Start by marking “Alice's Adventures Under Ground: The Story That Became Alice in Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Alice's Adventures Under Ground: The Story That Became Alice in Wonderland

Alice's Adventures Under Ground: The Story That Became Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 0)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Alice was published in 1865, three years after the Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson and the Reverend Robinson Duckworth rowed in a boat, on 4 July 1862, up the River Thames with the three young daughters of Henry Liddell, (the Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University and Dean of Christ Church) : Lorina Charlotte Liddell (aged 13, born 1849) ("Prima" in the book's prefatory ve ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1864)

To ask other readers questions about Alice's Adventures Under Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice's Adventures Under Ground

Kimley
Mar 08, 2010 Kimley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the real Alice as photographed by Lewis Carroll back in the 1860s:

I suspect Humbert Humbert would approve...

Unsubstantiated rumors aside, this is a wonderful replica of the original book that Carroll hand wrote and illustrated himself as a gift for the young Alice. You can see the original manuscript at the British Library which has been a highlight of all my trips to London. Hopefully they've cleaned up the drool I left on the glass case when I was last there ogling it.

This book is only
Tosh
Mar 17, 2009 Tosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exact reproduction of the book given to Alice by Lewis Carroll. What we have here is an early version of 'Alice in the Wonderland' with illustrations by the author. A very beautiful book by a unique genius. There is always the question of what Carroll's desires lie with respect to young Alice - but the truth is Carroll is a brilliant mind that wrote literature that is superb in every corner of the mind - the light and the dark. This book would make a great gift. To that special someone.
Aishwarya
Feb 09, 2015 Aishwarya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The original manuscript of Alice is pretty much Alice minus almost all the things I love about Alice. The Cheshire Cat doesn't figure in the letters. Neither do the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, the Duchess or the Dormouse. Babies don't turn into pigs, the cook doesn't set everyone sneezing and one of my favorite lines "We're all mad here" doesn't exist in this universe.

But it isn't all bad. The Mock Turtle might not talk about Drawling or Fainting in coils but he does sing "Soop of the e-evening
Tommie
Aug 09, 2013 Tommie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This particular book is one of my favorite possessions. Alice in Wonderland was my favorite story growing up. This book has photos of the "real" Alice, the little girl for whom Carroll wrote his stories. It is also a reproduction of his original stories, in his handwriting, exactly the same as what he gave to Alice as a final gift. My mother purchased it for me before she passed away which makes it even more special. A beautiful copy of a beloved story.
Gabrielle
Jan 31, 2016 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of amazing books, fantastic illustrations, and just happiness in general then please pick up a copy of Alice's Adventures Underground. Even if it's just to use as decoration, I can promise you it will be a fantastic investment.
READ MY FULL REVIEW HERE: https://frumiousreadsbooks.wordpress....

Subscribe to me on YouTube! youtube.com/c/Frumious
Sarah Kingston
Dec 31, 2015 Sarah Kingston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read one of my many copies of Alice in Wonderland in recognition of the 150th Anniversary of the novel, and on the final day of 2015, I remembered that goal and sat down with the facsimile of the original manuscript for the book that became Alice. It's a lot of fun to see where the version which we are all so familiar with came from, and it's hard not to get a little thrill when you see the familiar words set down in the author's own hand. As a first draft, it of course does lack som ...more
Cheri
Dec 16, 2007 Cheri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama-british
I really wanted to like this play, I loved the idea of revisiting Alice in Wonderland for it's deeper meanings, but the work seems strangely lightweight. At times I couldn't tell if it was geared to children or adults. It fails to work for either. Now, I didn't see it in performance, so maybe there's more to it once the performances are in place.
So much of the work of Carroll seems to speak to children because it taps into the feelings of powerlessness in the face of what seems like Adult capri
Bucletina
Oct 17, 2015 Bucletina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Preveo varias lecturas de este libro en un futuro mediano...
Linovariel
Jan 29, 2016 Linovariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Alice in Wonderland. I love the cheesy Disney movie, the not-so-great Tim Burton adaptation (I’m very much looking forward to the sequel) and the fairly surreal (and somewhat unnerving) 1998 Alice through the Looking Glass. So of course I do very much enjoy the book itself. When I saw the opportunity to purchase this anniversary edition of the original manuscript, I took it.

