Start by marking “Unfair Advantage” as Want to Read:
Unfair Advantage

Unfair Advantage

In 1974, Mark Donohue took a year off from driving at the height of his racing career to write "The Unfair Advantage," a candid and revealing book about his journey through the world of auto racing -- from amateur SCCA races in his own '57 Corvette to winning the Indy 500 in Roger Penske's McLaren M16. This new edition contains over 60 additional photographs and comments f ...more
Published November 9th 2000 by Robert Bentley, Inc (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Unfair Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfair Advantage

Dec 05, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport, motorsport
Donohue is a more obscure figure, at least outside the US, than he probably deserves, and even in the US he tends to get mentioned after guys like Foyt and Andretti. A lot of very good judges rated him very highly however, and his results speak for themselves - he won in just about every category and type of car he attempted, and he was Penske's top driver for many years.

More than being a top line driver, though, like Bruce McLaren he was also a very good race engineer, capable of building and d
Apr 16, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The fact this book exists at all is pretty amazing. Professional race car driver Mark Donohue retired at the peak of his career and wrote a biography. Coaxed back into racing he died shortly after the book was published.

This is very much a history of racing in '60s to early '70s. From the book you really get a feel for how the times have changed. Engineering is much better understood and driver safety was virtually nonexistent.
Kyle Miller
Oct 06, 2016 Kyle Miller rated it really liked it
Enjoyable insight into the career of a race driver/engineer. I especially enjoyed the commentary about the development of each of the cars and their challenges.
Jul 07, 2009 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People really interesting in cars and racing.
My mom was a massive Mark Donohue fan, and I still have one of her t-shirts from the '70s with his car on it. I grew up around car racing and am interested in the subject.

Mark Donohue was killed in a racing accident not long after this book was published, so reading it is bittersweet at best. Unfortunately, a lot of it is pretty technical and car-centric in a way that really doesn't interest me at all. However, I really like his conversational style of writing, so I'm going to keep going in the
Jim Evans
Jan 16, 2008 Jim Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best, if not The best book about racing. The book covers several years of racing in the 60s and 70s, and gives some insite into the way motor sports has changed and the way technoledgy has advanced in such a short time. Much of the book is pretty technical and bit repetative, but very entertaining.
Terrell Olvera
Aug 19, 2016 Terrell Olvera rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I have always been fascinated by this time period, but this book really brought it to life. I hope video games can introduce a new generation to this era of racing . Definitely a good candidate for a movie. Amazing what they were able to accomplish. A must-read for racing history buffs.
Michael Czeiszperger
Apr 28, 2015 Michael Czeiszperger rated it it was ok
I tend to give memoir writers a pass since they aren't really writers, but couldn't finish this one. There are some interesting technical details in there, and its amazing this level of detail exists about a professional racer, but I just couldn't wade through all of the irrelevant details.
Jordon Welle
Feb 06, 2016 Jordon Welle rated it really liked it
Shelves: racing
Great engineering perspective into Donohue's career and the processes used to develop each car he drove. Somewhat dry at times and outdated for the current era, but an interesting look at how things were done in that era.
Magnus Borg
May 13, 2015 Magnus Borg rated it really liked it
Great book if you are into the early days of racing in North America (Can-Am and Trans-Am) and the career of the late Mark Donohue.
Erik Asplund
Erik Asplund rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Justin rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2008
Eric rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Jul 07, 2009 Kelley rated it liked it
I enjoyed it but it was rather dry.
Paul H McLester
Paul H McLester rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2013
Jonathan Gala
Jonathan Gala rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
James Parks
James Parks rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Jon Lefors
Jon Lefors rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Amar rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Ed Wells
Ed Wells rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Randy Berlin
Randy Berlin rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Bob Quinn
Bob Quinn rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Greg Howell
Greg Howell rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Austin Cindric
Austin Cindric rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Jerry Beck
Jerry Beck rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Douglas rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Jun 02, 2011 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this...
Bob Miller
Bob Miller rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Wkvasileff rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2008
Paul Cuenin
Paul Cuenin rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
  • Speed Secrets: Professional Race Driving Techniques
  • It Is What It Is: The Autobiography
  • Engineering: A Very Short Introduction
  • Life at the Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One
  • Driving with the Devil: Southern Moonshine, Detroit Wheels, and the Birth of NASCAR
  • Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach