza Mae marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Tabitha Poorvu
Tabitha Poorvu marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Hoss
Hoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Kalyn
Kalyn rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Michele Roper
Michele Roper marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Suman Panda
Suman Panda marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
James Ritchie
James Ritchie marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Emily Johnson
Emily Johnson marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Stitch
Stitch added it
Mar 29, 2015
Nayira
Nayira added it
Mar 01, 2015
Jae Park
Jae Park rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michelle lives and writes in Utah, surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. She adores cheese, chocolate, sushi, and lots of ethnic food, and loves to read and write books in the time she grabs between her sword-wielding husband and energetic daughter. She believes a simple life is the best life. Michelle writes contemporary Young Adult and New Adult fiction (and other genres when she feels up to it).
More about Michelle D. Argyle...