This story is significantly more simple than the more widely known Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.It’s missing som
Elena
Apr 28, 2013 Elena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque no es nada como la versión final y la más conocida... es interesante conocer cómo surgió Alicia en el país de las maravillas. También valen la pena las ilustraciones originales que hiciera Lewis Caroll. Creo que este libro es sólo para fanáticos del original.
Sarah Crawford
This is a facsimile of the original book about Alice that Charles Dodgson/Lewis Carroll first wrote and gave to Alice Liddell. The book was written by hand and the illustrations were done by Carroll. There are some differences between this and the book Alice in Wonderland that was published later. A few of these include eating the top or bottom of the mushroom, not the sides; using ostriches instead of flamingos in the croquet game, no caucus race, and the Queen takes Alice to see the mock turtl ...more
pietastic
The original Alice. Much shorter, than the one you know. The Duchess and Cheshire cat and the tea party came later. This is the one he made by hand and gave to the little (Liddell) girl who inspired it all. The published version is, of course, better for having those and many other things, but this one is still so wonderful.

But do be sure to find a facsimile to read, for it's Carroll's own handwriting and illustrations that make it wonderful. His leaping Gryphon and Mock Turtle remain one of my
Rikke
Would I recommend this book to everyone? No. I would only recommend this to anyone with a deep interest in the differences between a manuscript and a published book, and with an intense love for Alice and her Wonderland. "Alice's Adventures Under Ground" isn't a good book - but it is an interesting one.

Basically this is a facsimile, a reproduction of the original story that would eventually evolve into "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". It is the short, handwritten version that Lewis Carroll ga
Dave
Before it was published for all the world to read as “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”, the original adventure story had been written up and given to Alice Liddell as “Alice’s Adventures under Ground”. Lewis Carroll (a.k.a Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) had promised to write it for her after telling the story on the “golden afternoon” on July 4th, 1862 and which Dodgson wrote down and gave to Alice on September 13th, 1864. The original story was shorter than “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderlan ...more
Diane Lund
Jul 26, 2011 Diane Lund rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, blogs
Roaylties på bøger ophæves efter 70 år. Det betyder, at alle de kendte klassiskere findes gratis på Amazon Kindle Store. Efter at have brugt det meste af en eftermiddag på at klassikere, satte jeg mig forventningsfuld tilrette med "Adventures of Tom Sawyer". Efter 15 minutter var jeg en erfaring rigere: Jeg er ganske habil til engelsk anno 2011 - men ikke anno 1876.

Så jeg bladrede videre i min klassiske kollektion og kastede mig over en endnu ældre bog: Alice's adventure in Wonderland, af Lewis
David Sarkies
Apr 06, 2014 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The original Alice
6 June 2013

This is what is typically known as an ur-text, namely a rough draft that has been extensively rewritten to produce the final work (though when I think of an ur-text, I usually think of the ancient world). Needless to say it is nowhere near as good as the original text, though for some reason people wanted Lewis Carol (or whatever his name is, and I can't be bothered looking it up at the moment) to publish the original story that he told Alice Liddel that day they we
Lindsay
One sentence impression: An innocent (and at times, trying) misadventure into wonderment, whereupon the simple-minded Alice meets (and subsequently annoys) a motley population of rodents, birds, insects and playing cards.

Top Hit: the didatic interchange between Alice and the cantankerous caterpillar. I, as the reader, gained much enjoyment imagining Alice's blood boiling from the caterpillar's air of detachment and general distaste.
"Come back!" the caterpillar called after her, "I've something
Karl Orbell
Nov 22, 2013 Karl Orbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson). He was a good scholar at Oxford and did a lot of work in the foundations of mathematical disciplines very important to computing, my own field. Plus he was a skilled photographer and of course, one of the earliest well known fantasy authors.

