Start by marking “Unfair Advantage” as Want to Read:
Unfair Advantage

Unfair Advantage

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In 1974, Mark Donohue took a year off from driving at the height of his racing career to write "The Unfair Advantage," a candid and revealing book about his journey through the world of auto racing -- from amateur SCCA races in his own '57 Corvette to winning the Indy 500 in Roger Penske's McLaren M16. This new edition contains over 60 additional photographs and comments f ...more
Published November 9th 2000 by Robert Bentley, Inc (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Unfair Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfair Advantage

Tim
Donohue is a more obscure figure, at least outside the US, than he probably deserves, and even in the US he tends to get mentioned after guys like Foyt and Andretti. A lot of very good judges rated him very highly however, and his results speak for themselves - he won in just about every category and type of car he attempted, and he was Penske's top driver for many years.

More than being a top line driver, though, like Bruce McLaren he was also a very good race engineer, capable of building and d
Steve
The fact this book exists at all is pretty amazing. Professional race car driver Mark Donohue retired at the peak of his career and wrote a biography. Coaxed back into racing he died shortly after the book was published.

This is very much a history of racing in '60s to early '70s. From the book you really get a feel for how the times have changed. Engineering is much better understood and driver safety was virtually nonexistent.
Katie
Jul 07, 2009 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People really interesting in cars and racing.
My mom was a massive Mark Donohue fan, and I still have one of her t-shirts from the '70s with his car on it. I grew up around car racing and am interested in the subject.

Mark Donohue was killed in a racing accident not long after this book was published, so reading it is bittersweet at best. Unfortunately, a lot of it is pretty technical and car-centric in a way that really doesn't interest me at all. However, I really like his conversational style of writing, so I'm going to keep going in the
Magnus Borg
Great book if you are into the early days of racing in North America (Can-Am and Trans-Am) and the career of the late Mark Donohue.
Michael Czeiszperger
I tend to give memoir writers a pass since they aren't really writers, but couldn't finish this one. There are some interesting technical details in there, and its amazing this level of detail exists about a professional racer, but I just couldn't wade through all of the irrelevant details.
Jim Evans
One of the best, if not The best book about racing. The book covers several years of racing in the 60s and 70s, and gives some insite into the way motor sports has changed and the way technoledgy has advanced in such a short time. Much of the book is pretty technical and bit repetative, but very entertaining.
Ryan Mccann
An engaging and in-depth look in to the career of Donohue.
Cathy
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this...
Kelley
I enjoyed it but it was rather dry.
Werner Dahm
Werner Dahm marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Terrell Olvera
Terrell Olvera marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
John Sauer
John Sauer marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Christopher Nieman
Christopher Nieman marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Mike Gagliardi
Mike Gagliardi marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
KAYNE HICKMAN
KAYNE HICKMAN marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Bob Doernberg
Bob Doernberg marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Ryan
Ryan added it
Jan 23, 2015
Allyita
Allyita marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Typology of Semantic Alignment The Papuan Languages A Grammar of Tukang Besi 5x2: Research and the Making of Architecture (Cca Architecture Studio)