This little book has a long introduction, a potted biography of Dodgson, particularly around the initial conception and creation of the book that made his name, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and i
Lucas Oliveira
According to the Oxford dictionary, the definition of fantasy is the product of imagining the impossible or improbable things.The two books involving Alice, and the fantasy is clearly used because Alice creates a fantasy in your dreams. During the stories you can see the relationship between fantasy and the real world in the characters as examples the Queen of Hearts in the real world would be a boring teacher or a annoying boss, the rabbit would be an adult who only thinks about the job and the ...more
Danna
Aug 17, 2008 Danna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another long-time favorite, Alice never fails to enchant. Good old Charles Lutwidge Dodgson! To quote the Wiki, which has it written quite succinctly: "Though information is scarce (Dodgson's diaries for the years 1858–1862 are missing), it does seem clear that his friendship with the Liddell family was an important part of his life in the late 1850s, and he grew into the habit of taking the children (first the boy, Harry, and later the three girls) on rowing trips to nearby Nuneham Courtenay or ...more
sabisteb
Am 4. July 1862 unternahmen Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) und sein Freund Robinson Duckworth mit den drei Töchtern von Henry Liddell (dem Vizekanzler der Universität von Oxford) eine Paddaltour auf dem Flüsschen Isis. Die drei Mädchen an Bord waren Lorina Charlotte Liddell ("Prima" im einleitenden Gedicht), Alice Pleasance Liddell ("Secunda" im einleitenden Gedicht) und Edith Mary Liddell ("Tertia" im einleitenden Gedicht). Auf dieser Bootstour erzählte Lewis Carroll die Geschichte vo ...more
Kalen
Aug 10, 2014 Kalen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a e-book and I don't think the digital form does the story justice. Within the first few pages of the story Alice explains that she wouldn't want to read a book that didn't have conversations or pictures. Well this e-book did not have any images, however the e-book would politely remind you that there usually was a illustration after a paragraph by writing [Illustration]. I found it harder to enjoy the story without the images since I've always enjoyed Lewis Carroll's art.
Tim Vandenberg
Jul 09, 2014 Tim Vandenberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No true Alice fan can go without reading this ORIGINAL, HAND-MADE 1st-draft edition by Lewis Carroll himself, all painstakingly completed for the REAL Alice (Liddell) herself! Carroll truly adored the person of Alice Liddell (as the love & effort poured into this volume clearly shows!). HOW much he "adored" her and in what capacity is for Carroll scholars to debate & argue about forever until his "lost" diary pages are discovered buried somewhere in Oxford!
Rebecca
Apr 03, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was so interesting to see this version of the story. There is just something so fascinating about reading a story written in the author's own hand and with his original illustrations. Plus the differences between this 2nd version and the version best well known today. I also loved getting to read his notes and additional thoughts. A definite must-read for any Alice aficionados.
Kathi Aurelia
I really enjoyed Sally Brown's introduction, it was very unbiased (after all who knows what of those rumours is true?). Even though I alread knew most of the things, it was intersting nevertheless.

The story itself is a little differnent from the official one, but just as wonderful and Carroll's illustrations are really adorable. Also, Alice is the cutest and so relatable, also such a foot in mouth person. Of course, they aren't as elaborate as Tenniel's, still they are wonderful. If I was able t
Amy Greenlese
Sep 28, 2015 Amy Greenlese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this pre-thought to Alice in Wonderland. I loved the illustrations. I missed not reading about the Mad Tea Party though. That was always my favorite part of Alice's world. I loved reading a book that was rare and ever since I bought it for my friend I have yet to see it still on the shelves. Makes it even more special.
Nikki
'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' is far and away my favourite book of all time. For some reason though, I'd never read the original, shorter version - until now. First off, I have to say I am completely in love with this facsimile edition - actually seeing Carroll's own written words and drawings is amazing. I also love the last page of the book, where he refers to the real-life Alice. That adds a whole other dimension to the book and makes you realize that this was meant as a private gift, no ...more
Kathleen DuVall
A short, sweet story about Alice that is supposedly the initial premise for Alice in Wonderland. It was on the "always available" list at the library so I thought I would read it. I found it inventive and a great story for a young reader who is maybe transitioning from children's books to chapter based ones.
Corina Marie
Oct 01, 2015 Corina Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice and Wonderland is such a classic, I've never read the book, so I decided to read the original! I really enjoyed it because the way it was written made everything come to life! I definitely recommend it as a read, it is fun and adventurous!
Ashley Bostrom
May 02, 2015 Ashley Bostrom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This version is shortened from the original - to fit the Italian text in as well - so while you miss out on the tea party and the entirety of the trial, you do get a wonderful hand-written font and some charming sketches to go along with it.
  • The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland
  • Coraline and Other Stories
  • Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast
  • Alice in Sunderland
  • Alice in Wonderland: A Visual Companion
  • Aunt Jane's Nieces (Aunt Jane's Nieces, #1)
  • Inventing Wonderland: the Lives and Fantasies of Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, J.M. Barrie, Kenneth Grahame and A.A. Milne
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2 books)
  • Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)
  • Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2)

“deep well. Either the” 0 likes